Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 18th Nov 16, 1:05 PM
    • 9,190Posts
    • 22,031Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Struggling with debt? Ask a debt adviser a question
    • 18th Nov 16, 1:05 PM
    Struggling with debt? Ask a debt adviser a question 18th Nov 16 at 1:05 PM
    If you need help with your debts, this is the thread for you.

Trained advisers from StepChange Debt Charity (formerly CCCS) are here and waiting to answer your debt questions. They're a friendly bunch so please don't be shy!

There are three ways to get in touch:

1 - Simply post your question below and the team will reply. If your question is about bankruptcy, then pop over to the Bankruptcy board.

2 - If you would prefer to ask a question in private, feel free to send a message to StepChange Private Messages.

3 - StepChange Debt Remedy is a free and confidential online debt advice tool. You can put a budget together at your pace, and you can also talk it over with an adviser through online chat.

If you're a StepChange Debt Charity client already, please contact its Aftercare team rather than posting in this thread (their contact details are in your Welcome Pack).

If you're self employed and need debt help please get in touch with Business Debtline.

This is discussion thread part four, see parts one, two and three.

If you haven't already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 24-07-2018 at 2:41 PM.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 37
    • AndyH_76
    • By AndyH_76 17th Apr 18, 12:49 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AndyH_76
    BW Legal
    I have been paying off a debt with Lowell via B2 Legal since December 2015 (paid £1400 with £1237.81 outstanding)
    I also found out that I am being made redundant and as such I asked if there was a final payment they would accept as I know that in a couple of months, I will have to revisit what I pay and make reduced payments and therefore spread it over a number of extra years.
    the advisor came back and said they would accept a final figure of £992.25 to which I replied that would be out of the question. I said I could afford £400 and that I would pay that at the end of may.
    the advisor said they would ask their client. I recieved the below back today

"Our Client is prepared to a settlement of £990.25 in settlement of the Balance Due. This sum must be paid in full no later than 1 May 2018.

Once the discounted payment has been received on time, your debt under account number 147880793 will be marked as partially satisfied on your credit file. This will bring this matter to a close and the Principal Balance will no longer be pursued.

If payment is not received on time, this will represent a material breach of this Agreement and this Agreement will be terminated automatically without notice. At such time, the discount applied to the Principal Balance will no longer apply and the full amount of the debt will become due and owing, with credit being provided for any sums previously received. Our Client will then pursue the full amount of the debt."

I cannot pay the £990.25 but reading this, I find it an intimidating response and I am now worried they are looking to take me to court in order to get this.

As I stated to them, I havent missed a payment and back in 2015, the "client" was prepared to accept a one off £1000. help!!!!
    • FloFlo
    • By FloFlo 17th Apr 18, 8:43 PM
    • 32,186 Posts
    • 211,356 Thanks
    FloFlo
    Really worried, husband filled in stepchange review without telling me and has messed up the wages figures not sure how he's managed it but put in wrong figures and sent it. I only spotted it because they sent an email saying the amount would change - showing it going up by £771 a month. It won't allow me to change the review online, only by phoning and they are shut now - will they be able to change the figures if I phone them, so worried.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 17th Apr 18, 10:59 PM
    • 15,311 Posts
    • 14,399 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Really worried, husband filled in stepchange review without telling me and has messed up the wages figures not sure how he's managed it but put in wrong figures and sent it. I only spotted it because they sent an email saying the amount would change - showing it going up by £771 a month. It won't allow me to change the review online, only by phoning and they are shut now - will they be able to change the figures if I phone them, so worried.
    Originally posted by FloFlo
    Dont panic, ring them in the morning and they will sort it out, it will not be a problem honestly!!!
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • FloFlo
    • By FloFlo 18th Apr 18, 12:04 AM
    • 32,186 Posts
    • 211,356 Thanks
    FloFlo
    Dont panic, ring them in the morning and they will sort it out, it will not be a problem honestly!!!
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    Thank you, I will do x
  • StepChange_Allen
    I have been paying off a debt with Lowell via B2 Legal since December 2015 (paid £1400 with £1237.81 outstanding)
    I also found out that I am being made redundant and as such I asked if there was a final payment they would accept as I know that in a couple of months, I will have to revisit what I pay and make reduced payments and therefore spread it over a number of extra years.
    the advisor came back and said they would accept a final figure of £992.25 to which I replied that would be out of the question. I said I could afford £400 and that I would pay that at the end of may.
    the advisor said they would ask their client. I recieved the below back today

"Our Client is prepared to a settlement of £990.25 in settlement of the Balance Due. This sum must be paid in full no later than 1 May 2018.

Once the discounted payment has been received on time, your debt under account number 147880793 will be marked as partially satisfied on your credit file. This will bring this matter to a close and the Principal Balance will no longer be pursued.

If payment is not received on time, this will represent a material breach of this Agreement and this Agreement will be terminated automatically without notice. At such time, the discount applied to the Principal Balance will no longer apply and the full amount of the debt will become due and owing, with credit being provided for any sums previously received. Our Client will then pursue the full amount of the debt."

I cannot pay the £990.25 but reading this, I find it an intimidating response and I am now worried they are looking to take me to court in order to get this.

As I stated to them, I havent missed a payment and back in 2015, the "client" was prepared to accept a one off £1000. help!!!!
    Originally posted by AndyH_76

Hi Andy

Thanks for posting.

I can understand what you mean with this, but I think overall it's just a standard settlement offer letter because you've suggested you're interested in a settlement. However I see your point that you didn't offer this amount.

When sending a settlement offer, they have to state the amount they'll accept, that it'll be a partial settlement, that the offer is there for a limited period and that they can continue with collections action once the offer expires. I don't think the phrase about this being an agreement and if you don't pay it being a 'material breach of the agreement' is worded very well, because you've not actually agreed to pay this. However to me it's just jargon and doesn't mean anything as serious as it may sound.

They're no more likely to take court action now compared to before you discussed a settlement, but they could do at any time as your original agreement is no longer in place.

In reality, it's unlikely that settlement offers ever really expire; if you called up 2 weeks later and asked to settle for the same amount they'd probably agree to it. Having said that, creditors aren't obliged to offer a settlement figure at all.

All in all, I'd continue what you were doing before and let them know you decline the settlement offer as it's unaffordable as per your previous conversation.

I hope this helps.

Allen
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy.

Don't be afraid of getting debt advice. We'll help you take one more step towards getting help with your debt.
  • StepChange_Allen
    Originally posted by FloFlo

Hi FloFlo

Thanks for posting.

Yes, as sourcrates says, if you give us a call we can make any necessary adjustments to your budget to make sure your monthly payment is the right, affordable amount. Please don't worry, just get in touch and we'll sort it.

Best wishes

Allen
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy.

Don't be afraid of getting debt advice. We'll help you take one more step towards getting help with your debt.
    • Webbo8
    • By Webbo8 18th Apr 18, 6:50 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Webbo8
    Poor Effort from Retailer?
    Hello!
    I have received a letter from a debt management firm concerning payment for an item I ordered from Studio for the amount of £12.79 in June of last year.

I am well organised financially and do not miss payments so to receive this led me to investigate what went wrong here.
    I would usually pay at time of order so I can only imagine that invoice was the only option.
    I received the item but Iíve never received an invoice.

I am not a regular Studio customer however I had an account with them as Iíd made an order with them 4 years earlier in 2013. So 2 orders in 5 years.

When I received this letter today, I logged into my account and saw that statements were being sent to me regularly which I couldnít understand. I then saw that they have 2 addresses on file for me my Ďhomeí address: and my Ďaccountí address.

The delivery was correctly made to my Ďhomeí address.

My problem here is that the statements for this item were being sent to my old address. I have tenants in this property and they did not send any of the statements to me. Which really is frustrating.

I have lived at my current address since 2015.

I have looked through my emails and I have never received a payment reminder by email either. Nor a call from Studio. In 2018 you would think that this would be a given. Iíve never known an online retailer that relies solely on post!

To receive this letter for an item costing £12 is disappointing. The item was for my wedding last summer which as you can understand was a very busy year for me!

Should Studio have made more effort to contact me?
    • Webbo8
    • By Webbo8 19th Apr 18, 9:50 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Webbo8
    I forgot to mention they are now asking for £50!
  • StepChange_Rachael
    Hi

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum.

I agree, you would have thought that Studio would have tried to contact you by further means than post to chase for the payment before they passed it to a collections agency. However, they aren't legally obliged to. A creditor only has to use one form of contact.

It is strange that they've not phoned you, it's more common that a creditor would receive complaints because of too much contact rather than not enough.

If the old address was listed as your billing address this might be why the statements were sent to your old address but the item was delivered to your current address.

I'd suggest contacting Studio to explain the situation, if any charges have been added then hopefully they'd be willing to deduct these. I'd also suggest making a formal complain if it can't be resolved with the initial phone call.

Thanks
    Rachael

Hello!
    I have received a letter from a debt management firm concerning payment for an item I ordered from Studio for the amount of £12.79 in June of last year.

I am well organised financially and do not miss payments so to receive this led me to investigate what went wrong here.
    I would usually pay at time of order so I can only imagine that invoice was the only option.
    I received the item but I!!!8217;ve never received an invoice.

I am not a regular Studio customer however I had an account with them as I!!!8217;d made an order with them 4 years earlier in 2013. So 2 orders in 5 years.

When I received this letter today, I logged into my account and saw that statements were being sent to me regularly which I couldn!!!8217;t understand. I then saw that they have 2 addresses on file for me my !!!8216;home!!!8217; address: and my !!!8216;account!!!8217; address.

The delivery was correctly made to my !!!8216;home!!!8217; address.

My problem here is that the statements for this item were being sent to my old address. I have tenants in this property and they did not send any of the statements to me. Which really is frustrating.

I have lived at my current address since 2015.

I have looked through my emails and I have never received a payment reminder by email either. Nor a call from Studio. In 2018 you would think that this would be a given. I!!!8217;ve never known an online retailer that relies solely on post!

To receive this letter for an item costing £12 is disappointing. The item was for my wedding last summer which as you can understand was a very busy year for me!

Should Studio have made more effort to contact me?
    Originally posted by Webbo8
    Last edited by StepChange_Rachael; 19-04-2018 at 10:14 AM.

• Draggon
    • By Draggon 24th Apr 18, 8:55 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Draggon
    Debt Advice needed please
    Hello, hoping someone can offer some advice.
    We (wife and I) are around £26,000 in debt with a mortgage on top of that.
    We both have 2 young children who are now at school and in 2013 & 2014 (wife then me) went part time from our full time jobs, only down to 4 days instead of 5, each.
    This, we did not budget or plan for (I know wrong thing to do) but it was the best thing we could do at the time for our children to help with childcare costs and actually spend time with them.

Anyway long story short we wracked up debt.

All of the £26000 is currently on 5 credit cards all on 0% which we move around when the deal ends. So far this has worked as the debt was higher.

Our current mortgage fixed rate (2.84%) does not end until May 2020 and if we get out of the deal now we will have to pay £5000 for the privilege

I think we are doing the right/best thing we can at the moment by shifting the debt around the 0% deals but my main worry is that come 2020 and we are in the actual middle/start of the Brexit fiasco the good Mortgage deals will be gone.

We are now both back to almost full time salaries now which are ok and so hopefully we can start clearing the debt...I hope.

My real question is....is it worth pursuing a good mortgage deal now, paying the £5000 get out fee and consolidating our debt into the new mortgage? We have equity and have worked out we would be asking for around 76% LTV.
    I know that using a mortgage to clear debt is a no no, but i am just worried about mortgage rates going sky high and still having a massive debt hanging over us...at least in one place it looks/feels better. We think we can afford to lower our term as well if we did.

To give you a better idea, our house is now worth around £280000, (zoopla estimate) and we would need £215000 to consolidate mortgage and debt) the current mortgages deals say monthly payment is around £1000 and our current outgoings for mortgage and debt are around £1200 pm so we could clear debt, reduce term and save £200 per month if we did.

At least that is what I can figure.

I appreciate that our position is better than most but I am getting worried about the future.

Hope someone can offer advice...even if I don't like it.
    Many thanks
    Steve
    • PETRA798
    • By PETRA798 24th Apr 18, 3:34 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    PETRA798
    Hi all
    Stepchange have been in touch to say that my TPP is coming to an end (nearly a year old), and that I need to contact them as I told them I hoped our circumstances would have changed by now (they haven't), and they need to look at other debt solutions. I assume this means going onto a DMP, but tbh we don't have any spare income, and are still struggling. Any ideas what the minimum payment Stepchange will accept into a DMP is? I don't feel confident going it alone at the moment as I feel Stepchange have a bit of clout with the lenders and DCAs. Most of the debt have now defaulted and gone to DCAs, just 2 x Barclaycards and another credit card hanging on.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thank you
    • NeverendingDMP
    • By NeverendingDMP 25th Apr 18, 12:39 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    NeverendingDMP
    Hi all. I was just wondering if there is a formula for how stepchange work out who gets what % of a DMP payment. I'm considering self managing but wouldn't know how to divide the money up if my income changed or one of the debts was paid off. Thanks all
    35,213 in Jan 2018, 31990 remaining.
    Mortgage 77230 in Jan 2018
    75612 remaining.
    • James1981t
    • By James1981t 25th Apr 18, 1:36 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    James1981t
    Hi there im new on here not sure if Iím writing in the right place. Iím 80k in debt and I own my house but has no equity in it. I live in it with my partner and 2 year old daughter. Iíve been out of work for last two months but have used my savings up to pay the debts each month. Iím behind on a few now but starting work in two weeks time. Iíll be bringing home 4000 a month if I enter an IVA how much would I be expecting to pay a month all my out goings add up to around 3500. But wat can I include on my break down of outgoings my partner does not work as she looks after our daughter and I give her money. Please help Iím all over the place
  • StepChange_Linsi
    Hi Steve

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum.

Youíve donít the right thing to plan ahead before any of these payments become unaffordable.

Iím recommend speaking to our Financial Solutions team to see what options are available to refinance your debts/mortgage.

You can find their contact details here on our website.

All the best,

Linsi

Hello, hoping someone can offer some advice.
    We (wife and I) are around £26,000 in debt with a mortgage on top of that.
    We both have 2 young children who are now at school and in 2013 & 2014 (wife then me) went part time from our full time jobs, only down to 4 days instead of 5, each.
    This, we did not budget or plan for (I know wrong thing to do) but it was the best thing we could do at the time for our children to help with childcare costs and actually spend time with them.

Anyway long story short we wracked up debt.

All of the £26000 is currently on 5 credit cards all on 0% which we move around when the deal ends. So far this has worked as the debt was higher.

Our current mortgage fixed rate (2.84%) does not end until May 2020 and if we get out of the deal now we will have to pay £5000 for the privilege

I think we are doing the right/best thing we can at the moment by shifting the debt around the 0% deals but my main worry is that come 2020 and we are in the actual middle/start of the Brexit fiasco the good Mortgage deals will be gone.

We are now both back to almost full time salaries now which are ok and so hopefully we can start clearing the debt...I hope.

My real question is....is it worth pursuing a good mortgage deal now, paying the £5000 get out fee and consolidating our debt into the new mortgage? We have equity and have worked out we would be asking for around 76% LTV.
    I know that using a mortgage to clear debt is a no no, but i am just worried about mortgage rates going sky high and still having a massive debt hanging over us...at least in one place it looks/feels better. We think we can afford to lower our term as well if we did.

To give you a better idea, our house is now worth around £280000, (zoopla estimate) and we would need £215000 to consolidate mortgage and debt) the current mortgages deals say monthly payment is around £1000 and our current outgoings for mortgage and debt are around £1200 pm so we could clear debt, reduce term and save £200 per month if we did.

At least that is what I can figure.

I appreciate that our position is better than most but I am getting worried about the future.

Hope someone can offer advice...even if I don't like it.
    Many thanks
    Steve
    Originally posted by Draggon

• StepChange_Linsi
    Hello

Thanks for your post.

Iím sorry to hear your circumstances havenít changed, but donít worry weíll still be able to help and we wouldnít expect you to pay more than you can realistically afford.

When you call weíll have a quick review of your budget and explain what options are available. Weíll talk you through the next steps and provide all the tools youíll need to confidently manage your debts. Even if our advice is to make payments directly to the creditors, the template letters we provide will show them youíre still working with and getting support from us.

You do need to meet certain criteria to be eligible for some solutions so if a solution you were expecting isnít offered such as a DMP the advisor you speak to will be able to explain why. The minimum amount we pay to a creditor through a DMP is £5.

I hope this helps and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Linsi

Hi all
    Stepchange have been in touch to say that my TPP is coming to an end (nearly a year old), and that I need to contact them as I told them I hoped our circumstances would have changed by now (they haven't), and they need to look at other debt solutions. I assume this means going onto a DMP, but tbh we don't have any spare income, and are still struggling. Any ideas what the minimum payment Stepchange will accept into a DMP is? I don't feel confident going it alone at the moment as I feel Stepchange have a bit of clout with the lenders and DCAs. Most of the debt have now defaulted and gone to DCAs, just 2 x Barclaycards and another credit card hanging on.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thank you
    Originally posted by PETRA798

• StepChange_Linsi
    Hi

Thanks for your post.

This is the formula weíd recommend you use if you decided to deal with the creditors directly:

individual debt x surplus ų total debt owed = individual offer

Just to clarify the surplus is money you have left over after paying essential bills and living costs.

So if you owed £16000 in total and had £200 a month free to pay towards your debts, a debt with a balance of £2500 would get £31.

If youíd like any more advice about your DMP or going self-managed before making a decision donít hesitate to call us. Here are our contact details. You can also find more information about DMP payments on our website.

I hope this helps.

Linsi

Hi all. I was just wondering if there is a formula for how stepchange work out who gets what % of a DMP payment. I'm considering self managing but wouldn't know how to divide the money up if my income changed or one of the debts was paid off. Thanks all
    Originally posted by NeverendingDMP

• StepChange_Linsi
    Hi James

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your post.

Youíve come to the right place, so try not to worry Iím sure weíll be able to help. There isnít a minimum or maximum amount you need to pay to get help from ourselves, the most important thing is that the payments are affordable.

The best thing to do is create a budget. Youíll be able to list your income, household bills and essential living costs for you and your family. Weíll then be able to see what money you have left over to pay towards your debts and recommend a suitable debt solution based on this.

We can give advice and set up IVAs but I canít say this will be our recommendation at the moment. We will however, explain all the options available to you, so you can make an informed decision.

As a charity our advice is free and impartial. If youíd like further advice you can use our anonymous Debt Remedy tool to create a budget online and see which debt solutions are available to help you become debt free.

In the meantime there's general information about the types of solutions we recommend on our website.

I hope this helps,

Linsi

Hi there im new on here not sure if Iím writing in the right place. Iím 80k in debt and I own my house but has no equity in it. I live in it with my partner and 2 year old daughter. Iíve been out of work for last two months but have used my savings up to pay the debts each month. Iím behind on a few now but starting work in two weeks time. Iíll be bringing home 4000 a month if I enter an IVA how much would I be expecting to pay a month all my out goings add up to around 3500. But wat can I include on my break down of outgoings my partner does not work as she looks after our daughter and I give her money. Please help Iím all over the place
    Originally posted by James1981t

• NowInspired
    • By NowInspired 28th Apr 18, 9:01 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    NowInspired
    Hi
    If wages vary from one month to another, because sometimes overtime is available and sometimes not, what figure would you want to be put on your initial income and expenditure form and if it is worked on an average, is it based on the last few months?

Thanks
  • StepChange_Linsi
    Hi

Thanks for your post.

I'd recommend listing an average income based over the last 3 to 6 months.

If you're using our Debt Remedy tool to create a budget I'd recommend you call or start a live chat rather than using this forum if you have any other questions. This way we'll be able to see the information you've provided, which helps us give better advice.

The chat option and our telephone number can be found by clicking the 'need help' button at the bottom of each page in Debt Remedy.

I hope this helps.

Linsi

Hi
    If wages vary from one month to another, because sometimes overtime is available and sometimes not, what figure would you want to be put on your initial income and expenditure form and if it is worked on an average, is it based on the last few months?

Thanks
    Originally posted by NowInspired

• GhostRiderTim
    • By GhostRiderTim 28th Apr 18, 1:21 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GhostRiderTim
    Attachments to earnings worries..
    Hi, I have a major concern about some attachment to earnings I have.
    Over the past 4 months most of my wages have been taken by 4 attachment to earnings, now i know and understand these need to be paid asap but the rate they are taking it back at is crippling my family. I work full time, my partner stays at home to look after our youngest of 4 children. I have been questioning my payroll department for the past 2 months about what the attachments are for and finally they email'd me with the details. To my horror from earning a gross total of £2352.78 for April I have been left with £463.79. £499.88 was for an advance due to a mistake they made on my last months wages, £272.80 Tax, £198 NI, £44 Pension and a whooping £869.83 for Attachment to Earnings!!.
    As you can imagine this has really messed us up for the coming month, our rent is £450 (council) council tax is £135, electric and gas approx £150 and thats all before transport, food and other payments for telephone, tv licence, internet etc:
    Is there a maximum that can be taken per month from your wages as this is leaving my family well below the level where we can live.
    I feel that trying to provide for my family is impossible by working and would be better off following the herd on benefits!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

149Posts Today

1,090Users online

Martin's Twitter