Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    SpeedbirdOne
    BA Amex Cards: Get 7,000/13,000 BA Miles Bonus! (Refer-a-friend)
    • 12th Jan 08, 4:08 PM
    BA Amex Cards: Get 7,000/13,000 BA Miles Bonus! (Refer-a-friend) 12th Jan 08 at 4:08 PM
    Hello All!

This is my first post to the MSE Forums, I'm a long time lurker, quite shy, haven't posted until now as I haven't had much to share, however that's just changed and thought I would share this with you all in the hope that others will benefit from this offer.

American Express have a new "Member Get Member" refer-a-friend campaign running. For the British Airways Amex Cards it works like this:

The person who is applying for the card gets:
    7,000 BA Miles if they're referred & accepted for the Premium Plus card. (Possibly 13,000; see below)
    2,000 BA Miles if they're referred & accepted for for the standard BA card. (Possibly 3,000; see below)

The person doing the referring gets (for a successful referral):
    2,000 BA Miles if they hold an Amex British Airways card.
    4,000 BA Miles if they hold an Amex British Airways Premium Plus card.

This compares to the standard 1,000/6,000 'first card use' miles advertised on Amex's site.

HOWEVER, when my father in law applied for the BA card - he received his 2,000 referral bonus instantly - AND, when he spent on the card for the first time, the 1,000 standard/advertised bonus was also awarded! He is now showing 3,030 miles (the bonus points plus his £30 spend points.) Therefore, although I'm not promising, you could receive upto 13,000 BA Miles for the Premium Plus if referred by a friend! (7,000 refer-a-friend bonus + standard 6,000 first use bonus.).

Another good reason to get the cards now is, once you have the card, you're more than welcome to refer your parents, inlaws, brothers, sisters, relatives, friends to get their own cards to boost your own BA Miles balance! Think of the possibilities! ;-)

I'm of course more than happy to be a friend to anyone here and refer you for a BA or BAPP credit card so you can get the bonus miles. Please PM your name and e-mail address and I'll fire you off an email.

I will be happy to make a donation to charity for each referral, as recommended by this site's rules. I'm thinking £5-10 per referral. This is much higher than the 10% recommended.

Here is the link for existing cardholders (to refer a friend with):
    http://www.americanexpress.com/uk/mgm/default.cgi

All the best,
    Speedy

P.S. it also appears that if you place a Quidco cookie on the Amex site thru following the Quidco link, and THEN use the email link from your friend to signup, you'll be awarded both the bonus miles and the £25 Quidco cashback on top! 13,000 BA Miles is worth £91 based on MSE's loyalty points checker - twice that if you are redeeming a 2-4-1 voucher.
    Last edited by SpeedbirdOne; 12-01-2008 at 5:50 PM.
Page 16
    • River500
    • By River500 22nd Dec 18, 1:40 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    River500
    AMERICAN Express 35000 membership rewards sign up offer
    I've been using American Express Platinum for over a year. Although, there is a £450 membership fee, if you use all the perks that come with the card then they more than cover the fee including:-

* complimentary airport lounge access

* travel insurance

* hotel status with a number of international hotel chains

* together with many more perdk

In addition there are monthly discounts and cash back offers with retailers, hotels, etc. If theses are used together with the perks associated with the card then you'll certainly cover the membership fee.

If you use my referral link you'll earn 35,000 membership rewards which can either be used to trade in directly with American Express for various items, or converted into hotel points, or air miles with most hotel companies/airlines.

Amex.co.uk/refer/simonmoeew

Note by using this link I'll also get 18000 membership rewards too
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 22nd Dec 18, 6:22 PM
    • 4,625 Posts
    • 6,780 Thanks
    Nick_C
    If you use my referral link you'll earn 35,000 membership rewards...
    Originally posted by River500
    Only if you spend £2000 in the first three months of your card membership.
    • espy81
    • By espy81 22nd Dec 18, 9:39 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    espy81
    Gold card referral code for 22,000 points
    Hi all

I used someone’s referral code on here to get an extra 2,000 Amex points when applying for an Amex gold card and am now hoping someone will use my referral code. Pretty please!

Use the code below when applying to get a total of 22,000 points for the Amex gold card.

Benpb5ra

Thanks all!!!!!
    • michaels
    • By michaels 22nd Dec 18, 11:08 PM
    • 21,888 Posts
    • 101,652 Thanks
    michaels
    Does anyone have a referral for amex nectar?
    Cool heads and compromise
    • luke2010
    • By luke2010 22nd Dec 18, 11:23 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 3,372 Thanks
    luke2010
    I have PM'D
    • eduardillo1
    • By eduardillo1 28th Dec 18, 9:54 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    eduardillo1
    Amazing way to top up your points
    Hi,

To all the Amex lovers out there - prospective or otherwise - you’ll soon be able to get even more points out of Amex. Curve is reintroducing integration with Amex from 2019 so you’ll be able to spend on a proxy MasterCard and use it to get Amex rewards. This will also mean 0 charges on foreign spend at the most competitive FX rate. I highly recommend Curve as a method of slimming down your wallet and making your banking experience more of a 21st century one. Grab yourself a free fiver for checking it out by downloading the iPhone/Android app and entering the code NVAVN. With the Amex points you’ll be able to accrue, Curve will be a useful friend to have.

And if you’re interested in getting a new AMEX, I have plenty of AMEX referrals left. Message me if you’re interested and we can work out an arrangement (most likely a paypal transfer / charitable donation of your choosing).

Thanks
    • obstinatrix
    • By obstinatrix 29th Dec 18, 5:49 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    obstinatrix
    Hi all,

I used someone's code from here to get a 2,000 bonus on top of the 20,000 points you get for hitting the minimum £2000 spend within the first three months of having Amex Gold. If anyone would like to get 2,000 extra points as well, I'd be grateful if you could use my link -- I'll get 9,000 more points if you do. And then we can all pay it forward. There's no fee in the first year and I fully intend to cancel mine once/if I manage to hit the trigger.

http://amex.co.uk/refer/emmagtzs2?xl=emam?CPID=100320133
    • studentsaver_88
    • By studentsaver_88 2nd Jan 19, 12:52 AM
    • 79 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    studentsaver_88
    http://amex.co.uk/refer/rickyczsxp?CPID=100200082

You can sign up for any American express card from this link we with benefit from this if you use my link please let me know.
    • crazy_guy
    • By crazy_guy 2nd Jan 19, 9:33 PM
    • 809 Posts
    • 624 Thanks
    crazy_guy
    http://amex.co.uk/refer/andreraf2l?XLINK=MYCP

This link will provide additional points when signing up for any Amex card. I personally have the SPG Amex Card which provide points which can be used at 1000's of Marriott hotels. I'm currently saving points for a trip to London

However, you can choose any Amex card and receive additional points on the above link.
    • mew
    • By mew 7th Jan 19, 4:02 PM
    • 1,002 Posts
    • 1,224 Thanks
    mew
    This is my referral link for a BA (no fee) Amex Avios card, you would get upto 7000 Avios points for spending just £1,000 in three months! (5,000 intro points + 1000 bonus points + 1000 for spending £1000), I would get bonus points too. Other cards are available in the link with bonus Avios.

(8,000 Avios + £35 = 1 return flight inc baggge, to select destinations inc Paris & Amsterdam)

http://amex.co.uk/refer/roberpK1Xb?CPID=100331153
    • 0s0
    • By 0s0 7th Jan 19, 9:00 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    0s0
    Get bonus points/cashback when applying for any American Express using this link

amex.co.uk/refer/sarahnkkhx?XLINK=MYCP

To apply for a card other than the default one click continue then click view our other cards and you can choose which one suits your needs and it will tell you what extra bonus you could get with each card.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 10th Jan 19, 7:11 PM
    • 34,361 Posts
    • 40,441 Thanks
    Browntoa
    Referral splitting or cash bonuses are no longer allowed in the thread.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • bashi
    • By bashi 10th Jan 19, 7:22 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    bashi
    Hi, I was offering a cash bonus, but not allowed to advertise amounts etc, anymore in the thread. If you'd like something, PM me directly.

Amex Gold Credit card - Membership Rewards, 22,000pts

Amex Platinum card - Membership Rewards ,35,000pts

You also have a a choice of the British AirwaysAmerican Express® Premium Plus Card 26000 Avios or the free version 6000 Avios

Also other cards available via the referral link:

The Nectar Amex Credit Card, The Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card ,Platinum Cashback Everyday Credit Card, Platinum Cashback Credit Card .

PM me, and I will send you the refferal link. I can give money to a charity of choice, if you wish, optional (this isnt cash bonus or referral splitting as I understand it) or if you'd like something else, PM me directly.

All the best
    Last edited by bashi; 14-01-2019 at 2:37 PM. Reason: Typo and edit
    • Oli.R
    • By Oli.R 11th Jan 19, 11:27 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Oli.R
    35,000 Amex points and more
    If you are thinking of signing up to a new American Express card, I'd be grateful if you considered using one of my referral links below. By doing this you will also be gaining additional bonus points/cashback compared to going directly without being referred. Referrals are available for the full range Amex brands currently on market.

Additional referral cash rewards were offered previously but have taken off forum as paid referrals and splitting are no longer allowed on this thread. Please write to me directly if interested.

Platinum Charge Card:
    35,000 Membership Rewards points if you spend £2,000 in your first three months of Cardmembership
    amex.co.uk/refer/oliurroUds?XLINK=MYCP

Gold Rewards Credit Card:
    22,000 Membership Rewards points if you spend £2,000 in your first three months of Cardmembership
    (scroll to bottom of page and select Gold Card)

American Express Card (Green):
    2,000 Membership Rewards points if you spend £1,000 in your first three months of Cardmembership

(scroll to bottom of page and select the green American Express Card)

Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) Credit Card:
    33,000 Marriott Rewards/New SPG points if you spend £1,000 in your first three months of Cardmembership
    (scroll to bottom of page and click Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) Credit Card)

British Airways Premier Plus Credit Card:
    26,000 Avios if you spend £3,000 in your first three months of Cardmembership
    (scroll to bottom of page and click British Airways Premier Plus Card)

British Airways Credit Card:
    6,000 Avios if you spend £1,000 in your first three months of Cardmembership

(scroll to bottom of page and click British Airways Credit Card)

Platinum Cashback Everyday:
    £10 bonus cashback when you spend your first £1.
    (scroll to bottom of page and click Platinum Cashback Everyday Credit Card)

Platinum Cashback Credit Card
    £25 bonus when you spend your first £1.
    (scroll to bottom of page and click Platinum Cashback Credit Card)

Nectar Credit Card:
    21,000 bonus Nectar points if you spend £2,000 in your first three months of Cardmembership
    (scroll to bottom of page and select Nectar Card)

Gold Business Charge Card
    22,000 Membership Rewards points if you spend £3,000 in your first three months of Cardmembership
    amex.co.uk/refer/oliurrqjoB?XLINK=MYCP

Platinum Business Charge Card
    45,000 Membership Rewards points if you spend £6,000 in your first three months of Cardmembership
    amex.co.uk/refer/oliurrqjoB?XLINK=MYCP
    (scroll to bottom of page and click Platinum Business Charge Card)
    Last edited by Oli.R; 13-01-2019 at 9:06 PM.
    • SGE1
    • By SGE1 12th Jan 19, 6:39 PM
    • 735 Posts
    • 757 Thanks
    SGE1
    6,000 Avios up for grabs
    Hi all

I have a BA Amex and anyone using my referral link HERE will receive an extra 6,000 Avios if they spend £1,000 in their first three months of Cardmembership.

I get 4,000 avios - a very helpful boost towards saving up for my next trip abroad, hopefully this summer
    • jamichi1
    • By jamichi1 12th Jan 19, 9:33 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    jamichi1
    Hello.

I also have a BA Amex - If you would consider using my referral link, I would really appreciate it.

If you join using my link you will receive 6,000 Avios, provided that you spend £1,000 in your first three months of Cardmembership.

There is obviously something for myself as well:
    I will receive 4,000 Avios.

http://amex.co.uk/refer/markokQTOe?XLINK=MYCP

Thank you!
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 12th Jan 19, 10:59 PM
    • 4,625 Posts
    • 6,780 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) Credit Card:
    33,000 Marriott Rewards/New SPG points if you spend £2,000 in your first three months of Cardmembership
    Originally posted by Oli.R
    Wrong! To earn the sign up bonus, you only need to spend £1000 in three months, not £2000.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 12th Jan 19, 11:36 PM
    • 4,625 Posts
    • 6,780 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Warning to anyone applying for an Amex card!
    To quote from Martin's "sticky" on the referrals board:-

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=103393

Anyone taking up a referral on this board is doing so at their own risk.

People have started to use these boards to get referrals. I have no problem with that, providing these are the best deals as it saves people money.

If another way is cheaper try and let us know. If it is cheaper for someone to sign up without the referral please note this so people have the choice. If you don't note it - other Money Savers will certainly and rightly post it - so play fair to begin with.
    Bear in mind that people posting their referral links are acting for themselves. They are earning up to 18000 Amex Membership Rewards, worth a minimum of £81.00 but realistically more like £180, if you use their links.

If you follow these links, you will get a slightly higher reward from Amex for achieving a sign up bonus. This is at most an extra 5000 points on the (£450 fee) Platinum Card or 2000 extra points on the (free in the first year) Gold Card.

However, you may get a better deal going through Top Cashback or Quidco. You can get cashback as well as the normal sign up bonus.

For example,

(i) on the Platinum Charge Card, you could get £35 cash back and a 30,000 point sign up bonus. Which would you rather have, £35 or 5000 Amex reward points? (The answer to this will depend on how much value you personally will get from an Amex reward point).

(ii) on the Nectar Credit Card, using a referral link from this board will get you an extra 1000 Nectar points, worth £5 (or occasionally £10 when Sainsbury's run a "double up" promotion). But if you use Top Cashback you can get £30 cash back.

And of course the cash back does not require you to hit a spending bonus.

Also, be aware that people posting referral links on a first posting may well be using alter egos.
    • Oli.R
    • By Oli.R 13th Jan 19, 9:06 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Oli.R
    Thanks Nick, have this corrected now
    • Oli.R
    • By Oli.R 13th Jan 19, 9:59 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Oli.R
    To quote from Martin's "sticky" on the referrals board:-

Bear in mind that people posting their referral links are acting for themselves. They are earning up to 18000 Amex Membership Rewards, worth a minimum of £81.00 but realistically more like £180, if you use their links.

If you follow these links, you will get a slightly higher reward from Amex for achieving a sign up bonus. This is at most an extra 5000 points on the (£450 fee) Platinum Card or 2000 extra points on the (free in the first year) Gold Card.

However, you may get a better deal going through Top Cashback or Quidco. You can get cashback as well as the normal sign up bonus.

For example,

(i) on the Platinum Charge Card, you could get £35 cash back and a 30,000 point sign up bonus. Which would you rather have, £35 or 5000 Amex reward points? (The answer to this will depend on how much value you personally will get from an Amex reward point).

(ii) on the Nectar Credit Card, using a referral link from this board will get you an extra 1000 Nectar points, worth £5 (or occasionally £10 when Sainsbury's run a "double up" promotion). But if you use Top Cashback you can get £30 cash back.

And of course the cash back does not require you to hit a spending bonus.

Also, be aware that people posting referral links on a first posting may well be using alter egos.
    Originally posted by Nick_C

I agree with your valuation Nick of 1p per Reward point, so on a Platinum referral, I would value an extra 5,000 Amex Membership Reward points at £50, in fact if you were looking to buy those points from Amex, it would cost 1.5p per Reward point so the value moves to £75, either way this is better value than going through one of the cashback sites, at time of writing both Quidco and Topcashback are offering £35 - lots of people on this forum were offering around this much as a cash/gift voucher incentive when it was allowed on this thread, so a win-win of extra referral points and the cashback on top.

For the Gold card which is free for the first year, I would value the extra 2,000 points at £20, or £30 if you were to buy the points from Amex. In comparison, both cashback sites are offering £10. As you say this depends on whether the aim is to use the points for a high value redemption, say for upgrading to a premium cabin like business or first class or low value redemptions like using points on Amazon.

I wanted to add to the detail you have provided to offer what I hope is a more complete picture to those who are deciding between which card to choose:

The benefit of having a Platinum Card ranges from travel insurance for you and your family, instant gold statuses at a range of hotel brands including Hilton and Marriott (providing access to free breakfasts, early check ins, late check outs), airport lounge passes for 12 months for you and a guest (add a free supplimentary card holder and get another pass to cover a family of 4), access to regular offers like £200 off £600 spent at flights/hotels. Whether or not the £450/year fee represents value for money long-term depends on how many of the card benefits you will use, although you can cancel for a pro-rata fee refund at any point.

The alternative is to get the free for first year Gold Reward card which offers 20,000 points and £10 if you go through a cashback site or 22,000 points if you get a referral. Whilst you get two free vists to airport lounges in a year (note two visits as opposed to two passes for the year offered by the platinum) I recommend this card for anyone entering the hobby of collecting points to maximise your travel, but if you are an avid traveller the platinum card is definately worth a look.

Finally the mutual benefits of using referrals should never be underestimated, if you take up a Platinum card, you yourself can get 18,000 pts for referring a partner, family member or friend (to any card, they dont have to take up the Platinum card themselves, they can choose a free card). If you have a Gold card you would get 9,000 pts per referral. The best strategy that falls between the Platinum and Gold is to start with a Platinum, make 5 referrals, and then close the Platinum card and move over to the free Gold card, that way you only pay a fraction of the £450 fee, get twice the amount of bonus points per referral, you keep all hotel statuses for 12 months even after cancelling your Platinum card and you continue to keep your points account live. Happy to provide more info or advice on strategy around collecting points, and best use of Amex points via PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

635Posts Today

6,198Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: Should motorists be taxed more or less? It has been reported 10 councils are considering work? https://t.co/anFmUlSTYz

• Yes MONSOON IS WRONG. Even with sales items you've 14 days to notify of returns & 14 days after that to return 'em? https://t.co/ZCBrcy3pe7

• RT @paullewismoney: People who were students 1990-97 are being offered the chance to pay off half their unpaid student loan and the other h?

• Follow Martin