Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 15th Nov 16, 1:14 PM
    • 280Posts
    • 600Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Aim to get mortgage down before increasing again
    • 15th Nov 16, 1:14 PM
    Aim to get mortgage down before increasing again 15th Nov 16 at 1:14 PM
    Hiya I had joined years back but in the last year been reading most of the diaries re trying to get your mortgage. I have been overpaying the mortgage for the last ten years and managed to overpay over 20k. I want to note my progress as trying to get mortgage down as much as possible before borrowing more money for a 2 Storey extension.

We moved into our 3 bed detached 6years ago and had a mortgage of roughly 110 but to date I have managed to get this down to 60450 approx. I am overpaying 200 per month as this is ok does not affect family life otherwise husband would say something but he is happy that I am doing this. Trying to continue to put more money into our savings so that we have some money to contribute to the extension cost as well as trying to get the mortgage down to 58k or lower.

I'm 42 with Hubble 39 and 2 kids 9 and nearly 5. We are awaiting to hear if we have planning for the rear extension and then will have to see if passed by building control afterwards and then approach our mortgage lender to see if they will allow us extra borrowing of roughly 60k. This will take up up to a higher figure than I would like but I will plod along and see how it goes,

We are on a 5yr fixed which we took out last June at a rate of 2.34%.

Been doing Tilly tally every Sunday and it all adds up and will transfer the extra money to the mortgage and see what else I can do to bring it down before we have to increase.

Will try to keep you posted.
Page 9
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 1st Apr 18, 8:47 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    We finished up school me and the kids on Thursday. Friday we went to shops for daughter to spend some of her birthday money and get pokemon swim shorts for son swim lessons which he starts on Tuesday. Went swimming - only paid for daughter as son got junior membership due to swim lessons and I'm still. Member at the moment but this stops on begin of may. With sons membership we get a family swim free which will be great and used. We went to neighbour's house for takeaway night as we are friends and kids play well together.

Today we are heading to a park for picnic Nd to roll our decorated hard eggs as it's Easter. Not sure what plans are for Monday as it looks like we are going to get snow in Scotland.

Hubbie got paid so trying to sort out finances but credit card which we pay off every month is high over 1k but I think I have managed to pay this. Will need to rein this in next month as we can't continue with this.

Hope to make a small overpaymemt for this month as we are away for a weekend to Aberdeen and need to get spend money for our (me and hubbie) long weekend in Portugal begin of may.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 3rd Apr 18, 11:24 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Well no snow lay so that was good. Easter Monday we went to indoor adventure golf which was good and then visited Nana and Papa so the kids could get their Easter eggs. They have 8 each at the moment and I know there is 2 more still to be given.

Hubbie wanted to go to a Volkswagen garage to see car prices. Anyway there is a car that he likes due into the garage this week but I do not think we have enough money for this until may when he gets his work bonus but will see what happens. He is due to go for a test drive in a seat car on Wednesday after work which he could buy the now but I think he would prefer the Volkswagen. So need to see what happens over the next few weeks.

Two more days until my wage goes into the bank and we have money again since all hubbie wages is allocated. Started putting some of the clothes we want to take for the weekend into the spare room and it will be easier to pack Inthe next few days.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 10th Apr 18, 8:38 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Just back from our weekend away to Aberdeen - kids loved it being in a hotel with its own pool - we usually do caravans or holiday houses so this was a bit different for them.

On Saturday we spent the whole day with my brother who lives there - going to a museum, had lunch at his flat and then went to a paek. My brother and I had a drink back at the hotel whilst hubbie and kids went to the pool again before we went to harvester for dinner and then to the amusements for a bit.

On Sunday we went to the park, science centre, another swim in the hotel pool before heading to friends who stay instpnehaben for dinner at their house. We met this couple about 8yrs ago on a caravan holiday and have kept in touch do this is the 2nd time we have met up since first meeting.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 10th Apr 18, 8:43 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Before we went away I managed to put a little money into the savings as well as do an overpayment to theortgage of 80. It's not much but it's all I can do at the moment.

Hubbie really wants the Volkswagen car but it's still not in the garage and tried to get him to transfer money from his ISA but he has to go to the bsto get the money and put into the bank. He did not do this. I did transfer some of my money from ISA to bank so should have enough in bank and 0% credit card but not telling him this.

When he hears from the garage he will need to go to transfer his part of money and I can square money up at the end of the month when his work bonus comes in.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 14th Apr 18, 8:27 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Hubbie phoned the garage mid week and car still not in but we put down a deposit on this as it's the only car style coming into Glasgow branch so it's reserved for us.

Yesterday hubbie got word car was now in garage so he went to transfer money from ISA to current account to pay part of it and then use the 0% credit card for balance. He also got a letter to say what he is getting for his work bonus so just need to see what Mount of tax and no is taken off.

Thinking of using most of it to pay down the cc balance and put a bit away in an account for our family holiday next year as we have said we will go abroad with them next year so this gives us a start.

Kids going to Nana and papas today at lunchtime as they wanted them early as they are staying over tonight since we are off out with friends for dinner. Anyway we are heading to the garage for hubbie to see the car and test drive and I think he will buy it as it's the new style of the cat he is currently driving. Just need to see what trade in price we get for his car.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 14th Apr 18, 8:36 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    This week the kids and I went to see Peter rabbit which was good. We also met up with my friend and her daughter to go to a trampoline place e and kids enjoyed it even though I thought it was hard for the youngest but he says he liked it. We just stayed in yesterday since it was a miserable day.

So sleep over tonight and then back to normal on Monday to school which will be hard for us all.

Son is liking his swimming lessons - only been twice.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 15th Apr 18, 6:08 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Went to see the car on Saturday and Hubbie had a test drive and liked it. So it's being processed for collection on Wednesday after work.

Well that will be our savings drastically down as well as about 5k on the cc but it's 0% until Dec 2019 to pay it off which will be done. Will pay off a chunk of this when hubbie bonus comes through as there is balance on the cc at the moment. He got a really reasonable trade in price for his ciar even though it's done over 126000 miles.

He is a bit more excited now - hurrah when we were out with friends for dinner on Saturday night. Not really done much today but feeling tired due too a late night on Saturday.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 21st Apr 18, 8:19 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Hubbie collected his new car and seems happy about it. There was a bit of friction as I couldn't find the not certificate for the old car but found eventually.

Well that the savings down considerably so need to work on increasing this over the next so many months as well as paying off the credit card.

Ordered new blinds for our new kitchen and our bedroom fromt cousins company so got a bit of a family discount.

As dry weather today we are going to a theme park this afternoon after daughter gymnastics as we have a voucher for this. I'm off out to a work colleague 30th party but taking the car so spends should be low. Only got 140 to last until the end of the month so it's a week on Monday. See whether this lasts.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 21st Apr 18, 8:25 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    I had setyself the 2018 wife challenge of paying 2500 go the mortgage but do not think I can do this but will keep on ploughing away at it so it all helps.

Ordered euros for our Portugal holiday in 2 weeks time which I'm going to collect today. We have 450 euro for about 4 days and we are half board and there will be no trips only relaxing so I think it's ok but hubbie thinks it should be more but don't have any extra money unless I dip into the isa money. I will about it when hubbie gets paid and do money. I think the cc is creeping up and it doesn't help that hubbie does not put on his expenses to be paid. The joys of juggling money and hubbie does not realise what I do go keep the account balanced do it annoys me sometimes.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 21st Apr 18, 8:29 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Oh forgot to say on Tuesday hubbie took my house key out of the front door and locked me and the kids in the house. So when I realise and spoke to him he was adamant that he didn't so I looked again. He then phoned to say he was coming home as he had my key. We were able to get out and get to school in time.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 27th Apr 18, 6:25 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Not much to report but spending money even although over budget and hubbie gets paid on Monday. Will need to do a lot of juggling about and pay off the high credit card. It needs to start to reduce majorly or we cannot survive paying it off every month.

We have friends over for Indian takeaway on Saturday - the money is there for this and need to do hopefully a small food shop since we go away Friday and there are several stuff in freezer for dinners. On Sunday we have other friends over for afternoon tea and chat catch up - not seen them since before Xmas.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 1st May 18, 2:56 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Made an overpayment today of 90 for may as well as put money into savings. Managed to get the rest of the bits and pieces needed for our hols - we fly out Friday morning and kids going to grandparents Thursday night.

I got all my stuff out to rearrange in the case and will need to look out kids stuff for staying at grans until tuesday. - do this tonight after son swim lesson. Out at show at theatre tomorrow night with friend to see car friends so can't do it then so last minute stuff will need to be done Thursday night and early to bed as up early and to be at airport parking for 4.30am. looking forward to hopefully sum and relax.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 9th May 18, 6:46 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Went our wee holiday to Portugal and it was great. Great hotel and really good weather. It was lovely just the two of us but bought several presents back for the kids. Went with Jet2 who were good so thinking of booking the first family beach holiday abroad for 2019.

Back to school and work for us all. Got 2 cheques in from hubbie very small ppi of 5.83 and reimbursed car tax from the old car of 27.50 so this will be put into the holiday fund for next year.

Took enough money with us and brought 80euros back so will keep for our holiday next as not sure if worth changing this back.

Just paid our main credit card so hoping this will be under the 1k next month or things will need to change.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 18th May 18, 7:58 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    We have sold a few things on gumtree lately so part of money going into sons saving account as it was his first proper bike we sold and 10 to the holiday fund for next year.

The other night we booked our 2019 to a hotel in Costa brave for half board so aim is to save the remaining balance for April when due. It will be the kids first proper beach package holiday abroad so time will tell if they enjoy or prefer the UK. We are not planning to fly them until Xmas since we are going in July 2019.

I'm still paying towards the mortgage small amounts since we are saving for this holiday S well as got 5k to pay off the credit card by Dec 2019 so no interest is added.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 18th May 18, 8:01 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Have a problem with the bathroom floor tiles so tiles came out to have a look and will Revit but I need to go back to shop to get 2 tiles and then contact him.

Builder due to phone next week as he has still to replace broken patio slabs and level them off.

As it due to be a great day tomorrow wejabe asked friends over for a BBQ
    On Sunday daughter and I are heading to a car boot sale to sell and see what we can make from old toys etc
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 21st May 18, 1:02 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    BBQ was good. Got to see a bit of the royal wedding which I had recorded on the box. her dress was lovely.

On Sunday daughter and I headed to car boot sale. On route there it was raining a bit so considered turning back but we went there and the rain stopped. Made 77.52 after taking out my float money so 80 is going to the holiday fund.

Finance this month seems fairly good so may be able to make a another wee payment to the mortgage if it goes ok over the next week or so.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 21st May 18, 1:05 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Just bought a metal shelving unit which hubbie will hopefully build tonight to go in one of the upstairs cupbards and then maybe later in the year we will get a joiner in to build actual shelves in the other cupboard as builder was due to do this, but not going to bug him about this. Builder due to call this week about when outside slabs are being done.

Also picked up some more tiles for our bathroom as there is a problem so waiting for tiler to advise me when he can relay the new tiles.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 28th May 18, 8:43 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Well can't wait until Thursday as it's payday for me and hubbie. Spent a bit of money on Friday as me and kids went to Glasgow on the train to get a new Disney bowl for daughter as dad broke hers (used a gift voucher I had for Disney store so got a bowl and cup as well it was 20% off) and we had lunch out and then back on train and went to a park to play in. On Sunday we went to a new park o found out about and the kids enjoyed it.
    Today heading out to a park with our picnic so hopefully no money to be spent but will take a bit and meeting up with sons friend and mum at the park.

Not much money savy lately but continue to do Tilly tally. Next month we have a few nights out as well as 3 father's Day presents to buy and grans birthday. We are going to a 50th party next Saturday but already got the present in from may money. Will keep on plodding along as we can but life gets in the way sometimes. At least the main cc is reduced greatly even though we have next year's holiday deposit on it - hope it stays at this amount over the next few months.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 4th Jun 18, 1:48 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Well payday has been for both me and Hubble so did the finances the other night. Today I went to make an overpayment to our mortgage of 154.also put some money into the savings accounts.

Making an extra line of money going towards next year holiday fund so only got 750 to find to pay off the holiday in April 2019 and then continue to put by for spending money but think we may have to dip into the isa money, but time will tell.

Cc was a much better amount this year even though we paid the holiday deposit on it so this is able to just come from bank account and no need to transfer money about.

This month got 3 fathers days presents to buy as well as a 90th birthday present which we have an idea for for great Gran. No plans for this weekend which is good - staying in and no spending money apart from food stuff. Need to try to be good food wise as weight creeped up when in Portugal and some of my clothes do not fit so will need to watch what I eat and start going swimming tomorrow as well as still go to Zumba.
    • MichaelDH
    • By MichaelDH 5th Jun 18, 1:48 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    MichaelDH
    Just caught up with your diary. Glad to hear that your building project is completed. Sounds like it was a bit stressful getting started but progressed well and you are happy with the result
    Starting Balance August 2016: 170,199.00 | Current Balance (4th October 2017): 164,720.53
    OP's to date (starting August 2017): 906.58

Target: Balance below 160,000.00 by June 2017
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,124Posts Today

8,726Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin