Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 15th Nov 16, 1:14 PM
    • 240Posts
    • 540Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Aim to get mortgage down before increasing again
    • 15th Nov 16, 1:14 PM
    Aim to get mortgage down before increasing again 15th Nov 16 at 1:14 PM
    Hiya I had joined years back but in the last year been reading most of the diaries re trying to get your mortgage. I have been overpaying the mortgage for the last ten years and managed to overpay over £20k. I want to note my progress as trying to get mortgage down as much as possible before borrowing more money for a 2 Storey extension.

We moved into our 3 bed detached 6years ago and had a mortgage of roughly £110 but to date I have managed to get this down to £60450 approx. I am overpaying £200 per month as this is ok does not affect family life otherwise husband would say something but he is happy that I am doing this. Trying to continue to put more money into our savings so that we have some money to contribute to the extension cost as well as trying to get the mortgage down to £58k or lower.

I'm 42 with Hubble 39 and 2 kids 9 and nearly 5. We are awaiting to hear if we have planning for the rear extension and then will have to see if passed by building control afterwards and then approach our mortgage lender to see if they will allow us extra borrowing of roughly £60k. This will take up up to a higher figure than I would like but I will plod along and see how it goes,

We are on a 5yr fixed which we took out last June at a rate of 2.34%.

Been doing Tilly tally every Sunday and it all adds up and will transfer the extra money to the mortgage and see what else I can do to bring it down before we have to increase.

Will try to keep you posted.
Page 8
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 18th Jan 18, 6:43 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Yes I agree Cathy and will continue with overpayments but not jerodise family life.

I have managed to change the theatre night with friend to the Wednesday night in May before we go away - really glad as I really wanted to see this.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 21st Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    On Friday it was manic at school due to lots of phone calls about kids not coming in due to the snow and then the council decided to close school early. Dealing with this was very busy and then trying to get after school to see if they would collect my kids from school - they decided to close also. Hubbie managed to get a close friend to collect the kids at lunchtime and give son lunch as he was going a school dinner.

I managed to get home about 1.50pm as it usually takes me 30mins to get home and went to get the kids from friends house. We were back in the house before the heavy snow started. hubbie left work early also and arrived back about 4pm. Stayed in as BB and scouts were cancelled. Hurrah.

On Saturday the main roads were ok do football and gymnastics were on and then I went food shopping. Went to dinner last night to use a voucher hubbie had got for his birthday - it was good.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 26th Jan 18, 8:20 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Glad it's Friday as work was busy and not back until next Wednesday.

Hubbie got paid early in January so will need to sort out what gets paid and what goes to the savings as well as sorting out the credit card-carrying spent a lot on it due to new bedroom furniture and several holiday deposits but it will be paid off in full when I do the money shuffle.

Hubbie has booked his car driving experience he got for his birthday for august so another thing to look forward to.

My mum had been ill since Christmas and back and forth to the doctor's to take blood. They are still not happy and doing more test and more antibiotics but she is still poorly. I'm really sorry and hope they get to the bottom.of it.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 5th Feb 18, 7:55 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Had building control guy out and we have 4 items to be done before he will release the paperwork, which is extractor fan in ensuite is not working properly - had noticed this and spoke to the builder, heat detector should be in new kitchen area as well as smoke detectors in upstairs hall as well as no external vent from cooker hood. Electrician came on Saturday and put up the detectors and replaced the extractor fan. Awaiting the builder to come to do cooker vent today as well plumber due to resell the ensuite shower as Hubble thought it was leaking so only using the main bathroom shower.

Need to also speak to builder about a few extra things to be done. Been thinking about how we re organise the living room. Spare room is slowly getting emptied with boxed up stuff. We got our new bedroom furniture last week so need to transfer over my top drawer which has jewellery and all sorts in it - keeping our old stuff for my brother who hopes to buy a flat this year so he will have drawers and bedside cabinets to start off with.

Today I need to go and buy chocolate and popcorn and wee packet of haribos to make up treat boxes for the school movie night which is next week (roughly about 70). Done my homework and know where the best deal is.

Daughter school bag broke last week so had to find a new one but most of the shops I use squally go to did not have any as it not summer. Anyway went to sports direct and got a pink adidas backpack but she has been warned that this should last until the summer if it breaks then she is buying the next one herself out of her bank.

This Thursday I'm going to dentist clinic to get the half extraction which my dentist was not able to do fully in October. Not looking forward to this at all - got the day of work so do it think I will be worth a button when it happens.

Mum is on the road to recovery and bloods look a bit better but still going back to the doctor this week to check again.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 6th Feb 18, 4:20 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Well builder did not come yesterday as he was ill but I have had a phone call from him to say that the joiner can come tomorrow when I'm at work to do most of the jobs so that he can finished off this job.

Been emptying drawers and sorting through old clothes to go to charity shop which is done and also some for cash for clothes - it's better than nothing for some clothes which are past their best.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 6th Feb 18, 4:24 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Made another payment today of £200 as well as something towards the savings - trying to build this back up again so we can use some of it towards a new car for hubbie later in the year.

Made payment of one cc today of £3010 so only balance of £3 which I have until Dec 2019 to pay off as it's 0%. Happy it's down to a manageable level.

Other cc is really high due to bedroom furniture, and holiday deposits etc so had a rejig the money a bit to pay this off.

Had alarm guy out so had to get an extra sensor fitted in the big kitchen so that was money paid out. I think we only really need to buy new blinds for new windows and replace the other one we have as they are wrecked and over 8yrs old.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 8th Feb 18, 10:50 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Joiner came on Wednesday to do snagging and we have emailed building control guy with photos of the 4 items which have been done. Time will tell if we get the paperwork ok now. Builder was due to put shelves in 2 new cupboards but will see if this gets done shortly otherwise its finished and we will need to get another joiner to do the work.

Today was off work as had to go to a clinic for dental surgery so asked for the day off. It was ok but glad had day off - took painkillers and had a wee nap in afternoon on my return back. Tooth had to come out and here was an abscess on the root of it. Back to work tomorrow and try to drink salted water to prevent infection.

Sons tooth fell out so tooth fairy has come to leave a coin for him.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 11th Feb 18, 5:24 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Recently got statement from nationwide for our outstanding amount as at 31st December. Today I looked online today to see the current balance is £115,566.56.

I have no aims to get to a certain amount but to keep on making small overpayments when i can most months so that we can later on we can bring down the term of our mortgage. In sept we extended this back up to 13years as we took on more borrowing for our extension.

Builder due round tomorrow with a potential client and he is talking about returning to do the last 3 items in the house.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 17th Feb 18, 8:18 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Been advised by email that we have the completion certificate and it's being processed - this is good.

On Thursday there kids went to school movie night and enjoyed it whilst me and hubbie went to the local tapas restaurant for dinner to use up vouchers we had for my birthday dinner.

Nothing really organised for this weekend. Very quiet.

Came home yesterday to find a note through our door from virgin media to say there is a problem and they need access into the house so they are coming on Tuesday. At the moment we have no internet so sure what has happened as it was ok the night before - kids not happy as they cannot watch Netflix.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 23rd Feb 18, 6:10 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Internet was fixed on Tuesday so kids happy they can now Netflix. Got paid on Thursday my wee wage which has to see us through to hubbie pay next week. Lots of payments cropping up on the credit card in the next day or so car insurance for both cars - so hubbie has to compare other prices as well as our adult holiday in may they are taking the remaining balance and then my car needs a not and getting a service on 6th march. Will need to play about with figures so it all paid off

Kids had their parents evening last night and both got good reports so I got a book for them from Sainsbury's rather than the book club which is at the school.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 28th Feb 18, 7:54 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Well woke up to snow on the roads etc and message on twitter that schools are shut today and now shut tomorrow. Kids loved it out in the snow with dad and their friends and they did a BBQ n the snow. I was at home doing ironing and then walked the 10 houses down the street to friends house for drinks and chat. Came up the road about 7pm to get something to eat. Another snow day off tomorrow.
    Last edited by Schoolworker; 02-03-2018 at 8:58 AM.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 28th Feb 18, 7:58 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Car insurance was due up and quotation came in at £660 for multi car deal. Anyway hubbie did a comparisons and was going to go with DL at £600but phoned our original insurance company Aviva to say he was leaving but they have done a deal so we are staying and got this for £553. Great saving. At the end march is the home insurance to do - let hope we can get another good deal.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 2nd Mar 18, 8:57 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Well another day off school for me and the kids. Hubble has went into work and got their ok. Hopefully we are meeting up with friends along the street so kids are happy. Just going to do a bit of reading and some school work as youngest needs to do this on a regular basis and happy to it.

We have plans for the weekend of friends coming over to see the extension but not sure if this will happen as I think they will all cancel but we will see what happens. Just hope the local Scotmid gets deliveries so I can go to get some shopping on Saturday or Sunday. B.B. and scouts cancelled today but will need to see if football (itís inside) and gymnastics are on on Saturday morning for the kids. At least we are warm and safe at home during the last few days.

Just updating the monthly interest applied to 2 bank accounts and notice one has dropped a bit but not sure if itís because February is a short month and did a small tilly tally. Had to readjust amount going into savings due to a few extras to be paid this month but hope I can sort this out if any money left at 5he end of the month. Also need to find spend money for may holiday - ok for spend money for family weekend in April to Aberdeen.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 5th Mar 18, 8:10 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Well kids going back to school today most of the snow is disappearing and then we will head to my mum after school.

My son fell off his sledge o. Friday and got a few scratches but nothing serious. Yesterday he told us that his big front tooth was wobbly and he thought this was fine as tooth fairy would come. Anyway today when he woke up the tooth came out so need to phone dentist when it opens and see what they say. I'm really worried and have had a wee cry. Don't know what the outcome will be.

Our friends on Saturday night cancelled but other friends still came on Sunday. Could not believe that some local shops shelves are still half empty on Saturday but managed to get most of the stuff we needed apart from meat for the freezer but we have enough for this week.

Need to go to buy mum's day present today as no car tomorrow as it's going for not and service in the morning after school run.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 5th Mar 18, 1:09 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Dentist had a look at sons tooth and we were told it was his baby tooth. I was convinced it was a big tooth. She thinks it came out a bit early due to his fall of his sledge as it still red but tooth fairy will need to visit tonight. Glad about it and was very emotional this morning.

Bought the kids Easter eggs as they reasonable price in supermarket so they are in as well as t-shirt for son so only need to find t-shirt for daughter now.

Bought perfume for both mum's and will get a wee bunch of flowers as well to go with it. Sorted now.

Later on the month I need to buy 1 present for nephew and also present for daughter but she knows what she wants.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 13th Mar 18, 5:48 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    2 mum's liked their perfume and got wee bottle of wine and chocolate. I got chocolates, Avon perfume, candle, fudge, lipstick and purse. The kids spend money at a stall in school of things which have been handed in for the mother's Day sale.

Daughter was ill on Sunday night so off school on Monday so had to stay in the house. Back to school today so was able to do stuff.

Made an overpayment of £202 to mortgage today as well as putting money away in savings. Got daughter's birthday present so it all sorted wants a new leotard who have she chose on Saturday, a hairdryer set and we are going to theatre with friends to see fame in august. She wants a party so booked this at trampoline park so need to try to get cheap stuff to make up party bags as party is not cheap. She has been told no party next year.

Got nephew birthday this week and we are meeting up with them for bowling on Saturday afternoon and then kids are going to grans for sleep over as we are out with friends.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 16th Mar 18, 8:17 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Yesterday I had a day off work and went to an event at my kids school.in the morning and then shopping to spend some gift vouchers I have - still got some to spend and get real summer clothes for my abroad holiday in may.

Managed to get some sweets and bubblegum shower gel tubes to go in party bags for 10and 11yr old. Only 2 more shower gels to track down as they are being discontinued.

Last night son was sick so he was suppose to go to grand while I go to work. Anyway I have woken up with the sickness bug so me and son are lying on the sofa feeling sorry for ourselves. Hopefully we will be ok for tomorrow as got nephews bowling get together and going out for dinner with friends. Got friends due tonight but this all be cancelled.

Found out the other day that my building society you can't put cash into someone else account.lu July I had cheques to pay information me and hubbie isa. This is ok or a transfer but no cash. Was advised that most of the other banks are doing this.
    • Darpett
    • By Darpett 16th Mar 18, 11:39 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    Darpett
    There seems to be a lot of really fierce bugs around this winter. Hope you get better soon.

Eeeeekk to the teeth related issues!

Well done on being so organised for pressies.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 25th Mar 18, 9:52 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Well we managed to go out last Saturday night but gran came to the house to babysit as son was still unwell - he had a bad cold with some cough but was back to school Monday but had Calpol in morning and night. I managed to find all 8 body washes from different branches of savers for the party bags.

Today is the day of daughter's party at airspace and party bags made up and cake bought. I hope they like the party bags with the body wash and sweets.

Yesterday had day to ourselves mostly as daughter on trip with scouts all day and son went to friends house for all the afternoon and then we had friends over for takeaway and drinks.

Daughter's birthday is tomorrow so both set of grandparents over that night. One set for dinner - maybe pizza and the other set us over after dinner for cake.

Just worked out we spent £285 on food for the month so it's reasonable. Thought I had lost track of this and it would be higher.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 26th Mar 18, 1:48 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Just checked and our mortgage balance for 26th march is £112808.69. it's certainly heading in the right direction but will be a lot happier when it's under £100k whenever this happens. Will keep on plodding away with my small overpaymemt over the rest of the year.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

95Posts Today

1,491Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: Third time lucky? After being delayed twice, tomorrow MPs are due to debate our #RecoverySpace proposals in parliament. @helen_u?

• Just a quick note. I've been overwhelmed by the strength of support by my campaign to stop facebook fake ads today? https://t.co/KexhjVVznY

• RT @mmhpi: On the eve of tomorrow's #RecoverySpace debate in parliament, we just delivered our 10,000 letters to the Chancellor. People in?

• Follow Martin