Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 15th Nov 16, 1:14 PM
    • 257Posts
    • 563Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Aim to get mortgage down before increasing again
    • 15th Nov 16, 1:14 PM
    Aim to get mortgage down before increasing again 15th Nov 16 at 1:14 PM
    Hiya I had joined years back but in the last year been reading most of the diaries re trying to get your mortgage. I have been overpaying the mortgage for the last ten years and managed to overpay over £20k. I want to note my progress as trying to get mortgage down as much as possible before borrowing more money for a 2 Storey extension.

We moved into our 3 bed detached 6years ago and had a mortgage of roughly £110 but to date I have managed to get this down to £60450 approx. I am overpaying £200 per month as this is ok does not affect family life otherwise husband would say something but he is happy that I am doing this. Trying to continue to put more money into our savings so that we have some money to contribute to the extension cost as well as trying to get the mortgage down to £58k or lower.

I'm 42 with Hubble 39 and 2 kids 9 and nearly 5. We are awaiting to hear if we have planning for the rear extension and then will have to see if passed by building control afterwards and then approach our mortgage lender to see if they will allow us extra borrowing of roughly £60k. This will take up up to a higher figure than I would like but I will plod along and see how it goes,

We are on a 5yr fixed which we took out last June at a rate of 2.34%.

Been doing Tilly tally every Sunday and it all adds up and will transfer the extra money to the mortgage and see what else I can do to bring it down before we have to increase.

Will try to keep you posted.
Page 7
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 2nd Dec 17, 7:45 AM
    • 257 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Well back garden was finished yesterday so they could use the digger elsewhere. Only a few things to be done on outside and a few inside. Spoke to the builder and he is aware of these and will get them done he says.

Painter due to start on Monday for 2 weeks to do nearly the whole house so house will have paint fumes. Ok for first week but the following week will need to try to empty our bedroom which has lots of furniture in it from kids rooms etc since we started on the journey.

Got a day off work on Wednesday and want to get most of the Xmas present bought and then I can maybe think if hubbie gets anything this year.

Need to take son to football and then daughter to gymnastics and try to get son birthday cake for dinner out on Sunday. Need to try to tidy up a few areas in the house so clear for painter as well as ironing- the joys.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 6th Dec 17, 6:40 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    The groundworkers is delaying the slabs at the back to the same level at the weekend.

Lots of the snagging was finished up today so hopefully the builder will send in the completion paperwork to the council so he gets the last of his money Nd only a few jobs left if comes back after painting work done.

Painting coming on nicely and getting there. Kitchen is due mostly so this weekend we are putting up the smaller tree Inthe kitchen which will be the kids tree and keep the main tree in the living room but it will only be up for 2 weeks or so as it will need to go up after carpet is laid on 18th Dec.
    Tried to get the rest of my Xmas shopping done today whilst off work - still got to get part of a present for my mum and dad to get but happy with what I purchased today. Back to work tomorrow. Well it's only 8 more days of work for me until Xmas.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 10th Dec 17, 8:59 AM
    • 257 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Kids stayed at man's and papas last night so we went out for a pre theatre lunch in a nice Italian restaurant then back to the house to wrap up presents. all done and put away for big man in red suit to deliver. Got a TV for DD and an aerial but it does not work so need to take back and may have to get the fire stick so DD can use her TV in her new room next year.

Going to put up the smaller tree today as well as some Christmas stickers on the windows for now until some decorations can go up.

Slabs did not get done yesterday as the temperature was too low so they are frozen down. Hopes to get this done if temperature rises slightly. Painter due back tomorrow so we have get living room ready is put all furniture in he middle so he can do walls etc. All stuff back in the cupboards etc and new tumble dryer in place as well as wee chest freezer in kitchen cupboard - it will be great not having to go out to the hut for extra food as this was where the old freezer was.

Coming together - need to when find out when DS furniture will be ready for collection as we want to put it together next weekend after carpet down and try to get him in his new room before Xmas. It will be a job moving all stuff including all the toys there.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 15th Dec 17, 6:18 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    2 bedroom carpets being fitted at the moment as well as the stair. All painting done and most of the new curtain are up. Hope son bed can go into his new room once carpet fitter do e once we come back from scouts family badge night.

Hubbie got an electrician to hang the kitchen light up. Living room carpet to get done on Monday so no TV in the lounge as all furniture needs to be out of the room. Hope we can do some of the move around this week.

Need to post my Xmas cards before time's runs out and buy my last present as well as get the Xmas dinner food in the freezer. Getting there but not sure when all done as we have to choose drawers and beside cabinets for our new room - built in wardrobes being done on 9th January.

Going to see Santa tomorrow afternoon after kids activities.
    • CathT
    • By CathT 17th Dec 17, 5:31 PM
    • 5,586 Posts
    • 38,884 Thanks
    CathT
    Your extension time frame is impressive. Having decorating done and new carpets is so disruptive as you have to move everything. When we had our extension done, the decorating was definitely the most disruptive part as the lounge had to house everything!

Hope the children enjoyed Santa, we saw him at our local NT property when we had snow recently so was really good. Have you finished work for Christmas?
    June 2018 -
    part 1 - £77,571
    part 2 - £45,272
    Total - £122,843
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 18th Dec 17, 5:45 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Thanks Cathy for your response and glad someone is reading my blabble. We love seeing Santa and it was a package where you went on a wee train, saw a wee show see santa, on the carousel ride and then we went ice skating.

Lounge carpet was fitted this morning so we had help to get all furniture back into the lounge but lots of arguments about where things are going as hubbie wants to change things majorly. Anyway we managed to swap some of the furniture and beds into the new rooms but the wee boxroom has lots of stuff in it to put away properly but think I will leave most of this to be done after Xmas.

Kids like their new rooms and have to go to get new duvets covers for us and daughter but will see what I see over the next few weeks.

All very stressful as hubbie wants to do everything straight away rather than going through things so many arguments but hopefully it will be back to normal by Xmas and still on speaking terms.

I'm still working this week we'd to Friday as our schools finishes on Friday but off until 10th January so can get all homely things up on walls and put things away etc.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 18th Dec 17, 5:48 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Tonight when I drop off hi bid and kids to the house as we are out at my mum's I will continue on to a big supermarket to get most of the Xmas day food stuff as not got this.

Got part of hubbie Xmas present to get as well as buy for my dad - not sure when this will be done as I think hubbie is going his Xmas shopping tomorrow night, wed night we are out for my brother big 30th birthday dinner and then see what happens for the rest of the week.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 19th Dec 17, 12:02 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Well got the turkey and a few other things for Xmas at least. Only got a few items to finish off hubbie present.

Made last overpayment for 2017 today of £40 before it gets spent on other stuff.

Managed to get a white stool for daughter's new big desk in her room as well as new duvet covers - will see if she likes these or are they going back to the shop.

Some Christmas decorations are out now that all the painting done and carpets are down . Box room is a dumping ground so will need to try to tidy up a bit before Christmas if possible.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 24th Dec 17, 9:43 AM
    • 257 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Finished work.on Friday until 20th January - hurrah. I think I'm all set for Xmas and if not bought then too bad.

I thought I had lost the santa key so had to visit several shops to get this. Anyway told daughter we have a new key - the old key is under the smaller Xmas tree on the table - we have 2 now.

Yesterday took back a duvet set DD did not like and ended up leaving my bank card in the machine. We were out buying a new lamp for our living room in the afternoon when I noticed this so phoned the shop and went to get it. Thank goodness I got this before Xmas shutdown.

New curtains are up in the living room and looking good. Need to decide on the furniture layout after Christmas decorations are down in the new year.

Heading to soft play shortly for Xmas Eve play and lunch with the kids and then may try to sort out sons toys as just dumped in his new room but need new storage for these etc. Lots of stuff to sort out after Christmas and this is before we have new toys from.santa and everyone else.

After dinner we are heading to church for family service and then back to the house for the kids to get their Xmas Eve parcel from us which has new pyjamas.

Turkey is out defrosting and need to make the trifle base for tomorrow.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 26th Dec 17, 9:29 AM
    • 257 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Well we had a nice Christmas and kids say that santa was good to them so that's great. I got quite a few new perfumes which I needed so great

Christmas dinner was good with all hubbies family including his sister who only recently started talking to their parents earlier this year after a big fall out. Played some games after dinner which was great fun in our new big kitchen.

Relaxing this morning whilst trying to get washing done and try to put away some of the Christmas presents away before heading to my parents this afternoon for dinner.

Kids were excited to see a small covering of snow outside this morning.

Need to look at finances before end of year as we have ordered our bedroom furniture and need to get a few more stuff for daughter's room. We pay off my credit card every month but got another interest free credit credit which has a big balance on this - used for the extension over £10k. I thiink we will need to pay off a big part of this - use the money in the build account and see what the balance is.

Hubbie needs a new car in early 2018 fue to not going to pass next mot so will need to see how much we can put down for deposit from savings and see if we can take out more finance I'm very worried about this as still got 1 year left on my car finance as well as increase mortgage. Will need to try to work on all this in 2018.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 31st Dec 17, 9:30 AM
    • 257 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Just had a look at mortgage balance which currently stands at £115304.02 today since we took extra borrowing this year for an extension.

I have put my name forward for 2018 challenge to pay of £2500 which we nearly made this year. This means that we have to pay £208 every month to meet this budget - not allocated this amount but will try to achieve this.

I have decided to empty the build account which still has money in it to pay off a chunk of the 0% credit card which has the carpets and kitchen on it. Hope to bring down from £10k to £2k then continue to pay off small amounts during the rest of the year.

Hubbie needs a new car and will see about this in April after the new cars out - also he may get a good bonus so this as well as some savings could go towards the new car so only taking out a small amount in finance.

Looking at a wee abroad holiday for me and hubbie only as he celebrated his 40th end of October - had a meal out and a private reg plate but I owe him a wee break away since I had this for my big birthday. Hope to book a bit of sun soon for the two of us if my parents will take the kids for 3 or 4 days. Also hope to go a caravan holiday in July as well as maybe visiting my brother for 3 days in Aberdeen during Easter holidays.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 31st Dec 17, 9:37 AM
    • 257 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Well today hope to clear out 1 set of drawers and get rid of them to the dump if the rain stops. Got a bundle of ironing also to do before our visitors arrive at 4 for dinner and stay until after the bells.

Hubbie making dinner of lasanga and g bread and salad and some pudding after. Later on in the night we have nibbles and crisps while the kids all play upstairs. Got my brother and patents over for dinner on new year's Day - most of stuff in. Then on 2nd Jan going to hubbie parents for dinner. Back to normal on 3rd Jan

Dreading empty out the wee single Room as lots of stuff dumped there. Once our built in wardrobes are built we can move all our clothes and stuff through and then find the correct home for lots of other stuff. Hope it will all be done by end January but time will tell.

Happy new year to to you all and hope you have a nice night and day tomorrow.
    • Jessy103
    • By Jessy103 1st Jan 18, 1:52 PM
    • 525 Posts
    • 2,237 Thanks
    Jessy103
    Happy New Year! Good luck with the 2018 challenge!
    Original Mortgage Amount 2007 - £87,310.50
    Mortgage Amount Jan 2018 - £58,500.00
    Overpayment Target for 2018 - £5,000 /£663.78
    Jan - £369.23 Feb - £294.55
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 3rd Jan 18, 7:26 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Well it's the new year and made an overpayment of £50 to the mortgage today. Also made a big payment to the 0% credit card so balance Willbe down to £6k which I'm happier about.

Most of the Xmas decorations are away but some to come down tomorrow. Daughter got some friends over to see her new room. Need to decide if living room furniture stays put or do we change it about.

Carpet people out tomorrow sometime as they did not have the door bars in stock when originally fitting the carpets so this is them coming back to do this.

Got a few things that the builders have to come back to sort hopefully over the next few weeks.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 7th Jan 18, 3:50 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Been out to get a few things for sons bedroom - got a laundry bag to put most of the cuddly toys which will not fit on his bed now to go in as he still wants them all as well as a new spotlight lamp for by his bed. Got a new picture to put on the wall as well as his lion pride stickers which are really effective on the wall. Only need to get a bean bag for his new room and it's sorted and looks good.

It's coming together. On Tuesday our wardrobes being fitted so can start to move clothes in correct room for us and daughter later in the week and try to find homes for stuff.

Had a letter from gas and electric supplier to say we owe them £28.50 but they want to increase our usage up by £17 a month. I have spoke to them and only increased this by £8 as I believe we used more electric than usual due builder using it constantly when I was at work etc so hope my increased amount will be ok.

Back to school for kids tomorrow - shock to the system as we have been sleeping in a bit and I'm back to work on Wednesday.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 13th Jan 18, 8:04 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Well kids have been back at school all week and I returned back to work on Wednesday - so getting back to normal now. Very tiring when used to the holiday.

Our wardrobes were fitted on Tuesday and I have moved all the clothes to the correct rooms and started to empty the other stuff off the shelves so this will be done over the next several days and then start to put away daughter's stuff which is in the spare room so it will be empty.

Well we have just booked our summer holiday through the sun breaks today - going to Whitley bay in July for 4 days. Also we had previously booked 3 nights stay in a hotel with a pool in Aberdeen in April so a few things to look forward to.

I have had a day holiday signed off in may so hubbie and I can book us going away abroad without the kids - this is for hubbie 40th trip and gran is looking after the kids. Hope to do this in the next few days. Lastly we will have our usual holiday weekend away in September to largs.

Spoke to builder the other day to explain a few things still outstanding but would like the 2 urgent items done before Tuesday - he is due back to do the window on Monday and hope the other job will be done then also. Got meeting with building control on Tuesday afternoon so builder is coming to the meeting and hopefully everything will be ok for the completion paperwork to be done.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 13th Jan 18, 8:10 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    On Thursday son came home from after school with no winter jacket as it was not there. Anyway got this on Friday as another child's dad had picked up the jacket thinking it was his sons but we have this back now.

Need to start taking note of food spends for the month as I slipped majorly when building work were getting done and then it was Christmas.

Went food shopping to aldi today as aware that we only have so much money left for the rest of the month and I have several birthday presents to buy for.

Kids are going on a trip tomorrow to a trampoline park with Sunday school in the afternoon - they will have ball.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 15th Jan 18, 2:09 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Sons window fixed and downpipe is also fixed. Got building control due tomorrow afternoon.

Made an overpayment of £45 today which was from Tilly tally's and a small scratch card win. no more will be paid this month but it's something.

Just booked 4 nights away in Portugal for hubbie and me on 4th may. Kids will be at grans.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 17th Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Well building control cancelled due to snow and builder could not get out his estate yesterday with the can.mdetimg rescheduled for next Tuesday morning.

Yesterday me and kids walked to and from school due to snow and not too sure about the roads. When we came back we went out sledging at the hill round the corner and built a snowman.

Was dreeding going to school today - roads mostly ok once out of the street and until you got to the street leading into the school. I left early and got there early - loads of phone. All's to deal with due to the weather. Busy day.

Just noticed that I have theatre tickets for me and a friend when we are away in may. Trying to sort out with friend if we can swap nights to the earlier part of the week as I want to go and ok to swap according to theatre place.
    • CathT
    • By CathT 17th Jan 18, 5:44 PM
    • 5,586 Posts
    • 38,884 Thanks
    CathT
    Sounds like you!!!8217;ve got lots of lovely things planned for 2018. It!!!8217;s a marathon, not a sprint and we do need to have fun along the way.
    June 2018 -
    part 1 - £77,571
    part 2 - £45,272
    Total - £122,843
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,840Posts Today

9,463Users online

Martin's Twitter