Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 15th Nov 16, 12:14 PM
    • 327Posts
    • 724Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Aim to get mortgage down before increasing again
    • 15th Nov 16, 12:14 PM
    Aim to get mortgage down before increasing again 15th Nov 16 at 12:14 PM
    Hiya I had joined years back but in the last year been reading most of the diaries re trying to get your mortgage. I have been overpaying the mortgage for the last ten years and managed to overpay over £20k. I want to note my progress as trying to get mortgage down as much as possible before borrowing more money for a 2 Storey extension.

We moved into our 3 bed detached 6years ago and had a mortgage of roughly £110 but to date I have managed to get this down to £60450 approx. I am overpaying £200 per month as this is ok does not affect family life otherwise husband would say something but he is happy that I am doing this. Trying to continue to put more money into our savings so that we have some money to contribute to the extension cost as well as trying to get the mortgage down to £58k or lower.

I'm 42 with Hubble 39 and 2 kids 9 and nearly 5. We are awaiting to hear if we have planning for the rear extension and then will have to see if passed by building control afterwards and then approach our mortgage lender to see if they will allow us extra borrowing of roughly £60k. This will take up up to a higher figure than I would like but I will plod along and see how it goes,

We are on a 5yr fixed which we took out last June at a rate of 2.34%.

Been doing Tilly tally every Sunday and it all adds up and will transfer the extra money to the mortgage and see what else I can do to bring it down before we have to increase.

Will try to keep you posted.
Page 12
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 4th Feb 19, 2:31 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Well received unexpected cheque which is in the savings for unequal payout which is nice. I was to treat myself to a nice fairly watch for nights out maybe Michael Kors but will have a look. I have got an everyday watch which bought today and will get for my birthday as current watch getting shabby.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 11th Feb 19, 8:33 AM
    • 327 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Well I ended up treating myself to a swarkeski eat h and ring for going out with part of my money. Hubbie likes and wore it on Saturday to my friend's son 18th party. It was a good night but I decided to drive so just drinking cokes all night. Last Thursday I lost 2lbs which was great so far lost 8lbs since starting back to school. Had a bit at the buffet on Saturday night as well as donuts which were on the donut wall so need to reign in my food for the rest of the week if I plan to get anything off this week.
    Kids off school until Wednesday so daughter had friend for sleep over last night and we are heading to the pics shortly. No plans for tomorrow but something free I think.
    Next Saturday we are going out for dinner all 4 of us to cooks & Indies which the kids love for my birthday as well as both set of grandparents over next Sunday for dinner at the house. It's officially my birthday on Friday. Bye for now.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 17th Feb 19, 12:31 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    For my birthday on Friday I got a sedonka watch and swarkeski Tinkerbell ornament from hubbie and the kids.

Went out for dinner last night which was good and then back to watch the greatest showman before kids went to bed. Tonight we have grandparents over for dinner so been to butcher this morning to get chicken Balmoral for us with potato and veg for main, carrot soup being made the now for starter and cheesecake or apple pie and ice cream for pudding.

A teacher made my day on Friday as she said she said I looked thinner - very happy. On Thursday stayed the same since it was pizza and quiz at school on Wednesday as inservice day so will see what happens this Thursday but am noticing a little difference in my tops. I tried to be good prior to going out yesterday and hopefully will continue to be good Mon to wed.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 4th Mar 19, 9:52 AM
    • 327 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Usual going on at work. Losing a wee bit of weight so going in the right direction.

Was out on Saturday to a lovely steak restaurant with hubbie and friends to mark my birthday and friends husband's birthday in February. This co.ing weekend nothing really planned so staying in.

Been talking to daughter and we have allowed her to have 6 or 7 friends o we for a sleepover for her birthday treat and son will hopefully go to stay with gran - fingers crossed so he does not wake them up too early since he is an early riser. Daughter wishes a new mobile so I made a list of the phones within our budget and daughter has decided which one she wants so will buy this week to have in since it's her birthday in 3 weeks.

Had a great shop last week when I got a lovely handbag which son can give her sister for £3 as well a new pair of grey jeans for hubbie for £1. Great day for bargains.

Car is in for not and service so hopefully not too expensive but will find out later today
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 9th Mar 19, 7:39 AM
    • 327 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    On Tuesday there went to put some money into the isas as well as as a overpayment of the mortgage of £80. I know itís small but Iím plugging away at paying off the credit card which is 0% and has some of the money which we paid off hubbie car last year but getting there.

When in nationwide I opened a flex account to keep £2500 in it at a decent rate - was advised by the guy who interviewed me that it should not be used as a savings account so may set up to pay daughter her pocket from it so there. Is some transactions going from it.

Going out today to a garden centre with great gran for afternoon tea - this is part of her Christmas. Staying in tonight which is a change and looking forwArd to it. Need to get 2 irthdY presents bought over the weekend for nephew Nd son going to a party. Bye for now.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 19th Mar 19, 4:09 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Made an overpayment to the mortgage today of £40 as well as some money into the savings.

I managed to get 2 mother's Day presents as well as taking them out for afternoon tea. Went out for lunch with hubbie today to use up some vouchers we got for Christmas.

Trying to get organised for daughters birthday sleepover at the end of the month so been buying some stuff dinner and breakfast.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 6th Apr 19, 9:02 AM
    • 327 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Daughter loved all her birthday surprises even though she chose her phone. We had the girls for a sleepover last Friday - it went well but not much sleep was had by them. On Saturday I and daughter went round the corner to see my zumba teacher going off to get married and daughter got half off the scramble as it was her and another boy. She got £18.60 which she shared with her brother - great scramble.

Saturday we had a wee nap before heading out for dinner to an italian restaurant with friends - it was a great night. Sunday very busy as out visiting mums - they both got a purse and a token present as we are off out tomorrow for afternoon tea - looking forward to it.
    Kids are off for spring break so not done much as weather been pretty miserable. DD out shopping with nana for her birthday so got a jacket which is lovely. Wednesday we went to the pictures to see Lego movie 2 with meercats, Thursday nothing as I ended up I'll. Yesterday out doing a bit of banking and then went to the park as lovely day in the afternoon.

Paid £55 overpayment to mortgage as well as some money into the savings. It's a tight month as I think we have a very high after school bill due to prices rising and going to away later in the month as well as hubbie car due service and big credit card bill to pay off - the joys.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 16th Apr 19, 8:34 AM
    • 327 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Second week of the Easter holidays was better weather and we got stuff done. Ds went to a football camp with a wee pal so he was happy and me and daughter went shopping for new work tops.

Kids back at school and I'm back to work tomorrow for 2 days before off for Easter - we are away and looking forward to it.

Made an overpayment of £800 towards the mortgage the other day so that's it for April. Need to see how much we spend when away.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,976Posts Today

7,092Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin