Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 15th Nov 16, 1:14 PM
    • 294Posts
    • 627Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Aim to get mortgage down before increasing again
    • 15th Nov 16, 1:14 PM
    Aim to get mortgage down before increasing again 15th Nov 16 at 1:14 PM
    Hiya I had joined years back but in the last year been reading most of the diaries re trying to get your mortgage. I have been overpaying the mortgage for the last ten years and managed to overpay over £20k. I want to note my progress as trying to get mortgage down as much as possible before borrowing more money for a 2 Storey extension.

We moved into our 3 bed detached 6years ago and had a mortgage of roughly £110 but to date I have managed to get this down to £60450 approx. I am overpaying £200 per month as this is ok does not affect family life otherwise husband would say something but he is happy that I am doing this. Trying to continue to put more money into our savings so that we have some money to contribute to the extension cost as well as trying to get the mortgage down to £58k or lower.

I'm 42 with Hubble 39 and 2 kids 9 and nearly 5. We are awaiting to hear if we have planning for the rear extension and then will have to see if passed by building control afterwards and then approach our mortgage lender to see if they will allow us extra borrowing of roughly £60k. This will take up up to a higher figure than I would like but I will plod along and see how it goes,

We are on a 5yr fixed which we took out last June at a rate of 2.34%.

Been doing Tilly tally every Sunday and it all adds up and will transfer the extra money to the mortgage and see what else I can do to bring it down before we have to increase.

Will try to keep you posted.
Page 10
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 14th Jun 18, 6:56 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    I was a parent helper at the school p1/p2 trip - which was good on Tuesday and son had a ball. Yesterday I had a day off so was out spending money buying 3 different Fatherís Day presents as well as Gran 90th birthday present. We got a lovely flower pot and will plant a wee plant in it for her and then arrange to go out for afternoon tea with our clan.

Got word that my ash isa in nationwide is reducing their rate again so I have transferred this into their loyalty isa so will get 0.9% and it will go up to 1% since we have been customers with them for a long time.

Got a bit of money recently so will put a wee bit of money into the kids isa to top this up, as well make a bigger overpayment to the mortgage and hopefully buy the last few things we want for the house as well as a new shed and maybe get the garden sorted ie old hut down and artificial grass put down so we have a grassy area. Will need to see if this is hopefully during the summer.

Daughter got a gymnastics competition on Sunday so Hubble has to visit his dad himself and I will go see my dad either in the morning or night.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 20th Jun 18, 9:14 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Daughter enjoyed her competition but did not get a place. Last night was the school disco which I helped out by buying the tuck shop and running this. It went well and all kids enjoyed.

Money getting tight even though we still have a week to go until payday and got to buy teacher present for Tuesday or Wednesday as our schools finish on Thursday lunchtime. Also made start to buy some of the school uniform Nd then I can forget about it over the summer.

Tomorrow night off out to local theatre to see a show with a work colleague - should be good and then Saturday we are out for dinner for great gran 90th birthday.

Kids have been advised of their new teachers for August. Seems ok. Daughter got a brand-new teacher and son got teacher which daughters never had.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 20th Jun 18, 9:19 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Over the years the weight has creeped on and then we went to Portugal and put on more. Not really happy about this as was creeping up to the next size so over the 3 weeks I have stopped eating Ru bish and doing my stepper every night in front of the TV. So far lost 6lbs and need to keep on going. Slowly getting there and hope I can continue when off school and on holiday.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 25th Jun 18, 10:19 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Made an overpayment today of £4000, which is some of the money which was gifted to me recently. Trying to get our back garden sorted to how we would like, so trying to get some quotes for a shed and garden works.

Tomorrow going to kids school church service and then a swimmand maybe out for lunch. Got work on Wednesday and Thursday and then off until 15th August. Daughter getting her ears pierced on Thursday night which she is happy about.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 29th Jun 18, 7:35 AM
    • 294 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Finished school yesterday and went to the pub for a bite to eat. A friend had collected the kids since after-school club now want to charge extra as the kids finish at 1pm instead of the usual 3pm but only gave us 24hr notice to get payment in cash to them.

Payday today for both me and hubbie and very glad about this as was struggling this month due to lots of presents bought as well as got some of the new school uniform.

The fun now begins trying to entertain the kids and not spend too much money over the next 7 weeks. usually they go to a badminton club one day a week to get out of each h our company but not heard anything about this so I guess I have them for the full 7 weeks.

Took daughter to get ear pierced and was I. The jewellers for 25mins as she wanted them done but was very nervous. Anyway she eventually got it done and then we headed to a ice cream shop afterwards.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 18th Jul 18, 8:43 AM
    • 294 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Made an overpayment of £1k to part 2 of our mortgage so the term has been reduced by 11mths. The previously £4k was paid off part 3 and reduced the term by 10mths. Not sure if I should continue to do small payments as I like the feeling or try to save up to over £500 as then the term is reduced. It would take much longer as only paying £70 a month.

Still putting by money for next year abroad holiday as well as the 0%cc which was the balance of the car we bought in may.

Been on holiday and had a great time at the caravan at Whitley bay. Just back and need to get back to healthy eating and my stepper to start to loose the weight again.

Kids are going to badminton club today for a few hours themselves but think will be good as it's raining here.

Tomorrow we have the ectrican coming to hopefully disconnect the pipe from the house to the old shed. New shed being erected also in new position and waiting for quote from garden guy to sort slab, put grass down and take down hut. Hopefully it may be done before the summer holidays end.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 25th Jul 18, 10:05 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    New hut was erected and looks good. Had to run out and buy a lock for it as did not come with a lock. Most stuff out of old shed and into the new shed. Only a few items which we are trying to sell on gumtree as well as out big gas bbq which will need to get a cover for this until we decide if we are getting a wee bin store which we could maybe use.

Still waiting for quote from garden guy so have phoned the guy who did our mono block and he does gardening as well so he is due to visit and see what we want done and see how quickly he gives us a quote.

Phoned a local joiner for shelves to be put in a cupboard - was suppose to be done by builder but not happening so he came to see and sent me a price so work finger crossed being done on Monday night,

Also waiting for roofer to come to see as there is a leak from the guttering. Lots happening.

Off out tomorrow in Glasgow for early dinner and then wine tasting night whilst the kids go to nana and papa tomorrow at lunchtime and staying over until Saturday - their choice. Friday Hubble is to paint the wee box room as itís the only which was not painted prior to Xmas and I hope we will got to the pics Friday night as no kids.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 27th Jul 18, 5:55 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    We went to wine tasting and it was good and able to talk to other folk. Hubble was wrecked and ended up being sick after getting off the train. I walked behind him as he was walking all over the pavement and onto the Road.. I slept in daughter's room. Hubbie got up ok to paint the room - not too sure about the colour but it will be fine for a spare room.

Just had a nice dinner and then going to the pics as no kids tonight - went to see skyscraper - it was fantastic - really enjoyed. Collecting kids tomorrow at 11am as daughter got a party to go to and of dry we will go to an open day.
    Last edited by Schoolworker; 01-08-2018 at 9:05 AM.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 27th Jul 18, 6:00 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Last Saturday we took hubbies gran who was 90 in June put for afternoon tea at a garden centre. She loved it and so did the kids that they want to do it again. It was a lovely treat.

Hubbie got a big bargain of a new fish tank and negotiated a reduction of £180 as they price matched. Tank is set up but just need to transfer the fish over. I have also ordered my new cabinet for the living room which will be delivered on Monday. Have asked if my brother wishes our wee pine cupboard as he gets the keys to his new flat next Tuesday or will take to sell it first otherwise go to a charity shop if no-one wants it. Time will tell.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 1st Aug 18, 9:03 AM
    • 294 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Daughter won a local art competition which she is pleased with - got a book and giant bottle of bubbles donated by Tesco. On Saturday whilst daughter was at her party it was raining so took son to soft play and met up with wee cousins. It!!!8217;s been a long time since been at soft play as daughter getting too old for it now.

My cabinet was delivered and In place. Need to start to move stuff into their new place so we can get rid of the old one either to brother or gumtree. Managed to sell the old fish tank and stand yesterday so another bit of money to go to the holiday fund.

Joiner came and did shelves in the new cupboard (suppose to the done by builder but not). Hubbie painted the shelves last night so can move stuff in there tomorrow once it definitely dry. Roofer was out and fixed the leak in the guttering. Still waiting for Gardner!!!8217;s to get in touch for a quote for garden work - not sure if this will happen this year but will see.

Son was away at friends most of yesterday, so daughter and I went school shoe shopping for her and me as well as a few other things like haircut etc, lunchbox and then invited her friends round in the afternoon so all happy. Daughter and I went to see mama Mia last night through meerkat movies code - it was good.
    Last edited by Schoolworker; 01-08-2018 at 9:07 AM.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 1st Aug 18, 9:10 AM
    • 294 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Done the finances as hubbie paid and his wages are increased I think this is due to wage increase. Increased the payment to the sain cc as well as holiday fund.

Cant believe that in 2 weeks I will back to school and kids start back on the Thursday. Got a few thing sorted in August. This Saturday daughter and I are going to theatre to see fame with my friend and her daughter.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 7th Aug 18, 8:00 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Fame was good but lunch before hand was ok - not worth the money.

Kids were at Badminton club today so I was able to go shopping for new work trousers for starting back next week. Made overpayment to the mortgage this month of £140.

Tomorrow we (all four of us) are going in by train to Glasgow for lunch at a different place and then to the theatre to see Madagascar. I hope it will be good.

Thursday morning need to go to get sons school shoes as well as there gym shoes. Also need to get my m7m a birthday present sometime. On Saturday hubbie is going to drive a fancy car and we are watch - been told it will be boring for us so may get the kids to take their ds and innotab. On Sunday daughter is going to the European gymnastics all day with grandpa in Glasgow - not sure what our plans are.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 9th Aug 18, 8:48 AM
    • 294 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Yesterday was a busy and great day. We headed into Glasgow by train, had lunch in a lovely Italian restaurant which was fairly reasonable, then headed to the theatre to see Madagascar which was fantastic. As it was dry we walked down to George square to the European championship celebrations there. It was good to see 5he 3vents on the big screen as well as a bit of entertainment. Then we saw all the trailaathon teams from all the countries marched passed us onto the stage - it was the opening ceremony. Headed back home about 7pm by train. Great day out. Kids got a small Bobbie 5he seal mascot bought for them.

Today going to buy school shoes for son and indoor gym shoes. Tomorrow kids are going to thei4 friends house 8n the afternoon so I can go and try to buy my mum birthday present whilst Iím child free.

Juggling money a bit this month as credit card was over £1300. I know there were a few bit items on it but will need to try to reign this in as we have bought all final big items for the house now. I want it to go back to a normal level next statement. Time will tell.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 9th Aug 18, 8:49 AM
    • 294 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Had quote back for garden works. A bit more than I expected but got the money there as it the money I got from my mum. Just waiting for the guy to confirm drainage it being put in for this set price as well as what is the start date.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 12th Aug 18, 5:59 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Been busy over this weekend. Yesterday took our picnic and drove to the place for hubbie to do his super car experience - as it was about 70mins to get their. Anyway he enjoyed it and we stood around waiting for him. It lasted 2hrs but it was mainly queuing time. Headed back home and friends over for a pizza diner.

Today I went for a food shop and then hit the shops for my mums birthday prestnt. Daughter is away with grandpa to the gymnastics at the Glasgow hydro -will see what time she gets back and Iím sure she will have enjoyed herself.

No real plans for Monday. Tuesday is my last day of holiday as back to school on Wednesday for me. Tuesday - son getting his school haircut and then going to the words lady and then after lunch at home there friends are coming over.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 19th Aug 18, 9:10 AM
    • 294 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Last Monday we visited Glasgow to go to the European championship souvenir tent for daughter to get the t-shirt she wanted with her
    own money. It was half price as they had finished and son got a cap and hubbie got a t-shirt half peice to so everyone happy.

Well my 3 days back at school just. First day of school for the kids on Thursday was maniac for me. Kids love their new teachers.

Yesterday daughter went to a roller skating party and I was helping out. I got to roller skate also brought me back to being a teenager and going round the street with my roller boots. Son also had a party went to pictures and then back to friends house for a play. Today just food shopping and new pictures being put up in the kitchen.

Can't wait until I get my wages on Thursday as i feel like I'm struggling as it's been a tight month. Im putting money away for a few different things as well as paid off the big credit card in full which was high and also aying part of the 0% credit card. Need to sort it out better next month so I don't stress as much but it looks like main cc will back to £500 again so fingers crossed it's manageable. Got September holiday still to pay at end of August.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 21st Aug 18, 9:20 AM
    • 294 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Well logged into our online to see the mortgage balance and it's £104006.71. I'm happy the balance is coming down as last August when we got the extra funds for our extension the mortgage was £118000, just need to keep plodding along and see what the balance is at xhristmas, which is fast approaching.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 31st Aug 18, 8:07 AM
    • 294 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Well last Saturday was the local flower show and the kids put entering in. Daughter put in 7 craft eateries and won the shield for her category for over 9yrs. Son put in a few eateries and got 1st and 2nd so he got a certificate for runner up in the smaller kids category. My mum won the cup for formal art And I got 1st, 2nd and 3rd for my baking. Good day all round.

It came to light that our neighbour is getting lots of garden and house work done by our builder but our boundary wall is very unstable so he gave us a quote for this - it needs done but he also said he could do our other garden works for cheaper that the other gardener guy who has not come back to give us a date yet. Anyway our builder started both our garden works and next door neighbour on Monday there so the old shed is away - one of the guys took it apart carefully as it going to his mums garden - glad itís still ok to use for someone. Also the old slabs are uplift and we have a deep hole for where the founds are going for the new part of the boundary wall.

Once boundary wall is done they are going to monoblock part of the grass and put down some artificial grass for kids to play on. Hopefully all will be done by end of next week but garden in a state. Only wish I was able to use my whirelie as it been dry but thatís life.

Got the front lawn turf on Wednesday so need to water every night. Bye for now
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 3rd Sep 18, 7:52 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    No work done on garden Thursday or Friday but they did a bit of work today in the boundary wall so hopefully things will no e along this week.

Front turf is coming on well and don't need to water today as it was raining most of the day today. Was at a spa day in a hotel in glasgow this morning and then a nice lunch with hubbie.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 3rd Sep 18, 7:56 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Done finances and only able to do a small overpayment as well as a reduced amount to savings since we have several trips to pay for for our daughter to scouts and school.

I hope I have rejuggled the figure correctly so I feel it not another tight month.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,321Posts Today

7,839Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Eh? I think you are confusing a poll with an opinion I wrote my polls in an attempt not to lead the vote, otherwis? https://t.co/2IUtL7vBOr

• Today's Twitter poll: Should fracking be allowed in the UK? A test site reopened this week to much local protest.? https://t.co/orpNJN6Bf9

• Lovely package on #newsnight just now about Brexit hitchhiking, livened up what has been not the most exciting show.

• Follow Martin