Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Nick
    • By Former MSE Nick 4th Nov 16, 5:35 PM
    • 254Posts
    • 78Thanks
    Former MSE Nick
    Cheap Pay-as-you-go Deals Article Discussion
    • 4th Nov 16, 5:35 PM
    Cheap Pay-as-you-go Deals Article Discussion 4th Nov 16 at 5:35 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Cheap Pay-as-you-go Sims guide

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply
Page 2
    • SpanishBlue
    • By SpanishBlue 30th Aug 18, 1:03 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    SpanishBlue
    How much data does your phone say you have used?
    • smipx013
    • By smipx013 30th Aug 18, 1:08 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    smipx013
    When I checked the phone it was not that granular - ie. it was less than 1Mb
    • smipx013
    • By smipx013 30th Aug 18, 1:13 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    smipx013
    Okay. Just did the test again...

Reset mobile data usage counter on phone (to 0b)
    checked balance of o2 payg sim = 5.67
    Turned data on
    Went into email client
    Sent an email to self
    turned data off
    in phone mobile data usage it shows 68.75Kb (approx. 0.07Mb)
    checked balance of o2 payg sim = 5.47

QED..
    • fonesaver
    • By fonesaver 30th Aug 18, 2:53 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    fonesaver
    I have had a similar thing with O2 PAYG. I'm on an old tariff where you get charged a max of 1 per day for data if your data allowance has run out. Sometimes my balance goes down by 1 when I know I haven't used data as I have turned data off and used Wi-Fi. Possibly the myO2 app uses data. Then when I re-boot the phone the 1 magically comes back when I check the app. Same results with *#10# This has never happened when I still have unused data that month.
    So suggest you re-boot your phone and check the balance. Only a suggestion...
    • smipx013
    • By smipx013 30th Aug 18, 3:22 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    smipx013
    Hi,

Happy to give that a go... Just did and BLOO*Y NORA you are right. I will stand at the foot of my stairs (he says spitting out bits of hat).

Fonesaver - thank you... cudos to you and "go to get some retraining" to the o2 call centre staff!!

I did the *#10# after a reboot and it went back up from 5.47 to 5.67. I need to do some more testing but that is even more curious as I did use "some" data in my test (68Kb) and it should have gone down to 5.66. I will wait until the morning and check the data charge again with the *#10# and see if the magic 1p is deducted.

I will report back tomorrow to see what the balance shows (minus any SMS and any calls I make in the meantime).

Confusing or what. You would have thought that the o2 folk would have this on their "FAQ" scripts and be able to explain that. Would have saved me hours of stress and angst :-)

Thanks
    Paul
    • smipx013
    • By smipx013 30th Aug 18, 3:33 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    smipx013
    so.... Reading a bit more on the interweb I have gleaned that o2 reserve 20p when you start using the data and then do some hokey-pokey calculation, refund you the 20p and take off teh actual amount of data you used to the nearest penny (at some point later down the line/overnight). So I'll see the balance in the morning to see if that hold true.
    • smipx013
    • By smipx013 31st Aug 18, 11:47 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    smipx013
    so.... Its the morning now and the balance is still 5.67 so I got the 68.75Kb for free it seems so its gone (in my mind) from

3.2.1 ==> 3.2.20 ==> 3.2.0 :-)

I guess that there is a minimum point at which it starts to charge (no idea what but perhaps 100Kb or someting similar).

Anyway - I'm not complaining (any more at least)...
    Cheers,
    Paul
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 31st Aug 18, 12:04 PM
    • 4,094 Posts
    • 1,114 Thanks
    Anthorn
    The article needs updating because Asda Mobile have increased the data on the 10+ bundles: For 10 the data allowance has increased and is now 3GB.
    • k984942
    • By k984942 31st Aug 18, 12:06 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    k984942
    I live in Switzerland mostly, but am back in the UK about a half-dozen times a year. Being outside the EU, my Swiss mobile contract charges crazy roaming rates, so am looking for a UK PAYG. It'll be mainly for receiving UK calls when I'm in Switzerland (so cheap/free roaming would be good), plenty of data when I'm in the UK, and no monthly charges or top-up credit that expires quickly / ever.

Any suggestions all?
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
    • johnbb99
    • By johnbb99 5th Oct 18, 2:43 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    johnbb99
    ASDA payg sim is nearly free.
    Sorry if you all know this, but I don't see asda on the mse page for payg sims.

sim is free, comes quickly [well mine did, overnight] and comes with free 10mins, 10 txts, and 10Mb. which last for 30 days.

no costs until 180 days when you must make a chargeable call or txt, so you have then to put credit on it if you haven't already, to keep the sim active.
    If you just want it for receiving calls, this seems like a pretty good deal, no?
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 13th Oct 18, 10:51 AM
    • 3,196 Posts
    • 1,660 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Start October 1, 2018 there is a new rules from ofcom to allow mobile customers to limit their bills from 1st October 2018

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/features-and-news/new-rules-to-allow-mobile-customers-to-limit-their-bills

I wonder whether this is also applied to registered PAYG accounts. Sometimes you just want to use your PAYG to receive call, message.

When you try to insert this simcard to another mobile phone and you are not carefull it will automatilly take your balance.. O2 for instance it will automatically take 1 a day for 50mb data which in some occasion you do not need this.

Is this cap also applicable to PAYG ? thanks
    Originally posted by adindas
    I'd have thought that there's a clue in the name? It's PAYG so the spending is entirely the responsibility of the user including turning off data use in a different phone.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 13th Oct 18, 12:20 PM
    • 9,567 Posts
    • 7,213 Thanks
    pmduk
    I'm sure o2 will only charge you for data a: if your phone uses it and b: if you have chosen a tariff that includes this charge.

In both cases, the solution is in your hands.
    • AshleyH
    • By AshleyH 22nd Oct 18, 10:08 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AshleyH
    Beware the SMARTY deal
    Joined SMARTY as it looked a good deal.

However the service is rubbish. If it works out of the box then well done you. If however it doesn't and you need to contact them then the nonsense starts.
    SIM arrived and was set up easily, number ported the next day.
    Restrictions were removed via their automated process.

BUT
    restrictions then activated again despite showing as deactivated. Chat was rubbish as the response time is poor and they skim the chat and give tick box answers. Once you spend your life getting past that whatever it is that you are chatting to agrees to "start a ticket" and pass it down the line. Ne expected resolution time given.

UTTELY USELESS SERVICE. I suppose being '3' it is to be expected but it isn't good.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 22nd Oct 18, 10:31 AM
    • 9,567 Posts
    • 7,213 Thanks
    pmduk
    I'm sorry you're having issues, I've had no problems or delays with their customer service in the 13-14 months I've been with them. I've always had a response within 5 minutes, they don't advertise it as instant chat, just messaging.

I've worked in that environment (not for Smarty). Sometimes it just isn't possible to give an ETA for a resolution, especially when the cause of a problem is unknown. I appreciate how frustrating it is though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,085Posts Today

7,204Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Many saying sexism or ego. My suspicion as someone who works in TV is that this is a format point. I'd think whe? https://t.co/AXfrv5YqKA

• I do always ponder when watching apprentice why Lord Sugar is "Lord Sugar" but Baroness Bradey is Karen. #bbctheapprentice

• Lord Sugar just said "she's talking like she's a 50 year old, she knows it inside out?" Genuine question if ther? https://t.co/6cZJ9d2Cni

• Follow Martin