Best Sim-only Deals guide Discussion

Comments

• Gooman
    Gooman Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Be aware - plusnet has severe coverage problems for international roaming, particularly in the Caribbean.

I can't get any service in St Lucia. Others have posted in the public plusnet forums about similar problems elsewhere in the Caribbean. Plusnet technical support are unable to help.
  • For info:

I just called Three to see if I could get moved onto the plan recommended in the Guide for heavy data users which offered 600 minutes, unlimited texts and 8GB of 4G data for £12/mth over 12 months (Three Advanced plan; available to new customers, and to existing customers who are out of contract or want a second line).

However, I was advised that that plan is not available at that price ( I did give the customer services assistant the web URL of the Three website page you land at by clicking through on the link provided in the guide but they were unable to say if it had ever been available).

Instead, there current nearest equivalents are £12 per month (on offer currently from a regular price of £20 per month) for 4GB data (with "all-you-can-eat" minutes and texts) or £15 per month (on offer currently from a regular price of £21 per month) for 8GB data (with 600 minutes and "all-you-can-eat" texts).

Obviously going to redo my sums to check if one of those is still the right deal for me before proceeding, but I think it is still competitive if you're happy with Three's network, service and coverage etc.
  • Frozen_up_north
    Frozen_up_north Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I keep an eye on Three's SIM only prices as I'm out of contract with them (12 month SIM only) and haven't been able to find the 600 min, 8 GB, £12/month deal mentioned, it's £15 on their web pages.

Three have yet to publish their changes with regard to "free" EU roaming which comes into legislation on 15th June. I've asked them twice about it and got nowhere. As to what will happen to their prices in June is anyone's guess.
  • Hi, I've just been on to iDmobile as an existing customer to benefit from the deal described in this week's newsletter, and they weren't having it. They would set up a new account, but then you can't port your number to a new plan with the same company. I've heard this before. They would of course upgrade me by adjusting my deal, but the fella I spoke to wasn't allowed to upgrade me to the more favourable terms described in the MSE post. So basically this is for new customers only!
  • vaderag
    vaderag Posts: 293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I had the same things re. ID Mobile.
    Current customer, they can't do it.

I did get told that they've raised it however and they think they should be able to in the next few days...
  • D.A.
    D.A. Posts: 1,159 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yep, looks like that 8Gig contract with Three that's mentioned in the guide doesn't exist.

Shouldn't MSE be taking it down by now?
  • I have tried every way I can think of but I cant get past the ID check for this deal or the plus net one. I have tried 2 different browsers , 2 different computers 4 different bank accounts and every possible variation of my address and I cant get through it tells me my name or address don't match by bank details (they do) or I have not been at my address long enough (12 years) or my email is already signed up. it is not. I phoned them and they said that the error message is right and I am wrong. I gave in and tried a less suitable deal with plus net and got the same thing.
    Is this there problem ? Is anyone else finding this? Is there a solution?
    I am already at the end of my tether having a freedom pop account that wont give any signal from which I cant get a pac code to transfer my number as basic contracts don't entitle you to use any form of customer service communication needed to request on.
    can any body help me please?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    posieflump wrote: »
    I have tried every way I can think of but I cant get past the ID check for this deal or the plus net one. I have tried 2 different browsers , 2 different computers 4 different bank accounts and every possible variation of my address and I cant get through it tells me my name or address don't match by bank details (they do) or I have not been at my address long enough (12 years) or my email is already signed up. it is not. I phoned them and they said that the error message is right and I am wrong. I gave in and tried a less suitable deal with plus net and got the same thing.
    Is this there problem ? Is anyone else finding this? Is there a solution?
    I am already at the end of my tether having a freedom pop account that wont give any signal from which I cant get a pac code to transfer my number as basic contracts don't entitle you to use any form of customer service communication needed to request on.
    can any body help me please?

You give 4 different error messages for just 2 different websites so which did you actually see and on which website? If you phoned them then surely they explained what the issue was? Why didn't you subscribe on the phone while talking to them?
  • posieflump
    posieflump Posts: 6 Forumite
    Thanks for replying .
    All the error messages came up at once on tpo every time.
    on plus net it just said verification failed. when I phoned TPO they said that the error messages stand and there was nothing they could do they could not sign me up over the phone. I put in a technical ticket and got
    "Hi,

Thank you for contacting us.

We at TPO do not do a credit check however we do have a 3rd party ID check if any information that you enter does not match then with the ID check it will not let you sign up.

I'm afraid we do not have any control over this.

Kind Regards,
    TPO TEAM"
    It seems that my address on whatever databases they check wont cross check.

I ma wondering if the problem is specific or general and if anything can be done.
  • mcfcchris
    mcfcchris Posts: 8 Forumite
    Hiya,
    I recently signed up for the enhanced sim only pay monthly deal with plus net.
    i have since cancelled the option, and undid the PAC request with giffgaff.
    The initial Sim was lost in transit. The second had to be registered before use.
    After a couple of attempts where i was warned that long delays lay ahead, and three attempts in which i wasted in excess of ten minutes on hold, I started to wonder what the scenario will be if I ever need to contact them for help or assistance?
    They might be the best in the world, but I didn't really want to put it to the test

Chris
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure