Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 2nd Nov 16, 4:27 PM
    • 680Posts
    • 2,459Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    Climbing the Mountain
    • 2nd Nov 16, 4:27 PM
    Climbing the Mountain 2nd Nov 16 at 4:27 PM
    Hello! I have decided to start my own diary after being a long-time lurker. The inspiration on this forum is just lovely, maybe one day I can inspire someone too!

I do not have any debt, but I have not a bean in savings, pensions, an ISA, equity in property, etc. I currently work part time and qualify for some benefits but am looking for a new or additional job that will bring in a higher wage. I am also looking for new ways to bring in money from the internet, I currently do online surveys and competitions but am not yet seeing much of a return for the amount of time I have put in, so I am not sure if I will continue. I am very good at pinching the pennys so increasing my wages is probably the best way forward.

My main goal is to buy my very own property. I have been renting for decades, and now feel ready and excited to take on the challenge of saving as much as possible for a house deposit or even to buy something with cash. I would love to move to the wilds of Wales where I could live on the top of a misty mountain, but at my age, a retirement flat in Rhyl may be more practical. I am tempted by Ilona's lovely life in North Lincolnshire, so I will keep my options open for now. As long as I have a chimney and a wood burning stove, the animals and I will be happy!

Thank you for stopping by and please say hello!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updated with 2017 list of goals so I can see them and edit as the year goes along.

1.Bring in extra 600 a month minimum, increasing income month on month
    2. Actively explore new ways to achieve above
    3. Finish the big de-clutter properly - anything sold, transfer money over to savings after bills are paid so it doesn't get spent
    4. Keep a spending diary in handbag, update after every purchase, review at end of each month
    5. Clean entire house thoroughly and set up a regular cleaning schedule, possibly join flylady
    6. Make and stick to Meal Plans / shopping lists / food budget
    7. Schedule No Spend days/weeks
    8. Transfer odd change to savings account every day
    9. Wombling
    10. Keep Debt-Free diary updated
    11. Budget !!!8211; make and stick to
    12. Eat proper breakfast/lunch mainly fruit and veg, eat smaller portions for dinner, less carbs/sugar, puddings on special occasions only
    13. Cook most/all meals from scratch
    14. Meatless meals twice a week, increasing as we find recipes we love
    15. Bake once a week
    16. Get off laptop and live in the real world, severely limit online time wasting
    17. Lose 10lbs a month until reaching ideal weight, then maintain it
    18. Take at least 3 long walks a week
    19. Find a local yoga class and give it a try
    20. Figure out how to get a good nights sleep during the change
    21. Build up immune system/personal health
    22. Think before buying, is it really wanted/needed/useful/going to ruin my diet?
    23. Read all books I already own before buying/borrowing more
    24. Ziffit all unwanted books/games/DVDs
    25. Learn a new craft/skill i.e. knitting, quilting, or needlework
    26. Be more present in life, make a point of really listening when people talk
    27. Save for a week away with the family in a secluded holiday cottage in the country
    28. Save up and keep 500 in emergency fund, replenish if spent
    29. Keep on top of filofax planner and spend 10 minutes going over my calender/goals/lists every morning or possibly even the night before.
    30. Have a weekly de-clutter day or half day
    Last edited by MistyMountainTop; 31-12-2016 at 12:46 PM.
Page 28
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 11th Jan 18, 11:54 AM
    • 6,070 Posts
    • 22,304 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    I sympathise hun, sending you lots of get well hugs xx

Feet up, rest and keep hydrated xx
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: 6350.00 Cap 1: 407.72 BC: 6224.59
    AFD xxx LTW 4/17
    POAMAYC 2018 #041 PD 5970.32/7000
    Savings for Christmas 161.42/365
    20p Savers 2018 2 Savers 2018 50p Savers 2018 SPC 11 2018 #003
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 13th Jan 18, 11:49 AM
    • 680 Posts
    • 2,459 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    Thanks PM02. I seem to have gotten even worse despite all the resting. I saw someone yesterday who said they had the lurgy well before Xmas and are just now getting over it. I'm praying it's not the same bug, I've been sitting here with my feet up making plans for the year and am itching to get on with it!
    Current Weight Loss: 2/ 96
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 13th Jan 18, 1:21 PM
    • 3,747 Posts
    • 10,709 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    The lurgy has defo been much worse this year!

Rest up and hope it passes soon.

Dxxx
    CWP start 16st2lbs, current 13st13lbs, lost 31lbs

Debt start 6,649.97, current 5,950.00, paid 696.97

17th April 2018 - I have 5 Nationwide Referrals available, PM me if you want 100 to switch accounts
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 16th Jan 18, 8:34 AM
    • 680 Posts
    • 2,459 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    Thanks Dolly! I'm feeling much better now but still have a cough. I'm well enough anyway to start getting on with things, I could rest for another day but things are piling up and I'm tired of looking at it.

Today I'm hoping to get this lot done:

Light exercise Done
    2 loads laundryDone
    Update money spreadsheet
    sort out healthy dinnerDone
    order more vitiminsDone
    change DD's sheetsDone
    read book! Done
    quick tidy outside spaceDone
    Last edited by MistyMountainTop; 16-01-2018 at 7:27 PM.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 16th Jan 18, 8:37 AM
    • 6,385 Posts
    • 13,113 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Both DH and I have had the lurgy since New Year and the cough is the worst. Resting doesn!!!8217;t seem to make it better like a normal cold strangely.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 16th Jan 18, 9:23 AM
    • 3,747 Posts
    • 10,709 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    Sounds like a very productive day MMT.

Dxxx

17th April 2018 - I have 5 Nationwide Referrals available, PM me if you want 100 to switch accounts
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 17th Jan 18, 10:43 AM
    • 8,680 Posts
    • 45,738 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    I'll second that the cough lingers - I was lurgified over Christmas and New Year and the cough is still dangling about irritating me.

Excellent list ticking off going on there Misty - well done! You're full speed ahead this year aren't you!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 1229.00/944.19 (15/05/18)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 22nd Jan 18, 12:07 PM
    • 680 Posts
    • 2,459 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    I sometimes think about the past, times when I didn't fully appreciate what I had or opportunities that I let slip away. I'm trying to figure out what I can do now to make sure that I don't look back on this time of my life and think "if only...." I have no idea where to start so if anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful!

Today I am planning on:
    Updating Money Tracker Done
    Changing sheets/laundering them
    sorting out healthy dinnerDone
    tidying up the mess in dining roomDone
    quick tidying up of outside spaceDone
    Last edited by MistyMountainTop; 22-01-2018 at 2:23 PM.
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 22nd Jan 18, 2:17 PM
    • 3,747 Posts
    • 10,709 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    I think everyone does that tbh.

Dxxx

• MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 23rd Jan 18, 10:11 AM
    • 680 Posts
    • 2,459 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    There are times though Dolly when I could have done something and didn't because it felt like it was too much hassle. Looking back, having actually done it would have made a massive difference in my life. One thing in particular makes me cringe every time I think of it - there was an old farmhouse with some land for sale for less than our house at the time was worth. It needed some work but could have easily been my dream house, and in an area I loved. The seller was willing to wait until our house sold as they were friends of the family. I had young children at home at the time and decided moving house was just too much hassle. I knew at the time it was a bad decision and made it anyway. I know it's not like life would have been perfect with no problems there but I will always regret being too lazy to at least try. I tell myself that I am exactly where I am supposed to be but then I think about being in that cute farmhouse and how different life could have been...

I guess all I can do is make sure that I do what I can now and don't let the lazy side of me get a word in edgewise...

I've found after my internet exile that I have slipped back a bit to my old ways without realising it so am making a conscious effort to stay away from the laptop unless there is something that needs doing, like banking or eay. Spending time on the house or with family will make a much bigger difference in my life than knowing the most up to the minute news.

I have discovered google calendar tasks - I use the calendar all the time so having a checklist of things to be done on the side of it is very helpful. I haven't yet figured out how to show the tasks on my google calendar phone app though, I hope I can find a way because it would be extremely useful. update - SUCCESS!!! if anyone else is having this problem, you can type in mail.google.com/tasks on your phone and make a shortcut on the home screen. My list shows up! It's separate to the calendar on the phone but it works so I'm well pleased.
    Last edited by MistyMountainTop; 23-01-2018 at 10:24 AM.
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 29th Jan 18, 12:43 PM
    • 680 Posts
    • 2,459 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    Google tasks is still helping me get things done! It's nice to be able to jot something down on my phone as soon as I think of it. I forget everything if it's not down somewhere, and having a list to tick off makes sure it's getting done. I think I've become about 200% more efficient since staying off the internet for big blocks of time and just getting my head down and doing the work.

I had a job interview on Friday! I was so excited, but when I got there, the entire workforce was way under 25. It was like the whole office stopped and stared at me in horror when I came in. The application didn't ask for a DOB so they probably weren't expecting someone middle aged. The interview went ok for me, but who knows how it went from their end, they did say if I hadn't heard anything within 7 days then I hadn't been successful. Is this how it is now, they just don't contact you? In the past I've had "sorry we have now filled the position" letters or emails.

I asked a lot of questions about the job/company and it seems they are expecting a huge amount for the barely-above-minimum-wage salary offered. They expect people to stay late and come in early/on weekends if needed (without extra pay) as well, lord knows what you would do if you had a young family. I just had the feeling that I wouldn't enjoy working there - it seemed very high pressure. I couldn't make any sort of connection with the young women who interviewed me and tbh they probably saw me as a dowdy old woman. All the young people were very stylish and walking around with ipads and headsets, looking very busy and important. I'd be very surprised if I hear back from them.
    Last edited by MistyMountainTop; 29-01-2018 at 6:37 PM.
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 29th Jan 18, 2:32 PM
    • 6,070 Posts
    • 22,304 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Well done on your lists

As for the past, I agree with Dolly, I think that everyone looks back and think what if. Although you can't change the past, you're doing well to change your future hun.

Eeek to the job interview, it might not be exactly what you're after but it shows that there is a job out there for you, it's just hiding around the corner.

Pmo2
    xx
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: 6350.00 Cap 1: 407.72 BC: 6224.59
    AFD xxx LTW 4/17
    POAMAYC 2018 #041 PD 5970.32/7000
    Savings for Christmas 161.42/365
    20p Savers 2018 2 Savers 2018 50p Savers 2018 SPC 11 2018 #003
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 30th Jan 18, 1:07 PM
    • 8,680 Posts
    • 45,738 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    I have always insisted on writing a "thank you but on this occasion" letter to unsuccessful applicants when I've been involved with interviewing Misty - I'd consider it to be rude just to not tell someone anything!

the "regrets" thing - absolutely get where you're coming from. When MrEH and I first moved in together the flat below our rented one was up for sale - for 66k - at the time we'd only been together under a year and the mortgage would have had to be have been in my name alone due to his job situation, and I took the view that I wasn't happy to take that level of responsibility. By the time we moved out 5 years later the place was recently sold for well over 3 times that original figure, and we recently dealt with a sale of another property along the road from it here at work for 275k was it the right decision? No. Do I regret it? Also no - because for us, at the time, it was the correct thing to do. I wish I'd been brave enough to do differently, but it wasn't to be.

Put the past and "if only" behind you - who knows what might have been wrong with that other house with the land? You're making positive steps to change your future - so concentrate on the things that will make THAT better and more solid.

As for that job - sounds to me like it would end up being below min wage if they expect a lot of extra hours on top of standard for no additional pay. If you get it I would suggest you don't stop looking for something better!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 1229.00/944.19 (15/05/18)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 14th Feb 18, 9:27 PM
    • 680 Posts
    • 2,459 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    Thanks PMo2 and EH! I think my main regrets stem from when I knew at the time that I was making a bad decision, but made it anyway because I was ill-prepared or too lazy to do what was needed to make the good decision. It wasn't really about timing, finances, etc. The only thing to do now is when a decision feels like it's wrong, reflect and see if there is an option that feels like the right one, and do what it takes to make it happen. I've already started making good decisions and hopefully it will be one of those things that gets easier as time goes on.

Nothing new to report, really. I didn't get the job - thank goodness! They actually replied to say they wouldn't be taking my application further.

I've mainly been decluttering and selling on ebay. I'm hoping to get rid of it all and then will have another go at looking in charity shops specifically for things to re-sell, and possibly matched betting. It will take a while to get through everything I have here to sell especially as I keep finding more as I go through the drawers and cupboards. I'm not selling the main side-line equipment but there are lots of bits and bobs that I no longer need or use, so they are going. It's not anything I would need to replace in the future.

It feels good to be bringing in some money, though it's certainly not enough to survive on.
    • jvr
    • By jvr 4th Mar 18, 9:43 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    jvr
    Hey misty how are you?
    Debt: 10,006 now 8698.38
    Emergency Fund: 456.17/ 1000

• MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 6th Mar 18, 10:57 AM
    • 680 Posts
    • 2,459 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    Hi jvr!

There are a few dramas going on at home, but it's not something I can go into on a public forum. Aside from that I am trying to keep my head down. Just the one interview and no job offers at all, just silence or the occasional rejection email. I'm becoming very disheartened and wondering what is the point. Wanting my own house is the point but it now feels like a far off dream.

I've had my cv checked over twice now and have been told it's professional and there's nothing on there that would stop anyone interviewing me aside from my age, which is illegal but how can you prove it? I've even signed up with agencies who were very enthusiastic and then I never heard from again, even after contacting them for updates. It's like I've ceased to exist as far as jobs are concerned. I'm still selling on ebay and doing the sideline again in a small way to make sure some money is coming in but the time is coming soon when this will not be enough.

I gave up volunteering because the pressure to do more and more and the manager (who was paid) trying to push her work on to me was getting to be too much. I'm considering going somewhere different for one day or one afternoon a week, but being very firm that I won't do more than that - no taking home paperwork, going to committee meetings, fundraising, or basically being an unpaid employee. It will get me out of the house and focused on helping people rather than moping around feeling sorry for myself.
    • jvr
    • By jvr 6th Mar 18, 2:06 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    jvr
    Hope the drama resolves itself soon. The job front is rubbish... its awful when you feel like there is nothing you can do. Have you looked at alternative job sites for instance we have one called doinggoodleeds which is jobs in the charitable sector might be worth trying to look at something not in the standard stream?

• MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 6th Mar 18, 4:03 PM
    • 680 Posts
    • 2,459 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    thanks jvr, I've never heard of that site. I'll take a look now
    • jvr
    • By jvr 10th Mar 18, 9:20 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    jvr
    What kind of work are you looking for misty, I feel like you have said before but my mind is blank. I used to work as a personal assistant to disabled people which can be a great job, companion support accessing the community etc. And a lot of areas now have special websites to advertise on. Depending on what work you are looking for actually approaching organisations you want to work for rather than wait for them to advertise can work

• earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 10th Mar 18, 9:49 AM
    • 1,992 Posts
    • 22,350 Thanks
    earthgirl
    When I first moved I also looked into the role of support worker. There also seems to be lots of roles in schools up here at the moment. Good luck, hope its just around the corner.
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (220k) Dec 13 - 116,508 Bought Dream House Dec 14 - 94, 402 (22,106 offset in 2014) Jan 16 - 67, 852 (26,550 offset in 2015) Dec 16 - 33,529 ( 34,323offset in 2016)
    Jan 17 - 39, 773 (Re-estimation of endowments )
    Sept 17 22,619 Jan 18 - 11,687 Mar 18 -8524
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

40Posts Today

2,421Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin