Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 2nd Nov 16, 4:27 PM
    • 680Posts
    • 2,460Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    Climbing the Mountain
    • 2nd Nov 16, 4:27 PM
    Climbing the Mountain 2nd Nov 16 at 4:27 PM
    Hello! I have decided to start my own diary after being a long-time lurker. The inspiration on this forum is just lovely, maybe one day I can inspire someone too!

I do not have any debt, but I have not a bean in savings, pensions, an ISA, equity in property, etc. I currently work part time and qualify for some benefits but am looking for a new or additional job that will bring in a higher wage. I am also looking for new ways to bring in money from the internet, I currently do online surveys and competitions but am not yet seeing much of a return for the amount of time I have put in, so I am not sure if I will continue. I am very good at pinching the pennys so increasing my wages is probably the best way forward.

My main goal is to buy my very own property. I have been renting for decades, and now feel ready and excited to take on the challenge of saving as much as possible for a house deposit or even to buy something with cash. I would love to move to the wilds of Wales where I could live on the top of a misty mountain, but at my age, a retirement flat in Rhyl may be more practical. I am tempted by Ilona's lovely life in North Lincolnshire, so I will keep my options open for now. As long as I have a chimney and a wood burning stove, the animals and I will be happy!

Thank you for stopping by and please say hello!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updated with 2017 list of goals so I can see them and edit as the year goes along.

1.Bring in extra £600 a month minimum, increasing income month on month
    2. Actively explore new ways to achieve above
    3. Finish the big de-clutter properly - anything sold, transfer money over to savings after bills are paid so it doesn't get spent
    4. Keep a spending diary in handbag, update after every purchase, review at end of each month
    5. Clean entire house thoroughly and set up a regular cleaning schedule, possibly join flylady
    6. Make and stick to Meal Plans / shopping lists / food budget
    7. Schedule No Spend days/weeks
    8. Transfer odd change to savings account every day
    9. Wombling
    10. Keep Debt-Free diary updated
    11. Budget !!!8211; make and stick to
    12. Eat proper breakfast/lunch mainly fruit and veg, eat smaller portions for dinner, less carbs/sugar, puddings on special occasions only
    13. Cook most/all meals from scratch
    14. Meatless meals twice a week, increasing as we find recipes we love
    15. Bake once a week
    16. Get off laptop and live in the real world, severely limit online time wasting
    17. Lose 10lbs a month until reaching ideal weight, then maintain it
    18. Take at least 3 long walks a week
    19. Find a local yoga class and give it a try
    20. Figure out how to get a good nights sleep during the change
    21. Build up immune system/personal health
    22. Think before buying, is it really wanted/needed/useful/going to ruin my diet?
    23. Read all books I already own before buying/borrowing more
    24. Ziffit all unwanted books/games/DVDs
    25. Learn a new craft/skill i.e. knitting, quilting, or needlework
    26. Be more present in life, make a point of really listening when people talk
    27. Save for a week away with the family in a secluded holiday cottage in the country
    28. Save up and keep £500 in emergency fund, replenish if spent
    29. Keep on top of filofax planner and spend 10 minutes going over my calender/goals/lists every morning or possibly even the night before.
    30. Have a weekly de-clutter day or half day
    Last edited by MistyMountainTop; 31-12-2016 at 12:46 PM.
Page 25
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 6th Sep 17, 10:34 AM
    • 8,719 Posts
    • 46,008 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Hmmm...it seems surprising that age could be a factor - as you say the lack of up to date experience will have a bearing though so a good plan to try to fix that. The interview will have been good experience in itself though.

Absolutely get what you mean about wanting to get back to a routine too - I LOVE how busy my summers are but it must be said by this stage in the year I'm starting to feel that honestly, I just need things to get back to a slightly slower paced routine now!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£1035.63 (09/07/18)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 7th Sep 17, 1:47 PM
    • 680 Posts
    • 2,460 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    I'm trying a slightly new way of doing things... when I first wake up, I'm focusing on figuring out what will get me closer to my goals each day, and doing that thing first. I've found that if I sit down to answer emails, do housework, make phone calls, etc. that my day ends up being completely filled and while I've done stuff that needed doing, I haven't made any progress towards what is important.

I'm also severely limiting the time I spend online, and giving myself a deadline to get certain things done (for example 30 mins to answer emails and make phone calls, 45 mins for housework) because if I don't have a time set to stop and move on to something else, I will either get the thing done but in an unhurried manor, or I will just keep going on my to-do list without any real thought about which things are the most helpful and end up feeling like a drudge. I know I have more than enough time to get everything that is needed done, I'm just not using my time very effectively. I'd like to get this way of doing things ingrained asap so when I start working full time, things don't fall apart. It's working pretty well so far - I got more done this morning than I did all last week.
    Current Weight Loss: 2/ 96
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 11th Sep 17, 11:14 AM
    • 680 Posts
    • 2,460 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    I'm still clearing out things and selling on ebay - I usually go with a buy-it-now price but thought I'd take some advice and try starting auctions at .99p to see where they go. Unfortunately a large amount of things ended up selling for exactly that - .99p. Once the fees are taken into consideration, I'll end up making about .50p on each item. I would have been better off selling them at a car boot. I really don't understand how ebay can justify an "ending fee on postage", it's such a scam. Lesson learned, never again!

I'm planning on taking a break from all internet for a month or two except for checking emails. Life is very stressful at the moment, so I'm stripping back everything that isn't absolutely necessary before I have a breakdown! I've already cut way back over the last few months but when I get stressed I tend to use browsing the internet as an escape and don't get the things done that need doing, which only adds to the stress. I'll be back in November if I can hold out that long. xx
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 11th Sep 17, 11:31 AM
    • 6,179 Posts
    • 22,695 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    I'm planning on taking a break from all internet for a month or two except for checking emails. Life is very stressful at the moment, so I'm stripping back everything that isn't absolutely necessary before I have a breakdown! I've already cut way back over the last few months but when I get stressed I tend to use browsing the internet as an escape and don't get the things done that need doing, which only adds to the stress. I'll be back in November if I can hold out that long. xx
    Originally posted by MistyMountainTop

It's always good to have a step back and a refocus. Hope everything is ok? Big hugs lovely lady xxx
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: £6130.00 Cap 1: £305.35 BC: £TBC

POAMAYC 2018 #041 PD £6559.32/£7000
    Savings for Christmas £191.84/£365
    20p Savers 2018 £2 Savers 2018 50p Savers 2018 SPC 11 2018 #003
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 11th Sep 17, 11:57 AM
    • 8,719 Posts
    • 46,008 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Hope you're ok - and that you see the last replies to this before you go!

Remember - baby steps. You can do anything for 15 minutes. And the end result is sometimes more important than the steps you take to get there. See you when you return! xx
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 22nd Nov 17, 3:38 PM
    • 6,179 Posts
    • 22,695 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    HI Misty,

Just popping in to say hello hope you're okay and life has settled down a bit for you? xx

• EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 22nd Nov 17, 3:57 PM
    • 8,719 Posts
    • 46,008 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Well remembered PMO2 - hope all's good Misty!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 29th Nov 17, 9:20 AM
    • 680 Posts
    • 2,460 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    Thank you both for remembering me!

A couple of months away has helped me break the cycle of constant wasting time on t'internet and allowed me to get my priorities in back order. I still check fb once in a while, but it seems all the same people are whinging about the same things and it reinforces my decision to take a step back.

I haven't found a full time job that I'd be happy to do. I've been able to increase my p/t hours as it's coming up to the busy season and am making up the shortfall by looking in charity shops on a regular basis for clothes, etc. to re-sell on ebay. The side line has dried up completely but at the moment it's a relief to not be chasing jobs or worrying about deadlines. Things have been ticking over fairly smoothly but it's a false sense of security as there's very little in the savings account. My current goal is to have £750 in the emergency pot, and then start on the house deposit. I am expecting some money for Xmas from my relatives, but there is nothing I need or want so am happy and a bit excited to be able to put it in the emergency fund.

I feel like I have a better grip on my life, and am happy to just get on with it. I'm spending on very little aside from food - buying as much yellow sticker fruit and veg as possible and basing the weekly menu on that. Being a little bit more organised has made my life easier. Figuring out what my main focus is and having an action plan has helped me get rid of the distractions. I've resigned from all volunteering and have no social commitments. I am enjoying being a homebody.

I haven't yet caught up with anyone's diary but will be doing it over the next week or so. I hope everyone has been well and I'l be back soon xx
    Last edited by MistyMountainTop; 29-11-2017 at 10:44 AM.
    • Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 29th Nov 17, 9:44 AM
    • 779 Posts
    • 2,030 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    Keep fighting Misty there is always light at the end of the tunnel xx
    Cashback Earnings YTD £46.04 Survey Earnings YTD £182.66
    "Always always train, be the best version of you that you can physically be"
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 29th Nov 17, 9:55 AM
    • 3,861 Posts
    • 11,029 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    Hey MMT,

Sometimes its good to take a step back and re evaluate isn't it.

I got rid of FB about 2/3 years ago, such a massive waste of my time and energy. Bet if I went on it would be the same old rubbish that was on there anyway.

Dxxx
    CWP Goal Weight 21lbs/91lbs
    Debt Free Wannabee £2,840.31/£6,649.97
    3-6 Month EF, £140/£7,000
    2nd July 2018 - I have 3 Nationwide Referrals available, PM me if you want £100 to switch accounts
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 5th Dec 17, 3:12 PM
    • 680 Posts
    • 2,460 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    I'm making a huge effort to apply for jobs, as earning money is my #1 priority (tied with improving health) - there has been a spate of full time positions that would suit me down to the ground but I haven't heard back yet from any of them. Keeping my fingers crossed, I know the right job is out there and I will find it!

Aside from that, I've deep cleaned and decorated the house for Xmas, it's looking very cosy and cheerful. The family will all be coming home, and I can't wait!

Last edited by MistyMountainTop; 12-12-2017 at 1:14 PM.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 5th Dec 17, 3:32 PM
    • 1,503 Posts
    • 8,406 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Hi Misty

Great to see you back again
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 5th Dec 17, 3:41 PM
    • 8,719 Posts
    • 46,008 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Welcome back Misty - so glad to hear that your time away has achieved what you hoped in terms of habit-breaking! And yes, know what you mean about FB - I get so sick of all the "Me Me Me" on there!

Sounds like you're going the right way with the job hunting - there WILL be something out there - and it might be that the New Year will see more vacancies opening up that would suit too as people overhaul their lives for "resolutions" etc. Good luck!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 7th Dec 17, 2:46 PM
    • 6,179 Posts
    • 22,695 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Hi lovely,

Glad to see you back xx

• maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 7th Dec 17, 4:11 PM
    • 3,544 Posts
    • 32,435 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Waves to Misty, great to see you back.
    MM x
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 9th Dec 17, 1:14 PM
    • 680 Posts
    • 2,460 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    Thank you all so much! I've missed being on here and catching up with everyone but needed the time away to sort out my life.

I'm giving up the sideline and concentrating on full time work. A regular 40 hr a week pay cheque will give me the ability to cover the bills, have an emergency fund, and start the flat deposit properly. The side line is still important but it would take another few years to build it up enough to bring in a full time wage, and I don't have enough cash reserves to see me through the times when I'm not bringing in new commissions. I'm tired of always robbing Peter to pay Paul and not getting further ahead with buying my own flat. As the sole earner in the household, I need to do what it takes to look after my family. I won't sell my equipment unless there comes a point when I've realised I'll never get back to it. I could also still do it in a very part time way but won't to commit to any new commissions until I've found employment and been working full time for a few months, just to see how my mind and body cope.

I'm doing some baking and laundry today. I'm also having a tidy up this afternoon because I love relaxing on a Sunday in a clean house!

I hope everyone is having a nice weekend xx
    Last edited by MistyMountainTop; 11-12-2017 at 1:33 PM.
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 12th Dec 17, 1:02 PM
    • 680 Posts
    • 2,460 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    More house cleaning today, making sure the sheets are fresh, etc. to get ready for everyone being here over Xmas. I'm just about to go through the budget again to make sure there is no overspending during the holidays. Not much else going on, but I have plenty to keep me busy and I feel very productive.

Funny thing about staying off t'internet for a few months - aside from MSE and things like online banking, I'm now finding using the computer to be irritating and avoiding it at all costs. I have a lot more free time to do things like cooking all meals from scratch and more baking. I even sit down with a book some afternoons if everything is done. I'd forgotten how nice it was to not be online/connected all the time, it's like living in the 1990's!
    Last edited by MistyMountainTop; 12-12-2017 at 2:15 PM.
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 12th Dec 17, 1:07 PM
    • 8,719 Posts
    • 46,008 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    You really do sound as though things have fallen into place in your head about the right way forwards for you!

Good plan to put the sideline on hold for the time being but to hold onto the equipment - and as you say it might be something you'd want to do on an occasional basis but without actively seeking it as "work".
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 12th Dec 17, 1:26 PM
    • 680 Posts
    • 2,460 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    Thanks EH, I will admit that I spent too much time online (even though I had cut it way down) as I was telling myself it was time well spent - researching something, looking for a new recipe, drumming up sideline business, etc. but in reality I was getting too distracted and could easily take 1/2 hr to do something that should have taken 5 mins. Being free from that dependency has been liberating and made it much easier to look more objectively at the best way to reach my goals.
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 13th Dec 17, 12:13 PM
    • 680 Posts
    • 2,460 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    Today is being filled with more cleaning, cooking, laundry, and generally being happy to get things done. The house hasn't looked this good in a long time. It's like a big weight has been lifted off my shoulders and I'm back living in the real world. I do get the irony of posting this on an online forum though
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,135Posts Today

8,524Users online

Martin's Twitter