Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 28th Oct 16, 12:08 PM
    • 8,624Posts
    • 45,380Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    EH - Essex > Hebrides...facilitating the next step of the adventure?
    • 28th Oct 16, 12:08 PM
    EH - Essex > Hebrides...facilitating the next step of the adventure? 28th Oct 16 at 12:08 PM
    Well well - here we are again then, new diary as threatened promised - the previous one can be found HERE - there are others too - if I can be bothered to go find them I'll add in some links, otherwise feel free to go stalking if you should wish to!

Previous diary to the previous one mentioned above...
    ..and the previous one to that, too...

So, I've been here a while (since 2008, in fact) and can't ever imagine quite managing to leave entirely now. I've made some seriously good friends thanks to this place (Stripes, Cheery, I'm looking at you ladies!) - and for that reason alone I'll hang about like a bad smell for as long as they'll have me. A brief summary of "me" - too short to reach anything interesting, Londoner (full of resentment due to being forced out when we wanted to buy somewhere to live - damned incomers and property prices!) currently living in Essex with MrEH. The username is Essex = for where we are currently, and Hebridean = representing the fact that the long term plan is to move to the ludicrously far-flung but ridiculously beautiful islands off the west coast of Scotland. (as and when the move happens I shall be requesting a change of name to LondonHebridean so nobody even THINK about taking that one, OK?)

Started on here with a loan and a tenuous grasp on our money, plus a mortgage. Budgeting happened. An emergency fund was built. We discovered we liked the challenge of teaching financial institutions a lesson. The loan was kicked into touch first off, and then we started the onslaught on the mortgage. Various adventures along the way including losing half my income practically overnight and a 6 year experiment with being self-employed, all good fun. We waved a cheerful goodbye to the mortgage on 30th September this year - paying it off over 12 years early and according to MrEH's clever spreadsheet saving ourselves around £35k in interest had we left it to run to term. Go us, eh?

So - this is the next chapter, really. While debt free (and that seems amazing) we want to:

a) Stay that way
    b) Build a savings pot - firstly to ensure that we can at the least put down a chunky deposit against a future "Islandy" dwelling, and secondly to assist with a lifestyle which is less work and more full when we get there.
    c) Do up our existing flat to make it into a fab place for us to live while we're still here, and a desirable rental for when we're not.
    d) Have fun. Lots of it.

There will be food, regular lunatic visitors (that's this thread, not at home, although sometimes at home too), a reluctance to wield hairbrushes, some Little Red Jets, and hopefully some laughs along the way. Want to join me for the ride? Well I'd be delighted - grab a chair!!
    Last edited by EssexHebridean; 17-11-2017 at 6:58 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£853.32 (12/02/18)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
Page 51
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 12th Feb 18, 11:52 AM
    • 8,624 Posts
    • 45,380 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Haha WF I suspect if they'd realised how bad that first bit was before everyone arrived they might have cancelled our one too!

Very nice weekend - the result of the England rugby match on Saturday helped - several celebratory beverages were consumed and I *might* have fallen straight asleep when we got home at 9pm... Yesterday we headed up to the RSPB reserve at their headquarters in Bedfordshire - we've spent years saying we must visit one day and are now kicking ourselves we didn't go sooner as it's a glorious place! We'll definitely be going back!

So spendiness to declare:
    - Shopping on Friday: £3.97 in Aldi, £13.41 in ThaT supermarkeT = £17.38 total
    - Tea & cake at parkrun was MrEH's treat - admittedly mostly because I'd not taken a purse with me! It was donations to MIND charity though so we felt that was a good cause!
    - I handed £10 to MrEH on Saturday so he could buy my round of drinks at the club (he gets membership discount)
    Think that's about it - the parking/reserve admission was free yesterday as we're RSPB members.

The TCB money has arrived and been transferred to the card - signature updated.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • MuffinTops
    • By MuffinTops 12th Feb 18, 12:39 PM
    • 2,119 Posts
    • 6,416 Thanks
    MuffinTops
    Hello EH,

Congratulations on the park run and getting around twice without causing any injury. I think whichever option you chose on the sprinting would have made you wonder if the alternative would have been a better option.

Not a bad spend for the weekend either. I'm still struggling with the frittering, but it's not an overnight cure for me. Small steps towards the goal is best for me.
    STARTING 2017:
    Credit Card Debt: £2,650.00!!!
    ======================
    Saving For a New Property
    Pot of Gold = All gone to the above
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 12th Feb 18, 2:35 PM
    • 1,667 Posts
    • 9,791 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Well done on a Park run , what's next , 10k or half marathon?

Sounds like a good weekend was had by all.
    CC1 £3655 April 2018.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Feb 18, 5:29 PM
    • 52,657 Posts
    • 206,555 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad you had a good weekend.
    Well done on the run
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 13th Feb 18, 4:28 PM
    • 8,624 Posts
    • 45,380 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    MuffinTops I think you're right - I'm hoping to try a slightly more reasoned speedier finish at my 5k tomorrow and see how that feels. Hopefully my Strava will play nicely this time too so I'll get a better grasp of my pace throughout! (And no ice - if that's not altogether too demanding! )

CL nope I'm currently quite happy at 5k - but I'd like to start getting quicker over that distance. On a good day I can do it sub-30 minutes but I'd like to make that the usual rather than "ooh that was quick!" and then see how much more I can take it down by. IU've got absolutely no ambition to even think about a marathon, I get a bit bored towards the end running for 30 minutes truth be told so lord knows how tedious doing several hours would be! I might work up to 10k distance at some stage but honestly undecided on that as yet - and thinking that this year will be a 5k sort of a year.

Beanie thank you!

I have some accommodation for a trip later in the year that I need to book, and it looks like I'm now sorting out something for a pal as well. Currently trying to choose between two options 1 of which is an Air B & B with no reviews - not entirely sure I'm comfortable with that, but if I go with the second option I'd still need to find something for the first night of the stay as that option is only available for the second. Pah! Hmmm...another look this evening I think and a definite decision to be made as if I leave it any longer there will be nothing available!

Dinner this evening is the other half of Sunday's beef stew which I'm rather looking forward to - and the meat box arrived today so I'll have that to unpack and get put away as well - looking forward to seeing what it all looks like!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 13th Feb 18, 4:34 PM
    • 3,448 Posts
    • 31,653 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Look forward to reading your thoughts on the meat box, I have ordered mine for delivery on 28th as we needed to eat our way through all the stashed food in the freezer, that is going well and only have One potentially weird combination planned so far
    • MuffinTops
    • By MuffinTops 22nd Feb 18, 8:00 AM
    • 2,119 Posts
    • 6,416 Thanks
    MuffinTops
    As a frequent AirBNB-er, I'd say it's probably safe to go for it. Every new rental needs to start somewhere and if it's also a good price and they've put up photos then you should be ok. It's such a tough market out there for rentals now that I think people have upped their game?

No ice and a working strava! Woah there!!! Good luck with your Reasoned Run.
    STARTING 2017:
    Credit Card Debt: £2,650.00!!!
    ======================
    Saving For a New Property
    Pot of Gold = All gone to the above
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 26th Feb 18, 12:39 PM
    • 8,624 Posts
    • 45,380 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Hello all! Apologies for absence - it's been a busy couple of weeks!

Maddiemay we're very impressed with the Heartier box again - only eaten the Pork Loin so far but that was delicious and plenty big enough for two generous meals for the two of us. Had I been scrimping I could have made it go to a third as well. Everything came up packaged well as usual and the ice packs were still frozen solid inside the box. Planning to use the lamb mince this week I think.

MuffinTops I clearly jinxed myself...the weather was utterly REVOLTING!! Freezing cold, howling wind and sideways heavy rain - lovely huh?! Even long-term "serious" runners were saying it was some of the worst conditions they'd run in! I forgot to take contact lenses so couldn't see much thanks to rain on glasses, and had to just start Strava when the signal to go was given and shove it in my running belt as it would have drowned otherwise, but managed to use the first lap of the course to pitch my plan for the end, and followed my thinking about picking up a bit of pace on the uphill sections (gently sloping rather than steep) - plus managed a good sprint finish which I was happy with. My chip time was 29.36, and Strava actually gave me a sub-29 time over 5k distance! Very pleased with my nice blingy medal!

No more running exploits since - a few short ones but I've been wary about it as I've had niggly lower back pain that I felt might benefit from a rest - and that seems to have done the trick as it's a lot better now. Hoping to get back to it this week if the weather allows although admittedly that's looking like a massive "if" at the moment.

Not talking about the rugby result on saturday...

Spendiness...
    -meal out after the 5k which was planned
    - the weekend just gone which really wasn't cheap but again, was planned. Night out with a pal on Thursday, trip to Derby for a beer festival on Friday (got the bus to the tube station rather than the more straightforward but more expensive walk to the Mainline and then train into London, then a MegaTrain ticket up to Derby, and a £19.50 Travelodge room ensured that it wasn't horrifically costly) then travelled with a pal across to Norwich on Saturday (I bought his breakfast, he paid the fuel) for another beer festival. All very jolly and worth it's money. The accommodation in both locations was paid ahead of time so as usual it was food and drink that was the big cost at this stage. The CC got used for a handful of bits but again, all budgeted for.

I'll be doing food shopping tonight - aiming to get as close to a £20 spend as I can so I can make use of a Morrisons voucher giving me 2000 extra points on that level of spend - and that should earn me a £5 voucher too which I'll set aside for a planned weekend away over Easter I think. We have a meal plan (done in the car on the way home yesterday) and a shopping list (same). Not much spendiness planned this week - although I may throw in a second gym visit to counteract the icy roads meaning running is unlikely to happen. Was hoping to get to Scampton on Friday but that's not going to happen - so I'll probably swim then.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 26th Feb 18, 2:05 PM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 11,614 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Sounds like you've been busy and had fun stuff going on

Have a lovely day

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 26th Feb 18, 8:32 PM
    • 1,593 Posts
    • 9,467 Thanks
    redofromstart
    You do indeed sound busy. I am keeping an eye on the heartier offers and will try them when there is one that works for us.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 26th Feb 18, 8:33 PM
    • 52,657 Posts
    • 206,555 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad all is well & yah to the shiny bright medal

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 20th Mar 18, 12:14 PM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 11,614 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Hope all is well EH

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 4th Apr 18, 11:53 AM
    • 8,624 Posts
    • 45,380 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Oopsy - where did March go?!

All ticking along nicely here - including a lovely trip up to Yorkshire over the Easter weekend. we managed to get out and about and do lots in spite of it being ridiculously wet for a fair bit of the time. The majority of the weekend was paid for from various budgeted means too - the accommodation was last month's council tax & water rates money, a couple of meals out will come from our joint fun budget, and odds and ends of spending came from money not spent over last month from the joint account so all good there.

Surveys have slowed down rather although it does feel a bit like Prolific has picked up in the past couple of weeks thankfully. OnePoll is ticking along slowly. Got a Secret survey site one this morning so that will be £3 to cash out in due course, and the others are just ticking along really. Managed to put an extra £10 to the 0% card last month but it really needs to step up a gear now if I'm going to get it cleared without using the money I set aside for it.

Spending - well the weekend away of course, all planned. Also planned was my purchase of a dedicated running watch last month - I was keeping my eye on the one I wanted online, but it was refusing to dip to quite the price i wanted to pay so I held off. Then someone recomended a different one to me and in the course of looking at that Amazon threw me up an offer for £99.99 on the Garmin that I really wanted. Used it a couple of times now and I'm really pleased with it so that was money well spent. MrEH's car had a mini service and health check and will hang on a bit longer by the looks of it, which is good. Mine will need a new tyre fitted after hitting a massive pothole on the M11 on Monday but I'm hoping to claim that money back from the Highways Agency - we'll see how that works out.

Fitness and running stuff continues although I had a rocky patch with running for a few weeks - a very bad run that knocked my confidence rather. I'm getting back into it again now which is good, the new watch has helped as it's given me added motivation to get out there and do it, and I now have a couple of fitness challenges to get stuck into as well which is good. Aiming to throw in a bit more strength training from now as well I think as that will help with the running too.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Apr 18, 1:46 PM
    • 52,657 Posts
    • 206,555 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad that you had a nice break.

***Keep plodding***
    • stepuptothepl8
    • By stepuptothepl8 4th Apr 18, 5:26 PM
    • 846 Posts
    • 4,180 Thanks
    stepuptothepl8
    Hi .. word to the wise re pothole claims.. you may not get anywhere if they have an inspection and repair policy in place, unless they've either not done the inspection in time, or haven't repaired it in time once it's been inspected. Definitely worth a go though. PM me if you need any extra info

Which watch did you get?? I got a garmin 235 for my birthday and I it
    LBM 1st Feb 2015 £16660 to go
    my diary: time to step up to the plate. SPC#503
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 5th Apr 18, 11:58 AM
    • 8,624 Posts
    • 45,380 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Hi .. word to the wise re pothole claims.. you may not get anywhere if they have an inspection and repair policy in place, unless they've either not done the inspection in time, or haven't repaired it in time once it's been inspected. Definitely worth a go though. PM me if you need any extra info

Which watch did you get?? I got a garmin 235 for my birthday and I it
    Originally posted by stepuptothepl8
    Ahh thanks for that info - I'll see how I get on I guess. Some of those on the M11 have been there for ages getting steadily worse and worse mind you - I knew about the ones I hit but not that the left hand one had spread sideways across the carriageway making it unavoidable.

Mine is the "baby" version - the Forerunner 35 - debated about the 235 but decided that I couldn't justify the extra spend. The 35 also has the "virtual pacer" function on it that I wanted (and that I must try out at some stage!) - briefly looked at some of the TomTom offerings but it was the Garmin I'd really set my mind on so I was pleased to be able to nab it for the right price!

General money good news here this morning - my CC PPI "Plevin" claim is apparently being paid out on. We now have a mini sweepstake running on quite HOW small the cheque will be when it arrives - I've guessing it might be around £10 at most - the card never had a high balance on it as far as I can recall although I did use it for a fair number of years back in the "pre cashback-cards" days so we'll see. It's not going to be enough to retire on though that's for sure! Still better in my pocket than in theirs, though!

Tomorrow will be a day of getting odds and ends done I think. That tyre replacement, a shopping list and a meal plan, a walk to Aldi & back - onions, and limes from the S6 this week for definite I think - maybe avocado, tomatoes and garlic too depending how they look. A trip to ThaT supermarkeT or possibly sainsbugs - I have a voucher for there thinking about it. Might try to get the bike out of the garage and get some air in the tyres to work out if they need replacing or not too. General house type bits. "Day off" you say? Hmmm!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 6th Apr 18, 8:21 AM
    • 14,974 Posts
    • 98,801 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Morning Moonbeam and friends. Enjoy your day off, I'm having one too.

Happy Friday.
    Overdraft 1 £1000/£0, Overdraft 2 £1000/£0, Credit Card 1 £1044.93/£0, Credit Card 2 £2710.57/1725.27
    Total Debt as of 6/8/2017 £5755.40 eek: total debt 24/9 £4060 PAID off £1695.40 Total 22/12 4025.27 PAID OFF £1730.13 1/3/18 Total £37025.27 £2030.13 paid off
    :
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 6th Apr 18, 3:26 PM
    • 8,069 Posts
    • 39,492 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    And me with the day off Although mine is at the tail end of a fortnight off so feels rather bitter sweet....
    Mortgage over payments since Feb 2018 = £201.85
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,533Posts Today

5,814Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin