Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 28th Oct 16, 12:08 PM
    • 8,623Posts
    • 45,406Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    EH - Essex > Hebrides...facilitating the next step of the adventure?
    • 28th Oct 16, 12:08 PM
    EH - Essex > Hebrides...facilitating the next step of the adventure? 28th Oct 16 at 12:08 PM
    Well well - here we are again then, new diary as threatened promised - the previous one can be found HERE - there are others too - if I can be bothered to go find them I'll add in some links, otherwise feel free to go stalking if you should wish to!

Previous diary to the previous one mentioned above...
    ..and the previous one to that, too...

So, I've been here a while (since 2008, in fact) and can't ever imagine quite managing to leave entirely now. I've made some seriously good friends thanks to this place (Stripes, Cheery, I'm looking at you ladies!) - and for that reason alone I'll hang about like a bad smell for as long as they'll have me. A brief summary of "me" - too short to reach anything interesting, Londoner (full of resentment due to being forced out when we wanted to buy somewhere to live - damned incomers and property prices!) currently living in Essex with MrEH. The username is Essex = for where we are currently, and Hebridean = representing the fact that the long term plan is to move to the ludicrously far-flung but ridiculously beautiful islands off the west coast of Scotland. (as and when the move happens I shall be requesting a change of name to LondonHebridean so nobody even THINK about taking that one, OK?)

Started on here with a loan and a tenuous grasp on our money, plus a mortgage. Budgeting happened. An emergency fund was built. We discovered we liked the challenge of teaching financial institutions a lesson. The loan was kicked into touch first off, and then we started the onslaught on the mortgage. Various adventures along the way including losing half my income practically overnight and a 6 year experiment with being self-employed, all good fun. We waved a cheerful goodbye to the mortgage on 30th September this year - paying it off over 12 years early and according to MrEH's clever spreadsheet saving ourselves around 35k in interest had we left it to run to term. Go us, eh?

So - this is the next chapter, really. While debt free (and that seems amazing) we want to:

a) Stay that way
    b) Build a savings pot - firstly to ensure that we can at the least put down a chunky deposit against a future "Islandy" dwelling, and secondly to assist with a lifestyle which is less work and more full when we get there.
    c) Do up our existing flat to make it into a fab place for us to live while we're still here, and a desirable rental for when we're not.
    d) Have fun. Lots of it.

There will be food, regular lunatic visitors (that's this thread, not at home, although sometimes at home too), a reluctance to wield hairbrushes, some Little Red Jets, and hopefully some laughs along the way. Want to join me for the ride? Well I'd be delighted - grab a chair!!
    Last edited by EssexHebridean; 17-11-2017 at 6:58 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 1229.00/853.32 (12/02/18)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
Page 49
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 6th Feb 18, 3:51 PM
    • 1,616 Posts
    • 9,673 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I go on and on about the lovely carrot biryani recipe here, my current favourite food.
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 6th Feb 18, 4:01 PM
    • 8,623 Posts
    • 45,406 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    I go on and on about the lovely carrot biryani recipe here, my current favourite food.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    You see, I think that sounds amazing - and in fact it may well be something I'll cook for myself at some stage. MrEH however is of the odd opinion that carrots are not food. He says the same about olives so he's clearly deranged, but it does make him mildly rebellious about eating anything with them in. (Although he stood and watched me grate a large carrot into the cottage pie that we had on sunday and still polished off a mahoosive plateful of it so there is hope. )

WF funny how we all look at each others planned meals and think how nice they sound isn't it!
    Last edited by EssexHebridean; 06-02-2018 at 4:20 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Silver Queen
    • By Silver Queen 6th Feb 18, 4:13 PM
    • 345 Posts
    • 1,704 Thanks
    Silver Queen
    MrEH is so wrong...olives are the greatest food known to mankind. And olive oil. And balsamic vinegar. And bread, and cheese...basically a Mediterranean diet for me
    Debt Totals April 2018::
    350 Natwest Credit Card / Now 0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) 15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now 10,500 500 train ticket loan from parents / Now 0 (paid off 16/02/18) 2,000 Overdraft Now 0 (paid off 09/03/18)
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 6th Feb 18, 4:32 PM
    • 4,172 Posts
    • 46,489 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Originally posted by redofromstart

That does sound nice redo - and the ingredients nicely MSE I'll bookmark that and have a go myself some time Thanks

to EH - MrEH doesn't like carrots nor olives????? Even lil' baybee Greying likes olives Carrots....... nosomuch

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • Silver Queen
    • By Silver Queen 6th Feb 18, 4:47 PM
    • 345 Posts
    • 1,704 Thanks
    Silver Queen
    That does sound nice redo - and the ingredients nicely MSE I'll bookmark that and have a go myself some time Thanks

to EH - MrEH doesn't like carrots nor olives????? Even lil' baybee Greying likes olives Carrots....... nosomuch

Greying X
    Originally posted by Greying Pilgrim

Greying, hope all is well, I'm a long time lurker/occasional poster in your diary and noticed you haven't posted in a while.

Carrot biryani seems interesting...not sure if I feel or about it...
    Debt Totals April 2018::
    350 Natwest Credit Card / Now 0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) 15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now 10,500 500 train ticket loan from parents / Now 0 (paid off 16/02/18) 2,000 Overdraft Now 0 (paid off 09/03/18)
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 6th Feb 18, 6:56 PM
    • 2,150 Posts
    • 13,655 Thanks
    rtandon27
    ...Even lil' baybee Greying likes olives ...
    Originally posted by Greying Pilgrim
    Wow - BB Greying has sophisticated tastes! - Always thought olives were a developed taste! - over time - as we age...
    ONE YEAR & 5 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Feb 18, 7:00 PM
    • 52,929 Posts
    • 208,316 Thanks
    beanielou
    Not an olive lover me.
    Even when you get them directly off the tree in FRance
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 6th Feb 18, 7:44 PM
    • 3,453 Posts
    • 9,089 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Carrots yay - especially the Kingdom sweet ones Wa1tro5e have. Olives, nooooo.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... MFW progress 2.3 2.8% 3.1% 3.3%

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 6th Feb 18, 7:50 PM
    • 4,172 Posts
    • 46,489 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Wow - BB Greying has sophisticated tastes! - Always thought olives were a developed taste! - over time - as we age...
    Originally posted by rtandon27
    Yes, loves them - we have black olives at the towers. Will eat them - but balk at carrots, or baybeebelle cheese (I mean how bland???), or mashed potato, or, or, or.........

Greying X

PS - they do love olives - but aren't allowed too many because of the salt content
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Feb 18, 9:08 PM
    • 52,929 Posts
    • 208,316 Thanks
    beanielou
    Salt in olives. Who knew

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 7th Feb 18, 12:34 PM
    • 8,623 Posts
    • 45,406 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Greying It might be that it's because of the distinctive taste the BG loves them rather than in spite of? I'm guessing there is some logic in children that are brought up with strongly flavoured foods introduced as at a young age being less open to blander stuff?

And yes - MrEH does indeed have odd tastes. He DOES love Marmite though - and turned me from an indifferent into a lover of the stuff, so not all bad! (Yes I did just mention that solely to spark the inevitable debate!)

All to plan here. Well aside from the office heating being turned down to silly-low overnight so it was 13 degrees when I walked in this morning, My hands are STILL cold!

I'm not planning to spend anything on anything today - although that could change but on paper at least it should be a NSD. We're not car sharing as MrEH had to be in London early so I'll be heading straight home from here tonight which on a day as cold as today is actually rather welcome. Wanted to run tonight but currently have a bit of a niggle from my hip so as I want to parkrun on Saturday and I have the race next week as well I'm going to do the sensible thing and keep exercise today to walking only I think. Irritating but I know it's the right thing to do. Going to take ibuprofen through the day today as well as that will probably help if there's inflammation in the joint.

We need to do some proper financial forward planning at some stage - we've not had a full-on brainstorming session about things for a while so I think this weekend might be the time
    - We need to decide where we're going with cars from here as one thing - the changes to the MoT test relating to diesels mean far more "vague" guidelines and it seems that the method of determining whether a car will pass or fail will be entirely down to the individual tester rather than coming down to a series of set levels on certain things. Extremely annoying for someone like me who bought my diesel car at a time when the government of the day were encouraging people to do so. I'm more than happy to keep mine for several years yet but this change could see her needing scrapping and hitting zero value overnight. Hey ho - what will be will be but we do need to make a decision both on mine and on MrEH's which might have an expensive repair coming up - something flagged on the MoT Test on his as an advisory which might be a 2k+ repair if what I've read is correct - the car's only worth about 800 so very much not worth it. That needs discussion.
    - Also need to double check on things like our savings for known events this year to make sure we're on track
    - And set a level we're both happy with for our "Emergency fund" which lives in the ISA - anything over a certain level needs to go to the Tesco savings account which pays slightly more interest.
    - I also want to redo our SOA at some stage (or hopefully MSE Budget Brain if it's working again now) and just make sure that everything is on track there.

Surveys are picking up -
    Prolific: 10.02 payable/2.41 Pending
    OnePoll: 9.45
    Power of Opinions: 701 points
    YouGov: 2,850 points....YAWN
    PopulusLive: 11 points

Need to remember to request payout from Prolific tomorrow.
    Last edited by EssexHebridean; 07-02-2018 at 12:48 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 7th Feb 18, 2:00 PM
    • 808 Posts
    • 4,143 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    Good idea not to run, pushing yourself could turn a niggle into an injury so best to rest it for a day or two.

I haven't seen this new MOT for diesels you mentioned, my car is a diesel, I've only had it 2 years and didn't plan on changing it any time soon but I may have to do some research on that. I was hoping that by the time I buy my next car electric cars will be a little more advanced and hopefully a little cheaper!
    Debt free by Christmas 2018 #004: 2565.82/7445.69
    2018 in 2018 #25: 674.21/2018
    SPC 586
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 7th Feb 18, 3:04 PM
    • 8,623 Posts
    • 45,406 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Good idea not to run, pushing yourself could turn a niggle into an injury so best to rest it for a day or two.

I haven't seen this new MOT for diesels you mentioned, my car is a diesel, I've only had it 2 years and didn't plan on changing it any time soon but I may have to do some research on that. I was hoping that by the time I buy my next car electric cars will be a little more advanced and hopefully a little cheaper!
    Originally posted by DebtFreeDuo
    Some info on the new MoT Test thing HERE DFD - the thing of most concern for my car is the "any visible smoke" thing - she never kicks out black or blue smoke at all but I do apparently get a small puff of white on starting - this is relating to the injectors beginning to show their age. From what I'd read though it seems entirely down to the tester's view on whether there is smoke or not, and how much of it is "any visible". Electric cars will have to be a LOT more advanced before they will be of any use to us at all on on the sort of mileage and longer drives we both do, plus taking cars to funny little islands where charging points aren't exactly plentiful... Oh well - we'll see, a chat with the garage might be in order I think.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 7th Feb 18, 3:22 PM
    • 6,266 Posts
    • 12,468 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    I am a bit narked too EH on the way the government and other official bodies chops and changes its mind as to whether petrol or diesel cars are better for the environment. We changed both our cars for diesels a few years ago and were under the mistaken impression that because there is no car tax due on either of them they must be low in emissions. When we went with our daughter to replace her petrol car at the end of last year the advice then was to go for petrol due to the new MOT tests.

Personally I cannot see electric cars taking off for many years yet as no infrastructure although I note in my local city park and ride there are now electric charging pods for cars. Surely if we all swap to electric cars that puts an enormous strain on our electricity grid or am I missing something?
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 7th Feb 18, 3:30 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 26,303 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I hope you can sort out your car issue EH. Your financial planning sounds very sensible.

It's great news that most of the old diaries are back isn't it? All that nagging must have paid off .
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = 58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Then save up for repairs to the house.
    Emergency Fund 1 = 281.59/Emergency Fund 2 = 41.81/Loss of Income Fund 0
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 7th Feb 18, 3:32 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 26,303 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Originally posted by rtandon27
    Olives are an acquired taste as I've recently taught myself to like them and I'm not getting any younger .
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Then save up for repairs to the house.
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 7th Feb 18, 3:36 PM
    • 1,685 Posts
    • 10,005 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    The car thing is very annoying , wish the government would make its mind up .

It is best to rest your hip if you want to run on the weekend . Maybe a few stretches might help, not an expert but thinking of the exercises my mum did when she got a new hip.

Olives are orrible !

Thank in helping get diaries back .
    CC1 3655 April 2018.
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 7th Feb 18, 5:16 PM
    • 808 Posts
    • 4,143 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    Thank you for the link EH, I'm not sure how I feel about the new MOT test, whilst it isn't likely to affect me in the next few years it will eventually. The value of my car will also decrease dramatically. Oh well, it just looks like I will be keeping it until it is no longer possible to drive the thing, either that or wait until the repair bills become extortionate and it works out cheaper to replace. Its a good job I like it!
    Debt free by Christmas 2018 #004: 2565.82/7445.69
    2018 in 2018 #25: 674.21/2018
    SPC 586
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Feb 18, 5:39 PM
    • 52,929 Posts
    • 208,316 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sorry to be dim but but what is MSE's budget brain.

WE just need SA's diary back now.

***Keep plodding***
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 7th Feb 18, 6:25 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 26,303 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Sorry to be dim but but what is MSE's budget brain.

WE just need SA's diary back now.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Yes I was looking for SA's old diary but couldn't find it . Also Wannabe's under her old user name .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

102Posts Today

1,357Users online

Martin's Twitter