Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 28th Oct 16, 12:08 PM
    • 8,717Posts
    • 45,964Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    EH - Essex > Hebrides...facilitating the next step of the adventure?
    • 28th Oct 16, 12:08 PM
    EH - Essex > Hebrides...facilitating the next step of the adventure? 28th Oct 16 at 12:08 PM
    Well well - here we are again then, new diary as threatened promised - the previous one can be found HERE - there are others too - if I can be bothered to go find them I'll add in some links, otherwise feel free to go stalking if you should wish to!

Previous diary to the previous one mentioned above...
    ..and the previous one to that, too...

So, I've been here a while (since 2008, in fact) and can't ever imagine quite managing to leave entirely now. I've made some seriously good friends thanks to this place (Stripes, Cheery, I'm looking at you ladies!) - and for that reason alone I'll hang about like a bad smell for as long as they'll have me. A brief summary of "me" - too short to reach anything interesting, Londoner (full of resentment due to being forced out when we wanted to buy somewhere to live - damned incomers and property prices!) currently living in Essex with MrEH. The username is Essex = for where we are currently, and Hebridean = representing the fact that the long term plan is to move to the ludicrously far-flung but ridiculously beautiful islands off the west coast of Scotland. (as and when the move happens I shall be requesting a change of name to LondonHebridean so nobody even THINK about taking that one, OK?)

Started on here with a loan and a tenuous grasp on our money, plus a mortgage. Budgeting happened. An emergency fund was built. We discovered we liked the challenge of teaching financial institutions a lesson. The loan was kicked into touch first off, and then we started the onslaught on the mortgage. Various adventures along the way including losing half my income practically overnight and a 6 year experiment with being self-employed, all good fun. We waved a cheerful goodbye to the mortgage on 30th September this year - paying it off over 12 years early and according to MrEH's clever spreadsheet saving ourselves around £35k in interest had we left it to run to term. Go us, eh?

So - this is the next chapter, really. While debt free (and that seems amazing) we want to:

a) Stay that way
    b) Build a savings pot - firstly to ensure that we can at the least put down a chunky deposit against a future "Islandy" dwelling, and secondly to assist with a lifestyle which is less work and more full when we get there.
    c) Do up our existing flat to make it into a fab place for us to live while we're still here, and a desirable rental for when we're not.
    d) Have fun. Lots of it.

There will be food, regular lunatic visitors (that's this thread, not at home, although sometimes at home too), a reluctance to wield hairbrushes, some Little Red Jets, and hopefully some laughs along the way. Want to join me for the ride? Well I'd be delighted - grab a chair!!
    Last edited by EssexHebridean; 17-11-2017 at 6:58 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£982.19 (04/06/18)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
Page 48
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 30th Jan 18, 9:35 PM
    • 55,005 Posts
    • 219,591 Thanks
    beanielou
    EH~~You are a star on the exercising every day
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 30th Jan 18, 9:51 PM
    • 1,612 Posts
    • 14,072 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Glad the MOT went well

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 30th Jan 18, 10:17 PM
    • 3,498 Posts
    • 9,345 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Ahhh Cumbria I'm so sad on behalf of you guys who've lost your diaries - and if I'm honest quite angry too - when WF's first diary went due to the same sort of attack I raised the question of it being malicious at the time and was subsequently told no, it wasn't, it was just accidental. If only it had been taken seriously when it was first mentioned! I'll certainly be crossing my fingers that yours can be recovered along with all the others that have gone.
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    Apologies, I seem to have missed something here - what has happened with diaries? I will go and look for a relevant thread but if things are disappearing or contested then that may not solve the issue!

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 3.3% ...
    Campervan loan progress 0%

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 30th Jan 18, 10:22 PM
    • 3,498 Posts
    • 9,345 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Apologies, I seem to have missed something here - what has happened with diaries? I will go and look for a relevant thread but if things are disappearing or contested then that may not solve the issue!

Rosa xx
    Originally posted by RosaBernicia
    OK have now read your thread from today, thank you

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 3.3% ...
    Campervan loan progress 0%

• EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 31st Jan 18, 11:33 AM
    • 8,717 Posts
    • 45,964 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Payday!

All money shuffling is done and the accounts have been rounded down into the VSP as well.

I have enough in my purse to cover the gym tonight and no plans for the rest of the week now although I will be working 5 days this week as I suddenly realised that being off next Monday suits me better this time round than the Friday...all agreed with the office so all good there. Also nothing much planned for the weekend although I would like to go and run the flatter of our fairly local parkruns on Saturday morning - MrEH's rugby match has been called off by the opposition so they are trying to get a friendly now - probably will bearing in mind there's a few days notice. I doubt I'll go for there match but might head along there afterwards to watch the 6 nations game on the TV and have some drinks with the guys.

Meals for the rest of this week then:
    - salad using some of our lovely Hebridean smoked salmon
    - pasta, veggie, bacon & cheese bake - sort of a macaroni cheese but with lots of other bits thrown in. Always yummy and throwing the extra veg in means nothing else is needed alongside.
    - Need to think about Friday night - I normally go takeaway on Friday's I've worked during the day but reluctant to do this right at the start of Frugal February! Might end up as a fry-up as I have most stuff for that in already actually.

Need to work out when I'm going to Al's and also when/where I'm doing the rest of the shopping. Thing we're due a Super 6 change this week aren't we?

Also need to work out a proper plan for Frugal February including a slightly longer term meal plan I think!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 31st Jan 18, 1:22 PM
    • 8,717 Posts
    • 45,964 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    I've bitten the bullet and copied my thread. :-)
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 31st Jan 18, 3:55 PM
    • 680 Posts
    • 2,459 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    I've bitten the bullet and copied my thread. :-)
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    I did mine too. Luckily I only had 14 pages to save, it must have taken you ages?
    Current Weight Loss: 2/ 96
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 1st Feb 18, 3:28 PM
    • 8,717 Posts
    • 45,964 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    I did mine too. Luckily I only had 14 pages to save, it must have taken you ages?
    Originally posted by MistyMountainTop
    Took a little while! Plenty with more to do than me though.

Starting with my Frugal February month then and I'm targetting food & shopping first. Got a blog post ready to go for tomorrow.

OK S6 this week is fruit - I'll definitely get soft citrus from there, and might well get the plums and blueberries as well. MrEH may well put in a request for pears as well, depends whether he thinks he can get them to work without them getting bashed about.
    Lil's has decently priced Leeks on PotW so I'll probably pop in and grab those - maybe saturday morning as the parkrun I'm hoping to do is not far from a Lils.

- I've got a pasta bake ready to go tonight - just needs cheese & breadcrumbs on the top and popping in the oven as soon as I get home. (Might blast it in the microwave first actually to reduce the "heating through" time.)
    - Definitely planning a fry-up for tomorrow night - relatively straightforward and will make use of some odds and ends from the freezer, as well as some of the bacon and the last of the eggs.
    - Saturday tea will almost certainly be cheese and biscuits.
    - Sunday needs thought but *might* be stew & dumplings.
    I have a list of meals to dip into for the next few weeks, and lots of stuff in the freezer to facilitate that. over the weekend I need to batch-cook some beans ideally and freeze in portions or try to freeze them free-flow.

Further weeks focusing for Frugal Feb blog posts need working out - I'm currently thinking along the lines of:
    - A review of utilities & household bills
    - Mindful spending/not spending inc NSD's
    - Looking ahead and future planning
    If anyone has any other ideas or indeed stuff they'd like to see me cover though shout up.

Current standing:
    Purse has £5 in it - all in coins.
    I'll withdraw £30 tomorrow or Saturday for my personal money.
    **Need to check how much food money is on the side at home but at least £5 I think**
    NSD planned for today.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 1st Feb 18, 3:50 PM
    • 1,612 Posts
    • 14,072 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Looking very organised

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 1st Feb 18, 3:56 PM
    • 55,005 Posts
    • 219,591 Thanks
    beanielou
    I have asked someone to get me 5 packs of blueberries from Aldi!

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 1st Feb 18, 10:20 PM
    • 8,717 Posts
    • 45,964 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    I have asked someone to get me 5 packs of blueberries from Aldi!
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Glad to have been of service!

Pasta bake got a good covering of breadcrumbs and a mix of parmesan and cheddar before being shoved into the top oven and it was flipping delish! Really tasty and I reckon that will get repeated. Stuff is out for a fry up tomorrow night too and that's made a bit iof apce in the freezer.

A new habit we've started this month - our lunches are sometimes rolls, but sometimes we just make a loaf which then does us two days, with an end left over. MrEH is now slicing the remaining end immediately he's made the second days sarnies and shoving that straight into the freezer so there is bread for toast when we want it. Makes perfect sense and lord knows why we've never thought of it before!

£7.50 in food money on the shelf - just checked - So that will cover the oddments on top of the main shop easily enough. Current thinking is:
    Als: 2 x Blueberries, 1 x plums, 1 x citrus
    Lils: 2 x Leeks
    Then I think I'll stick with T's for the rest, as much as anything else for ease.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 2nd Feb 18, 1:21 PM
    • 8,717 Posts
    • 45,964 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Just had a very worthwhile nip in to Prolific - two studies - 1 for £1 for 3 minutes, the other also £1, slightly more time consuming (but only about 5 - 6 minutes) and turned out to come with a £4 bonus by the look of it! Hopefully that will pay out OK. Currently sitting at £2.10 Payable and £2 pending on there anyway. I'd like to see if I could get that to the £10 level by next Thursday.

I have a feeling I have some TCB still needing paid out so need to pop and check.
    Secret Survey site has £3 on it which I'll cash out next week probably.

Today there is such a thing as a free lunch as the office are providing toastie ingredients and nice crisps. Life is good (and it's nearly worth working a Friday!)
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Silver Queen
    • By Silver Queen 2nd Feb 18, 1:48 PM
    • 391 Posts
    • 1,883 Thanks
    Silver Queen
    Free lunch is definitely the best lunch
    Debt Totals June 2018::
    £350 Natwest Credit Card / Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £10,000 £500 train ticket loan from parents / Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18) £2,000 Overdraft Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18)
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 2nd Feb 18, 9:04 PM
    • 1,774 Posts
    • 10,728 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Hurrah for free food. Although its always carbs. Doesn't anybody think about the faddy weirdos waily, waily, waily? I got to watch people eating free pizza yesterday while I forced myself to eat my fibro friendly cashews and sultanas like a sensible person.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 2nd Feb 18, 9:06 PM
    • 55,005 Posts
    • 219,591 Thanks
    beanielou
    Free lunch sounds good

***Keep plodding***
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 3rd Feb 18, 9:55 PM
    • 8,717 Posts
    • 45,964 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Hurrah for free food. Although its always carbs. Doesn't anybody think about the faddy weirdos waily, waily, waily? I got to watch people eating free pizza yesterday while I forced myself to eat my fibro friendly cashews and sultanas like a sensible person.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Awww! Our office is somewhat easier - yesterday there were two of us to discuss and agree, and other than me not doing much chilli & being allergic to S&V crisps, and the other one not doing cooked egg, the world was pretty much our oyster!

There was then a bit of further free food too as I was told to take home the pepperami that had been bought for the toasties as it was going in the bin otherwise!

Shopping done today as planned - just under £26 spent total - £7.50 cash, balance on the card via the Pay+ app.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 4th Feb 18, 4:16 PM
    • 1,612 Posts
    • 14,072 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Hope you've had a lovely weekend EH x
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 6th Feb 18, 1:13 PM
    • 8,717 Posts
    • 45,964 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Weekend was good thanks WF!

Nice day at Scampton yesterday as well with plenty of activity from those whizzy red jets. Took odds and ends of food with me plus a flask for tea, and spent £3.90 on a sausage butty for breakfast and a wrap for lunch so not too bad. Car was pretty much running on fumes by the time I got up there which was handy as diesel is about 4p a litre cheaper there than it is at home. Did cost me £65 to fill the tank mind you!

This weeks' "Frugal February Focus" is thinking about the small stuff - the frittering, and the little savings that it's easy to get into the habit of NOT making. So it's all about watching the spends, not buying stuff we don't need etc. Food is all under control for the week - usually I'd pop to the Turkish Supermarket for flatbreads but I've got yogurt and flour at home so I'll make them instead. Not something I'll do every time but I do love the HM ones as well! Was tempted to stop on the way home last night for a bar of chocolate but resisted, and popped to Asda for my sandwich yesterday rather than just grabbing something in the more expensive Petrol Station shop. Need to focus on the stuff that needs using up from the fridge too - I know there are carrots, but a fair bit of stuff went into the double batch of cottage pie I made on Sunday.

Meals for the week:
    - Smoked Mackerel Salad
    - Cottage pie
    - Couscous with halloumi
    - Indian "Home made takeaway" so curry, dhal, rice etc.
    I have Naans in the freezer and will make a bigger than needed batch of dhal so the balance can go in the freezer. Need to decide which curry and add anything that's needed for it on to the shopping list for Friday. Might double-cook that as well to give us a meal for a future week stashed away.

Planned spends for the rest of this week:
    - Gym (probably Thursday night - £7)
    - Might go for a swim Friday morning - if so that will be £4.40 I think
    - Race Entry for a 5k next week - £18 (Just paid this)
    - Shopping will take place on Friday but will be PLANNED!

Quite excited about doing a proper timed 5k!

I've put through a PPI reclaim under Plevin through the MSE Resolver tool. No idea if I'll get anything but the card was an Egg CC which seems to be quite a high success rate one so we'll see.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 6th Feb 18, 1:23 PM
    • 1,612 Posts
    • 14,072 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    You're meals always sound amazing!

Glad you had a lovely weekend

x
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Feb 18, 3:27 PM
    • 55,005 Posts
    • 219,591 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad you had a good weekend

***Keep plodding***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

25Posts Today

3,901Users online

Martin's Twitter