Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scooby2016
    • By scooby2016 27th Oct 16, 7:25 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    scooby2016
    i have been banned from tesco
    • 27th Oct 16, 7:25 PM
    i have been banned from tesco 27th Oct 16 at 7:25 PM
    hi i would just like a bit of advice please i will try to make a long story shortish going back to either two years could be a bit less i was with my husband in tesco shopping when he thought he would do something clever not as well as food essentials he decided he would put reduced stickers over the already reduced items he had picked up i decided to go sit in the car while he paid after a long while a supervisor who i know came out and said he was in the office i stayed in the car naturally he had been caught well police called ordered to pay 70 pound fine and banned well he said his fault what i am getting to is i kept going into tesco shopping over the months either on my own or with any of my three boys we hadnt told them about what had happened everything was fine until monday gone my 12 yr old wanted a dvd so my husband parked in carpark while we went in my 18 yr old was with us i had told him what had happened but not to mention anything well we were in tesco with shopping basket picking up couple of bits son got dvd but i noticed it was two pounds dearer than it should be we walked towards the manager who was a few feet away when i asked him to chech price but then he said i want a word with you he said i have just been told you have been banned for over 12 months i told him no he said i could pay for my goods and i told him to go look it up he said ok but he could not have had time to look my son went outside upset because he knew nothing about it i went up to the woman who had told the manager i was banned and asked her why say that she told me my husband was told both of us were banned first i heard but i have been going in for months walking past these people and all of a sudden this happens in front of customers and staff some of who were grinning can they do this to me without notice
Page 5
    • soolin
    • By soolin 9th Jun 19, 8:31 PM
    • 62,717 Posts
    • 45,136 Thanks
    soolin
    But he paid for the 3 year argument.
    Originally posted by robatwork
    Oh no he didn't
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • SPOWER
    • By SPOWER 9th Jun 19, 8:56 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    SPOWER
    It is fours walls and a roof. There are plenty of other shops. Who cares about this silly thread from 3 years ago. It should be closed down.
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 9th Jun 19, 11:14 PM
    • 2,928 Posts
    • 2,623 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    Personally, I find a wall of text off-putting.
    it's a common complaint on the fora I post on.
    Originally posted by Pollycat

And I agree - it's very difficult to read.

But I don't appreciate the grammar pedants pointing out "errors" like you can't start a sentence with "but" or "and".

PS - shouldn't that be "...on the fora in which I post"?

Although I suppose Paul McCartney and Wings would sing "...on the fora in which I post in".
    Last edited by Manxman in exile; 09-06-2019 at 11:17 PM.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 10th Jun 19, 7:28 AM
    • 4,165 Posts
    • 5,572 Thanks
    unforeseen
    If you are using 'in which I post' then should it not also be 'in the fora'?
    • Hermione Granger
    • By Hermione Granger 10th Jun 19, 8:02 AM
    • 1,123 Posts
    • 1,842 Thanks
    Hermione Granger
    It is fours walls and a roof. There are plenty of other shops. Who cares about this silly thread from 3 years ago. It should be closed down.
    Originally posted by SPOWER
    Well, you obviously do otherwise why post and offer your opinion?
    • Paul_DNAP
    • By Paul_DNAP 10th Jun 19, 10:51 AM
    • 683 Posts
    • 835 Thanks
    Paul_DNAP
    Originally posted by unforeseen

No, although the plural of the Latin Forum is Fora, the term "Internet forum" is not considered to be of Latin origin and is given the plural "Internet Forums" according to English grammar rules.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 10th Jun 19, 2:17 PM
    • 2,928 Posts
    • 2,623 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    Originally posted by unforeseen

Yes. But I didn't want to seem like a grammar Nazi.
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 10th Jun 19, 2:19 PM
    • 2,928 Posts
    • 2,623 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    No, although the plural of the Latin Forum is Fora, the term "Internet forum" is not considered to be of Latin origin and is given the plural "Internet Forums" according to English grammar rules.
    Originally posted by Paul_DNAP

I thought that too, but didn't want others on here to shun me as a know-all.
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 10th Jun 19, 2:22 PM
    • 2,928 Posts
    • 2,623 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    Just to confirm, my previous two posts were intended to be light hearted and not criticism of any earlier posters.
    • Tallaght
    • By Tallaght 11th Jun 19, 2:26 PM
    • 1,154 Posts
    • 945 Thanks
    Tallaght
    At the end of the day it is simple fraud.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th Jun 19, 7:17 AM
    • 23,678 Posts
    • 63,866 Thanks
    Pollycat
    What a bizarre turn this thread has taken over the last dozen or so posts.

Can't a board guide lock this thread?
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 12th Jun 19, 9:58 AM
    • 17,742 Posts
    • 13,856 Thanks
    hollydays
    Hormone person. Nobody is listening. Nobody. Also change your username. I yawned off.
    Originally posted by SPOWER
    Er...what are you talking about ....
    • Moglex
    • By Moglex 12th Jun 19, 11:28 AM
    • 1,438 Posts
    • 1,007 Thanks
    Moglex
    Originally posted by Paul_DNAP
    I'd be interested to know on what authority " "Internet forum" is not considered to be of Latin origin ", since that would appear to be saying that the word 'forum' which means almost exactly the same as it does in Latin was chosen at random.
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 12th Jun 19, 12:56 PM
    • 2,928 Posts
    • 2,623 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    I'd be interested to know on what authority " "Internet forum" is not considered to be of Latin origin ", since that would appear to be saying that the word 'forum' which means almost exactly the same as it does in Latin was chosen at random.
    Originally posted by Moglex

I think he means that when it's used in English as an appropriation from Latin, the plural is anglicised.

Like football stadium. I'd be very suspicious of anyone who referred to football stadia and not stadiums.

Also census - don't think I've ever heard anybody say "censii". Mind you easier than saying "censuseseseseseses". How do you know when to stop?
    Last edited by Manxman in exile; 12-06-2019 at 12:59 PM. Reason: fine tuning joke
    • Paul_DNAP
    • By Paul_DNAP 12th Jun 19, 3:06 PM
    • 683 Posts
    • 835 Thanks
    Paul_DNAP
    Originally posted by Moglex

Yes. That is exactly what it is. The modern English word "Forum" has exactly the same spelling and mostly the same meaning as the Latin word "Forum" it was adopted from.

On what authority? Every dictionary and language resource I've checked, but none you'd be able to call an "authority" as, unlike the French, there isn't a single authority that controls and prescribes how the language is to be used, the English dictionaries and grammar rules describe how the language IS used. So I guess saying "by a consensus of how the word is used, it is generally agreed that the modern usage of the word follows modern English rules" is as close to an answer on "by what authority" as you'll ever get.

The Latin plural "fora" is almost only used when talking about public squares in Ancient Roman cities.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • archived user
    Go to ASDA.. it's impossible to get banned from there! It's full of unwashed scruffs wandering around in their PJs or giant giraffe onesies.
    • Omywordno1
    • By Omywordno1 14th Jun 19, 9:07 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Omywordno1
    Is Tesco policy to ban from one to be banned from all if not go to another one?.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 15th Jun 19, 4:26 PM
    • 2,843 Posts
    • 3,829 Thanks
    Robisere
    Husband is a thief and a fraudster.

Wife is an accessory.

Tesco is the victim.

Wife is looking for sympathy and advice? - Here's some: don't steal, don't be an accessory.

I'm all out of sympathy for thieves.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 15th Jun 19, 6:41 PM
    • 35,108 Posts
    • 22,181 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Is Tesco policy to ban from one to be banned from all if not go to another one?.
    Originally posted by Omywordno1

You do realise the OP is long gone.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 15th Jun 19, 6:55 PM
    • 35,108 Posts
    • 22,181 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Was worth a read just like this 1 https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2144589&highlight=magnets

and this 1

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3273096&highlight=magnets
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

149Posts Today

1,230Users online

Martin's Twitter