Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    • 4,381Posts
    • 49,385Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes
    • 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes 27th Oct 16 at 9:11 AM
    Hello

I think that the time may be right to start a new diary. So much has changed since I started my 2nd diary, which can be found HERE and we're a whole lifetime away from my first diary, which can be found HERE

Whilst my first 2 diaries concentrated on living a simple life, concentrating on debt-avoidance for my (then) DP and I, we had a 'bit' of a tumultuous 2015, which meant that my DP became my DH and we 'Two' became 3, with the safe arrival of Baby Greying

Our focus has changed dramatically. Far from contemplating 'downsizing' (a bit of a misnomer in terms of our house, honestly, I've been in bigger 'flats'! ) and somehow achieving early retirement; we now have a future focus that needs us to be super fit and active for as long as we can be. Also, as older first time parents, we are both committed to try to be in Baby Greying's life for as long as possible, without being a burden. Because whilst being older does have some distinct advantages when applied to parenting, there is no denying there's a downside too..............

Also, the economic climate is changing once again. Blame it on whatever you like, but there is always some reason why prices of x, y or z rise. There is always a reason why, when you find a way to combat inflation; someone comes along and changes the rules of the game. A good example of this is our wood burner. When we had it installed, we had access to a goodly amount of free wood, we both had the time and energy to process it and we could live with parts of the house being cold. Forward 10 years; more people have stoves - and are all chasing that 'free' wood, 'purchased' logs are now very expensive around here and we've no time to stack nor chop wood. It's become easier, and 'as expensive' to flick the on switch for the central heating....... a cleaner in-house option, that can keep the whole house a manageable temperature and Baby Greying at a safe and comfortable temperature.

Now it does matter if our hair-brained money saving wheezes make our teeth fall out or our toes freeze orf, because it impacts on our ability to look after Baby Greying in the now and in the future. Our health and well-being is a priority - but still not at any price. We want to have it all,;but with only a modest budget available, we're gonna have to get creative. I rarely shop in the 'big 4' supermercados. We purchase some things from mrL, some from mrAl. A smattering from mrW, mrT and m&$ (bananas mostly), with h0me bargins and h3ron f00ds being the sources of our regular shopping. We also have access to a food co-operative and I occasionally get to go to the next city along to get bulk purchases of pulses and spices.

Our focus now (that we've got over the shock of Baby Greying ) is to move on from Greying Towers. The long and short of it boils down to it not being the right environment for us to bring up a child here. There are nicer places. We need to find them. So a move is on the cards. However, some renovation of the towers is necessary, and whilst funding has always been an issue; now we have the added upheaval of trying to do work around a baby. Not impossible, but not ideal. It's also still proving impossible to find reliable tradespeople. We're looking for a plumber, again

The one thing that I've come to recognise with age is that there is always 'good stuff' in every life. Even when you're really going through the mill. There are good people, who say or do good things to help you. There are the wonders of nature to take in at every turn. There is humour everywhere, even if you have to look under a few rocks to find it. It is important to be thankful, even on the dark days. And I try to do that - and find writing it down, in my online diary a good exercise in stopping. And thinking.

We like food at Greying Towers. I write about it alot. I take pictures of me tea. We're vegetarian (at present) and so vegetables feature. Alot. When it's gifted HG produce, it's even better

So, do you fancy climbing aboard for the new adventure. Taking some time out to Fall apart in my backyard with Me, DH and BG?

Greying X
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 29-10-2016 at 8:24 AM.
    'Ich habe genug' 'Your Vibe attracts your Tribe'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
Page 141
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 30th Jul 18, 7:04 AM
    • 4,381 Posts
    • 49,385 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

WannabeFree - it was a bit quiet, but a nice weekend, none the less.

So a busy week ahead. Some practical, pedestrian stuff and some adventurising with a chum

The budget has been spent, so other than bread/milk essentials (actually think we're OK for milk - sure there is a new carton in the fridge) we're on purse 'lock-down' until the new month.

Apparently MSE Badger informs me I've been wittering on, on the forum for 8 years. 8 Years! Gee, I waffle on........

Tea on Saturday night was curry. I made courgette dalcha with the last of the gifted courgettes. It works well with either yellow or green courgettes, and there is some left over for another day I used the l/o made-up black-eye bean curry from last week, shoving a bit of coconut milk and chopped coriander into it, to 'ring the changes'

Tea last night was cardboard box fish & oven chips. I think we had different filets from different shops. I think mine was mrL, DH's was mrA and BG had fish fingers! I think I prefer mrL fish filets (breadcrumbed) over the same offering from mrA. Seem to actually have a bit more fish flesh in them......... I bulked out with plate with salads; cucumber salad for freshness, as I have no lemons, the 'ubiquitous' (now) beetroot and apple salad, a spoonful of left over salade nebbe (black bean salad) and some lettuce leaves. Filled and gap and was nice to munch.

Tea for the next 2 days will be whatever the hickey I can scrape together in time

Can't think of owt else, eye-wateringly to wiffle on about, so best vamoose, I guess.

Ta for popping in. Appreciated.

Greying X

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 30th Jul 18, 11:01 AM
    • 2,289 Posts
    • 14,653 Thanks
    rtandon27
    ...Just reverting to a new schedule here at the towers, so it's taking a bit of adjustment on all sides But thus far working out ...
    Originally posted by Greying Pilgrim
    Always a challenge when schedules change! Glad to hear you are all well. xox
    1 YEAR & 11 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Working hard to keep all the balls in the air and juggle the budget!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 30th Jul 18, 11:17 AM
    • 8,307 Posts
    • 41,525 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Congratulations on waffling for 8 years! An excellent achievement
    Mortgage over payments since Feb 2018 = 558.25
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 30th Jul 18, 2:07 PM
    • 57,478 Posts
    • 235,437 Thanks
    beanielou
    Yah for MSE Badger
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 1st Aug 18, 8:44 PM
    • 4,381 Posts
    • 49,385 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening

All well?

I've had a very long, but very enjoyable day today. I have been treated to such kindnesses - one of which was just being listened to

I had meant to shoe-horn in a bit of grocery shopping today, but either I wasn't organised enough this morning, or someone, somewhere stole a whole hour, this morning! Darstedly fiends!

Thankfully, tea was inspired by something that I had for my lunch, and made good use of some lovely gifted produce that we received. I had pesto in my lunch - something that I've not had for yonks. Today we were gifted some lovely, new season runner beans, a courgette and some lovely fresh, garden grown herbage. So I cooked pasta, made pesto (sunflower seed, walnuts, basil, avocado oil, s&p, and nutritional yeast), then incorporated sauted courgette, onion and garlic with chopped, steamed runner beans and some diced fresh tomato. Mixed it all together, and 'voila' summer vegetable pasta Made use of what I had, used the veg and some of the herbs at their absolute freshest, and honoured the gifts - given so freely - by a couple of chums It was nice warm, and there is a lunch-size portion leftover for tomorrow, that would appear to taste very nice cold............

And we didn't need to bother a take-away joint

Dunno what we'll eat tomorrow, mind

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

BG being (for the most-part) well behaved

kindness

good conversation

Greying X

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 1st Aug 18, 9:04 PM
    • 57,478 Posts
    • 235,437 Thanks
    beanielou
    Tea sounds yummy

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 1st Aug 18, 10:10 PM
    • 5,279 Posts
    • 31,158 Thanks
    in need of direction
    sounds like a truly lovely day
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 119,481.83 today 74,121.52, target 65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today 307.27 target 5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund 860/5.5k & 200/200 cash.
    Weight 8 July 14st 4lb
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 2nd Aug 18, 8:56 AM
    • 4,381 Posts
    • 49,385 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

sounds like a truly lovely day
    Originally posted by in need of direction

It was indeedy inod, t'was luverly And I am so glad that I have been able to make new friends in the recent past couple of years or so. I know we've talked extensively about 'lifetime, reason, season' friendships, but my old-er chumships had petered out. I really only have contact with one 'old-er' chum now, and that is on a wobbly footing. So to be able to make new frienships with interesting, intelligent (in the broadest and deepest interpretation of the word), creative, talented people - who also do caring, compassion and hugs to the best best available standards..... well, I'm one blessed woman, that's fer sure

beanie - I am kicking myself for not planning better yesterday. I went to a local-ish market town, where there is an active (and well organised) foodbank. And I took nothing I only thought about it, as I was going home, and passed the shuttered shop - but then in looking up something else last night, found they were crying out for donations, as they are supplying families that are struggling in the summer holidays because free-school meals aren't available. There were other places that could have accepted my donations, so I'm mad at meself. The only saving grace is that the summer hols is loooonnnggg and I will have the opportunity to visit there again, and can be better prepared, and make sure I take stuff that is on the 'most wanted' summer list. I realise the politics that surround 'lack' and I'm not going to get into that - I watched BG scoff their 'lunchy' yesterday, and couldn't imagine them going hungry either on my watch, nor the states. I can afford to get a few items that hopefully, through good marshalling, will reach a child in need. I can't, however, afford to be complacent, as at anytime, that person requiring help could be me or BG and all that is important is that the help is there and that I've contributed whilst I can.

I must change a dental appt today. I'm in time, so can change without penalty, but it was made prior to schedule changes here at the towers, so it's no longer of any use to us.

I've got to shoe-horn some shopping in, or get very very creative with what is left in the cupboards......... I need to go shopping!

I need to tidy up. The place has got messy again

Right, can't think of owt else so best shuffle orf.

Greying X

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 2nd Aug 18, 9:53 AM
    • 57,478 Posts
    • 235,437 Thanks
    beanielou
    As you say the school holidays are long but please dont fret.
    You can only do what you can when you can.

***Keep plodding***
    • starnac
    • By starnac 2nd Aug 18, 10:05 AM
    • 5,344 Posts
    • 25,211 Thanks
    starnac
    Sounds like you've had a lovely few days. Good friends are indeed important and can change a day for the better without even knowing sometimes.

Thank you for the reminder Greying. I have a bag here with food for the foodbank that I keep meaning to take to church for our collection box. It's been sat there a while now
    Savings 2235.59
    Overpayments #182 made 467.13/1208.15
    Make 2018 in 2018 #70 688.42/2018
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 3rd Aug 18, 4:19 PM
    • 4,381 Posts
    • 49,385 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Afternoon

I was beginning to think I definitely was a 'woman of a certain age' today, as I seem to have spent all time thus far persistently perspiring buckets! But then a delivery chap, commented on 'how muggy it is', so i felt a bit better, and determined, 'it wasn't just me'.........

BG is having a snoozette - having fallen asleep in their lunchy....... They'll be waking up just now, so best get a wiggle on.

Bargains in mrA today included 4 punnets of mushrooms, YS'd to 20p each. They will adorn our pizza tonight and go into our curry tomorrow night

I received a really nice 'thank you' note today. Quite, quite made my day.

We took delivery of some DIY items, only to find that the main item was missing. Seems to have been a breakdown in communication, because it was ordered correctly. Hopeful that something can be sorted out on Monday, as it has delayed the start of the next phase of 'operation update' at the towers. A tradesperson has been terribly understanding and accommodating. I hope we can sort something out - can't expect them to wait on us for ever.......

In trying to move some of the - frankly huge - pieces of board to somewhere in the house where we wouldn't trip over them, I have succeeded in damaging walls that we recently had plastered and DH spent forever painting........ DH has been told, but think I am in the dog-house Very kind delivery man helped me to get the boards moved eventually, but..........

Tea tonight is mushroom pizza and l/o oven chips out of the freezer. Although it is too hot to have the oven on

We've had the car insurance renewal through and our current company have put the premium up 1.20. So I think we'll stick with them for another year - particularly following the fandango with 'no cash-back' on the house insurance.

Right, best vamoose.

Ta for popping in.

Greying X

• rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 4th Aug 18, 8:15 PM
    • 2,289 Posts
    • 14,653 Thanks
    rtandon27
    ...Bargains in mrA today included 4 punnets of mushrooms, YS'd to 20p each. They will adorn our pizza tonight and go into our curry tomorrow night ...
    Originally posted by Greying Pilgrim
    Great bargains GP! Love a good YS bargain!

We managed a few packages of fancy bread rolls at 20p each - and since we've eaten down 1/2 the freezer stores, there was just enough room for 2 of the 3 packs. Ate the other ones for dinner last night with fixings to make fake McChook'ish' burgers - cheap easy meal - with lots of salady bits. Too hot for anything that took longer then 12 minutes!

In other food adventure news - Today was leftovers - a bit of this and a bit of that from the fridge to fill the plates - and no waste!

Tomorrow, a one pot stove top biryani to use up tomatoes, carrots, green beans & cauliflower - lovely seasonal fresh veg. Have discovered that OH actually likes brown rice?!? (will wonders never cease) - so will mix half-half with white.

That is as exciting as our weekends get.
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 5th Aug 18, 8:07 AM
    • 4,381 Posts
    • 49,385 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

rtandon - I love that you always make the very best use of what you have and what you can get. I was thinking about you last night - and I think it is you that always seems to be able to get really got YS'd priced lemongrass. I was flicking through my curry recipes and my eyes fell on a thai green mushroom curry, and I was lamenting that I currently have no lemongrass in the freezer - YS'd or otherwise. I've kinda given up on our local waitr0s3 - and they are the only place that I go that I could find YS'd lemongrass occasionally. They're apt to only knock tuppence off stuff, and the staff aren't very nice to deal with (the staff at H3ron and HB could show them a thing or two ref pleasant transactions with customers)

So I love mushrooms And having bagged 4 punnets for 80p - could have had more, but didn't want to be greedy and hadn't got enough hands to carry them - I used them all up. No waste! 2 punnets got sliced up with a small onion and loads of garlic on friday night, and were sauted and then put atop our pizza. Luverly, and we ALL tucked in Last night, I went for the obvious choice of prepping the final 2 punnets into a Kodovan Curry, as I had all the ingredients for it. It was teamed with left over courgette dalcha (turned out to be a celebration of the recipes of Madhur Jaffrey! ) and basmati rice.

We have the wherewithal to have cardboard box fish and oven chips for tea tonight, so we'll see what happens. DH is well immersed in doing DIY prep - what he can do is always done 'as well' or better than any trades we ever get in, because he cares about what he's doing and doesn't want to live with eyesores. But it's a muncher of time, no mistake. I do hope that BG is not suffering as a result of all this blessed work, as we've definitely railed back the adventurising on account of cost, but as importantly, time.

DH did some shopping interspersed with visits to 'big box' DIY stores yesterday. He got some cucumbers from mrL's PoTW. I'm not sure I would have bothered with them, on seeing them. They were...... 35? pence, and weren't very big, and one was already 'yellow-ish', and the other wasn't exactly dark, bottle green. So not so much of a 'give-away', Thanks fer nowt, mrL. We will definitely be having cucumber salad asap to use up the rest of the first cucumber (used half in sangers for snap yesterday). I also have frozen vegetables back in the house for the first time in ages

There seems to be a national shortage of 'fr3dd0s' - Cheery can you shed any light on this calamitous situation?? Neither HB nor H3r0n are currently stocking them in our neck of t'woods - WOT is going on!???!!

I've had lots of good news lately, of friends achieving things, getting recognition of their talents; of things I've done being 'of value' to chums; of friends living the life with their children/grandchildren that i sorely hope to achieve with BG. 'Possibility' is in the air It's a nice feeling.

I've been researching what is needed by the food bank for their summer programme. i've decided on a budget in my mind, and spent some time yesterday, seeing how I could get 'best bang' for my buck, without compromising on quality. At the moment, there is nothing on the list - with the exception of tinned meat products, which I've not eaten since being a child - that I haven't eaten, or wouldn't eat, myself. I'm going to set the money aside, and start to gather things together, as the one downside of getting value for money, is that you can't get everything from one store........But I want my donation to be the best that it can be; we're not rich, but perhaps we can add value, and give 'more' (but retain quality) by being savvy.

Right, best go and get some breakfast. BG is with their beloved papa, watching something on TV - a Sunday morning treat, for them both.

Ta for popping by. Appreciated.

Greying X

• rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 5th Aug 18, 10:52 AM
    • 2,289 Posts
    • 14,653 Thanks
    rtandon27
    mmmm - GP that mushroom curry looks lush! - given that it is coconut based, OH might be convinced to give it a try - and since you found that recipe on good old CBC it's got to be a keeper

Saw this article from 2016 & thought of you - inflationary food for thought?!?
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Aug 18, 8:16 PM
    • 57,478 Posts
    • 235,437 Thanks
    beanielou
    Possibility is always good

***Keep plodding***
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 8th Aug 18, 8:42 AM
    • 4,381 Posts
    • 49,385 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

Well, the time is flying.

I'd love to say that all is going swimmingly, and progress is being made........

However,

One word.

Tradespeople...............................

tis funny, we test, test, test our little people. And then we test them some more. We attribute them scores, pit them against unseen, unknown 'peers' in their age group; label them as failures in reports that contain more grammatical and spelling errors than you can shake a stick at. And yet. Once these 'babies' reach the age of consent - by anyone's definition of how old that may be; we no longer worry if they can't perform simplistic tasks like communication, planning and task sequencing. Especially task sequencing.

Yesterday was not a good day.

And the drivetime show on R2 got so bad, even I switched off. I really didn't think that it could get any worse, and then the holiday substitute for Simon was so intent on making 'smart' comments, that they demonstrated that they weren't even listening to what the texter to the show had said, and where they were located.

Did I mention yesterday was not a good day........

At least tea was frugal. We had been gifted some runner beans, so made sri lankan runner bean curry - which I'm sure I got from a newspaper recipe, but I can't find it now, although THIS version is very similar, but I used sri lankan curry powder, which is from R1ck St31ns 'far eastern odyssey' cookbook. Served with basmati rice, and used half a tin of coconut milk, 1slad suN brand, 59p in HB.

I don't know what, and I don't know how, but DH and I have got to take some time out with BG this weekend. We have put so much 'on hold' this summer, in order to make progress with the house. We have done well, but at the cost of family time - well, 'quality' family time - we've been together, at least. But to prioritise 'work' over making memories with BG only to be continually let down by other people is just not on.

Not sure what is for tea tonight, but we'll need to get out and about for a breath of fresh air, and see if we come across any bargains. I shall be picking up a couple of bitsa bobs for our FB donation as well. I've made a plan, and made a start. I'm doing it in sequence , to get best value for money, and make best use of transport availability.

Right, off to shake off yesterday's grump and seize the day today

Greying X

• Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 8th Aug 18, 9:37 AM
    • 8,307 Posts
    • 41,525 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Oh dear Greying, I do feel for you. I know how much Mr Cheery and I put things on hold 'to sort out the house', and how that task just went on and on and on and on to the detriment of all else. We felt SO much better when we downed tools for a day, or took a sneaky weekend off (or even a week or two in one case). It all got done eventually. So difficult when you're being held up or let down (and I agree about inability to communicate etc too - I've still only had ONE quote out of the four people who've been round - and that was so ludicrously out of our league that it would have swallowed up the money we'd put aside for the job AND our entire emergency fund! )

Hope you do manage to put off the grumps and do something cheery today
    Mortgage over payments since Feb 2018 = 558.25
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Aug 18, 10:32 AM
    • 57,478 Posts
    • 235,437 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sorry to hear that.
    Some tradespeople are just so dire.

Talking of the foodbank I was so sad yesterday that we had someone in yesterday with little uns & we had not a sweet in the place. Not even any little people biscuits or any crisps.

***Keep plodding***
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 8th Aug 18, 10:48 AM
    • 2,889 Posts
    • 23,995 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Blimming workmen

I have a friend who is developing a house at the moment and she has just turfed her builders off site. They came across an unforeseen issue and were suggesting she just left it which would have resulted in an unsafe building

Give yourself a little break. It's so stressful having work done in the house. You've done really well so far and all will come right in the end. You just have to ride out the storm.

I find nothing ever goes entirely to plan where building work or DIY is concerned. I suppose that's why it's called a plan and not a certainty

Hugs

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 7% paid Overpayments: 2789.20 Emergency Fund: 75%

Read my work here and here (scroll down for text). Free to read but ratings and reviews very much appreciated.
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 8th Aug 18, 11:21 AM
    • 4,381 Posts
    • 49,385 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Thank you all for your understanding, It does help

Well, we've been out and about to see how far it was, and it was just far enough.

The sun was hot, but not too hot, so it made it a bonny, summery jaunt, rather than a scorchio slog The fresh air and exercise has blown the cobwebs and grumps away too

MrM was our destination, and we got what we needed for the FB donation - (beanie, how sad, as it sounds like your FB is well run/organised and you manage to cover all eventualities the vast majority of the time ) I actually went for a branded product on special offer. I could have got the 'savers' version for 3p a tin less, or bought for 1p less in mrL (bigger tin size by 20g), but decided for a few pennies extra, I'd go for the branded. My cupboards are full of unbranded products and products from the discounters - i'm no slave to brands, and it doesn't matter to me, but know that sometimes it's nice to have labels that aren't covered in SAVE or VALOO or BASIC

I got some avos - hass from s. africa. I resolutely refused to buy the Peruvian ones, which were in the box too - as I've had too many failures now to warrant any more expenditure on them. Fingers crossed the ones I got will be ok. There were 4 in the net for 1.56. I also got some onions, as I'm all out. Not the cheapest, but I needed them, so...... A few other wee pieces and the bill came to over 5. And no bargains fer us tea However, on the way home, we popped into a 'corner shop' and got; a cucumber, 250g of 'large' mushrooms and a lump of broccoli for the grand total of 84p Tea sorted!

Right, a restorative cup of coffee is in order.

Greying X

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

405Posts Today

4,551Users online

Martin's Twitter