Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    • 4,391Posts
    • 49,496Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes
    • 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes 27th Oct 16 at 9:11 AM
    Hello

I think that the time may be right to start a new diary. So much has changed since I started my 2nd diary, which can be found HERE and we're a whole lifetime away from my first diary, which can be found HERE

Whilst my first 2 diaries concentrated on living a simple life, concentrating on debt-avoidance for my (then) DP and I, we had a 'bit' of a tumultuous 2015, which meant that my DP became my DH and we 'Two' became 3, with the safe arrival of Baby Greying

Our focus has changed dramatically. Far from contemplating 'downsizing' (a bit of a misnomer in terms of our house, honestly, I've been in bigger 'flats'! ) and somehow achieving early retirement; we now have a future focus that needs us to be super fit and active for as long as we can be. Also, as older first time parents, we are both committed to try to be in Baby Greying's life for as long as possible, without being a burden. Because whilst being older does have some distinct advantages when applied to parenting, there is no denying there's a downside too..............

Also, the economic climate is changing once again. Blame it on whatever you like, but there is always some reason why prices of x, y or z rise. There is always a reason why, when you find a way to combat inflation; someone comes along and changes the rules of the game. A good example of this is our wood burner. When we had it installed, we had access to a goodly amount of free wood, we both had the time and energy to process it and we could live with parts of the house being cold. Forward 10 years; more people have stoves - and are all chasing that 'free' wood, 'purchased' logs are now very expensive around here and we've no time to stack nor chop wood. It's become easier, and 'as expensive' to flick the on switch for the central heating....... a cleaner in-house option, that can keep the whole house a manageable temperature and Baby Greying at a safe and comfortable temperature.

Now it does matter if our hair-brained money saving wheezes make our teeth fall out or our toes freeze orf, because it impacts on our ability to look after Baby Greying in the now and in the future. Our health and well-being is a priority - but still not at any price. We want to have it all,;but with only a modest budget available, we're gonna have to get creative. I rarely shop in the 'big 4' supermercados. We purchase some things from mrL, some from mrAl. A smattering from mrW, mrT and m&$ (bananas mostly), with h0me bargins and h3ron f00ds being the sources of our regular shopping. We also have access to a food co-operative and I occasionally get to go to the next city along to get bulk purchases of pulses and spices.

Our focus now (that we've got over the shock of Baby Greying ) is to move on from Greying Towers. The long and short of it boils down to it not being the right environment for us to bring up a child here. There are nicer places. We need to find them. So a move is on the cards. However, some renovation of the towers is necessary, and whilst funding has always been an issue; now we have the added upheaval of trying to do work around a baby. Not impossible, but not ideal. It's also still proving impossible to find reliable tradespeople. We're looking for a plumber, again

The one thing that I've come to recognise with age is that there is always 'good stuff' in every life. Even when you're really going through the mill. There are good people, who say or do good things to help you. There are the wonders of nature to take in at every turn. There is humour everywhere, even if you have to look under a few rocks to find it. It is important to be thankful, even on the dark days. And I try to do that - and find writing it down, in my online diary a good exercise in stopping. And thinking.

We like food at Greying Towers. I write about it alot. I take pictures of me tea. We're vegetarian (at present) and so vegetables feature. Alot. When it's gifted HG produce, it's even better

So, do you fancy climbing aboard for the new adventure. Taking some time out to Fall apart in my backyard with Me, DH and BG?

Greying X
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 29-10-2016 at 8:24 AM.
    'Ich habe genug' 'Your Vibe attracts your Tribe'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
Page 137
    • starnac
    • By starnac 5th Jul 18, 6:47 PM
    • 5,344 Posts
    • 25,213 Thanks
    starnac
    Hope you are okay Greying. Hopefully you will recognize the person in the future in order to avoid them. I do think that people say things to parents without realizing the impact words can have though. I did suffer PND with DD but didn't with DS and there were a few things said to me with DS that if they had been said to me when I had DD I would have had a complete breakdown. Thankfully I was stronger with DS and the worst effect the words had on me was a little private cry later.

Don't let them get to you. You are a great mother. BG is thriving in your care. Although they are at that age where they will catch every little thing going. Same goes when they start school and are introduced to a new set of communal germs!

Chin up my dear
    Savings 2235.59
    Overpayments #182 made 467.13/1208.15
    Make 2018 in 2018 #70 688.42/2018
    • Smurphington
    • By Smurphington 5th Jul 18, 7:27 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 317 Thanks
    Smurphington
    Oh greying pilgrim, I'm sorry to hear someone upset you. I know in situations like that I tend to dwell too long on it and ruminate so I hope you are unlike me in that respect. I hope you don't run into said individual again and that you can enjoy a pleasant evening with your family
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 5th Jul 18, 8:47 PM
    • 4,391 Posts
    • 49,496 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening

......and while realising that someone might have a medical condition can make things easier to understand, it doesn't always make them easier to deal with on a practical level.
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff

^^^Precisely how I feel, Cheery. As whilst i never want to be a heartless barsteward, ignoring the debilitating nature of a medical issue IF that is what is at play here, neither can I stand by and let my child be on the receiving end of such guff . As they grow older, and comprehend more; off colour comments and 'jokes' could do serious damage to esteem/confidence etc. Life is hard enough, without random strangers pitching in with utterly un-warranted drivel.

Chin up my dear
    Originally posted by starnac

Thank you starnac for confiriming that I wasn't over-reacting thinking that such an incident could have had far reaching consequences for a someone suffering PND. DH says i should have stopped the person in their tracks and not let them 'go on', but under normal circumstances, folk usually pick up that they've upset you and that you're, in fact, ignoring them....... I suppose next time (I hope there isn't one), I shall have to say something - although I'm aware that I have a small in tow, if voices were to get raised etc. It's not affected me in terms of what was said - that was just drivel, but it's upset me that it occured, the person didn't stop and that BG is beginning to pick things, words and situations up.....

I hope you don't run into said individual again and that you can enjoy a pleasant evening with your family
    Originally posted by Smurphington

Smurphington - I hope it doesn't occur again. I'm narked with myself for getting caught out by the same person again. The trouble is, the person is so....... 'ordinary' - their hair colour, dress, demeanour - they are like hundreds if not thousands of people that I pass on the high street every week, month or year. I never expect them to come out with what they come out with.

--------------------------------------------------------

******* Public Service Announcement********

I hereby declare that DH & me had Cheese on toast with beans atop for us tea!

Signed; Greying Pilgrim X

My appt was at a really akward time, I couldn't be bothered to make preparations before I went - and indeed, I had a swift 40winks with BG laid in the crook of my arm, as they finally dropped off to sleep for a little while...... and by the time I got back, i couldn't be bothered to start anything time-consuming nor faffy. So cheese on toast with beans fitted the bill just nicely And I was going to be able to put my hand on my heart and say to rtandon that I 'never gussied it up none, oh no, I never'. But me gastronaut-ometer did kick in slightly as I plated up and I saw the bottle of 'H3nders0n$ r3l1sh' on the side, so i put a splash or 2 on the melty cheese. But the beans were unadorned - promise

Back to lettuce and virtuous eating tomorrow

If you can call pizza virtuous.............

Today i am grateful for these 3 things;

understanding

the opinions of people I value, far outweigh the opinions proffered by people that I don't even know

laughter

Ta for popping in. Appreciated,

Greying X

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 5th Jul 18, 9:45 PM
    • 5,340 Posts
    • 31,622 Thanks
    in need of direction
    BG is so lucky to have a parent who makes considered responses even in unexpected and inappropriate circumstances. well done you
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 119,481.83 today 72,374.15, target 65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today 377.27 target 5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund 1,100/5.5k & 200/200 cash.
    Weight 8 July 14st 4lb
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 5th Jul 18, 11:45 PM
    • 2,306 Posts
    • 14,781 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Sending hugs to help with the after effects of a not so nice experience xoxox

...and loving that you did indeed add a splash or two of a little something on the simple meal!
    2 YEARS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Working hard to keep all the balls in the air and juggle the budget!
    • Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    • By Tilly MFW in 6 YRS 6th Jul 18, 6:18 AM
    • 7,648 Posts
    • 87,040 Thanks
    Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    Morning Greying, so sorry to read of your difficult situation yesterday. The world is full of (using Tilly household vernacular) !!!8216;Kn@bheads!!!8217;.

Your tea last night sounded pretty darn scrummy to me.

Take care, Tilly xxxxx
    Last edited by Tilly MFW in 6 YRS; 07-07-2018 at 1:27 PM.
    2004 387k 29 years - MF March 2033
    2011 309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 6th Jul 18, 7:08 AM
    • 4,391 Posts
    • 49,496 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

Tilly - I agree, it's just if individuals are ill, it makes it a tadge more difficult, doesn't it? I honestly hope that the individual wasn't being that obnoxious because of their own 'personality type'. that would be very sad to see. Unfortunately, words are uttered, that BG can understand, before I had time to work out that the individual was saying not very nice/not very normal comments. Had a friend or family member uttered them, I would have been very surprised and said something to them - so the fact it was a stranger has left me non-plussed.

Right, household chores today....... ugh

The fruit bowl is starting to look a bit empty, so we might go for a bit of a pootle to see what's about on the shelves, fruit wise, but I shall be honest and say that I'm more tempted to stay out of the sun at the moment - when I can.

We certainly have enough 'for tea' tonight, so if I don't go, we'll certainly not starve.

I can't think of owt else to witter on about. So I think I'll go in search of a cup of coffee.

As ever, ta for popping in.

Greying X

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 6th Jul 18, 1:26 PM
    • 4,391 Posts
    • 49,496 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    I've been and gorn and got 'em
    Good Afternoon
    We went out for a pootle, but am i glad to be back inside now. The sun was really hotting up as we made our way back.

We went to the big HB that has a chilled section. I got some black grapes, some goat's cheese, apples, eggs, oranges and satsumas, long matches, garlic and some blueberries. The blue berries were 125g for 69p, produce of Spain, which i thought was quite a good price for fresh blueberries, so I got some - although we do have frozen in the freezer.

I popped over to mrA and had a look at their strawberry offering. Unfortunately, there were no Scottish berries in the 1.09 punnets. But I have to say, the berries that were 1.09 were slowly but surely turning to mush, even thought they were still in date. So I decided to have a look at the 1.29 punnets of scottish branded strawberries. The berries looked far better, but I had to dig through to find some that had any sort of aroma. But I found a punnet, and picked up some lemons, a lime and a small white cabbage (38p).

BG enjoyed some of the strawberries for lunch, and I have to say, I think that today, it was well-worth paying 20p extra. Whilst today's strawberries aren't necessarily the best we've had from mrA, they are flavoursome and ripe and I think there will be little or no wastage, so represent excellent value for money (which I consider as important as 'low' prices). So thank you to Liam Stewart, strawberry farmer of Perth

We also tried the mrT nectarines today. They are ripe, the stone comes easily out of the middle, but they are not the most flavoursome fruit I've ever eaten. The flesh is quite pale - not white, but sertainly not golden yellow.

Right, BG is squirming on my knee, watching an episode of the flumps, but I think they want to get back to their 'cooking' They have made a makeshift 'stove' out of their toys, and their favourite soft toy has had seemlessly endless courses of 'brekkie'......... I'd better get making some pizza dough.

Ta for popping in. Greatly appreciated.

Greying X

• Smurphington
    • By Smurphington 6th Jul 18, 1:44 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 317 Thanks
    Smurphington
    I regret going on a walk today as even with factor 50 I feel like I have been burnt . I'm attempting hm pizza today too, I don't have one of those proper pizza trays with the holes in though so hoping a trusty baking tray won't hinder the outcome too much
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 6th Jul 18, 3:39 PM
    • 2,910 Posts
    • 24,199 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Seemingly endless courses of brekkie - Mr F's dream

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 8% paid Overpayments: 3368.59 Emergency Fund: 75%

Read my work here and here (scroll down for text). Free to read but ratings and reviews very much appreciated.
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 6th Jul 18, 9:30 PM
    • 4,391 Posts
    • 49,496 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening

I thought we were going to get a thunder storm this arvo - the skies clouded, it went sweaty.... but nah. The sun came back 5 minutes later, fierce as ever I did however, steal a snoozette of at least an hour.......BG fell asleep for longer......

I have paid the CC bill

I have completed the h/hold chores that needed attending to

We had YS'd mushroom pizza for tea

The HG tatties from the parentals were - unfortunately - a nonstarter They were exceptionally scabby and there were only a few. By the time they had been prepped, there would have been nothing to eat and Moira Stewart would have been presenting the 9 O'clock news! So I used up the last of some (short) rigatoni pasta that I got from HB - I think around Christmas time - and used up the last of the tomato dressing that I made on..... Tuesday? We also had the YS'd rocket from mrT - boy, was it spicy! BG munched a load of pasta and pizza Followed by some blueberries Mater and Pater had the last of the vanilla ice cream and the strawberries

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

good news

good food

good times

Ta for popping in. Greatly appreciated. Always.

Greying X

• rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 7th Jul 18, 8:04 AM
    • 2,306 Posts
    • 14,781 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Pizza here too for dinner last night! (mostly because I forgot to put the slow cooker meal on!)

'Bottom of the fridge pizza' using up bits and pieces found lurking - an interesting combination - 1/2 tomato sauce, 1/2 pesto sauce, topped with chopped grilled artichoke & peppers (leftover antipasti), last of a basics feta block, 1/4 of a courgette sliced thinly, 1 shallot also sliced thinly & for himself who could not quite manage a veggie meal a token slice or two of ham chopped up and sprinkled on top - LOL - the things we have to do to get the fussy eaters to have their 5 a day
    2 YEARS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Working hard to keep all the balls in the air and juggle the budget!
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 7th Jul 18, 10:51 AM
    • 4,391 Posts
    • 49,496 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

rtandon - your pizza was much thriftier than mine - I bought mushies especially to put on mine - albeit YS'd

We popped into Greying Town early. I was hopeful my hairdresser might be around. But alas alack, t'was not the case

I picked up a few bits and pieces whilst i was in town - DH wanted some crisps to eat whilst watching the footie, and I remembered that h3r0n f00ds stock 'fr3ddos', so I got a pack for BG as they had been promised a little treat from the money they had been gifted earlier on in the week

Looks like everyone wanted to get their shopping done before the footy kickoof - or perhaps Wimbledon (do they still play on the middle Saturday?), or perhaps any one of a number of fetes, galas and summery events

Right, I'm away to make myself a smoothie and to think about curry for tea

Ta for popping in.

Greying X

• Smurphington
    • By Smurphington 8th Jul 18, 4:07 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 317 Thanks
    Smurphington
    Hi Greying, could you be so kind as to recommend any recipe websites? I have used jack monroe but that's the only budget one I'm aware of .
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 8th Jul 18, 4:26 PM
    • 4,391 Posts
    • 49,496 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Hi Greying, could you be so kind as to recommend any recipe websites? I have used jack monroe but that's the only budget one I'm aware of .

Well........ It's difficult to recommend a website as such, as I tend to be ingredient led, and do a search for recipes based on that. It's got me to some wonderful websites, and in receipt of some wonderful recipes - not all of them as budget exemplary as Jack's.

Are you aware of the recipe indexes on MSE? They are on the 'front' of the Grocery Challenge, over on the Old-Style board. You'll find them HERE, there are veggie options. The recipes that have been posted by MSE'rs are definitely on the thrifty side.

There was also a poster - from MSE originally i think - called Leslie, who has devoted much time to coming up with frugal meals. Erm....... ah ha! Yes, Thrifty Leslie - she does still have her website - she's had a lot of recipes printed in the da1ly mA1l, the Sunshine etc I don't think I've ever used here recipes - but I know that she is very well thought of.

There was also a whole website devoted to cheap family meals that was the work of a lass on MSE that was a terrific resource. She and a team of MSE'rs voluntarily gave up so much time to develop recipes - based on mrA groceries that were nutrtious and cheap. I'm trying to remember her username, as I was thinking about her the other day. She lived with her husband - acetate monkey in Cardiff and in the time that she was on MSE, she had 2 children - 2 boys if I recall. The website was operational, but eventually fell out of copyright - or whatever its called. I wish mcculloch was here, she'd remember the whole thread and if it is still possible to get the cached version of it. The prices would be out of whack, but the recipes would still be valid. Her username was something74, wish I could remember.

Other than that, I can only recommend having a look around the internet. Budget Bytes is an american site that lots of people think is good - i've not used it.

EDIT: You could always download the PDF's done by Leanne Brown Good and Cheap and From Scratch - they are both free, and whilst not exclusively veggie, they have a large proportion of veggie foods, or stuff that can be adapted. The recipes are based on the US food stamp allocation of $4 a day, so thrift features. Have a look on Leanne's website HERE to find the PDF downloads.

HTH.

Greying X
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 08-07-2018 at 4:35 PM.

• Smurphington
    • By Smurphington 8th Jul 18, 4:32 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 317 Thanks
    Smurphington
    Thankyou very much that's very helpful. I really need to get on top of my food bill
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 8th Jul 18, 4:35 PM
    • 4,391 Posts
    • 49,496 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Thankyou very much that's very helpful. I really need to get on top of my food bill

Smurphington - did you seem my edit, for another link? I think we cross-posted.

Greying X

• greenbee
    • By greenbee 8th Jul 18, 4:37 PM
    • 12,783 Posts
    • 221,761 Thanks
    greenbee
    I think this is the website you mean GP:

http://cheap-family-recipes.org/
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 8th Jul 18, 4:39 PM
    • 4,391 Posts
    • 49,496 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    I think this is the website you mean GP:

http://cheap-family-recipes.org/
    Originally posted by greenbee

greebee - you're ACE!!!!! That's entirely the one I meant - didn't you and Memorygirl make a significant contribution to the site/all the recipe testing, too???

Greying X

• Smurphington
    • By Smurphington 8th Jul 18, 5:01 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 317 Thanks
    Smurphington
    Ah brilliant Thank you got all the links now. These will help immensely . I use the good food website a lot which is good but often you need things I don't have readily available or frankly cannot afford x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,080Posts Today

7,868Users online

Martin's Twitter