Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    • 4,433Posts
    • 49,986Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes
    • 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes 27th Oct 16 at 9:11 AM
    Hello

I think that the time may be right to start a new diary. So much has changed since I started my 2nd diary, which can be found HERE and we're a whole lifetime away from my first diary, which can be found HERE

Whilst my first 2 diaries concentrated on living a simple life, concentrating on debt-avoidance for my (then) DP and I, we had a 'bit' of a tumultuous 2015, which meant that my DP became my DH and we 'Two' became 3, with the safe arrival of Baby Greying

Our focus has changed dramatically. Far from contemplating 'downsizing' (a bit of a misnomer in terms of our house, honestly, I've been in bigger 'flats'! ) and somehow achieving early retirement; we now have a future focus that needs us to be super fit and active for as long as we can be. Also, as older first time parents, we are both committed to try to be in Baby Greying's life for as long as possible, without being a burden. Because whilst being older does have some distinct advantages when applied to parenting, there is no denying there's a downside too..............

Also, the economic climate is changing once again. Blame it on whatever you like, but there is always some reason why prices of x, y or z rise. There is always a reason why, when you find a way to combat inflation; someone comes along and changes the rules of the game. A good example of this is our wood burner. When we had it installed, we had access to a goodly amount of free wood, we both had the time and energy to process it and we could live with parts of the house being cold. Forward 10 years; more people have stoves - and are all chasing that 'free' wood, 'purchased' logs are now very expensive around here and we've no time to stack nor chop wood. It's become easier, and 'as expensive' to flick the on switch for the central heating....... a cleaner in-house option, that can keep the whole house a manageable temperature and Baby Greying at a safe and comfortable temperature.

Now it does matter if our hair-brained money saving wheezes make our teeth fall out or our toes freeze orf, because it impacts on our ability to look after Baby Greying in the now and in the future. Our health and well-being is a priority - but still not at any price. We want to have it all,;but with only a modest budget available, we're gonna have to get creative. I rarely shop in the 'big 4' supermercados. We purchase some things from mrL, some from mrAl. A smattering from mrW, mrT and m&$ (bananas mostly), with h0me bargins and h3ron f00ds being the sources of our regular shopping. We also have access to a food co-operative and I occasionally get to go to the next city along to get bulk purchases of pulses and spices.

Our focus now (that we've got over the shock of Baby Greying ) is to move on from Greying Towers. The long and short of it boils down to it not being the right environment for us to bring up a child here. There are nicer places. We need to find them. So a move is on the cards. However, some renovation of the towers is necessary, and whilst funding has always been an issue; now we have the added upheaval of trying to do work around a baby. Not impossible, but not ideal. It's also still proving impossible to find reliable tradespeople. We're looking for a plumber, again

The one thing that I've come to recognise with age is that there is always 'good stuff' in every life. Even when you're really going through the mill. There are good people, who say or do good things to help you. There are the wonders of nature to take in at every turn. There is humour everywhere, even if you have to look under a few rocks to find it. It is important to be thankful, even on the dark days. And I try to do that - and find writing it down, in my online diary a good exercise in stopping. And thinking.

We like food at Greying Towers. I write about it alot. I take pictures of me tea. We're vegetarian (at present) and so vegetables feature. Alot. When it's gifted HG produce, it's even better

So, do you fancy climbing aboard for the new adventure. Taking some time out to Fall apart in my backyard with Me, DH and BG?

Greying X
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 29-10-2016 at 8:24 AM.
    'Ich habe genug' 'Your Vibe attracts your Tribe'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
Page 126
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 10th May 18, 8:52 PM
    • 4,433 Posts
    • 49,986 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    I realise that's not normal. Only kashi rather than the raw stuff...
    Originally posted by greenbee
    Ah, right, so it's roasted - properly if the bought item, stirred about in a hot, dry pan if I'm doing it at home...... So that makes it edible 'raw' (ish)? I suppose it's like eating nuts, or popcorn?

I did used to like the dish, I think it was in one of Sara Brown's veggie cooking books, and basically you made buckwheat into a sort of porridge, with... grated carrots and onions, and garlic, herbs..... and then pressed it into a pan and baked it. I'm pretty sure that it was the first "adventurous" veggie dish that I ever made. It was good hot or cold. Haven't got her cookery book now - you'd find it in a chazzer, not on a bookshop shelf..... so can't make it again

I have eaten some kashi - bought in Russia. It does taste different being roasted properly. Perhaps that is what the unroasted stuff that you get in supermercados/whole-food shops in the UK is missing?

Greying X

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th May 18, 8:54 PM
    • 58,803 Posts
    • 243,867 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad that you have had a lovely day
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 11th May 18, 7:49 AM
    • 4,433 Posts
    • 49,986 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

well, what a start to the day. BG had used 2 new words in the correct context before 7am, and by 7.30am, had improved their pronounciation of a word that they've been using for a while, but in a way that didn't sound anything like the word - so we had to de-code for people. I have absolutely no idea where BG gets the stimulus to try out new words, and the pace of development - they are just a little sponge But I shouldn't be surprised really, as yesterday, they were gifted some new books, and the minute that we had got in through the door, they got the books out of the bag, and put them into their beloved Papa's hands, so that they could read and enjoy them together. All free activities - but priceless to witness and be a part of.

I've normal household chores to attend to today and DH wants me to look over his list for weekend chores to see what can be added, and to check what can be put on the 'discard' pile, so that we can recycle/take to the tip as appropriate. All progress

I need to make some hummus. I have soaked the chickpeas, just need to cook them in the PC.

Right, best get on. Ta for popping in. Always appreciated. Always.

Greying X

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 11th May 18, 12:42 PM
    • 4,433 Posts
    • 49,986 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Serves me right......
    Well there was me waxing lyrical about BG's endeavours before breakfast, and then of course, we had the downside of 'development' which is frustration, tears, stomping feet and 'me no likey'........... I shall leave it to you, dear reader, to unknit the fog as to whether I am alluding to the parent or the child............

However, the cure to all this is - for the most part - fresh air and adventurising. So we loaded up the chariot, girded our loins and set out to wander over to MrL's. It's quite a walk - way too far for a toddle, but it's a walk I used to do regularly pre-pregnancy, and whilst pregnant, so it has been good to walk it now - albeit with the additional 'load' of pushing BG, as it feels as though things are 'back to normal'. Plus it's a decent distance (we're talking miles, not metres) and I get to feel all smug that I don't have to pay a gym membership to perspire like a porcine!

MrL has got aubergines on 'special' at 49p. They were produce of Holland, and were big, bright and glossy. I got two. I did also pick up a net of lemons, as they looked nice. There were 3 in my net, for 69p. The advantage of sending BG to mrL sometimes with their papa is that they 'know' some of the things that we buy - so they directed me to the bread - which I had actually forgotten we needed They also wanted to have a trolley/cart which papa usually lets them steer, but it was no-go with the pushchair, so a little disappointment.

I called in at mrM on my way back. I'm afraid that it is my least favourite supermercado, and I avoid shopping there. However, it was on my route, and I popped in to get some 'fresh' coriander. I like their 225g packs for 1.50. I chop it up and freeze it, and add it to curries etc as i go. My luck was in, as not only did they have it in stock, but I also bagged a YS'd pack for 1.13. Not a huge discount, but one I'd take, none-the-less. I also picked up a bag of their 'wonky' avocados. Again, hass and produce of Peru, they are long dated, but there was 5 in a pack (one more than mrAl) for 1.56. So I'll see how we go with them. They are less ripe than the ones I got from mrAl, so I'll keep them to ripen more.

Right, I've cupboards and jars to re-stock and a baby to feed

Greying X

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th May 18, 1:22 PM
    • 58,803 Posts
    • 243,867 Thanks
    beanielou
    Laughing at the ever lovely Miss BG

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 11th May 18, 8:21 PM
    • 4,433 Posts
    • 49,986 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening

Well, wot a luverly day I have had

I've had exercise, got what I needed and bagged a couple of (slight) bargains. Had a nice chit-chat with a chum, spent time in the kitchen and spent quality time with my family. Am I one lucky woman, or what?

Tea this evening was summat a bit different from the norm, as I felt like experimenting a little and as it happened, I had amassed most of the ingredients to give it a go - well, a 'Greying version' of it, anyhoo. I made 'Sabich Sandwiches', teamed with the Av1ko brand spicy sweet potato wedges from h3r0n f00ds.

I did improvise, I used tortillas from HB (not really big enough), instead of pitas, and for the Amba chutney, I used tinned mango slices Eastern Enders brand that I got from HB for 49p a little while ago. And just used the spices listed in the recipe, as a 'pinch of this' and a 'splodge of that' rather than making the quantity specified in the recipe. It worked OK - could probably have used a little more heat/chilli - but better to err on the side of caution. I decided to marinate my aubergine, something that I have never done before, but it worked well and the aubergine held the flavours well and the lemon caramelised well, when I grilled the slices. I marinated the slices for a couple of hours, rather than 15 minutes, as I wanted them to take up the flavour. I did also put a speck of oil and some smoked paprika in my marinade and fried off the aubergine in a dry pan.

I thought it worked well enough - the ingredient that brought it all together was - surprise, surprise - the boiled egg. I also got to use my egg slicer, which has been sadly neglected for months so I got me bit 'o 70's nostalgia thrown in an' all

DH liked them, and thought tea quite filling. So I would make them again - although making the various components is a little time-consuming. I did make my own hummus too, but shop-bought would easily work as well. I used pickled gherkins (we like them), and they certainly added a piquant enough note, even if not wholly authentic.

Today i am grateful for these 3 things;

my health

interesting eats

BG helping to put a clean pillow-case, on their pillow - priceless and precious

Ta for popping in. Appreciated. As ever.

Greying X

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 12th May 18, 7:50 AM
    • 4,433 Posts
    • 49,986 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good morning

OK, so a new day. What money saivng features will it contain today?

Um................................

Well, we've had breakfast already. I had avocado on toast - using one of the mrAl avos. It was just on the point of ripeness - could have left it another day or two, but it was perfect inside, no black bits, so well chuffed with it.

Tea this evening will be curry - definitely featuring aubergine, as I've half left over from marinating one last night. So probably mixed veg curry with dhal and rice. Works for me.

We did have to have the heating on last night - it went a bit chilly. I was nattering to a chum who'd got their log-burner going, so I didn't feel that it was just us being nesh. So that's not exactly 'money saving', but needs must I guess.

BG is sat on my knee watching an episode of the flumps from the 1970's. The stop-animation on these children's programmes, made for the beebeecee was soooo much better than the modern digitised stuff. But then I'm an auld luddite - so I would say that, wouldn't I?

Right, I had best get ready to shuffle orf, when the episode has finished...... Do something constructive

Ta for popping by.

Greying X

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th May 18, 10:33 AM
    • 58,803 Posts
    • 243,867 Thanks
    beanielou
    Have a lovely Saturday
    Sun is shining here

***Keep plodding***
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 12th May 18, 11:33 AM
    • 2,058 Posts
    • 12,790 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I loved the flumps- was it Posie, Perkin and Pootle? I'm now have the theme tune ear worming which is good.
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 12th May 18, 1:28 PM
    • 4,433 Posts
    • 49,986 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Have a lovely Saturday
    Sun is shining here
    Originally posted by beanielou
    YAY!!

I loved the flumps- was it Posie, Perkin and Pootle? I'm now have the theme tune ear worming which is good.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Yes!

Greying X

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 13th May 18, 8:45 AM
    • 4,433 Posts
    • 49,986 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

Such a shame to hear the Tessa Jowell has died. Irrespective of whether you agree with someone's party political leanings - and I'm not sure all politicians agree with their party direction 100% of the time, but aren't 'allowed' to dissent.... - she was in a set of women of their time who were achievers and doers, and indeed, glass ceiling breakers. And she was trying, up until her end, to make a difference for all cancer sufferers, not just celebrity ones.

The parentals are starting to be a worry with failing health and falls. We had a situation yesterday where I could do nothing as I had no vehicle and had BG to look after. Still, the police and ambulance service, along with the NHS came to the rescue, although I'm a little concerned that someone who has had a fall and an obvious head injury is released to drive within hours of a fall......... But of course, the solution to that thinking is 'do something about it yourself, then!' and I couldn't. And you find that siblings won't lift a finger either.

I had a very early night last night, so didn't avail myself of any of the Eurovision shennanigans. I'm boring and pedestrian and it has never been my cup of tea.

Tea last night worked surprisingly well for a made up thing. I cooked onion/garlic/ginger paste. Added in some l/o jalfrezi spice mix and some extra fenugreek that I had roasted and ground. I then added in the l/o aubergine, a red and a yellow pepper, and 2 (small) sweet potaotes. Cooked them in a little water. Added tomato passata and let it cook down. Finished off with seasoning and some chopped 'fresh' coriander. I paired it with Tina's dhal and steamed basmati.

There is some dhal and a splodge of curry left over for another day.

Tea tonight will be a salad bowl, as we've some things that need using. I am going to be basing it loosely on Mellen's Bone Building Salad from the Happy Pear cookbook

We've no plans to go out adventurising today, despite it looking like it will be a fine day There are chores-a-plenty to complete at the homestead.

Ta for popping by.

Greying X

• Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 13th May 18, 7:57 PM
    • 8,349 Posts
    • 41,879 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Eek, sorry to hear about your situation yesterday Greying what a worry for all concerned. Hope they recover soon xx
    Mortgage over payments since Feb 2018 = 619.25
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 13th May 18, 8:21 PM
    • 4,433 Posts
    • 49,986 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good evening

Hope you've had a great day. We have. DH has worked his socks off clearing and cleaning. I've done what I could around looking after BG and we even managed to shoe-horn in a little family time this arvo for a walk, toddle and lots of laughter

We didn't spend any money today Our walk this afternoon was completely free and we amused ourselves with totally free activities And an activity which was the preserve of mumma and BG has now been shared with papa, so he knows what we get up to sometimes whilst he is out grafting

We were having such a good time out and about that we were a little late back to the homestead. But we managed, by hook, crook and team-work to get tea made, the baby bathed and changed, tea munched and baby sent off to Bedfordshire smothered in kisses and hugs, only 15 minutes later than usual

Tea was indeed a salad bowl, which was I think it's fair to say, was inspired by Mellen's Bone Building salad, rather than a slavish adherence to it. T'was yum though, even if I do say so myself I'd been looking earlier at some of my pictures that made it on my previous threads, when p'bucket was a useful picture hosting outfit. And whilst my levels of presentation vary wildly, I think the salad bowls were possibly my best dishes, and certainly I amazed myself at some of the complex dishes I used to put together. Anyway, I was looking for an avocado salad dish that I knew that I had made and photographed, and whilst my memory played tricks on me, and I imagined it differently, it was there and so I made it again today.

So, our salad bowl comprised; a mould of brown basmati rice, a lentil version of Anissa Helou's Jerusalem Mix - which if you substitute all the meat for cooked lentils, and follow the ingredient list from 'onions' down, you will have what I made , Orange and fennel marinated olives (I include orange juice in my version, and the longer you leave the fennel, the better they taste ), sliced cucumber, wild rocket, avocado im egozim (I left the olives out, as we had olives on the plate already and my recipe - from another book - doesn't have yoghurt in it, but does have tomatoes) I topeed it all off with a boiled egg - sliced on my slicer scattered toasted flaked almonds and sunflower seeds over, adn drizzled over a dressing of orange juice, miso paste, yoghurt and mayonnaise. Yum.

I am guilty of wasting an avocado though in tea preparation. I think I picked up the wrong one - i certainly chose one of the bigger ones, over a smaller one. Unfortunately, despite feeling ripe, it wasn't and I had to compost it. Luckily the smaller one was perfectly ripe, so although we ate less, it was nice, so.........

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

precious family fun-time

a hard-working DH

a varied diet

Ta for popping by. Appreciated.

Greying X

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 13th May 18, 8:24 PM
    • 4,433 Posts
    • 49,986 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Eek, sorry to hear about your situation yesterday Greying what a worry for all concerned. Hope they recover soon xx
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff

Aw, thanks love. It's just life. But I did feel a bit helpless, and I'm not too sure what the solution will be going forward. Still, I'm not the first person to have ever faced the issue, with or without smalls to care for, so.....

Greying X

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 13th May 18, 8:56 PM
    • 2,925 Posts
    • 24,317 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    What a worry Greying. I hope the parentals are recovered and all is well.

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 8% paid Overpayments: 3908.56 Emergency Fund: 75%

Read my work here and here (scroll down for text). Free to read but ratings and reviews very much appreciated.
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 13th May 18, 10:29 PM
    • 2,114 Posts
    • 13,224 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    Pops in to say 'hi'
    1 x cc left : Flylady : Grocery club member : Old Style Weightloss lurker
    It's not getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got

Need to rejoin the Grocery Budget thread - Completely Debt-free by April 2019 Jan 2019
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th May 18, 8:17 AM
    • 58,803 Posts
    • 243,867 Thanks
    beanielou
    Also hoping the parentals are recovering well.

***Keep plodding***
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 15th May 18, 6:10 AM
    • 4,433 Posts
    • 49,986 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

Thank you for all your good wishes. Yes the gardening parental is on the mend, physically. Not too sure about mentally and emotionally. I mean, who ever wants to admit that the vagries of ageing are creeping up on them? Unfortunately, within the family (previous generations) although we've been a pretty independent, healthy(ish), 'aren't they good for their age' bunch; when the falls have started, they didn't stop at one, and were the precursor for other things. I think we all have to get our heads around that one and make necessary accommodations. However much we may not like it.

Siblings finally got in touch. Guess who'll have to be the 'bad cop' and have the 'you must leave us all with a number that you can be got in touch with, all the time' type of conversation...................

Right, to other matters.

Tea last night was a mish mash of pasta, mozarella (last 'log' from h3r0n f00ds ), chopped black olives, chopped, jarred red peppers, lemon dressing. BG surprised us by eating some too (because of the dressing - they love pasta!)

I think it will be a 'salad bowl' of some description again tonight. I want to use up the amba chutney - which I didn't make to 'proper' chutney standards, and hence it won't keep as long. Will have a root around and throw a few things together. It was easier when 'Tuesday night was soup night', but I think there is a strong possibility that today will shape up to be another fine weather day, not conducive with hot soup......

I've some shopping to do for bits and pieces and it's TV guide day, so will pick that up along the way somewhere. I've some pictures to get printed in various forms, so better get on with sorting that out onto my memory stick.

A friend is coming to visit today, so that will be nice. They adore BG and are great company and an interesting and stimulating conversationalist I am so lucky with my friends - old and new

Right, best shift-a-tail-feather and get on with it!

Ta for popping by and being so supportive. It is greatly appreciated. By me. Always.

Greying X

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th May 18, 8:52 AM
    • 58,803 Posts
    • 243,867 Thanks
    beanielou
    Have a lovely time with your friend

***Keep plodding***
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 15th May 18, 8:29 PM
    • 8,051 Posts
    • 61,367 Thanks
    apple muncher
    I bought some frozen avocado halves from icyland today and my first thought was, 'ooh, must tell gp about them'! They were 3.50 for 8 halves and you can see them all as the packet is clearish. I have no idea how the price compares with elsewhere. But I can say that once defrosted, they don't keep their shape like fresh ones. Still tasty though.

Jus' lettin' ya know....
    NST December in the TARDIS #1; NSD 6/15; Shlder Ex 6/21 ; craft 2(261); remove (669)
    2018 Pay off: 4641; 2
    018 sell 98.10; WLOSW 3/10

Mortgage 18,634 (01/14: 78,201; 01/15: 59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,356Posts Today

7,662Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The responses to this thread are no question the best of british! https://t.co/jv5Q2ErQQC

• RT @SMinihane87: @MartinSLewis After she received the title she addressed it in literally the first episode of the next season of the appre?

• RT @WhichUK: ??CHRISTMAS WARNING TO PARENTS?? Don't buy any of these slimes for your kids ? they all contain potentially unsafe levels of?

• Follow Martin