Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    • 4,215Posts
    • 47,012Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes
    • 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes 27th Oct 16 at 9:11 AM
    Hello

I think that the time may be right to start a new diary. So much has changed since I started my 2nd diary, which can be found HERE and we're a whole lifetime away from my first diary, which can be found HERE

Whilst my first 2 diaries concentrated on living a simple life, concentrating on debt-avoidance for my (then) DP and I, we had a 'bit' of a tumultuous 2015, which meant that my DP became my DH and we 'Two' became 3, with the safe arrival of Baby Greying

Our focus has changed dramatically. Far from contemplating 'downsizing' (a bit of a misnomer in terms of our house, honestly, I've been in bigger 'flats'! ) and somehow achieving early retirement; we now have a future focus that needs us to be super fit and active for as long as we can be. Also, as older first time parents, we are both committed to try to be in Baby Greying's life for as long as possible, without being a burden. Because whilst being older does have some distinct advantages when applied to parenting, there is no denying there's a downside too..............

Also, the economic climate is changing once again. Blame it on whatever you like, but there is always some reason why prices of x, y or z rise. There is always a reason why, when you find a way to combat inflation; someone comes along and changes the rules of the game. A good example of this is our wood burner. When we had it installed, we had access to a goodly amount of free wood, we both had the time and energy to process it and we could live with parts of the house being cold. Forward 10 years; more people have stoves - and are all chasing that 'free' wood, 'purchased' logs are now very expensive around here and we've no time to stack nor chop wood. It's become easier, and 'as expensive' to flick the on switch for the central heating....... a cleaner in-house option, that can keep the whole house a manageable temperature and Baby Greying at a safe and comfortable temperature.

Now it does matter if our hair-brained money saving wheezes make our teeth fall out or our toes freeze orf, because it impacts on our ability to look after Baby Greying in the now and in the future. Our health and well-being is a priority - but still not at any price. We want to have it all,;but with only a modest budget available, we're gonna have to get creative. I rarely shop in the 'big 4' supermercados. We purchase some things from mrL, some from mrAl. A smattering from mrW, mrT and m&$ (bananas mostly), with h0me bargins and h3ron f00ds being the sources of our regular shopping. We also have access to a food co-operative and I occasionally get to go to the next city along to get bulk purchases of pulses and spices.

Our focus now (that we've got over the shock of Baby Greying ) is to move on from Greying Towers. The long and short of it boils down to it not being the right environment for us to bring up a child here. There are nicer places. We need to find them. So a move is on the cards. However, some renovation of the towers is necessary, and whilst funding has always been an issue; now we have the added upheaval of trying to do work around a baby. Not impossible, but not ideal. It's also still proving impossible to find reliable tradespeople. We're looking for a plumber, again

The one thing that I've come to recognise with age is that there is always 'good stuff' in every life. Even when you're really going through the mill. There are good people, who say or do good things to help you. There are the wonders of nature to take in at every turn. There is humour everywhere, even if you have to look under a few rocks to find it. It is important to be thankful, even on the dark days. And I try to do that - and find writing it down, in my online diary a good exercise in stopping. And thinking.

We like food at Greying Towers. I write about it alot. I take pictures of me tea. We're vegetarian (at present) and so vegetables feature. Alot. When it's gifted HG produce, it's even better

So, do you fancy climbing aboard for the new adventure. Taking some time out to Fall apart in my backyard with Me, DH and BG?

Greying X
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 29-10-2016 at 8:24 AM.
    'Ich habe genug' 'Your Vibe attracts your Tribe'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
Page 119
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 12th Mar 18, 3:35 PM
    • 4,215 Posts
    • 47,012 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Definitely GP - true what Cheery says!

Less tat = Improved Feng Shui!
    Originally posted by rtandon27
    Yes, I agree too - in this case, it's as much mental Feng Shui as physical. We know we've got to sort out a big project - and it is a big project. A big scary project when looked at in the whole. By achieving this tat removal at the weekend, it's made an almost negligible difference to the project as a whole, but as a first step in getting the ball rolling, it's huge.

I'm being much more realistic about what my life will look like/be like in the future, and I have to be honest and say it's probably not going to mirror what has gone before. Things that have been useful in the past, are not necessarily going to be needed in future. Time to get rid/pass on/sell etc.

Greying X

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 12th Mar 18, 3:45 PM
    • 8,123 Posts
    • 40,050 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    That's the spirit GP Having just come out of the other end of our own 'sorting and decorating ready to sell' house project, I can confirm that teensy tiny bits DO indeed add up, and there IS an end (however far away it feels...). Sometimes yes, it feels like you're going backwards but you are inching forwards and that tat that you removed from the house? You'll never have to deal with that particular bit of tat again

Well done
    • Verbatim
    • By Verbatim 12th Mar 18, 4:54 PM
    • 4,575 Posts
    • 13,604 Thanks
    Verbatim
    Absolutely!
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 12th Mar 18, 11:04 PM
    • 16,588 Posts
    • 109,533 Thanks
    gallygirl
    Whoever suggested the valerian tea - you could have pointed out it tastes yuck

But I will be back tomorrow ecstatic if it has worked (and may have another cup in the morning and take myself back to bed ).
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 13th Mar 18, 8:12 PM
    • 4,215 Posts
    • 47,012 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening

gally - did it work? If we'd pointed out that it's not the best tasting thing you'll try this year, no-one would try it I find the taste bearable - it's the smell that gets me. I always think something has died and transmogrified on the carpet. And then I remember I have valerie sitting in front of me.

I have spent money today. Mostly on needed things, and a bit of impulse buying in the m&$ sale on clothes for BG. Luckily the one item I was going to buy anyway. I didn't have enough money on me the other day. A situation that saved me £1.50 today

I popped a donation in the FB box in the BS. There was more in there since yesterday, so I'm hopeful folk are twigging on, and it'll prove a success and lots of 'good stuff' will get to where it needs to go

Tea was spiced parsnip and apple soup. It's kinda sorta made up - the quantities and spices certainly are a case of whatever is to hand, But I seem to remember that its origins are in a Jane Grigson recipe, maybe with pear rather than apple?? Can't remember. But it was delish.

I still haven't got round to completing my meal-plan

Today i am grateful for these 3 things;

meeting new people

choices

tea from scratch in minutes

Ta for popping in. Appreciated.

Greying X

• Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 13th Mar 18, 8:46 PM
    • 8,123 Posts
    • 40,050 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Excellent bargain hunting and donating GP
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 14th Mar 18, 2:43 PM
    • 4,215 Posts
    • 47,012 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good afternoon

Thanks Cheery, your support - and the support of all on here - is absolutely invaluable

Well, we've seized the day and been hither and yon I have bought one or two grocery bits and pieces - making sure I took advantage of the last day of the S6 and purchased 2 x bags of parsnips and a HUGE swede We were gifted some leeks too

I know that some of you may think that 'listening to the universe' (etc etc) is a lot of new-age mumble jumble, but I'm open to it enough to...... keep an ear open to co-incidence etc. I haven't won the lottery ( boo!), nor transformed my life because of it, but I'm sure I've participated in alot of 'good stuff', because I've been a little bit open-minded, and I've certainly met some nice people because of it So it's been no surprise today, that I overheard something - which I possibly wasn't supposed to (as such) - but which has helped me make a decision about carrying on - or not - with a social group that I'd joined. I'd been getting less and less 'out' of turning up (not that I expect it to be 'take, take, take' - I do try ever so hard to give too) and was thinking of just jacking in participation. The way today panned out, I could see that it won't be very long before there is a natural point to quit, without ruffling feathers, and up until that point, we literally can just 'enjoy the ride'.

I'm glad that I donated to the FB yesterday, as my donations from last week, and several weeks before - to the other collection point - are still sat in the box. It's important to me to know that my donations are getting to where they need to be. Sitting in a box for weeks on end is helping no-one.

BG is having a nap, and I need to get on and do some housework (ugh!).

Tea tonight is a mystery. I really must get my butt into gear with this dang menu-planning. Retrospective meal-planning does not have legs as an idea!

Greying X

• rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 14th Mar 18, 3:19 PM
    • 2,175 Posts
    • 13,836 Thanks
    rtandon27
    ...I'm glad that I donated to the FB yesterday, as my donations from last week, and several weeks before - to the other collection point - are still sat in the box. It's important to me to know that my donations are getting to where they need to be. Sitting in a box for weeks on end is helping no-one...
    Originally posted by Greying Pilgrim
    GP - at the risk of getting booted off your lovely thread...

...would it be a complete faux-pas to pull your donations out of said box & give them to the FB that you are currently donating to???

Just saying...
    1.5 YEARS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Still working hard to keep up the good habits!
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 14th Mar 18, 7:47 PM
    • 4,215 Posts
    • 47,012 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening

GP - at the risk of getting booted off your lovely thread...

...would it be a complete faux-pas to pull your donations out of said box & give them to the FB that you are currently donating to???

Just saying...
    Ha ha ha - rtandon - a thought such as that did tip-toe through my mind at one point. But you just know that I would have got caught red-handed removing the things - by someone and it would be interpreted totally as .... theft So no, I have left my contributions there, in the hope that they get to their intended destination sometime before Christmas. And I shall keep my fingers crossed and hope that the BS are meaningfully engaged with their project, and that will perhaps enable me to 'make up the difference'

Tea this evening ended up being red kidney bean chilli, rice and broccoli. The chilli used up the remaining half a bottle of passata and the broccoli was the remainder of a bag out of the freezer. Cheap, cheerful and filling. And just the right sort of nosh, given the biting cold wind.

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

decisions

emails

Ta for popping in. Greatly appreciated.

Greying X
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 14-03-2018 at 7:56 PM. Reason: I meant given, not giving.....doh!

• gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 14th Mar 18, 8:42 PM
    • 16,588 Posts
    • 109,533 Thanks
    gallygirl

gally - did it work?
    That'd be a resounding NO . Back to the drawing board, though maybe third time lucky tonight? Have to say it tastes better than it smells - but if it didn't I wouldn't have been able to drink it .

Not sure how I feel on the woo-wooness of asking the Universe (though hedging my bets by writing Universe with a capital ). However, I do know that if you talk to people (ridiculous concept I know ) and 'put what you want out there' (not necessarily specifically asking for something) things can happen. Just wrote a long post that bored me when I read it back so deleted it, let's just say I've a few examples of it working .
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 14th Mar 18, 8:58 PM
    • 4,215 Posts
    • 47,012 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    That'd be a resounding NO . Back to the drawing board, though maybe third time lucky tonight? Have to say it tastes better than it smells - but if it didn't I wouldn't have been able to drink it .

Not sure how I feel on the woo-wooness of asking the Universe (though hedging my bets by writing Universe with a capital ). However, I do know that if you talk to people (ridiculous concept I know ) and 'put what you want out there' (not necessarily specifically asking for something) things can happen. Just wrote a long post that bored me when I read it back so deleted it, let's just say I've a few examples of it working .
    Originally posted by gallygirl

Aw, that's a shame about the tea. I'm not sure how 'long' you're supposed to give it to 'kick in'. I know herbal medicines etc usually say 1 - 2 weeks, but I was very lucky with the tea, in that there was a discernable difference after the first cup, and it's worked pretty much since - although I've thwarted it several times by winding myself up like the town hall clock!

Yes, I think you're relating to 'universe' in a similar way to me. I think it is possibly as much about listening as 'communicating', and then joining the dots together - leading to what you asked for/desired/needed etc, perhaps being more (or seemingly more) readily available. I'm not too sure I'm into 'woo-woo' thinking where you just write your wish-list, sit back and watch it all fall in your lap tickety-boo. After all, sometimes what we most desire, isn't actually what we need.

Only pragmatic woo-woo thinking on this thread, please.

Greying X

• gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 14th Mar 18, 9:22 PM
    • 16,588 Posts
    • 109,533 Thanks
    gallygirl

Yes, I think you're relating to 'universe' in a similar way to me. I think it is possibly as much about listening as 'communicating', and then joining the dots together - leading to what you asked for/desired/needed etc, perhaps being more (or seemingly more) readily available. I'm not too sure I'm into 'woo-woo' thinking where you just write your wish-list, sit back and watch it all fall in your lap tickety-boo. After all, sometimes what we most desire, isn't actually what we need.
    I read that stupid book about asking the Universe. One thing that did stick with me was about positive thinking - e.g.keep thinking 'I don't want an alcohol dependent workshy n*bhead next time', your brain remembers 'alcohol dependent workshy n*bhead' and 'kerrching - there's a match'. Instead ask for a kind, loving man - a much nicer message and better to reinforce. Told my friend about it and it seems to have worked (she was very good at finding the former as well ).

Another friend had a New Year's Resolution to meet a man. Half an hour after midnight, out of the blue, she was being chatted up . Next time she's going to be more specific to rule out 70 year old drunken Spanish goatherds who can't speak any English .
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Mar 18, 9:29 PM
    • 53,923 Posts
    • 213,415 Thanks
    beanielou
    I read that stupid book about asking the Universe. One thing that did stick with me was about positive thinking - e.g.keep thinking 'I don't want an alcohol dependent workshy n*bhead next time', your brain remembers 'alcohol dependent workshy n*bhead' and 'kerrching - there's a match'. Instead ask for a kind, loving man - a much nicer message and better to reinforce. Told my friend about it and it seems to have worked (she was very good at finding the former as well ).

Another friend had a New Year's Resolution to meet a man. Half an hour after midnight, out of the blue, she was being chatted up . Next time she's going to be more specific to rule out 70 year old drunken Spanish goatherds who can't speak any English .
    Originally posted by gallygirl

I have heard that you do need to be very specific.
    Ok. So putting it out there.
    A nice helpful part time man for me. Solvent too
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 15th Mar 18, 8:18 AM
    • 2,175 Posts
    • 13,836 Thanks
    rtandon27
    LOL - Beanie sounds like you are asking for a plumber! - maybe an electrician - LOL
    1.5 YEARS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Still working hard to keep up the good habits!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Mar 18, 10:35 AM
    • 53,923 Posts
    • 213,415 Thanks
    beanielou
    LOL - Beanie sounds like you are asking for a plumber! - maybe an electrician - LOL
    Mmm. Good idea
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 15th Mar 18, 12:49 PM
    • 4,215 Posts
    • 47,012 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Afternoon

LOL - you leave your thread unattended for a moment and it becomes a match-making site!!

Pennies have been spent today. Some on some totally unecessary Easter stuff But it was sooooooo cute.............. We did buy fruit too, and and........ chocolate........ Ho hum, would have been better for the bank balance had I left my purse at home today I think!

Tea this evening is going to be a halloumi salad bowl, which will utilise the block of halloumi that I have in my fridge which I bought last month when entertaining my friend for lunch - we only used one block. I will also use up some frozen brown rice that I have, and some of my other store cupboard goodies. I was delighted to see yesterday that beetroot was in the S6 in mrAl, but I was less delighted to see it was........ 69p? For goodness sakes, how much does it retail for normally, 72p? 75p? MrAl is following mrL in losing the plot of 'special offers'. They must be relying on folk buying automatically because it is in the S6. Do mrAl shoppers, shop on autopilot?

Right, better go, as Baby Greying is perched on my lap - 'helping' to type...........

Greying X

• apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 15th Mar 18, 5:09 PM
    • 7,272 Posts
    • 54,710 Thanks
    apple muncher
    I almost bought a pack of beetroot from Mr L the other day, until I looked at the price: 90-something pence. I put it down rather quickly!
    NST May #1; NSD 12/19 ; Ex 16/20 ; craft 3/30 (66); remove 31 (402)
    2018 Pay off: £1626; 2
    018 sell

Mortgage £21,422 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 15th Mar 18, 7:44 PM
    • 4,776 Posts
    • 47,173 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    I had a quick price comparison. Aldi's 69p beetroot is 500g, Asda's is 300g. Which might explain it. The 69p pack is heavier than usual.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 15th Mar 18, 7:57 PM
    • 4,215 Posts
    • 47,012 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    I had a quick price comparison. Aldi's 69p beetroot is 500g, Asda's is 300g. Which might explain it. The 69p pack is heavier than usual.
    Originally posted by mcculloch29
    No, I disagree with you mcculloch - mrAl's beetroot is always 500g. Because when it was on S6 for 29p, which, iirc was February last year, it was double the size of the home bargains pack (250g) for exactly the same price. It has always been a bigger pack - whether on S6 or not. Normally, I thought it retailed for something like 72 or 75p, which is why I don't reckon much to the 69p price. I have 3 packs (500g) left over from the last time it was on super 6 - then if they don't do a better offer, I'll be back to the HB packs (250g) for 35p. They are French beetroot though - the last packs I got from mrAl were British produce.

Greying X

• mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 15th Mar 18, 9:31 PM
    • 4,776 Posts
    • 47,173 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Ah, rightyo, bang goes that theory. Mr Al's is still good value, but I get your point entirely.
    After the burst of 19p buys at Christmas, the S6 do seem to have settled at a higher level. Perhaps shortages caused by weather conditions might explain some of it.

Roll on the spring. Well done with the decluttering. I will have to start a renewed charge on this. My bro may be visiting in May, and he does like to find things to criticise, so my plan is to give him as little chance as possible. If he doesn't visit, then I've still done a needed declutter.

We haven't generally got an eastern mindset, so I take feng shui with a massive pinch of salt. My Japanese clients have different approaches to many things, compared to most people that I know. However, to have nothing that is not regularly used or admired would be good.
    Very good.
    We can but dream, and in the meantime, I can adjust my view of myself to the person I actually am, rather than the one I once wanted to be.
    Gourmet cookbooks can go, then... and a load of pans, dishes and devices I barely use.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

420Posts Today

4,985Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin