Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    • 4,215Posts
    • 47,022Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes
    • 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes 27th Oct 16 at 9:11 AM
    Hello

I think that the time may be right to start a new diary. So much has changed since I started my 2nd diary, which can be found HERE and we're a whole lifetime away from my first diary, which can be found HERE

Whilst my first 2 diaries concentrated on living a simple life, concentrating on debt-avoidance for my (then) DP and I, we had a 'bit' of a tumultuous 2015, which meant that my DP became my DH and we 'Two' became 3, with the safe arrival of Baby Greying

Our focus has changed dramatically. Far from contemplating 'downsizing' (a bit of a misnomer in terms of our house, honestly, I've been in bigger 'flats'! ) and somehow achieving early retirement; we now have a future focus that needs us to be super fit and active for as long as we can be. Also, as older first time parents, we are both committed to try to be in Baby Greying's life for as long as possible, without being a burden. Because whilst being older does have some distinct advantages when applied to parenting, there is no denying there's a downside too..............

Also, the economic climate is changing once again. Blame it on whatever you like, but there is always some reason why prices of x, y or z rise. There is always a reason why, when you find a way to combat inflation; someone comes along and changes the rules of the game. A good example of this is our wood burner. When we had it installed, we had access to a goodly amount of free wood, we both had the time and energy to process it and we could live with parts of the house being cold. Forward 10 years; more people have stoves - and are all chasing that 'free' wood, 'purchased' logs are now very expensive around here and we've no time to stack nor chop wood. It's become easier, and 'as expensive' to flick the on switch for the central heating....... a cleaner in-house option, that can keep the whole house a manageable temperature and Baby Greying at a safe and comfortable temperature.

Now it does matter if our hair-brained money saving wheezes make our teeth fall out or our toes freeze orf, because it impacts on our ability to look after Baby Greying in the now and in the future. Our health and well-being is a priority - but still not at any price. We want to have it all,;but with only a modest budget available, we're gonna have to get creative. I rarely shop in the 'big 4' supermercados. We purchase some things from mrL, some from mrAl. A smattering from mrW, mrT and m&$ (bananas mostly), with h0me bargins and h3ron f00ds being the sources of our regular shopping. We also have access to a food co-operative and I occasionally get to go to the next city along to get bulk purchases of pulses and spices.

Our focus now (that we've got over the shock of Baby Greying ) is to move on from Greying Towers. The long and short of it boils down to it not being the right environment for us to bring up a child here. There are nicer places. We need to find them. So a move is on the cards. However, some renovation of the towers is necessary, and whilst funding has always been an issue; now we have the added upheaval of trying to do work around a baby. Not impossible, but not ideal. It's also still proving impossible to find reliable tradespeople. We're looking for a plumber, again

The one thing that I've come to recognise with age is that there is always 'good stuff' in every life. Even when you're really going through the mill. There are good people, who say or do good things to help you. There are the wonders of nature to take in at every turn. There is humour everywhere, even if you have to look under a few rocks to find it. It is important to be thankful, even on the dark days. And I try to do that - and find writing it down, in my online diary a good exercise in stopping. And thinking.

We like food at Greying Towers. I write about it alot. I take pictures of me tea. We're vegetarian (at present) and so vegetables feature. Alot. When it's gifted HG produce, it's even better

So, do you fancy climbing aboard for the new adventure. Taking some time out to Fall apart in my backyard with Me, DH and BG?

Greying X
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 29-10-2016 at 8:24 AM.
    'Ich habe genug' 'Your Vibe attracts your Tribe'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
Page 117
    • starnac
    • By starnac 2nd Mar 18, 11:49 AM
    • 5,244 Posts
    • 24,613 Thanks
    starnac
    Aw what a lovely day Greying, BG sounds like they had a fab time. It makes the effort all worth it then doesn't it?

Hope DH is able to get to/from work safely and that you and BG are safe and warm
    Savings 0
    Shopping 24.82/200
    Overpayments made 0
    Make 2018 in 2018 #70 197/2018
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 2nd Mar 18, 11:52 AM
    • 2,175 Posts
    • 13,837 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Aww GP - a toddling tot in the snow sounds so sweet - what lovely memories!
    1.5 YEARS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Still working hard to keep up the good habits!
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 2nd Mar 18, 1:02 PM
    • 14,999 Posts
    • 99,047 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Aw catching up on here is just lovely reading.

Keep warm folks xxxx

Thanks for the dumpling recipe GP - I have to say I tend to revert to packet mix RT - I never use enough suet to justify buying it and then feed it to the birds. The packets are cheap and whilst I don't buy much premixed, they serve the dumpling craving purpose here beautifully. Although I'm sure I could FREEZE the suet - maybe one day I'll be brave and try to do my own.

Keep warm folkies

XX
    Overdraft 1 1000/0, Overdraft 2 1000/1000 , Cancelled
    Credit Card 1 = 0, Credit Card 2 2710.57/925
    Total Debt as of 6/8/2017 5755.40 eek:
    Total debt 26/4/18 <1925
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 2nd Mar 18, 3:14 PM
    • 2,175 Posts
    • 13,837 Thanks
    rtandon27
    How did I miss your dumpling advice GP?!?

Thank-you for the link! I have no clue what fat Scottish Aunty used but I do remember how dry the dough was so your advice is spot on! Makes sense as the moistness must come from being steamed on top of the stew. As we never buy moo but do buy cluck (more budget friendly), I shall give dumplings a go using something like solid Crisc0 - I think it's called Tr3x on this side of the pond!

Pips if I remember correctly, you can freeze and then grate solid fats, and then return them to the freezer to use as needed - easier to incorporate into cooking without having to defrost first!
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 2nd Mar 18, 3:51 PM
    • 4,215 Posts
    • 47,022 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    How did I miss your dumpling advice GP?!?

Thank-you for the link! I have no clue what fat Scottish Aunty used but I do remember how dry the dough was so your advice is spot on! Makes sense as the moistness must come from being steamed on top of the stew. As we never buy moo but do buy cluck (more budget friendly), I shall give dumplings a go using something like solid Crisc0 - I think it's called Tr3x on this side of the pond!

Pips if I remember correctly, you can freeze and then grate solid fats, and then return them to the freezer to use as needed - easier to incorporate into cooking without having to defrost first!
    Originally posted by rtandon27
    rtandon - iirc - isn't tr3x vegetarian? Or you can get a veggie version of it? I can't remember what recipe it was...... I'm thinking pastry for mince pies (sweet) that Memorygirl used to post, and I know she used tr3x, because meat-eaters or veggies could then eat the pies (I assume no suet in the mincemeat - or veggie suet) , so I'm pretty sure it would work dandy. When I get the recipe right, even olive oil works to make dumplings, so it doesn't have to be full-blown meaty suet, if you don't want it to be hth.

Greying X

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 3rd Mar 18, 7:02 AM
    • 4,215 Posts
    • 47,022 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

I'm not too sure if we've had lots of snow in the night, or some snow and lots of blow(ing) about of that which was here already But there is quite a bit of it about.

I would have achieved a nsd yesterday, but DH called into mrL on the off-chance, and picked up some bread and milk. So I owe him for those purchases, but currently have no change, as I've spent nowt of my March budget.

Tea last night was very much a hodge-podge. We had fish fingers, which are a Greying Family favourite (highbrow we ain't ), and which BG calls 'fingy's'. Which given they are described merely as 'omega 3' probably aptly describes the 'any fing' in them......... I cooked up some baked tatties, the last of the broccoli all combined (mrAl & mrL bags - the mrAl bags had a lot of bits.......) and a tin of mushy peas. Either mrL have changed their supplier for mushy peas, or I got an 'end of shift' tin, which was definitely more 'mush' that 'YPeas'........

Tea this evening will be bottom of the freezer curry - who knows what is in there???? - with dhal and rice.

Can't think of owt else to witter on about - apart from I shall probably be spending very little by keeping out of the shops, and keeping out of the great outdoors generally

Greying X

• mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 3rd Mar 18, 8:47 AM
    • 4,776 Posts
    • 47,173 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    I enjoyed my catch up of your day in the snow. I am glad you took the camera, pictures of my two playing in the snow are still treasured and smiled over, over 30 years later.

I have just been perusing Jack Monroes blog, and discovered they have switched supermarkets, to Mr. A.
    Mr L or Mr Al probably would not meet the needs of a vegan household, but it makes sense. They are off Twitter anyway, had this been the case a year or two ago, the latest book would probably be long published.
    I crowdfunded a library copy, which is not on the catalogue online yet, but hopefully it will have been sent.
    Have a lovely day. Our snow is keeping me in.
    PS.
    Something that may benefit some, and I am spreading the word, if you are sent a cheque, and have no bank locally, you can now pay it in online via an online banking app and a Smartphone camera.

I did this yesterday. Could not pay in a Premium Bond win, but I did pay in a cheque that has been sat in my waist pack since December, waiting for me to cycle past the bank and stop, rather than just cycle past. It is very easy to do.
    EDIT The MSE apostrophe curse has struck my phone. Hence Monroe minus apostrophe s.
    Last edited by mcculloch29; 03-03-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 3rd Mar 18, 9:44 AM
    • 4,215 Posts
    • 47,022 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    I have just been perusing Jack Monroes blog, and discovered they have switched supermarkets, to Mr. A.
    Mr L or Mr Al probably would not meet the needs of a vegan household, but it makes sense. They are off Twitter anyway, had this been the case a year or two ago, the latest book would probably be long published.

Originally posted by mcculloch29
    I'm obviously behind the times - I thought that mrA was advocated long-time since? I didn't realise Al & L had crept in? I knew mrS had gone by the wayside, for a variety of reasons, that included a housing relocation. I think a vegan would stay hungry relying on our mrA. They don't really stock 'food'.

I'm also confused - is the crowd-funded book published, or not? This is another budget concious book, isn't it? Or is it wholly vegan? I'll admit to not keeping up with events totally, since posting got intermittent, I've kinda lost track - and I'm not a follower of anyone on any other type of social meedja, so easily lose track if it's not totally food related.........

Greying X

• rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 3rd Mar 18, 3:47 PM
    • 2,175 Posts
    • 13,837 Thanks
    rtandon27
    ...Tea this evening will be bottom of the freezer curry - who knows what is in there???? - with dhal and rice...
    Originally posted by Greying Pilgrim
    We've been freezer diving too! - Have made some soup, done some baking & stock is on the boil! Also found some oat pancakes/crepes which we had with the last of the butter & marmalade for breakfast! Love a good freezer clean-out!
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 3rd Mar 18, 7:33 PM
    • 4,215 Posts
    • 47,022 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening

rtandon - we didn't have as much of interest in our freezer I dug out some mugg (scroll down for recipe), lots of dhal and boiled up some basmati. It was a 'good enough' tea

Well, we did end up getting out and about today - for which I am grateful. I felt better going out with BG and DH rather than on my own. We picked up the shopping, that was on the list - due to it being the start of the month - and I was surprised at how well stocked the shops were. Delivery drivers must have made a supreme effort to get around. DH had picked up some things from the supermercado this morning - again, 'list' stuff due to it being the month start. So money has been spent.

I've had some nice communications from friends - good to see what everyone else is up to and how they are getting along

I had a snooze myself this afternoon - DH was looking after BG - who then went for a snooze themselves anyway, I ended up falling asleep in the chair - awkwardly - twice and then managed to move to the sofa and had a few extra winks before DH batted on about needing to wash socks..........

DH finally listened to me and bled a radiator that has had an air lock in it for at least a day. Apparently I was 'right' and he sat there for 2 minutes getting the air out........ And yes, dear reader, I could have done it myself, but...........

Right, today I am grateful for these 3 things;

Getting out and about with my family

sufficient stocks of what I wanted

us all staying upright!

Ta for popping by. Appreciated.

Greying X

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Mar 18, 7:53 PM
    • 53,926 Posts
    • 213,532 Thanks
    beanielou
    Needing to wash socks
    Glad you had a good day
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 4th Mar 18, 10:30 AM
    • 1,200 Posts
    • 9,901 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Having given it two weeks to be sure it wasn't a fluke I just wanted to say the tea is working . Thank you so much for the tip, I feel so much brighter

Your day in the snow with your little one sound lovely. Hope things are improving where you are, its definitely better here today

Thanks again

PP xx
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 4th Mar 18, 12:02 PM
    • 4,215 Posts
    • 47,022 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Having given it two weeks to be sure it wasn't a fluke I just wanted to say the tea is working . Thank you so much for the tip, I feel so much brighter

Originally posted by pinkypig
    Aw, that's great news pinkypig - but it is gien that deserves our thanks and praise, as they originally talked about val3r1an and hops in relation to what we were experiencing.

Yes, definitely better here too - although I can't say 'brighter' as the sky is grey and overcast We have had some rain - which has removed some snow and made mucho slush. We'll be for it if we have another hard freeze.

The weather has disrupted yet another weekend, I cannot deny. We're into March already, and have done precisely nothing on the house The decluttering is ongoing, and ruthless is my middle name when doing it, but passing it on to chazzers or elsewhere has been curtailed by the weather. And I'd be the first to say that we've not had it half as bad as many - so I'm not complaining, as such, just airing frustration I think.

Tea this evening is going to be toad in the hole, using some of the chickpea and mushroom sausages that i made from YS'd mushies the other day. I need to roast some parsnips (mrAl S6) and some carrots too, so that I can have a bash at another 'flavour' of the savoury bread recipe. There will also be mash, roasties, veg and gravy for tea. A proper 'roast' for a change, as we don't need the convenience factor.

I actually sat down and watched a prog DH had recorded for me last night - it was the BBC2 programme about Rome that AGD and Georgio did in January. I've watched 1 episode of 2. I fell in love with the markets though - such produce - in the middle of the city too...... mmmm.

I'm hopeful we'll get out for a toddle later. Today should be another nsd - we don't need anything.

Ta for popping by. Appreciated.

Greying X

• Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 4th Mar 18, 12:13 PM
    • 8,124 Posts
    • 40,057 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Mmm, toad in the hole

We are reaching the stage in our house move where we should probably start eating real food again We've survived for a week (in fact longer, as we weren't cooking much in the last few days at the old house) by foraging - toast, porridge, oatcakes, ryvitas, cheese, raw carrots etc, but it would be nice to do something proper soon... We did have some tasty soup one day But I shall be inspired by your cheery cooking to try something else

Of course, our stocks of actual *food* are dwindling and becoming more bizarre, as we haven't been able to get to a supermarket since Tuesday, and weren't aware at that point that we would be housebound for a week But we have lots of onions and potatoes, a couple of tins of beans, a tin of tomatoes, some mushrooms and cabbage, so we won't starve yet

Might knock up a curry or something

Need to start thinking about meals for work too and start thinking about WORK in general Feels very far away

Glad you were able to get out and about Greying even if your house efforts are being hampered by the weather - I know the feeling
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 4th Mar 18, 6:38 PM
    • 14,999 Posts
    • 99,047 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Hey up all Cheery I'm sure you'll do grand and enjoy being holed up a bit more you'll certainly not starve.

And, given our snowed in for 4 and a bit days, the shops round here look like some sort of zombie apocolipic event so well done to your drivers GP and cheery don't be surprised if there's not much on the shelves.

It honestly looks like some kind of shop emptying rampage escapade this side, no sign of milk or fresh bread at all never mind all the empty shelves.

Although I think anyone veggie or vegan be fine, clearly there hasn't been a run on anything green, vegetable based or crunchy.

Love some flingers GP - fave in this household.
    Overdraft 1 1000/0, Overdraft 2 1000/1000 , Cancelled
    Credit Card 1 = 0, Credit Card 2 2710.57/925
    Total Debt as of 6/8/2017 5755.40 eek:
    Total debt 26/4/18 <1925
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 4th Mar 18, 7:01 PM
    • 4,215 Posts
    • 47,022 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim

It honestly looks like some kind of shop emptying rampage escapade this side, no sign of milk or fresh bread at all never mind all the empty shelves.

Although I think anyone veggie or vegan be fine, clearly there hasn't been a run on anything green, vegetable based or crunchy.
    Originally posted by Pippilongstocking
    *snort*

Greying X

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 4th Mar 18, 8:05 PM
    • 4,215 Posts
    • 47,022 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening

Yes, it's a strange one - bread and milk, being bought up in any weather scenario or worse...... It is interesting that DH was more worried about getting enough bread and milk (not hoarding), than I was. Although I appreciate that it's more important to him, as he eats/uses both. I can quite happily go without milk, BG doesn't like it and as for bread, well, we do eat bread, but not masses, and can certainly do without for a period of time. Still, I don't mind folk purchasing stuff, as long as they use it. It's when it's bought - for whatever reason - and then thrown away when the 'crisis' period is over. There are people in war-torn areas and disaster hit parts of the world, who don't have that choice.

We got out and about for a toddle and a breath of fresh air It was the right thing to do The weather wasn't brilliant, but we were wrapped up warmly and even though it came to rain, lightly, on our return, we were dry in our waterproofs.

I can legitimately claim a nsd today

Tea was as slated. I think - nay hope - that it can be deemed our 'end of winter feast' as if we have to eat like that again before next autumn, I would need to invest in considerably bigger pants, or do alot more of this The 'sausages' weren't the best idea for toad in the hole - they were a bit too like...... stuffing? in the yorkie batter mix. Veggie sausages (bought) are a better option. But it reminded me that they do make great sausage rolls, and I have some puff pastry in the freezer, so I'm going to definitely make some so that we can have them for picnics when the better weather arrives Roast potatoes and roast parsnips and mashed potato are always a good idea, along with steamed carrots and broccoli. MrAl onion gravy completed the feast. I did not make, nor need, pud

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

BG's continued development
    - it's new actions/words everyday at the minute

A walk out and about, listening to birds, pointing things out and striding with confidence

The right clothing and footwear

Ta for popping in and chatting. Appreciated.

Greying X

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Mar 18, 8:13 PM
    • 53,926 Posts
    • 213,532 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad that you got out for a wee toodle.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 4th Mar 18, 10:25 PM
    • 4,994 Posts
    • 28,755 Thanks
    in need of direction
    I'd always concentrate on getting bread and milk. Two necessary ingredients of tea and toast.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 119,481.83 today 75,897.72, target 65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today 227.27 target 5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund 0.7/5.5k & 200/200 cash.
    Current weight loss RUBBISH need to refocus
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 5th Mar 18, 7:45 AM
    • 4,215 Posts
    • 47,022 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

I'd always concentrate on getting bread and milk. Two necessary ingredients of tea and toast.
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    Ah, see that's why I don't understand - I'm not a tea drinker really and I can as easily drink coffee black, as with a splash of milk. And whilst I do have a slice of toast for breakfast, it's never my 'goto' food. But as I say, I don't have a problem with folk buying foodstuffs that they use (at any time), it's when it's bought mindlessly.

Right, Monday morn. Another week has left the starting gate.

I have some bits and pieces on my shopping list that could be picked up today. It'll certainly get us out and about. It looks like the weather might be OK today - the sun is certainly rising, long may it stick around.

Tea this evening is not yet set - there is a gap in my planner. I'll have a think on and come up with something, as we've sufficient food. I think I was just cautious of allocating things, just in case we're not out of the woods weatherwise yet.

Other than that, I'm not sure I've got owt else to report today.

Ta for popping in. Appreciated.

Greying X

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,714Posts Today

7,918Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin