Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    • 4,272Posts
    • 47,724Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes
    • 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes 27th Oct 16 at 9:11 AM
    Hello

I think that the time may be right to start a new diary. So much has changed since I started my 2nd diary, which can be found HERE and we're a whole lifetime away from my first diary, which can be found HERE

Whilst my first 2 diaries concentrated on living a simple life, concentrating on debt-avoidance for my (then) DP and I, we had a 'bit' of a tumultuous 2015, which meant that my DP became my DH and we 'Two' became 3, with the safe arrival of Baby Greying

Our focus has changed dramatically. Far from contemplating 'downsizing' (a bit of a misnomer in terms of our house, honestly, I've been in bigger 'flats'! ) and somehow achieving early retirement; we now have a future focus that needs us to be super fit and active for as long as we can be. Also, as older first time parents, we are both committed to try to be in Baby Greying's life for as long as possible, without being a burden. Because whilst being older does have some distinct advantages when applied to parenting, there is no denying there's a downside too..............

Also, the economic climate is changing once again. Blame it on whatever you like, but there is always some reason why prices of x, y or z rise. There is always a reason why, when you find a way to combat inflation; someone comes along and changes the rules of the game. A good example of this is our wood burner. When we had it installed, we had access to a goodly amount of free wood, we both had the time and energy to process it and we could live with parts of the house being cold. Forward 10 years; more people have stoves - and are all chasing that 'free' wood, 'purchased' logs are now very expensive around here and we've no time to stack nor chop wood. It's become easier, and 'as expensive' to flick the on switch for the central heating....... a cleaner in-house option, that can keep the whole house a manageable temperature and Baby Greying at a safe and comfortable temperature.

Now it does matter if our hair-brained money saving wheezes make our teeth fall out or our toes freeze orf, because it impacts on our ability to look after Baby Greying in the now and in the future. Our health and well-being is a priority - but still not at any price. We want to have it all,;but with only a modest budget available, we're gonna have to get creative. I rarely shop in the 'big 4' supermercados. We purchase some things from mrL, some from mrAl. A smattering from mrW, mrT and m&$ (bananas mostly), with h0me bargins and h3ron f00ds being the sources of our regular shopping. We also have access to a food co-operative and I occasionally get to go to the next city along to get bulk purchases of pulses and spices.

Our focus now (that we've got over the shock of Baby Greying ) is to move on from Greying Towers. The long and short of it boils down to it not being the right environment for us to bring up a child here. There are nicer places. We need to find them. So a move is on the cards. However, some renovation of the towers is necessary, and whilst funding has always been an issue; now we have the added upheaval of trying to do work around a baby. Not impossible, but not ideal. It's also still proving impossible to find reliable tradespeople. We're looking for a plumber, again

The one thing that I've come to recognise with age is that there is always 'good stuff' in every life. Even when you're really going through the mill. There are good people, who say or do good things to help you. There are the wonders of nature to take in at every turn. There is humour everywhere, even if you have to look under a few rocks to find it. It is important to be thankful, even on the dark days. And I try to do that - and find writing it down, in my online diary a good exercise in stopping. And thinking.

We like food at Greying Towers. I write about it alot. I take pictures of me tea. We're vegetarian (at present) and so vegetables feature. Alot. When it's gifted HG produce, it's even better

So, do you fancy climbing aboard for the new adventure. Taking some time out to Fall apart in my backyard with Me, DH and BG?

Greying X
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 29-10-2016 at 8:24 AM.
    'Ich habe genug' 'Your Vibe attracts your Tribe'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
Page 112
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 12th Feb 18, 10:21 AM
    • 1,616 Posts
    • 14,087 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Another who agrees, I don't really follow any recipes Make it up as I go along with what I have in/what's cheap and cheerful.

Have a lovely day

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Feb 18, 10:31 AM
    • 55,015 Posts
    • 219,637 Thanks
    beanielou
    Have a good week Grayling & friends
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 13th Feb 18, 7:13 AM
    • 4,272 Posts
    • 47,724 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

I agree about 'doing your own thing' when it comes to cooking. I do think that sometimes, people 'writing' recipes don't actually know anything about cooking and sometimes are cribbing recipes from elsewhere, but in an attempt to differentiate it 'as their own', just add in a pile more ingredients. Anyway, the soup was made, with the ingredients that I had - and I shan't bother again. I think celeriac over-rated and as I paid through the nose for it (even YS'd) from M&$, then I definitely won't bother again. I did add in butter beans to my soup to up the protein content. There was enough for tea and a portion left for my lunch. It was perfectly edible, but not the best thing I have ever shoved in my gob, and as there were expensive ingredients in it (celeriac and parsnips), I shan't bother to transfer it to my recipe index.

We've a few bits and pieces to pick up today. So money will be spent.

I've decided, on the back of a successful 'dry january' to eschew alcohol for lent. I've never really given up anything for lent before, so it'll be a bit of a first for me. But I enjoyed saving the money in January - not that we spend a huge amount on booze - and can see other things that could be bought with the saved money, if I was successful for lent. I don't expect DH to join me - but he's only likely to have a beer when watching an england rugger match, so it's no biggie. I've had a bit of alcohol, since February started, and I haven't been particularly bothered about it, and it's not important in my life, so let's save some cash!

Pancakes tonight! And a salad bowl for tea, to keep things light.

Right, mustache. DH has got to go off early this morn, so it's all hands to the decks to look after BG

Ta for popping in. Appreciated.

Greying X

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 13th Feb 18, 12:07 PM
    • 1,616 Posts
    • 14,087 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Hands up I forgot the kids will want pancakes for dinner ...
    Fajita pancakes anyone?

Have a lovely day

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 13th Feb 18, 3:27 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 1,041 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Hello GP! I'm not meaning to piggy back your diary but I thought I'd share a pancake recipe to you and your lovely readers which I have simplified to be more budget friendly than some healthy eating blogger (who was using all kinds of fancy gluten free flours etc. that are ludicrously expensive!) No measurements as it's a simple recipe you can add to/save leftovers if you make too much batter.

Plain vegan crepes:
    Sieved Plain Flour
    Unsweetened Soy Milk (the cheapest plant milk in my experience
    Sprinkle of Baking Powder
    Splash of cooking oil of your choice
    Salt & Pepper to taste
    Oregano
    Mix all ingredients together until they coat the back of a spoon, cook as you would any other crepe!

Vegan Bechamel Sauce with Spinach:
    Non-Dairy butter of your choosing
    Plain Flour
    Unsweetened Soy Milk
    Nutritional Yeast
    Veggie Bouillon/Stock Cube
    Frozen/Fresh Spinach
    Salt & Pepper to taste (I do half regular salt, half celery salt)

Make a roux with the butter and plain flour, add the milk slowly whisking as you go, add in nutritional yeast to taste, sprinkle in some bouillon powder or a veggie stock cube, add the spinach last stirring well. Layer the crepes and sauce in a baking tin and place in to the oven for about 10-15 minutes at 180C (you can just have them as they are but I like to bake mine so they make a crepe lasagne!) I make the bechamel for pasta and vegan lasagne all the time and my other half adores it and often asks for it! I add some dairy cheese to mine but have opted not to in the past and no complaints!

Weighing in to the kettle debate, I used an old morphy richards kettle throughout uni that was in fact 14 years old, it finally gave up the ghost at the end of university. I bought another morphy richards kettle which I have now had for 7 years and has a lovely pouring spout, I got it on sale for £34 and I think I'm forever a loyal morphy customer for my water of the boiled variety!

I hope you have a lovely evening! xx
    Last edited by sauceoclock; 13-02-2018 at 3:30 PM.
    Loan: £3,600 £2,179.70
    Credit Card: £1,758.95 £1,433.95
    Goal Debt-Free Date: February 2019
    Rainy-Day £6,000: £760
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Feb 18, 6:56 PM
    • 55,015 Posts
    • 219,637 Thanks
    beanielou
    Enjoy your pancakes

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 13th Feb 18, 7:56 PM
    • 4,272 Posts
    • 47,724 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening

Aw thanks sauceoclock - that looks some mighty fine eating

Enjoy your pancakes
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Thanks love, we did - be-ro pouring batter and lemon with a sprinkle of sugar BG turned their nose up - but I thought they would, they don't seem to like the texture of pancakes

'Mains' was a salad bowl, that ended up being a bit more robust than I intended We had marinated lentils, steamed quinoa, morrocan beetroot & carrot pickle, savoy cabbage slaw with asian dressing and falafel! The united nations on a plate I think the dressing on the cabbage was a flavour step too far, and in hind-sight, should have just left the cabbage naked, but there you go

We pootled around today and went to the library in the community hub. It's really nice in there and they often have some pretty spiffy book choices There is plenty of space and it is severely underused, so there was room for BG to move the furniture about, wave at random service-users and pick a million children's books off the shelves........ Hurrah for public libraries

We picked up a few bits and pieces from mrAl and mrT, but forgot to get the TV guide and a (winning) euro mi££ions ticket. Ah well.

Today i am grateful for these 3 things;

public libraries

a change of scene

some new (library) books
    - no guessing what subject.......

Ta for popping in and discussing pancakes. Appreciated.

Greying X

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Feb 18, 8:13 PM
    • 55,015 Posts
    • 219,637 Thanks
    beanielou
    Public libraries are just the thing.
    LOve the library

***Keep plodding***
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 13th Feb 18, 8:31 PM
    • 1,776 Posts
    • 10,738 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Libraries are wonderful places, I spent most of my early teens poking around in ours.
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 13th Feb 18, 8:55 PM
    • 2,196 Posts
    • 14,005 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Most of my favorite people are librarians!
    1 YEAR & 7 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Juggling the pots to keep in the black!
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 13th Feb 18, 9:17 PM
    • 1,815 Posts
    • 5,147 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    I've just been reading through some of your diary...would love to read a lot more but just don't have the time. I love the fact you include gratitude in your posts. It's something I could do with practicing more.

Subbed
    My debt-free diary
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 13th Feb 18, 10:57 PM
    • 4,771 Posts
    • 47,173 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    I managed to have pancakes today, and was so chuffed with myself.
    I didn't have any eggs, nor enough milk, so I tried bicarb in the flour and whey protein for the protein from the egg white, with water instead of milk. Worked a treat, lovely fluffy pancakes, much lighter than my usual flat crepes made with plain flour. Doing that again. I'd steeled myself for 'Oh they won't be as good, but at least it will be a pancake', and dang me, they were better.
    Apparently aqua faba makes great meringues as well. I don't eat a lot of eggs, but I do make pancakes a lot, not just on Shrove Tuesday. They are a regular Saturday morning treat - that's what my last, way out of date egg was used up on, on Saturday morning.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 14th Feb 18, 1:03 AM
    • 1,709 Posts
    • 2,305 Thanks
    badmemory
    If there is one thing in my life I can guarantee it is that my DS will eat pancakes on Shrove Tuesday. The mix makes 6ish & he eats 5 & I have the dogends. 50/50 milk/water is totally acceptable & as for eggs well that's a best before date surely & not a use by date. Sssshhh don't tell DS. Some use by/best before dates I "remove" before he can see them as he can be a little ******** about them.
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 14th Feb 18, 3:35 PM
    • 4,272 Posts
    • 47,724 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    as for eggs well that's a best before date surely & not a use by date. Sssshhh don't tell DS. Some use by/best before dates I "remove" before he can see them as he can be a little ******** about them.
    Originally posted by badmemory
    Whilst I totally agree with you about being 'sensible' about best before dates, I'm not so sure that alot of the eggs - from the type of places that I buy them from - are as 'farm fresh' as they once were. I had my first ever really bad egg last year - I'm talking greeny black inside and that was in date and from the high street shop with all the food-alls........ albeit in their 'economy' range. The fact that eggs burst when boiling, indicates that they have 'air' in them - eggs get more air in them the older they are. I've had eggs burst on the day I've bought them - which indicates that they have been 'somewhere' for a length of time before coming home in my shopping basket. That is also why I refuse to buy eggs covered in chicken $hyt3, as egg shells are pourous and things can - potentially - be absorbed into the egg. Which is why all these top chefs put a truffle in their egg cartons.

So yes, I agree, just because an egg is 'past' some notional date, there is no need to ditch it, but I always, now, proceed with greater caution.

We deposited our food bank donation in the box today - there was room

I did have a chuckle to myself this morning on seeing someone I know shopping in mrAl. There is nowt wrong with mrAl - and to give this person due credit, many moons ago, they shopped at mrAl, when it was very much a 'discount' store - the items weren't individually priced, the stock was stacked cheek by jowl and the till assistants had to remember the price of all the stock by memory! So, you could have knocked me over with a feather when a few years later, we were discussing 'discounters' and they huffily and puffily claimed to be a 'mrS' shopper, through and through, claimed not to have set foot in a mrAl store and made me feel very small by some additional comments, denegrating my choice of retailer......... Fast forward to today, and they are in mrAl, filling their shopping trolley like there's gonna be snowstorm Seriously it doesn't bother me where folks shop - but why lie? I hope they have just seen the light and not that their circumstances have changed, adversely, in any way......... I did, however, not bother to engage them in conversation - I think those days have passed.

I've no idea what to make for tea, as DH needs to be collected, and I've no time to make anything now (plans altered). Just took time out to look in the freezer - cottage pie it is, and I'll do veg to accompany

Right best vamoose. BG is napping - after being awake and a livewire all day - and I need to make headway.

Greying X

• ZTD
    • By ZTD 14th Feb 18, 6:12 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,866 Thanks
    ZTD
    So yes, I agree, just because an egg is 'past' some notional date, there is no need to ditch it, but I always, now, proceed with greater caution.
    Originally posted by Greying Pilgrim
    More for the general audience, but if you're uncertain (or even if certain) about eggs, put them in water. If they float, they can float into the bin, and if they sink like a rock, then they're very fresh.

If they're chirping, then the supply chain is a touch too long.

I did have a chuckle to myself this morning on seeing someone I know shopping in mrAl. There is nowt wrong with mrAl - and to give this person due credit, many moons ago, they shopped at mrAl, when it was very much a 'discount' store - the items weren't individually priced, the stock was stacked cheek by jowl and the till assistants had to remember the price of all the stock by memory! So, you could have knocked me over with a feather when a few years later, we were discussing 'discounters' and they huffily and puffily claimed to be a 'mrS' shopper, through and through, claimed not to have set foot in a mrAl store and made me feel very small by some additional comments, denegrating my choice of retailer......... Fast forward to today, and they are in mrAl, filling their shopping trolley like there's gonna be snowstorm Seriously it doesn't bother me where folks shop - but why lie? I hope they have just seen the light and not that their circumstances have changed, adversely, in any way......... I did, however, not bother to engage them in conversation - I think those days have passed.
    The days of satisfying your own curiosity have passed?

You could have got a light from the hardware bit to shine in their face during the interrogation...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 15th Feb 18, 5:13 AM
    • 1,815 Posts
    • 5,147 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    I'm proud to shop at discount stores and buy non-branded items. I think we live in a culture though where it's emphasised to people that branded must be good and cheap must be nasty. I guess that's how these places make their money though
    My debt-free diary
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 15th Feb 18, 6:59 AM
    • 4,272 Posts
    • 47,724 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

We've a trip out today to look forward to We're gunna go and see some snowdrops hook up with a friend and dine out at a very reasonably priced local FE college cafeteria. Today will be a low-cost spend, rather than a no-cost.

I need to contact another friend and sort out a lunchdate, which has been disrupted due to snotfactors (ours, not theirs )

I need to do my meal-plan for the next week, as I haven't done it, and have no clue what is 'for us tea'. It can't be anything complicated, as I'm out for a large chunk of the day, and may yet have to do further running around.

Tea last night was l/o cottage pie, broccoli and green beans with mrAl onion gravy. I couldn't be bothered to go to mrT to get veggie gravy granules and mrAl don't do them. The gravy was ok - I'm not terribly convinced it 'oozed' of onion flavour, but it was perfectly edible. I wouldn't rush to buy it again, but will certainly finish up the container I have bought, and would buy it if I needed to in the future.

I hear in the news that 'ultra-processed' foods are now in the firing line for causing cancer, and with middle-aged women being most at risk. A good time to be giving my diet an overhaul I think.

My alcohol-free lent is going well <---- smug. But that's no biggie, as we rarely drink alcohol midweek anyway, so I've achieved nowt! i see mwc is really biting the bullet and giving up chocolate too! Respect I like to think that I eat very little chocolate anyway, and only 'need' it at a certain point in any month. However, i realised that I mindlessly ate a chocolate biscuit and a kitty katty yesterday, so that clearly isn't true!

Right, best shift a tail feather.

Greying X

• UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 15th Feb 18, 7:41 AM
    • 1,469 Posts
    • 8,230 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Have a grand day
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 15th Feb 18, 10:13 AM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,866 Thanks
    ZTD
    I'm proud to shop at discount stores and buy non-branded items. I think we live in a culture though where it's emphasised to people that branded must be good and cheap must be nasty. I guess that's how these places make their money though
    Originally posted by Lilith1980
    Originally, branding really kicked off in the Victoria era where food adulteration was a real problem. Branded foods were a "guarantee" that what you were eating, is what it said you were eating.

Fast forward to today, and you have the problem of brands running into financial difficulties and being bought (either the whole company or just the right to use the name).

Venture capitalists come in, cut costs to the bone, and make a lot of profit. If you're selling kinder eggs at kinder costs, but faberge prices - you will make a lot of money, and share prices will rise stratospherically. Eventually people get wise, and the companies can only sell them for kinder prices, but the venture capitalists have long gone at that point.

Many brands are indeed worth it, but you do need to trawl through a lot of reviews/have your own harsh experience to know.

I hear in the news that 'ultra-processed' foods are now in the firing line for causing cancer, and with middle-aged women being most at risk. A good time to be giving my diet an overhaul I think.
    Even reading the BBC report on the study, it's plainly obvious it's junk. A "we got headlines, so give us money for a follow-up study" kind of report.

You'd get more 'skillful' recommendations from a torn tea bag.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 15th Feb 18, 12:07 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 1,041 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    On the gravy front, Bisto beef gravy is veggie and vegan friendly it might not be to your taste but my local Mr Al had it for 69p a couple of weeks ago so we stocked up. I'm used to it as it's the gravy my Mum used when we were growing up (well, the Mr T version which at the time was just bisto rebranded!!)

Have a lovely day, the sun is SHINING. Congrats on no alcohol, I don't drink at all and after about a month I stopped noticing the lack of gin fuelling my weeks! xx
    Loan: £3,600 £2,179.70
    Credit Card: £1,758.95 £1,433.95
    Goal Debt-Free Date: February 2019
    Rainy-Day £6,000: £760
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,127Posts Today

7,835Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin