Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    • 4,283Posts
    • 47,842Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes
    • 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes 27th Oct 16 at 9:11 AM
    Hello

I think that the time may be right to start a new diary. So much has changed since I started my 2nd diary, which can be found HERE and we're a whole lifetime away from my first diary, which can be found HERE

Whilst my first 2 diaries concentrated on living a simple life, concentrating on debt-avoidance for my (then) DP and I, we had a 'bit' of a tumultuous 2015, which meant that my DP became my DH and we 'Two' became 3, with the safe arrival of Baby Greying

Our focus has changed dramatically. Far from contemplating 'downsizing' (a bit of a misnomer in terms of our house, honestly, I've been in bigger 'flats'! ) and somehow achieving early retirement; we now have a future focus that needs us to be super fit and active for as long as we can be. Also, as older first time parents, we are both committed to try to be in Baby Greying's life for as long as possible, without being a burden. Because whilst being older does have some distinct advantages when applied to parenting, there is no denying there's a downside too..............

Also, the economic climate is changing once again. Blame it on whatever you like, but there is always some reason why prices of x, y or z rise. There is always a reason why, when you find a way to combat inflation; someone comes along and changes the rules of the game. A good example of this is our wood burner. When we had it installed, we had access to a goodly amount of free wood, we both had the time and energy to process it and we could live with parts of the house being cold. Forward 10 years; more people have stoves - and are all chasing that 'free' wood, 'purchased' logs are now very expensive around here and we've no time to stack nor chop wood. It's become easier, and 'as expensive' to flick the on switch for the central heating....... a cleaner in-house option, that can keep the whole house a manageable temperature and Baby Greying at a safe and comfortable temperature.

Now it does matter if our hair-brained money saving wheezes make our teeth fall out or our toes freeze orf, because it impacts on our ability to look after Baby Greying in the now and in the future. Our health and well-being is a priority - but still not at any price. We want to have it all,;but with only a modest budget available, we're gonna have to get creative. I rarely shop in the 'big 4' supermercados. We purchase some things from mrL, some from mrAl. A smattering from mrW, mrT and m&$ (bananas mostly), with h0me bargins and h3ron f00ds being the sources of our regular shopping. We also have access to a food co-operative and I occasionally get to go to the next city along to get bulk purchases of pulses and spices.

Our focus now (that we've got over the shock of Baby Greying ) is to move on from Greying Towers. The long and short of it boils down to it not being the right environment for us to bring up a child here. There are nicer places. We need to find them. So a move is on the cards. However, some renovation of the towers is necessary, and whilst funding has always been an issue; now we have the added upheaval of trying to do work around a baby. Not impossible, but not ideal. It's also still proving impossible to find reliable tradespeople. We're looking for a plumber, again

The one thing that I've come to recognise with age is that there is always 'good stuff' in every life. Even when you're really going through the mill. There are good people, who say or do good things to help you. There are the wonders of nature to take in at every turn. There is humour everywhere, even if you have to look under a few rocks to find it. It is important to be thankful, even on the dark days. And I try to do that - and find writing it down, in my online diary a good exercise in stopping. And thinking.

We like food at Greying Towers. I write about it alot. I take pictures of me tea. We're vegetarian (at present) and so vegetables feature. Alot. When it's gifted HG produce, it's even better

So, do you fancy climbing aboard for the new adventure. Taking some time out to Fall apart in my backyard with Me, DH and BG?

Greying X
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 29-10-2016 at 8:24 AM.
    'Ich habe genug' 'Your Vibe attracts your Tribe'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
Page 111
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 9th Feb 18, 7:35 PM
    • 4,283 Posts
    • 47,842 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening

Hello GP & friends - wondering if anyone else was forced to change their password today?
    Originally posted by rtandon27
    When I logged on this morning, it was OK. Then I saw your post this arvo, and of course I had the same message, but didn't change it there and then, as I had BG on my lap, happily tapping away at any random key they could reach So I left it until now. Worra fandango! I mean, in one way, it's ok, MSE had a v v out of date email addy for me. But change your email and .................

Anyhoo, here I am. Wots the betting I forget my password in 2 seconds flat

So tea has been munched. Nowt half as exciting as redo's carrot biriyani; we had baked beans on wholemeal toast with a 2 egg omlette. Didn't need owt buying for it, was quick to prepare and was scrummy. DH can have the last of the crumble for pudding when he's finished reading stories and putting BG to bed

Had some sad news today that someone I've known for a long time - orginally met through an allotment site - has passed away. They thought the world of BG and were one of two people who actually cried with joy on being introduced to BG, having not been aware I was pregnant and yet having understood the specialness we felt with being blessed with a child later in life. They were an original MSEr, although I somewhat doubt that they bothered with this site, eschewing computer technology for just plain and simply being out there in the garden, or in the hills walking or being with their children and grandchildren - especially a new arrival. So very sad that they have gone so soon, and such a cliche, but they really were, 'one of the good ones'.

We didn't get out and about today. The weather did eventually clear up and we had some sunshine, but when we could have gone out, it was raining, then snowing, then hailing, then sunny, then raining, then snowing............ We really must try and get out and about tomorrow. Two days on the trot, cooped up in buildings is no fun, at all.

We didn't spend any money though

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

memories of a kind, supportive and funny person

a warm home on a cold day

a rare nsd

Ta for popping in. Appreciated.

Greying X

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Feb 18, 7:44 PM
    • 55,063 Posts
    • 220,011 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sad to read about your friend.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 9th Feb 18, 8:09 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,867 Thanks
    ZTD
    Hello GP & friends - wondering if anyone else was forced to change their password today?

(Exceedingly difficult on a mobile with autotype!)
    Originally posted by rtandon27
    Yes, after some stupid amount of days. Probably the 10 years I've been on.

I'm presuming it's for some sort of security fiasco they've had. Which is why it wanted my to type my old and new passwords in over a completely unencrypted connection - not a sniff of HTTPs anywhere.

It's that sort of ineptitude I laugh at until my backside rattles...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 9th Feb 18, 8:21 PM
    • 1,625 Posts
    • 14,184 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. I'm sure BG will grow with fun loving stories about them that will be treasured

The weather has been similar here today. Couldn't make it's mind up at all!

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 9th Feb 18, 8:36 PM
    • 1,715 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    badmemory
    I changed my password to - exactly what it was before - after all if anyone wants to know what I've said on here well they are welcome. It may sometimes be a little blunter than I would say in real life but only a little. I also don't use it anywhere else - so scammers - you are welcome!

As for the weather not making up its mind - had the sun visor down cos I couldn't see where I was going, wipers going cos it was chucking it down, lights on cos it was too dark. All between 8.50 & 10.20. How would English conversation survive if we didn't have our weather. The car was also beeping at me because it was that cold it was warning of ice. How did we survive before our cars told us it was cold?
    Last edited by badmemory; 09-02-2018 at 8:39 PM.
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 10th Feb 18, 7:07 AM
    • 4,283 Posts
    • 47,842 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

Mmm, teeny bit of a disturbed night. BG had several coughing fits - nothing serious, just 'out of the ordinary' of what has occured for the past couple of nights. DH got up to check that everything was OK. DH hasn't slept well, due to an ongoing work niggle. What is it about us Greyings? Anyhoo, we're all 'up and at 'em' now - some of us are even sitting here showered and dressed....

Shopping to be done today. Must write the list out for what DH can pick up and sort money and bags etc. and do the same for what BG and I will be tasked to pick up

Tea this evening will be a chickpea version of Chicken Chasni - which I really ought to make when England are playing Scotland, as it is apparently a sweet/sour curry that originated in Glasgow But it is also good if made ahead and then reheated, which means I can get to see plenty of today's rugger games My recipe was originally from the curry council website, but I can't find it now, so have linked to a very similar version - and clearly, where chicken is added, I use chickpeas to make it a veggie version

Right, mustache.

Greying X

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 10th Feb 18, 1:10 PM
    • 4,283 Posts
    • 47,842 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Ay up,

Well, best laid plans and all that. We got out and about this morn, dodged all the showers, although it was a bit cold. But sooo good to be out and about

I went into 'ome bargins and spotted some tins of guava in syrup for 49p. I'll try a tin, thought me. Anyhoo, when I got home, it dawned on me that I could make Jack Monroe's Peach and Chickpea curry for tea tonight, instead of the chickpea chasni. So I have. Except I hadn't banked on the seeds in the guavas being quite so hard...... DH is gonna love that....... (not) And I also was a bit heavy handed with the chilli It's not super hot, just kinda grips you at the back of your throat......... Might need some yoghurt to hand. I did the same with the guava as I would with the peaches and drained the syrup off and rinsed them. My thinking was that i could achieve a slightly 'tropical' tasting curry, using something different, and for 'only' 14p more than using a tin of EDV peach slices. I don't think I'm going to be doing it again................

We picked up everything else that was on the list; the fruit bowl is now well stocked and we have a dozen eggs to use Thankfully, HB had the 'new' brand in again, rather than the brand they usually stock. I went through at least a dozen boxes the other day, only to find cracked eggs or 'dirty' (and I mean covered) eggs in every box. Needless to say, I left those where they were. I wonder what is going on with egg production these days. There is only (technically) 16 days on the eggs that i bought today, before their 'use by' date. Where have they been sitting all this time?

Right, best get shifting a tail feather. i've drying up to do and lunch to prep for BG (currently having a little snooze after all that fresh air ). i've done the curry, cooked the rice and got the dhal out of the freezer, so can relax and watch the rugger this arvo.

Greying X

• in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 10th Feb 18, 1:21 PM
    • 5,073 Posts
    • 29,460 Thanks
    in need of direction
    i didn't find watchinglast week's rugger at all relaxing!
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £75,268.93, target £65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today £247.27 target £5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund £0.7/5.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Current weight loss RUBBISH need to refocus
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 10th Feb 18, 1:40 PM
    • 4,283 Posts
    • 47,842 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    i didn't find watchinglast week's rugger at all relaxing!
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    No, I see your point But the lad done great, didn't he? We've an absolute nail-biter this week, everything to play for - by both sides.

Greying X

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Feb 18, 2:28 PM
    • 55,063 Posts
    • 220,011 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope DD is ok & boo to DH's work niggles.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • FrugalWeirdo83
    • By FrugalWeirdo83 10th Feb 18, 4:22 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    FrugalWeirdo83
    Ooh I have just stumbled upon your diary but I'm not sure how to subscribe. I'm using a mobile and can't see any links
    Sealed pot challenge 196
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 10th Feb 18, 5:36 PM
    • 1,625 Posts
    • 14,184 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Sounds like a good day

Hope you all get a better sleep tonight

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • FrugalWeirdo83
    • By FrugalWeirdo83 10th Feb 18, 6:12 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    FrugalWeirdo83
    Worked it out
    Sealed pot challenge 196
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 11th Feb 18, 2:01 PM
    • 4,283 Posts
    • 47,842 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Afternoon

beanie - DH's niggles are with a co-worker, so regretfully, are unlikely to disappear any time soon BG is better, and yet their nose running like a tap has returned Even DH commented on it this morning, how it appears to clear up and then return. Even my head cold hasn't shifted per se. I feel much better, but I'm still congested. These colds definitely aren't following 'normal' patterns and seem to hang about for ages.

Well, we've achieved quite a bit this morning, considering we've not rushed about. We combined a tip to the tip (non recyclables) with a trip to the chazzer warehouse to drop off a load of stuff, and nipped into mrAl's (heaving), mrT's (reasonably busy), and mrL's (almost more staff than customers). I bought limes (S6), a new set of kitchen scales (BG has inadvertenly broken my existing ones by dropping them out of the cupboard too often ), some cleaning materials, and a few bits and bobs of food items, including rocket (PoTW) from each respectively. I bought the kitchen scales with mrT vouchers. I know it's not absolutely the most cost effective way to use them, but it was convenient and something that I actually needed.

Tea last night was guava and chickpea curry (not too bad in the end, and thankfully I didn't make too much, so it was muched in one sitting), dhal and 'half&half' (some chips and some rice) in honour of us playing Wales.

Tea this evening will be cardboard box fish, oven chips and mushy peas. And don't no one tell the diet police about chips two nights on the trot, coz I dunna care

Right, best go and do something constructive, coz DH is cleaning the bathroom and BG is having a snooze. They resolutely refused when we returned from shopping, and then promptly all but fell asleep in their lunch - v funny

Greying X

• greenbee
    • By greenbee 11th Feb 18, 4:34 PM
    • 12,636 Posts
    • 220,329 Thanks
    greenbee
    Toddler noses are permanently tap-like, whether they have colds or not. It's all part of the job description
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 11th Feb 18, 5:05 PM
    • 1,625 Posts
    • 14,184 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Hope you've had a lovely day

x
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 11th Feb 18, 5:22 PM
    • 4,283 Posts
    • 47,842 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Ha ha greenbee - that so is not true - what about when they have the thickest, stickiest, greenest, most humungous bogey blob sticking out their nose???

Hope you've had a lovely day

x
    Originally posted by WannabeFree
    We did thank you hun, we did

The bathroom, if not quite sparkling like on the TV ads, is clean and tidy. A cake has been baked, most of a rugger match watched and BG has finally kept their eyes open long enough to finish off their lunch

I really enjoyed watching Scotland play rugby - a really good game and the Scottish were deserving winners. I'm also pleased that they kicked for goals on penalties, rather than going for the corner. Sometimes you just need to get the points on the board, rather than going for the try opportunities. But a win, is a win, is a win

Right, I'm away to start tea prep.

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

that our charitable donations were accepted at the warehouse - definitely money saving, as it was just up the road, rather than at the shop in the next market town along.

a lie-in courtesy of DH looking after BG this morning

for making progress
    - albeit at a glacial pace.......

Ta for popping in. Appreciated.

Greying X

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Feb 18, 5:46 PM
    • 55,063 Posts
    • 220,011 Thanks
    beanielou
    Well done Scotland!

***Keep plodding***
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 12th Feb 18, 8:04 AM
    • 4,283 Posts
    • 47,842 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

Another shiney new week

Lots of itty bitty bits to do today, including getting out and about for some exercise. Definitely the incentive to move quickly, as it is rather brrr here this morning.

I was going to make soup for tea, try out a new recipe, but I've not got all the ingredients, so I'm pondering - but I've also decided, that whilst it is an 'interesting' soup, the extent of the ingredients, which are are not necessarily cheap, unless you 'grow your own', make it prohibitively costly to make. Not too mention that soup ain't supposed to be complicated....... It is one thing that I am finding with the 'new breed' of bloggers, vloggers and healthy eating 'gurus', they aren't necessarily coming at cooking from a home economics perspective....... I think I need to have confidence in my 'simple' approach, and only cook recipes ('new' or 'tried & tested') that don't require the kitchen cupboards, or, indeed, the kitchen sink thrown at them.

So, it will probably be 'vegetable soup - lite' for us tea

I need to go to the library today, so will incorporate that into our exercise

I also need to update my spending diary, with the weekend's shopping.

Can't think of owt else MSving to witter on about, so best shift-a-tail-feather I guess

Greying X

• rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 12th Feb 18, 10:04 AM
    • 2,200 Posts
    • 14,027 Thanks
    rtandon27
    ...It is one thing that I am finding with the 'new breed' of bloggers, vloggers and healthy eating 'gurus', they aren't necessarily coming at cooking from a home economics perspective....... I think I need to have confidence in my 'simple' approach, and only cook recipes ('new' or 'tried & tested') that don't require the kitchen cupboards, or, indeed, the kitchen sink thrown at them...
    Originally posted by Greying Pilgrim
    GP - totally agree! - simple is the best - we've started to do a big batch of 'summat' on Monday, then Tuesday is box fish day with h/m wedges and steamed greens - Weds more of the batch - Thurs bits of whatever needs using up or some yellow sticker finds and Fri more of the 'summat' - while it is not always the most creative way of eating, it is quick, fills a hole, is low effort and most importantly affordable!

It baffles me how a long list of specialty ingredients, no matter how interesting & tasty can be budget friendly! Simple, sustainable & based on the store cupboard has got to be the way to go!
    1 YEAR & 7 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Juggling the pots to keep in the black!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

606Posts Today

6,347Users online

Martin's Twitter