Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    • 4,283Posts
    • 47,843Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes
    • 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes 27th Oct 16 at 9:11 AM
    Hello

I think that the time may be right to start a new diary. So much has changed since I started my 2nd diary, which can be found HERE and we're a whole lifetime away from my first diary, which can be found HERE

Whilst my first 2 diaries concentrated on living a simple life, concentrating on debt-avoidance for my (then) DP and I, we had a 'bit' of a tumultuous 2015, which meant that my DP became my DH and we 'Two' became 3, with the safe arrival of Baby Greying

Our focus has changed dramatically. Far from contemplating 'downsizing' (a bit of a misnomer in terms of our house, honestly, I've been in bigger 'flats'! ) and somehow achieving early retirement; we now have a future focus that needs us to be super fit and active for as long as we can be. Also, as older first time parents, we are both committed to try to be in Baby Greying's life for as long as possible, without being a burden. Because whilst being older does have some distinct advantages when applied to parenting, there is no denying there's a downside too..............

Also, the economic climate is changing once again. Blame it on whatever you like, but there is always some reason why prices of x, y or z rise. There is always a reason why, when you find a way to combat inflation; someone comes along and changes the rules of the game. A good example of this is our wood burner. When we had it installed, we had access to a goodly amount of free wood, we both had the time and energy to process it and we could live with parts of the house being cold. Forward 10 years; more people have stoves - and are all chasing that 'free' wood, 'purchased' logs are now very expensive around here and we've no time to stack nor chop wood. It's become easier, and 'as expensive' to flick the on switch for the central heating....... a cleaner in-house option, that can keep the whole house a manageable temperature and Baby Greying at a safe and comfortable temperature.

Now it does matter if our hair-brained money saving wheezes make our teeth fall out or our toes freeze orf, because it impacts on our ability to look after Baby Greying in the now and in the future. Our health and well-being is a priority - but still not at any price. We want to have it all,;but with only a modest budget available, we're gonna have to get creative. I rarely shop in the 'big 4' supermercados. We purchase some things from mrL, some from mrAl. A smattering from mrW, mrT and m&$ (bananas mostly), with h0me bargins and h3ron f00ds being the sources of our regular shopping. We also have access to a food co-operative and I occasionally get to go to the next city along to get bulk purchases of pulses and spices.

Our focus now (that we've got over the shock of Baby Greying ) is to move on from Greying Towers. The long and short of it boils down to it not being the right environment for us to bring up a child here. There are nicer places. We need to find them. So a move is on the cards. However, some renovation of the towers is necessary, and whilst funding has always been an issue; now we have the added upheaval of trying to do work around a baby. Not impossible, but not ideal. It's also still proving impossible to find reliable tradespeople. We're looking for a plumber, again

The one thing that I've come to recognise with age is that there is always 'good stuff' in every life. Even when you're really going through the mill. There are good people, who say or do good things to help you. There are the wonders of nature to take in at every turn. There is humour everywhere, even if you have to look under a few rocks to find it. It is important to be thankful, even on the dark days. And I try to do that - and find writing it down, in my online diary a good exercise in stopping. And thinking.

We like food at Greying Towers. I write about it alot. I take pictures of me tea. We're vegetarian (at present) and so vegetables feature. Alot. When it's gifted HG produce, it's even better

So, do you fancy climbing aboard for the new adventure. Taking some time out to Fall apart in my backyard with Me, DH and BG?

Greying X
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 29-10-2016 at 8:24 AM.
    'Ich habe genug' 'Your Vibe attracts your Tribe'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
Page 102
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 6th Jan 18, 7:38 PM
    • 4,283 Posts
    • 47,843 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening

Well, we've just enjoyed a 'convenience' tea Did I send for takeout? No, i'm on UFM! Did I use ready meals? No, I'm on UFM! Did I purchase a supermarket curry meal deal? No, I'm on UFM! All I did do was to dig in the freezer for some l/o dhal, and some of the black eyed peas that I'd cooked up for the hoppin' john on Monday and then I made Lobia Masala with the beans and some l/o passata from the fridge (I had inadvertently opened a second carton, without checking if I'd opened one already, so had 2 half cartons........ All other ingredients were in the store/freezer and i then boiled up some basmati. Made a nice filling plate and there was a smidge of masala left to knap over a baked tattie for lunch sometime But honestly, even I was amazed at how quick it was to put together, definitely as quick as ordering takeout, and certainly less stressy than battling into and out of the supermercado (did anyone hear the texter into Liza T's show, who'd been stuck, trying to get out of mrT's carpark - dunno where - for over an hour ) on a Saturday.

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

Getting to see some lovely snaps someone had taken of their holiday - full of joy, love and simplicity.....

sleep!

DH doing more than his fair share of chores, today
    X

Ta for popping in. Appreciated. Greatly.

Greying X

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 6th Jan 18, 8:03 PM
    • 7,390 Posts
    • 55,661 Thanks
    apple muncher
    I too bought myself some socks for cmas. Lovely and warm in he house yet perfectly good in my walking boots and shoes. I love them!

I'm not doing UFM officially, but am certainly living it vicariously though you and pippi.
    NST June Odyssey #20; NSD 13/15; Ex 18/20 ; craft 8/ (69); remove 76 (433)
    2018 Pay off: £2110; 2
    018 sell £44.20; WLOSW /10

Mortgage £21,033 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 7th Jan 18, 10:31 AM
    • 4,283 Posts
    • 47,843 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

apple - aren't you running the NST challenge? You've got your hands full with that - never mind UFM Besides, folk who have been around the frugal scene won't find much new content in Liz's challenge - and that's not meant critically of Liz, what I mean is, is that there are a certain number of 'first bases' that you have to cover in order to get your finances into shape, or your debt shifted. It's not rocket science, neither is there any 'new, improved' whizzy whizzy technique that can make debt vanish over night - how we all wish there was! I'm just doing the challenge to sharpen my thinking a little. I think being frugal each day does sometimes get a bit wearing. Sometimes you just need a reset, or to know that others are trying to live as you do. Not everyone is maxed out to the hilt and living the glossy magazine lifestyle, going to 'it' parties and drinking bottles of champers that costs the same as a small car.......even if sometimes it seems like it.............

Well here we are again. Funny night's sleep. Woken twice by frankly awful dreams - very realistic and featuring real people and places as well as me (and BG in one......) but lots of features wrong/unrealistic too. All very, very odd How I could have done with another night sleeping through. And annoying as I didn't eat or drink anything that is connected with bad dreams - not even a crumb of cheese!

Right, I've had a very slow start, again, and DH has been a trooper with our little bundle of energy

I hope we can get out in the sunshine today. There is a charity shop that I want to go and see. So any expenditure is 50/50, as you never now what you may find. Just the thing, or nowt. i'm also going to start looking at storage items - in the vein of chest of drawers/wardrobe, as we were looking in a chazzer yesterday, and I thought the prices they were asking for 'flat pack' wobbly stuff was outrageous. But, having said that, I don't know how much furniture costs anymore, so they might be asking a reasonable 'slice' of money on something that costs £££'s new.......

Tea this evening will most likely be cardboard box cod, oven chips and mushy peas, unless we're only out for 5 minutes and I get inspired to cook something else. I am, however, very low on onions, and fArmf00ds had no nets yesterday

I could do with sorting out some financials. Following the UFM, I know there are some bits of money sitting in places that are not yielding much interest and aren't particularly easy to get hold of, so I must rectify that. We have decided to amalgamate our CU accounts. I find the PO obstructive to having an account, so I'm going to close mine and we'll do a D/D each month into DH's CU account each month and withdraw by telephone instruction as and when. This money covers car maintenance and our holiday or mini excursions, so it is important that we keep saving it.

I must also have a look into energy bill and submit some readings. if I 'owe' I want to pay them now, rather than let them muck about with the D/D. I have set some money aside for this purpose. As I'm sure I've mentioned, heating is a priority expense for us.

Right, can't think of owt else. Best go and shift-a-tail-feather, as I've let daylight burn as it is......

Ta for popping in. Appreciated.

Greying X

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Jan 18, 10:45 AM
    • 55,063 Posts
    • 220,040 Thanks
    beanielou
    Enjoy your day GP
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 7th Jan 18, 12:53 PM
    • 15,001 Posts
    • 99,079 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Just wot she said up there enjoy that there day of yours.

PS most cish and fips from them there posh chippes come in a box now too, so you're well on trend. I do prefer paper I have to say.
    Overdraft 1 £1000/£0, Overdraft 2 £1000/£1000 , Cancelled
    Credit Card 1 = £0, Credit Card 2 £2710.57/925
    Total Debt as of 6/8/2017 £5755.40 eek:
    Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 7th Jan 18, 2:07 PM
    • 4,283 Posts
    • 47,843 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    to beanie

Pippi
    - I hadn't thought of that - you're right, *posh* fish & chips oft does come in a box

Well, the chazzer didn't turn up any 'must haves'. There was a contender, and it was fairly priced, for the condition it was in, but...... I did drop on some lovely valencia Oranges in fArmf00ds - 7 large oranges for £1. They hadn't re-stocked their veg though so no onions, but I did pick up a net elsewhere, £1.99 for 4kg, which I think is a little on the pricey side, but needs must.

I did venture into B&M, looking for bags of dates. They didn't have what I wanted (will have to go to HB), but i did buy a jar of wh0l3 3arth peanut butter (340g jar) for £1.89, BB october 18, - most places it retails for about £2.99, and they also had the big 1kg tubs for £5 which is quite the cheapest i have seen. They also had mArm1te (conventional size) for £2, which as it was only something like 12p dearer than the mrA own brand, I bought, especially since it means I don't have to go to mrA.

I think BG and I might go out for a potter this afternoon and get a few more rays - we'll have to wrap up warmly tho' - and DH will probably hit the hay, as he's tired and grumpy. I'll allow him a bit of leeway on this, as he's picked up plenty of slack lately. And he did say that my dreams were horrible.......

We saw several people that we knew and had a nice natter. Which was great and cost nowt.

I had to laugh, I was talking about a project on p1nt3re$t that I'd seen and pricing it up, the materials would have been £30 - although the original project used high quality materials costing $415. Well, I've shelved the idea, but interestingly I saw a scarf (that's what the project was), that was emulating..... the colours (but not stitching) of this project, from a 'well known' country clothing brand, , and they wanted £32.99 for it - in a 'discounter' type retailer........ It just shows doesn't it. It you want quality and precision, you have to make it yourself at high cost in materials and time. You can substitute and get cheaper quality materials and still have to put in the time, or you can just walk up to the shelf and pick something 'in the vein' for a similar amount of dosh outlay......... Or you can remember you're a frugal womble, particiapting in UFM, snap your purse shut and wander off to stand under the overhead heater in the shop for a de-frost of your extremities

Greying X

• rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 7th Jan 18, 3:36 PM
    • 2,200 Posts
    • 14,029 Thanks
    rtandon27
    ...Or you can remember you're a frugal womble, particiapting in UFM, snap your purse shut and wander off to stand under the overhead heater in the shop for a de-frost of your extremities ...
    Originally posted by Greying Pilgrim
    Well done GP that would have been my choice too! xxx
    1 YEAR & 7 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Juggling the pots to keep in the black!
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 7th Jan 18, 4:15 PM
    • 4,283 Posts
    • 47,843 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Well done GP that would have been my choice too! xxx
    Originally posted by rtandon27
    Ha ha - you are too kind, it wasn't an awfully hard decision to make, as I didn't actually *like* the factory 'emulation' version........

Well, we've had a spiffing time this arvo. We nicked out - walking very quickly to pump the auld blood around the vessels a bit - and dropped via the high street to pick up the needed dates from HB. I may also have bought some *valerie* tea ..... zZZZZZZZZZzZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Then we went to the municipal park and had a wander about. It was lovely, as it was quite quiet and BG could safely toddle about. We caught some rays of sunshine and exchanged pleasantries with several folks, then hot-footed it back to the towers before the sun totally disappeared and the temperature really started to fall. I am currently glowing - for all the right reasons - and feel like I've had the best walk/exercise in absolutely ages. I'm so glad we went

And we've still our *emulation* chippy tea to look forward to

Sunshine

Exercise

Family time

Ta for popping by. It is greatly appreciated.

Greying X

• WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 7th Jan 18, 6:08 PM
    • 1,625 Posts
    • 14,196 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    The sun has been nice here too, it makes for a good change and I'm wishing time away to Spring

Sounds like you had a good day too.

I have a stupid question and you seem best to ask with all your delicious food. If a recipe calls for shallots can I use 'normal' onion? Or not? Told you it was stupid
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 7th Jan 18, 7:24 PM
    • 4,283 Posts
    • 47,843 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim

I have a stupid question and you seem best to ask with all your delicious food. If a recipe calls for shallots can I use 'normal' onion? Or not? Told you it was stupid
    Originally posted by WannabeFree
    It is NOT a stupid question. It is a perfectly GOOD question. My instant MSE answer is YES, because I do it all the time. The reason (excluding any ponce factor for any particular recipe/ponce factor for any chef or recipe author) that shallots are normally specified is that they are normally a milder (sometimes sweeter) taste than 'ordinary onions' can be. But if it is fancy, I would just cook ordinary onions for longer (taking care not to burn nor brown them). But ordinarily, there is no need. If you happen to be using the large ('spanish') onions, white onions, or in some cases red, you'll be not having harsh onion-i-ness anyway.

I bought some of the shallots that were 'cheap' in mrL before Christmas. I used them in onion gravy with our toad in the hole, for the lasagne for Christmas eve and something else I can't recall. Did I realise I was eating shallots? No. Did they make the dish nicer? Well, the gravy was nice, but not michelin starred.

So in a word. No, it don't matter 99.9% of the time. And if the federation of shallot growers and marketers wants to take issue with me, then I invite them to a cook off to prove to me that making ordinary teas, in reasonable amounts of time, on a daily basis, to fill the tummies of our loved one, needs shallots. Onions for me, the majority of the time.

Greying X

• WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 7th Jan 18, 7:40 PM
    • 1,625 Posts
    • 14,196 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    It is NOT a stupid question. It is a perfectly GOOD question. My instant MSE answer is YES, because I do it all the time. The reason (excluding any ponce factor for any particular recipe/ponce factor for any chef or recipe author) that shallots are normally specified is that they are normally a milder (sometimes sweeter) taste than 'ordinary onions' can be. But if it is fancy, I would just cook ordinary onions for longer (taking care not to burn nor brown them). But ordinarily, there is no need. If you happen to be using the large ('spanish') onions, white onions, or in some cases red, you'll be not having harsh onion-i-ness anyway.

I bought some of the shallots that were 'cheap' in mrL before Christmas. I used them in onion gravy with our toad in the hole, for the lasagne for Christmas eve and something else I can't recall. Did I realise I was eating shallots? No. Did they make the dish nicer? Well, the gravy was nice, but not michelin starred.

So in a word. No, it don't matter 99.9% of the time. And if the federation of shallot growers and marketers wants to take issue with me, then I invite them to a cook off to prove to me that making ordinary teas, in reasonable amounts of time, on a daily basis, to fill the tummies of our loved one, needs shallots. Onions for me, the majority of the time.

Greying X
    Originally posted by Greying Pilgrim
    Ahh thank you, I admit I've never had shallots and I never follow a recipe usually so I wasn't sure. I'm glad though as I have onions so I can avoid the supermarket

Thank you for not laughing too x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 7th Jan 18, 8:07 PM
    • 4,283 Posts
    • 47,843 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim

Thank you for not laughing too x
    Originally posted by WannabeFree
    I would never do that.

Greying X

• Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 8th Jan 18, 4:11 AM
    • 15,001 Posts
    • 99,079 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Aw lovely chat on here - what a nice read that was, sounds like a lovely day GP.

WBF great question - I've always found shallots a bit fiddlesome, and had myself wondered WHY we used them at all, except they are a bit earlier in the garden. And, so many recipes do have them in.

I'm with greying an ingin is and ingin
    (as me grannie would say, ingin=onion).

On behalf of any federation of shallot growers and marketers I feel I must say, in their defence, despite their fiddliness, I do actually grow them {choughs}, they're very bonnie to grow, super quick and use them earlier than proper onions, or even whole like giant spring onions. It's not their fault they're smaller and fiddly, they do fill a garden gap, which is what I tell myself every year I do grow them, and then wonder why, as I'm in the kitchen cursing their very existence.........never did think they tasted any different, I shall look out for their sweetness.

Stick with real onions when shopping I say to myself. and anyway, maybe shallots should be less expensive due to the fiddle-factor.

*hides the shallot packets in the seed box and whistles, I do love the way they grow, despite all, its not their fault*
    Last edited by Pippilongstocking; 08-01-2018 at 4:16 AM.
    Overdraft 1 £1000/£0, Overdraft 2 £1000/£1000 , Cancelled
    Credit Card 1 = £0, Credit Card 2 £2710.57/925
    Total Debt as of 6/8/2017 £5755.40 eek:
    Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 8th Jan 18, 8:37 AM
    • 4,283 Posts
    • 47,843 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

Pippi - what the heckington's wellingtons are you doing posting on my thread at 4.11AM! I'm not infecting everyone with my insomnia am I? I hadn't wanted to put you off growing shallots - I was answering as a buyer and cook. I'm pretty sure that shallots are supposed to be milder/sweeter (depending on variety/growing conditions, surely?). Although I think it no co-incidence that as the popularity of shallots in recipes has grown - so has the prevalence of 'banana shallots' - easier to peel! But I agree, the shallots that the gardening parental always grow are wee and fiddly to peel!

Ah, so the night was definitely a night of 2 halves. A good sleep up to midnight, awake until at least 2am, then BG woke, so we ended up cwthching together and getting fitful sleep (did I mention BG is a wriggle bum?) until 6am. Luckily DH took over and i had another little while back in bed. Ho hum. Not the best, but I'm not exhausted as such, so maybe the *valerie* is starting to work for me.......

There should be no expenditure today, I must remember to sort out my library books so that I avoid fines.

I can begin to sort out moving some money, I will need to complete a form, so can do that quick smart. And I really ought to sort out my complaint about CPP to the ombudsman. I let it slide before Christmas,but I can get on with it now.

Tea has not been sorted, it's the one gap on my planner. But we've plenty in stores and i can concoct summat.

Ta for popping in. Appreciated.

Greying X

• in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 8th Jan 18, 10:17 AM
    • 5,073 Posts
    • 29,464 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Late to the party as always but, a few comments.
    Greying doesn't laugh publicly at draft cookery questions, she gives muppets like me really good advice.
    My mother still introduces the soon to be 50 year old me as her baby!
    Greying, keeping a notebook by the bed and noting down things that trouble me when I waken can help me get back to sleep.
    Re the peri / meno issue, can anyone who believes they are impacted please try to get the right help. I was having sweats, flushes, insomnia, etc that were all dismissed by a male gp who told me to come back when I was 50. This was while continuing to prescribe a contraceptive pill for reasons other than contraception. In desperation, I attended a female GP who commissioned the necessary blood tests, etc. it was such a relief to get an explanation for my symptoms.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £75,268.93, target £65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today £247.27 target £5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund £0.7/5.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Current weight loss RUBBISH need to refocus
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 8th Jan 18, 10:52 AM
    • 4,771 Posts
    • 47,173 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    I never use shallots in any recipe that calls for them. They are a quicker crop, as stated, so growers like them, I know.

Being a very encouraging English tutor and instructor, I am very reluctant to identify written hiccups, unless asked to do so, but this one, I want to mention, to spread the use of the correct word.

The very good word for a snuggly cuddle, in Welsh, where you hold someone into you, Greying, is cwtch, I love the use of it, it is perfect. 'Cuddle' doesn't have the same meaning as a cwtch.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 8th Jan 18, 12:59 PM
    • 4,283 Posts
    • 47,843 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Being a very encouraging English tutor and instructor, I am very reluctant to identify written hiccups, unless asked to do so, but this one, I want to mention, to spread the use of the correct word.

The very good word for a snuggly cuddle, in Welsh, where you hold someone into you, Greying, is cwtch, I love the use of it, it is perfect. 'Cuddle' doesn't have the same meaning as a cwtch.
    Originally posted by mcculloch29
    Ah ha! The perils of trying to type a post when you've a baby sat on your lap, trying to emulate mumma's typing........ we were indeed cwtching, and not wot I wrote

Greying X

• starnac
    • By starnac 8th Jan 18, 1:40 PM
    • 5,262 Posts
    • 24,731 Thanks
    starnac
    You can not beat a cwtch, especially one with your mam.

I've just been catching up and although I am not able to add to the peri/menapause conversation, I will add to the "other" female issue that Greying mentioned and that is not talked about. I had a miscarriage at 12 weeks before DD and I was shocked by how many women (who I've known for years and thought I knew quite well) said they had experienced miscarriage. It's shocking how it gets brushed under the table.

Greying I truly sympathise with having to share the bed with a wriggle bum. How can someone so small take up sooooo much room??
    Savings £1200
    Overpayments made £200/£1208.15
    Make £2018 in 2018 #70 £507/£2018
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 8th Jan 18, 8:18 PM
    • 4,283 Posts
    • 47,843 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening

...... I was shocked by how many women (who I've known for years and thought I knew quite well) said they had experienced miscarriage. It's shocking how it gets brushed under the table.
    Originally posted by starnac
    Wholly agree with you love. And whilst many people will want to keep matters private and personal, many want to talk about their experiences, or know that they are not alone.

Well, I've had a busy day. Lots achieved, but some of it more.... 'lifestyle' than 'business'. I did pick up a bunch of bananas, as we were down to our last two, and I actually fancied one for a change, and BG was in a banana eating mood today, so we would have been out of them, and DH would have had a snap box devoid of ba-nar-nar-ery goodness tomorrow We then went pottering about the place. BG had a little toddle time and I made sure we went the long way round when I was pushing the perambulator, so that I could claim (legitimately) to have exercised today It certainly kept me warm and toasty on a cold, cold day

I managed to submit meter readings to my energy company. After first trying to submit them to a company with which I don't have an account........ Why do they have to have such similar names? I'm a woman of a certain age........ Anyhoo, we were still in credit, but I've popped a bit 'on account' so that they don't get all hysterical and go upping my DD all over the place. I'd also rather be in credit in case I chose to move provider for any reason.

I sorted out my library books. No fines, but one had been requested so I dropped that back in on my way past, so that the next reader can have it soonest.

Tea this evening, morphed into something different from what I had planned, as my pal texted me to say that they were having 'toad in the hole'. I then wanted batter pudding! So instead of stew & dumplings, we had black-eye beans added into a vegetable tomato sauce (the sauce was blitzed up, so that I could use the excess to make sauce to go with BG's pasta meals. BG isn't really keen on 'lumps' of veg, yet.......) A slab of batter pudding and some green beans that were lurking at the bottom of the freezer - and I got 'green' on the plate - Yay! It also used up the last of the eggs that were approaching their use by date. Winner, winner, filling frugal dinner

I also cooked some lumps of butternut squash in the oven whilst I had it on. It will be the basis of tomorrow night's soup. It is the BNS I bought for £1 on our long weekend in Cornwall, before Christmas, so we'll have fond memories as we are tucking in. There is about a third of the BNS left (uncooked) and I may or may not use all the BNS (cooked) in the soup tomorrow. I'm making the BNS chowder out of 'Economy Gastronomy'.

Teamwork with my DH

friendly recipe sparring at teatime

the ability to get moving.

Ta for popping in. Appreciated. Greatly.

Greying X

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 9th Jan 18, 6:51 AM
    • 4,283 Posts
    • 47,843 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

Well, I had a reasonable sleep. Woke once, went to check on BG and then returned to bed and got back to sleep reasonably quickly. I've woken up feeling OK - not with a 'hangover effect' (no alcohol consumed at all this January). So either the cycle has moved on or *valerie* is having some effect for me

I've admin to attend to again today. Trying to complete bits each day. I've a very important phone call to make, which will need BG to be away napping or something. I'm going to have a hard time keeping my composure as it is, without having a (lovely) small, milling in and around my legs......

Tea this evening will be pumpkin chowder, using the cooked BNS and the 'Economy Gastronomy' recipe.

There are several bits and pieces that will need to be bought. Once I have made up the snap, there will be not bread left, for a start.

I am back up to date with my spending diary, having got out of the habit of updating it straight away. I am a bit amazed as to how much I have already spent, 1 week in. Particularly as we don't really appear to have bought much - no 'shopping trolley full' shops anyway Mind, I've had to make substitutions (coffee) which have cost more, and also several bits are just more expensive to purchase - peanut butter & mArm1te (or it's equivalent) are two things that spring to mind. But then we saved a bit on teabags - £3.49 rather than £3.99 by getting them from mrAl rather than HB, and bread flour is cheaper at 65p in mrL, but then plain flour has gone up to 49p. Swings and roundabouts, swings and roundabouts.................

Right, I'm away to make snap. Hope y'all have a great day. At least it seems a bit warmer in these 'ere parts - no obvious frost.

Greying X

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

183Posts Today

1,839Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin