Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • dawsss18
    • By dawsss18 17th Oct 16, 6:09 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 1Thanks
    can't afford to live on SSP
    • #1
    • 17th Oct 16, 6:09 PM
    can't afford to live on SSP 17th Oct 16 at 6:09 PM
    Hello all,

    I am writing on behalf of my parents.

    My Mother (61 years old) is off work due to having a hip replacement (3 months recovery) and can't go back till she is fit to work.

    My Father (61 years old) is also off work due to a car crash. His work won't let him back till his doctor has said he is fit enough to go back. His doctor won't let him go back as they have found an aneurysm on his brain. So he has to have more tests to find out if the aneurysm was due to the car crash or not.

    They are both being told they aren't allowed to go back to work yet, even though they want to go back and feel that they are fit enough to go back. So they are both losing out on their wage just because the doctors won't allow them back to work.

    They are both receiving SSP, but 88 per week per person is not enough to cover their rent and the rest of their bills.

    They have tried claiming some money to help pay for their bills, but because I live with them and I work full time they aren't allowed to claim anything. But I have my own bills to pay for, I can't afford to pay for myself and my parents rent and bills.

    Does anyone know what benefits they would be entitled to? It seems that they would be better off if they didn't work at all - that's how messed up it is.

    Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Page 2
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 18th Oct 16, 8:06 AM
    • 1,770 Posts
    • 1,049 Thanks
    Wonder how big the Debts are if they couldn't afford to pay it off earning 3k a month
    • Placitasgirl
    • By Placitasgirl 18th Oct 16, 9:23 AM
    • 258 Posts
    • 439 Thanks
    I'm assuming from your post that neither of your parents has cover for Accident, Sickness or Unemployment? That's a real oversight given the level of their income. Not judging, just stating a fact.

    Although it wouldn't help in the current situation, it would be very wise for them to consider taking this out for future cover, as if their income is at this level but they have no savings to draw on should they be unable to work or find themselves unemployed at any stage in the future.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 18th Oct 16, 10:10 AM
    • 11,475 Posts
    • 13,369 Thanks
    Your parents need to apply for housing benefit and council tax deduction. Forms can be obtained from your local council.

    The amount of housing benefit paid will be assessed on the present rent rather than the local housing allowance amount as, in these circumstances, there is a 13 week protection (given if they haven't claimed HB in the last 52 weeks and could afford the rent when they took on the tenancy)

    This 13 week protection is given so that your parents have time to return to work.

    As already said, there will be a non dependent deduction applied for both housing benefit and council tax deduction and you should be paying, at least, that amount. e

    You can look up the amount of CT reduction on your local council website.

    Your parents need to speak to the utility companies (see if they have built up any credit, for example) explain the situation and ask for a reduced payment.

    Any other creditors can also be informed and they can be put on a token payment until they go back to work.

    The amount they receive can then be used for the necessities - food/travelling etc.

    With careful planning and your help they should manage OK.

    The amount they are receiving is more than they would get on JSA so it can be done and, for them, it is hopefully going to be a temporary situation.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 18th Oct 16, 11:00 AM
    • 5,370 Posts
    • 7,532 Thanks
    Please understand, its not judgement, its trying to help. In these situations when there is no clear return to work date, and not enough money is coming in, everything has to be considered. Querying savings is apt because even without the illnesses that caused interruptions to earnings, they are of an age where savings will become more and more important.

    There is a lot they can do to help themselves, and yes I am afraid that does include looking at outgoings, which bills are more important than others, and also includes looking at what is spent on things like food. When my money was halved, I paid rent before everything else, and reduced what I spent on food. Everything else had to wait except for real essentials. I'm afraid benefits are never going to be the same as your parents previous earnings, so cut backs WILL have to be made.

    I hope you are having some success investigating what HLA can be paid.

    I might have missed it, but it might be worth looking to see if pensions can be drawn on as suggested earlier.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,691Posts Today

7,866Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin