Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Weststandstag
    • By Weststandstag 17th Oct 16, 10:49 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Starting a NVQ course at 19
    • #1
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:49 AM
    Starting a NVQ course at 19 17th Oct 16 at 10:49 AM
    My daughter finished her college course in June of this year when she was 18. She now works anything from 10-36 hrs a week at a Pub Restaurant.At this point,
    I stopped making payments through CSA. She turned 19 at the beginning of October and now work have offered her the chance to do a NVQ Catering course whilst at work.
    My ex, her mother, is saying she can claim CSA again for her - even though she will be starting the course AFTER she turned 19. She also only sleeps at home once or twice a week as she stays at her boyfriends home the rest of the time
    I'm confused and worried if payments start up again - any advice would be appreciated
Page 1
    • NotSuchASmugMarriedNow
    • By NotSuchASmugMarriedNow 17th Oct 16, 10:01 PM
    • 575 Posts
    • 1,112 Thanks
    • #2
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:01 PM
    • #2
    • 17th Oct 16, 10:01 PM
    OK. The sleeping at home thing - you say she only sleeps there 1 night a week but spends the other 6 nights at her boyfriends house. The issue here is which address is she registered at for the purpose of the electoral roll and council tax. Because that address will be the official address for her.

    Re the NVQ - An "in-work" NVQ shouldn't mean that you still have to pay Child Maintenance. If she was at college then yes, you would, but, as an NVQ trainer myself, I know that in work NVQ's don't qualify for this because the learner is working, not in college.

    So the crux of it is, regardless of where she lives, you shouldn't have to pay child maintenance.
    Overactively underachieving for almost half a century
    • MataNui
    • By MataNui 18th Oct 16, 8:36 AM
    • 940 Posts
    • 515 Thanks
    • #3
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:36 AM
    • #3
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:36 AM
    Her mother is wrong. In work training courses do not count. It has to be full time and not classed as higher education.

    You dont have to pay her mother a penny. Its not CSA now anyway. She would need to open a claim with CMS who should tell her that she wont be eligible.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,944Posts Today

8,665Users online

Martin's Twitter