Seeing the full list of holdings?

Everywhere I look seems to show the top 10 holdings of a particular fund (even the fund websites), is there nowhere showing all the holdings? :(
Mortgage (Nov 15): £79,950 | Cashback sites: £900 | Current accounts: 11
Mortgage (May 19): £71,754 | £30k in 2016: £30,300 (101%)

Comments

• george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,802
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    There is no requirement for funds to reveal their entire portfolio, however some fund managers do reveal it out of choice. (CF Woodford Equity Income is an example of a FM that reveals the whole portfolio).

Are you looking for a specific fund or just asking in general?
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Does it track an index? I assume that what's in the relevant index is roughly what I hold
  • Dird
    Dird Posts: 2,702
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    george4064 wrote: »
    Are you looking for a specific fund or just asking in general?
    Fundsmith. I was curious if it has a stake in Berkshire
  • george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,802
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Dird wrote: »
    Fundsmith. I was curious if it has a stake in Berkshire

Check if Fundsmith let you register on their website, some FMs let registered users download the full portfolio.

Another thing you could try is have a look through the fund's reports & accounts. I know some funds that post top 40 holdings in the annual report, which is better than top 10 but not as good as the whole portfolio.

Otherwise you could just contact Fundsmith and ask them, no harm in that. ;)
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
  • System
    Community Admin
    I think fundsmith is actively managed from an advert I saw? Bear in mind warren buffet recommends you just track an index, let other people pay for research and piggyback
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I think fundsmith is actively managed from an advert I saw? Bear in mind warren buffet recommends you just track an index, let other people pay for research and piggyback

You might want to check terry smith record with this fund over the past few years.
  • Scarpacci
    Scarpacci Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    Fundsmith does not have a stake in Berkshire Hathaway. You can check this because of a U.S. requirement to submit a list of U.S. fund holdings to the SEC each quarter (a 13-F), which you can find on the SEC's website. As of last reporting, Fundsmith holds 17 U.S. equities and Berkshire Hathaway is not one of them. The 13-F is also how "whale watchers", as they call themselves, keep tabs on what Buffett and others are buying.

I don't think Berkshire Hathaway, as it is today, is what Fundsmith would look for. It's a very large company that has a need to deploy lots of capital. That has led it to invest in railroads and energy companies, where there's always a need to reinvest capital at predictable (often regulated) returns. This is quite different to the Fundsmith "type" of company that usually needs to only reinvest a portion of its earnings at the higher rates of return found in consumer, health care, technology sectors, before returning the rest to shareholders.
    This is everybody's fault but mine.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Forumite
    I think fundsmith is actively managed from an advert I saw?
    No sh itsherlock, that's why he wants to know whether or not it has an investment in Berkshire because he can't look it up on the index.
    Bear in mind warren buffet recommends you just track an index, let other people pay for research and piggyback
    Warren Buffet has never given Dird a personalised recommendation, and does not track an index himself when constructing his massively successful investment portfolio that his investors pay him and his team to construct.
  • System
    Community Admin
    Why have buffet and smith done well when other managers haven't? I suppose someone always will outperform - superior research, strategy or luck maybe?

I just don't get why buffet isn't saying "go fundsmith" or saying that he'd entrust his estate to it, maybe he sees index as safer as managers can change?
  • Dird
    Dird Posts: 2,702
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 17 October 2016 at 7:43AM
    I just don't get why buffet isn't saying "go fundsmith"
    He probably hasn't heard of him/looked at his fund. Same with Woodford & other people across the ocean. I can't actually remember him mentioning any fund manager at all in any YouTube video

He's in the view of "invest in America" though. Fundsmith has less than 60% in US holdings so that's 40% wasted
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure