Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lizards
    • By lizards 16th Oct 16, 1:16 PM
    • 219Posts
    • 62Thanks
    lizards
    Old address on V5C and looking to part-ex
    • 16th Oct 16, 1:16 PM
    Old address on V5C and looking to part-ex 16th Oct 16 at 1:16 PM
    We're looking to buy a new car on PCP and part exchange our old one.

I've just located the V5C and to my horror I realise I didn't update the address from when we moved (in a hurry and at a very stressful time, not that this is an excuse) 18 months ago. For the record I did remember to do my driving license and all the other stuff at least! I guess because car tax is online now, that's why I didn't realise before this point or I'd have seen the forwarded on reminder at renewal time.

We've had mail forwarding set up since we moved so I'm 99.9% sure I don't have any speeding tickets etc, so that's hopefully not an issue.

However, what should I do with the V5C? We might be part-ex in the next two weeks, and chances are high the new one with our correct address on won't be back in time.

Obviously I'll take photos of it if I do post it off as evidence it exists, but would that be enough for the dealer? Would it be better to just leave it and present it with the wrong address on?

Thanks!!
    Last edited by lizards; 16-10-2016 at 1:22 PM.
Page 2
    • GRRC
    • By GRRC 10th Nov 18, 12:48 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GRRC
    Hi all. I bought a new car from a dealer and paid road tax for a year. Have received a fine for 80 quid through the post from collections agency and now a 100 quid fine for driving without tax. It turns out either the dealer or DVLa put our old address on the v5 (we had our previous car through same dealer at old address). Dealership say they have proof of correct address and DVKA blaming dealership. We had been driving vehicle for 5 months untaxed as we had no reminder. What can I do? And why should I have to pay due to someone else's negligence?
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 10th Nov 18, 1:06 PM
    • 19,111 Posts
    • 17,515 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Hi all. I bought a new car from a dealer and paid road tax for a year. Have received a fine for 80 quid through the post from collections agency and now a 100 quid fine for driving without tax. It turns out either the dealer or DVLa put our old address on the v5 (we had our previous car through same dealer at old address). Dealership say they have proof of correct address and DVKA blaming dealership. We had been driving vehicle for 5 months untaxed as we had no reminder. What can I do? And why should I have to pay due to someone else's negligence?
    Originally posted by GRRC
    So you never received a V5C, and you've been driving the car around for 17 months without once buying tax for it?

And at no point did you think "Oooh, I wonder..."?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,561Posts Today

9,047Users online

Martin's Twitter