Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • daveofstoft
    • By daveofstoft 15th Oct 16, 10:21 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Help To Buy ISA & Building a home
    • #1
    • 15th Oct 16, 10:21 AM
    Help To Buy ISA & Building a home 15th Oct 16 at 10:21 AM
    Does anyone know about any rules against using a Help to Buy ISA against the cost of buying land and building a new house? Any advice or guidance appreciated!
Page 1
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 15th Oct 16, 12:23 PM
    • 7,694 Posts
    • 14,070 Thanks
    • #2
    • 15th Oct 16, 12:23 PM
    • #2
    • 15th Oct 16, 12:23 PM
    If the land already has a house on it which you're going to improve to make a better one, you're OK, but not if it's just a field, afaik.

    Per the regulations you can get the bonus if you are a 'first time buyer' buying an 'eligible interest in land' which is secured by a legal mortgage.

    From definition of 'first time buyer' in the regulations, following the acquisition of interest in the land you have to occupy the land as your only or main residence.

    From definition of 'eligible interest in land', it is a legal interest in land situated in UK, solely or jointly owned, described in paras (a) and (b) of the definition of 'residential property owner'.

    Paras (a) and (b) of 'residential property owner' say about owning an interest in land:
    (i) in England or Wales:
    (a) freehold;
    (b) leasehold, where the lease was originally granted for a term certain exceeding 21 years; or
    (c) commonhold; or
    (ii) in Scotland:
    registered or recorded, or would be capable of being registered or recordered, as a right of absolute ownership in the Land Register of Scotland or General Register of Sasines in Scotland, as applicable; or
    (iii) in Northern Ireland:
    (a) freehold; or
    (b) leasehold, where the lease was originally granted for a term certain exceeding 21 years;


    comprises a building that is used or suitable for use as a dwelling, or is in the process of being constructed or adapted for such use
    So I would assume that if you are buying a 'blank canvas' piece of land that doesn't contain any building at all, let alone one that is used as a dwelling or being constructed/adapted for such use, and you can't make it your main residence, it is a non-starter.

    Whereas if you are buying an in-progress barn conversion, or a new-build house that someone else is constructing for you, you're OK.

    Presumably the government's thinking is that if you already have enough money to build a house on the land you're acquiring, and you already have somewhere to live while you're building the house, you're less in need of a 3k handout.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,595Posts Today

7,992Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: Pls help stop people who are suicidal being harassed by creditors. People in hospital due to anxiety, depression & more?

  • RT @peterkmartin: Thanks @MartinSLewis after hearing you advise many times to switch energy providers, I finally got my finger out and have?

  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke?

  • Follow Martin