PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Benefits of "starter" home?

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Are you confined to the area you live in, as in other parts of the country £250000 would get you a detached house with garden and garage ?
  • bobobski
    bobobski Posts: 771 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Round where I live you could buy a 3 bed for around £325k around 5 years ago. Now these properties sell for £500k+ and some 1 bed flats cost more than £325k now.

So basically if its going to take 5 years to be in a position to buy somewhere for that price, you may find you can still only afford a starter home anyway.

Yep, sadly I'm aware that this is a reality. Which is why I'm wondering whether I should jump into property ownership as soon as I can, or wait and hope I can play catch-up!

I did a search on Rightmove for my area today - within about a 20-30 minute cycle from my work, and with my only requirements being parking and under £250k, only about 10 properties showed up (that's including SSTC). And I would rule most of them out because they're in dodgy areas or completely run down.

Oh the woes of my generation...
  • bobobski
    bobobski Posts: 771 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    teddysmum wrote: »
    Are you confined to the area you live in, as in other parts of the country £250000 would get you a detached house with garden and garage ?

I want to be in this town, and if I moved I'd have to take a significant pay-cut as I'm paid well above market salary at the moment even for this town. So, sort of yes, but by choice, and because if I moved that £250k may be out of reach anyway.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Have a think about this. Although you would take a salary cut it isn't the amount that you are paid that is important it is the difference between what you are paid and what it costs you to live in any area of the country. So for example £30K a year where cheap housing starts at £250K is not as good as £25K a year where cheap housing starts at £80K. What you have to work out is the disposable income after travel costs and housing costs and other bills.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Could you stretch to the type of place you really want but make a sacrifice like get a lodger for a year.

Might get you were you want to be quicker.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    bobobski wrote: »
    The starter home would be worse than where I am currently living and about £150 more per month on the mortgage. That's why I've been avoiding this idea so far - although I'm paying more than 30% of my net salary on rent (and another 7% on bills), my current home is perfect except that it's small. It's also worth about £200 more in rent per month than I'm paying because I got lucky. A starter home would be about 4x further from work time-wise (cycling instead of walking), in a less nice neighbourhood, and would probably require some work which would eat into any overpayments I'd want to make on the mortgage.

So back to the calculator it is! I've called upon a friend who studied maths at university to help me on this one...

From the sound of it you are better off staying put - much as i like cycling I'd prefer to walk to work than cycle and location trumps size any day of the week as you can make more efficient use of space but you cannot change a neighbourhood. However moving closer to work would not be so good if the work place is not such a nice place to live - my workplace is out on a suburban business park near the ring road and the nearby houses are nasty barratt style hell holes!
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    The benefit is in your title. It's a "home". Your own little castle where you can escape from the world. Decorate as you wish. Change the layout, the bathroom , the kitchen to suit your own requirements. Now matters more than the future. Anything could happen over the next few years that changes your plans.
  • kilby_007
    kilby_007 Posts: 738 Forumite
    Round where I live you could buy a 3 bed for around £325k around 5 years ago. Now these properties sell for £500k+ and some 1 bed flats cost more than £325k now.

So basically if its going to take 5 years to be in a position to buy somewhere for that price, you may find you can still only afford a starter home anyway.

A 50% increase in price over 5 years, when salaries have been increasing by <3% per year. Do you think that trend is to continue at the same pace?
  • Contessa
    Contessa Posts: 1,131 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Would you consider buying your starter home and renting a room to a lodger?

It's not something everyone would want to do but it would help redress the extra cost of paying a mortgage.
  • I think that from your original post it sounds like your plan isn't working, the property prices are going up faster than it seems that you are able to save to get your ideal house. Is the 5 years still a realistic timescale taking this into account? If so then keeping with your current plan seems reasonable, but if the rise in house prices means that you are never getting closer to achieving your goal then you need to look at other options.

If you are currently renting then a starter home will enable you to 'save' extra money as you are gaining equity rather than paying rent. If property prices continue to rise, as an owner you are also benefiting from this as well. Obviously there are costs to home ownership compared to renting you have to deal with repairs etc and the costs of buying and selling. I think you need to work through the maths on this, to see what your best options are.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure