Will the bank of Scotland cut rates on the vantage account?

Or is the reduction of the reward they give on some accounts all they'll do now? I am thinking about opening three after closing my Santander 123 account but don't want to sign up to find they've cut the interest.

Comments

• talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,494
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Halifax have, Lloyds have, TSB have, I doubt it can last that long.
  • I thought they might as they're part of the same group but then why not release all the information together, and would they still cut rates after already cutting the rewards for some accounts?
  • Dan83
    Dan83 Posts: 671
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    No one really knows what BoS will do, we can only guess.

I share the same opinion as you, if they was going to cut the rate, surely they would of announced it with the Halifax and Lloyds cuts.

Their vantage account will (in a few months) be 1 of the market leaders. how long it lasts is anyone's guess.
  • halifax and bank of scotland are the same surely.
  • Rich2808
    Rich2808 Posts: 1,312
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Tesco and Nationwide have not cut their current account rates yet which range from 3 to 5 per cent. Maybe they won't as they see them as loss leaders to sell other products.

The Tesco one is particularly good as there is no minimum monthly pay in so it is effectively a savings account.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,400
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    halifax and bank of scotland are the same surely.
    In legal entity terms, yes, but as commercial brands they have different product offerings with different interest and reward rates.

And don't call me Shirley! ;)
  • BoS only introduced the Direct Debit requirements last month, so I wouldn't be surprised if they hold off for a short while before making more changes to the account.
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,777
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Whether any of the banks reduce their rates will depend on their desire to attract more current account customers and what they're willing to pay to do so. The rates are a marketing tool to get you to switch to their account and get the opportunity to sell you products.

Nationwide, for example, finds itself in the position of being the top paying current account for no additional cost. If that brings enough new custom/profit the rate will stay. I expect BOS will decide it's position in the same way.
  • knack92
    knack92 Posts: 464
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    BoS only introduced the Direct Debit requirements last month, so I wouldn't be surprised if they hold off for a short while before making more changes to the account.

I imagine plenty of customers will have failed to set up direct debits which will have resulted in an immediate cost saving. They can then use this data to determine how long they can carry on at the existing rate.
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,494
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    knack92 wrote: »
    I imagine plenty of customers will have failed to set up direct debits which will have resulted in an immediate cost saving. They can then use this data to determine how long they can carry on at the existing rate.

A good point. It may give us another few months before they decide anything. But if Tesco and Nationwide cut soon I can't see them staying high on their own for long.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure