Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • SittingBull
    • By SittingBull 14th Oct 16, 10:45 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Loans on parent's home
    • #1
    • 14th Oct 16, 10:45 AM
    Loans on parent's home 14th Oct 16 at 10:45 AM
    My sister and I are Trustees of our mother's flat via a Deed of Settlement whereby she can live in the flat as long as she wished and when the flat is sold the proceeds are paid to myself and my sister. She has recently moved into a care home and so will now sell the flat. However we need to raise cash in the short term to contribute to care home fees whilst we go through the selling process. Any advice please on the best approach for this eg personal loans, remortgage, bridging etc and what type of organisations to contact?
Page 1
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 15th Oct 16, 11:15 AM
    • 24,754 Posts
    • 11,967 Thanks
    • #2
    • 15th Oct 16, 11:15 AM
    • #2
    • 15th Oct 16, 11:15 AM
    I have to ask - was this done to reduce her assets to stop her having to pay care fees? (Deprivation of assets)
    If not how long ago was this set up?

    We have no idea of your incomes or financial situation to help further.
    Last edited by jonesMUFCforever; 15-10-2016 at 2:53 PM.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 18th Oct 16, 2:56 PM
    • 1,571 Posts
    • 1,193 Thanks
    • #3
    • 18th Oct 16, 2:56 PM
    • #3
    • 18th Oct 16, 2:56 PM
    I assume, as you are trustees, that the intention is that you receive the monies from the sale of the property and that this is then invested and used to cover your mothers care costs. If that is the case then you will find that, in some cases, the care home will give you a little leeway so you have time to liquidate your mothers assets. If you cannot arrange this then speak with your local Council to see if they are able to assist in the short term.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,366Posts Today

7,800Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin