Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • leitmotif
    • By leitmotif 13th Oct 16, 6:06 PM
    • 293Posts
    • 154Thanks
    Reclaiming council tax child with autism?
    • #1
    • 13th Oct 16, 6:06 PM
    Reclaiming council tax child with autism? 13th Oct 16 at 6:06 PM
    Hi all. I have just read this article on reclaiming council tax and obtaining a discount on future amounts owed. I'm a bit under the weather at the moment and struggling to read (big headache), but I wonder whether we qualify. My child has been diagnosed with autism and we receive the higher rate care component for disability living allowance. When I read the article, it seemed to me that it had to be another adult with a mental impairment, or at least that there couldn't be another adult in the house. (??) Just to be clear, I live with my partner, we have two kids, one of whom has autism. Would we qualify? And if so, would they just backdate the claim to the date of the diagnosis? After all, she has had it all her life, but they won't see kids for assessment until they reach 7 years of age.
Page 1
    • CIS
    • By CIS 13th Oct 16, 6:43 PM
    • 10,483 Posts
    • 6,053 Thanks
    • #2
    • 13th Oct 16, 6:43 PM
    • #2
    • 13th Oct 16, 6:43 PM
    For Council Tax purposes - a disregard cannot be claimed for a child under 18 years of age as they are not taken in to account anyway for council tax purposes. You wouldn't be able to claim a disregard either as they are under 18 and you are their parent.

    For Council Tax reduction purposes - this would be means tested.

    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery but instead work as a self employed Council Tax specialist. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,101Posts Today

7,193Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin