TD Direct sold to Interactive Investor

Options

Comments

• Nerdlinger
    Options
    Has anyone considered IG?

I'm a bit reluctant as their business model of encouraging gambling is awful but they appear to have a good broker service with no platform fee, low trade commission, Mr Osbourne's Flexible ISA feature (no doubt to encourage gambling) and a golden hello of £250 for >£100k portfolios.

I moved to II from Halifax when the 0.2%p.a. was getting into the £hundreds and then moved to TD when II started their charges.

Second favourite for me would be a return to Halifax since they now charge a more reasonable £12.50 p.a.
  • grey_gym_sock
    Options
    i'm thinking of IG, in case TD / II increase my costs for an ISA holding individual shares, or do something else to annoy me.

IG do have a (£12 per month) inactivity fee, though only after 2 years' inactivity. but i think it said that receiving dividends counted as activity (i could be wrong about that).

halifax/iweb would also be possible, except that i already hold OEICs / unit trusts with iweb, and i like use multiple providers (out of general paranoia).
  • Nerdlinger
    Options
    Does anyone have a IG S&S ISA? Have you successfully resisted the temptation to do a spreadbet?

ggs, if you're thinking of it are you at all concerned about your own self-discipline?

I'm not sure I trust myself enough not to "temporarily" withdraw the cash balance from my flexible ISA to "invest" in some sophisticated financial instrument when my portfolio happens to be doing well and I get that Master Of The Universe feeling... Even though I know that all gamblers are losers.

from a Torygraph article I'm not permitted to link to:

The group hopes that its stockbroking customers will also be attracted to its spread-betting offering.

"We also see an opportunity which is once we’re addressing a much wider audience to get them interested not just in stockbroking but in our existing products," IG's chief executive said.

"It’s a very natural extension: If you’ve got someone doing share trading on your website to [then] start talking to them about maybe occasionally taking a position in the FTSE or occasionally taking a position in gold."
  • grey_gym_sock
    grey_gym_sock Posts: 4,508 Forumite
    edited 2 November 2016 at 10:21PM
    Options
    Nerdlinger wrote: »
    ggs, if you're thinking of it are you at all concerned about your own self-discipline?

personally, no. i have lots of ways to distract myself from making changes in investments: improve my electronic records of past investments (which doesn't yet cover dividends - i think i have all that info on paper); post on here; read monevator; etc.

EDIT to add: and i guess i'm also scared of messing it up. it's all quite entertaining looking at whether my equities are doing a bit better or a bit worse than just holding a global tracker. as long as i don't do anything too dramatic, it's only going to be a bit better or worse. it would be less fun if i did something reckless and it turned out very badly.

i do realize i'm not part of IG's target market, which is active traders generally. (ironically, i hold some IG shares in my ISA with TD.)
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    TD DIRECT INVESTING IS OWNED BY INTERACTIVE INVESTOR LIMITED

TD Direct Investing (Europe) Limited has been sold to Interactive Investor Limited and is no longer affiliated with The Toronto-Dominion Bank. The TD logo and TD Direct Investing name are used under licence from The Toronto-Dominion Bank. The Toronto-Dominion Bank is not responsible for this website or content therein, except in relation to the Savings Account which is provided by TD Bank N.V.

I noticed this popup on TDDI website today, don't recall seeing it before, looks like the deal has been approved. Fingers crossed prices don't change much or at all.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • economic
    economic Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    Options
    I hope II are a safe company to have investments with. Me and my family have around half a million with them.
  • darkidoe
    darkidoe Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Anyone moved out of TD yet because of this takeover and why??

Save 12K in 2020 # 38 £0/£20,000
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Later this year we will bring all customers together under the Interactive Investor name on the same platform, combining the strengths of each service with some new enhancements. You will benefit from further market research and analysis, new model portfolios and investment recommendations – all designed to help you make better informed investing decisions.

We are committed to providing you with great value for money, through simple, fair and competitive charges. We will, therefore, be introducing a new, simpler pricing approach.
    I am waiting to see what simple, fair and competitive prices mean, and if they will be introducing fees to transfer out.
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Not moved, as nothing has changed (yet).

Will see how it goes.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Economic wrote: »
    I am waiting to see what simple, fair and competitive prices mean, and if they will be introducing fees to transfer out.
    Do you think:

We are committed to providing you with great value for money, through simple, fair and competitive charges.

...will mean II current charge structure (for TD customers)
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family