Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Georgia Gatsby
    • By Georgia Gatsby 12th Oct 16, 4:46 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Georgia Gatsby
    Will - with foreign property
    • #1
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:46 PM
    Will - with foreign property 12th Oct 16 at 4:46 PM
    Anyone know how I can find a good and not too expensive London solicitor who can do a will that also includes a house in France?
Page 1
    • WillimS
    • By WillimS 12th Oct 16, 4:51 PM
    • 3,992 Posts
    • 7,665 Thanks
    • #2
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:51 PM
    • #2
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:51 PM
    France, why would you want a place there, not even the migrants/asylum seekers want to live in that place, just ask Lily Allen.
    • Chrishazle
    • By Chrishazle 12th Oct 16, 5:19 PM
    • 466 Posts
    • 289 Thanks
    • #3
    • 12th Oct 16, 5:19 PM
    • #3
    • 12th Oct 16, 5:19 PM
    As a first port of call, I'd try a phone call to Saga Legal Services, they did an excellent job for us about 3 years ago - but we do not have overseas assets (although we do have a particular need that a local solicitor wanted far too much money to include!).

    I also wonder if French inheritance law could be applied to the property. This was a major reason we decided against moving to France 10 years ago, things like no tax free transfer to surviving spouse on first death, inheritance tax payable by surviving spouse, 50% of estate passing to offspring on first death (irrespective of contents of will!!). For sure you need a good legal beagle to get this right, good luck!
    • Mrs pbradley936
    • By Mrs pbradley936 12th Oct 16, 7:52 PM
    • 12,615 Posts
    • 18,943 Thanks
    Mrs pbradley936
    • #4
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:52 PM
    • #4
    • 12th Oct 16, 7:52 PM
    You ought to sell the place in France because will or no will a percentage will go to any children. Their laws are different to ours.
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 15th Oct 16, 8:09 PM
    • 4,685 Posts
    • 1,737 Thanks
    • #5
    • 15th Oct 16, 8:09 PM
    • #5
    • 15th Oct 16, 8:09 PM
    We are in exactly that position having lived in France for 17 years and still have our house there plus a house here in UK.
    We made an agreement in France splitting the house in two as we both have children by previous marriages. That way the children's inheritance is protected if one of us dies.
    Plus we used Will Aid to write wills here in UK with a qualified solicitor who understood our requirements.
    Make sure you have up to date advice, it used to be law that French property, on death of an owner "followed the blood" and you could not write a child out of their inheritance.
    BUT there have been changes recently so get advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,297Posts Today

8,127Users online

Martin's Twitter