Advice Needed

Hoping for some advice here please.

I started a new job towards the back end of August. I have been given a handful of clients to deal with to which I have been dealing with fine. I had a one month review with my line manager who was extremely pleased with me so far.

My problem is that work is incredibly slow. Any requests that come through from co-workers or the clients are dealt with right away and don't take very long to do. The past few days, I've come in to zero emails and nothing to do. I've done the obvious thing of asking my line manager for more work as well as co-workers etc but it's got to the point where there is nothing else for me. I was told that this is a quiet period and that I'll be looking back at this downtime as a good thing but so far, the busy period is failing to materialise. Sounds like a dream to some but not for me. I'm losing the will to live just sat at my desk each day, begging for emails to come through.

Basically, what should I do? Continue to sit here bored or start the whole process of looking for another job again?

Comments

• Have you been told how long the down time will last? It would drive me mad if it was for an extended period, but a few weeks out of the year isn't too bad.

As a new member of staff there may be induction activities or training you can do? Is it possible to take any leave (although you won't technically have accrued much yet).
  • How about asking them if while it's quiet could they put you on any training courses? Ask if they need any more first aiders in the office and if they'd be willing to put you on a first aid course, or maybe fire safety courses. In the place I work I have had to arrange for quite a few people to do First Aid courses and everybody had to partake in a fire safety course (learning to use the different fire extinguishers, what the procedure is if you discover a fire etc). It's not related directly to your job but useful skills to have & might be good for you in future if you do decide to look for another job, because you will have those extra skills. Obviously find out if there is anything in your contract though relating to paying back training costs if you leave within a certain time.
  • It is very normal for work to be slow at certain times of the year, especially when you are new. I would sit tight and re-evaluate your situation after Christmas.
  • Meteorain
    Meteorain Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 11 October 2016 at 12:54PM
    YouAsked wrote: »
    Have you been told how long the down time will last? It would drive me mad if it was for an extended period, but a few weeks out of the year isn't too bad.

As a new member of staff there may be induction activities or training you can do? Is it possible to take any leave (although you won't technically have accrued much yet).

No. Just that it'll pick up. No say of when though.
    It is very normal for work to be slow at certain times of the year, especially when you are new. I would sit tight and re-evaluate your situation after Christmas.

That's what I thought. Just stick it out. No exaggerating though when I say that I come in to nothing all day. Christmas is still a decent amount of time away to do nothing everyday.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Download the kindle app on your computer? A perfect time to catch up on your reading and get paid for it!
  • sangie595 wrote: »
    Download the kindle app on your computer? A perfect time to catch up on your reading and get paid for it!

I wish that was possible!

Mkaes me concerned that come the end of my 3 month probation, they'd chose to not keep me on due to the workload.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure