Pizza Takeaway Makign me pay for a damaged sign

Comments

• NotRichAtAll
    NotRichAtAll Posts: 888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 October 2016 at 10:00PM
    if they make me pay do you think i should take this to court as they have mentioned figures of around £200-£500 to fix it.

how are they going to make you pay?

can you post a piccy of the sign or a similar sign as am confused you said in 1 part it was a metal a frame style which i thought were the kind that are free standing in the path or outside the shp etc then you say you think it was not fixed to the wall properly so is it s free standing sign or wall sign, if a wall sign how high was it for you to brush it with your shoulder?

pdf about signs have no idea if its of any use
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/11499/326679.pdf

is it one of these ?
    https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-EqWdN7FXSlw/V6tc2sAwreI/AAAAAAAAN_Q/RE67ecNfvf8teaQpmqwjVBLAPiK5NrdawCLcB/s1600/papajohn.jpg

or one like this?
    http://i4.accringtonobserver.co.uk/incoming/article11708658.ece/ALTERNATES/s1200/JS96299630.jpg
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I would tell him to do one, despite what people say any fixtures and fittings in the public spaces should be durable enough for some one to lean on.

For blame there needs to be liability, liability comes with negligence, were you negligent? No at most it was accidental so no blame.

Ignore it and then if it does go to court you will win, but it won't because hes at it.
  • Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,423 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    I wouldn't even think about paying for the broken sign unless you deliberately vandalised it. If you were hurt in any way you should think about counter claiming if they try to take you to court.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Zandoni wrote: »
    I wouldn't even think about paying for the broken sign unless you deliberately vandalised it. If you were hurt in any way you should think about counter claiming if they try to take you to court.
    Just because he may not have done it "deliberately" doesn't mean he's not responsible for the damage.
  • If Papa Johns damaged something on your property that you had paid for would you shrug it off and say shucks it was only an accident or would you be on this board asking members how you can get them to pay for the damage?
  • From what you describe I'm amazed that the police turned out for this on a Saturday night! Do you know how Papa John's described this incident to them to make them respond? Did they suggest you were causing some sort of disturbance or public order offence?

How will they sue you? Did the police take your details and pass them on?

I doubt you can cause £200 worth of damage by accidentally leaning against something. But if it had been me, and I'd broken something, I might have offered a tenner without accepting liability.

Other fast food outlets are available.
  • how are they going to make you pay?

Have you not heard of the small claims court?
  • Zandoni
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Just because he may not have done it "deliberately" doesn't mean he's not responsible for the damage.

If you open your premises to the public it needs to be a safe and well made environment able to withstand day to day use.
  • Zandoni
    If Papa Johns damaged something on your property that you had paid for would you shrug it off and say shucks it was only an accident or would you be on this board asking members how you can get them to pay for the damage?

I'd call the police if Papa Johns entered my property, I live in a house not a fast food establishment.
  • Zandoni wrote: »
    I'd call the police if Papa Johns entered my property, I live in a house not a fast food establishment.

I like your reply I like your use of words I like Pizza
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport