Pizza Takeaway Makign me pay for a damaged sign

Basically last night went to papa johns for a pizza

while waitiing a accidently lent against 1 of those stupid signs which are on laminated board on a metal a frame. thought nothing of it until the guy came over to me saying i would after to pay for the damage, basically he got the police and they more aless sided against him, the incident was on CCTV and only evidence ive got is a picture showing the broken plastic bracket

basically i dont feel the sign was on the wall properly and was potentially a health and safety hazard as its not as if i vandlizaed it just leant against it.

if they make me pay do you think i should take this to court as they have mentioned figures of around £200-£500 to fix it.

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    robz2008 wrote: »

while waitiing a accidently lent against 1 of those stupid signs which are on laminated board on a metal a frame. thought nothing of it until the guy came over to me saying i would after to pay for the damage, basically he got the police and they more aless sided against him, the incident was on CCTV and only evidence ive got is a picture showing the broken plastic bracket

basically i dont feel the sign was on the wall properly and was potentially a health and safety hazard as its not as if i vandlizaed it just leant against it.

if they make me pay do you think i should take this to court as they have mentioned figures of around £200-£500 to fix it.
    Have I got this right?

You leant against a sign and it broke?

Seems pretty straightforward to me.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Was it damaged before you leaned against it?

If not then regardless of how flimsy you think it is you still accidentally damaged their property and you will have to cover the cost of putting it right.

Ask them if you can find your own contractor to fix it and get a few quotes so you know how much to offer, I wouldn't just pay up the full amount they are asking if I were you I would want to see some quotes before agreeing to a figure.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You were on your own?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

You lent on it and it broke, sounds like you should pay for the damage.

Would you be happy as a business owner if someone broke a sign of yours ?
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181
    Forumite
    hollydays wrote: »
    You were on your own?

He was once the sign was broken.

His mates were quicker than him. :D
  • Fat_Walt
    Fat_Walt Posts: 750 Forumite
    So you were !!!!ed up and fell against the sign, argued the toss and they called the police.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Fat_Walt wrote: »
    So you were !!!!ed up and fell against the sign, argued the toss and they called the police.

I was thinking along similar lines
  • robz2008
    robz2008 Posts: 12 Forumite
    basically wasnt drunk, i caught it more aless with my shoulder hardly any force and it fell off. im not sure if it was broken before as the plastic bracket was broken and i did not put that much force onto it.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,333
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    A plastic bracket is going to cost very little, to the police unless they are charging you its a civil matter. Don't go there again.
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102
    Forumite

If you dispute that the cost of repairing the damage was as much as they are claiming or you dispute that you acted negligently then you can refuse to pay.

If you do that then the onus is on them suing you if they want to force you to pay. If they do sue you they will need to show you acted negligently and that the amount they are claiming for the damage is reasonable.

I suspect a court will place a lot of weight on what the cctv shows. If you merely brushed past the sign I doubt they would consider that negligent. However if, for example, you leaned heavily on the sign then they might conclude that was negligent.

If they sue you and win then you will most likely have to pay certain court costs on top of the cost of repairing/replacing the damaged sign.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure