PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Would you be concerned re hs2

Comments

• moneysaver12
    moneysaver12 Posts: 2,027 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The village where we are wanting to move to is where my boys go to school. Currently we live nearly 4 miles from school.
    Married 09/09/09
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Twopints wrote: »
    It's not necessarily the railway and trains that are the main problem, it's the years of construction required and the impact of hundreds of lorry movements on local roads and villages / towns e.g. removing spoil when creating tunnels or cuttings.

The problems are starting already as construction related traffic is just turning up in some places.
  • lewisa
    lewisa Posts: 301 Forumite
    The problems are starting already as construction related traffic is just turning up in some places.

Perfect time to buy then.

There are villages near me where previously you would never see a for sale sign let alone have any chance buying there.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    The village where we are wanting to move to is where my boys go to school. Currently we live nearly 4 miles from school.

I know I'm going to sound like a character from "Last of the Summer Wine", but I walked or cycled three miles to Primary School for 3 years. Do you really need to move?

It may be a sensible move... But, you are moving closer to an uncertain situation, and I'd want to be reasonably sure HS2 wasn't going to be the bane of my life. Or, that my mindset wouldn't make it so.

That's a personal choice. The ability to resell without huge loss is more calculable. That's what I'd want to know.

Off for my pint of mild, and to grumble about everything... youth of today, too many TV channels..…. Oh to be young! Harumph.

I would tread carefully if moving (my young family) toward a 'situation' ... Wouldn't not do it, but would tread very, very carefully.
  • moneysaver12
    At the moment we are renting. We have been given the chance to be able to buy a house. I have looked for houses to buy where we are but there is nothing suitable I have looked at the two villages that are not as far from my children's school and they are expensive. Then I have looked at a village that would be just less than 4 miles from school and there is some houses there.

It's do we risk it and move nearer the school or move just less than four miles from school. Currently we are just less than four miles from school. I don't mind the drive, it is down country roads so doesnt take long. Whereas the other village that is similar distance from school would mean driving on main roads.
    Married 09/09/09
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    .... and the number of local roads that will be sliced in half, leaving a few others as triple-trafic rat-runs...

I'd have to be reasonably convinced the price I would be paying had taken most of the potential drop. The noise and irritation of the endless build would concern me.

Should be easy enough to check the detail of this though given that the route is known - maybe not the exact effect of construction work but the OP could take an educated guess.
  • Running_Horse
    Running_Horse Posts: 11,807 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Remember all the fuss when they built HS1? All those little villages not wanting it anywhere near them, while French towns were campaigning for it to come to them. Now you barely notice it, and even villages right next to it are stupidly expensive to buy in. Now could be a good time to find a long term bargain.
    Been away for a while.
  • moneysaver12
    Just discovered that it's going to be 450 metres away rather than 800. Also the depot is going to be 500 metres away
    Married 09/09/09
  • Mickygg
    Mickygg Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Just discovered that it's going to be 450 metres away rather than 800. Also the depot is going to be 500 metres away

You need to be 100% sure how far away it is. In a few hours it's been reduced by half!
  • moneysaver12
    The current owners said 800 metres. I got in touch with someone who lives on the next street who said 450. I'm going to contact some one I know who actually lives on the street.
    Married 09/09/09
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport