Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • alcur
    • By alcur 8th Oct 16, 1:41 PM
    • 33Posts
    • 20Thanks
    Transferring Property Title
    • #1
    • 8th Oct 16, 1:41 PM
    Transferring Property Title 8th Oct 16 at 1:41 PM

    I own a property worth c. 250,000 (completed on Friday) which I wish to transfer to my parents.

    My parents own a property worth c 60,000 (owned and resided for 22+ years) that they wish to transfer to me.

    Both properties are mortgage free.

    Can anyone explain the motions involved in completing the transfer between us?

Page 1
    • Freecall
    • By Freecall 8th Oct 16, 6:05 PM
    • 1,067 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    • #2
    • 8th Oct 16, 6:05 PM
    • #2
    • 8th Oct 16, 6:05 PM
    It will be very straightforward, the values are essentially irrelevant. If you own it then you are free to give it away to whomever you wish (although not sure why you registered it in your name first - it would have been easier and cheaper to give them the cash). Likewise for you parents.

    Your solicitor should be able to handle the paperwork for a very small fee as it will be straightforward. Alternatively you could do it yourself using the forms available on the HMLR website but for the sake of a couple of hundred quid it is probably easier to have your solicitor do it as (presumably) they have just handled the initial registration of your new house.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 9th Oct 16, 12:39 PM
    • 43,791 Posts
    • 51,758 Thanks
    • #3
    • 9th Oct 16, 12:39 PM
    • #3
    • 9th Oct 16, 12:39 PM
    Solicitor? Why? This is a moneysaving site!

    Providing neither property has a mortgage (or other controlling Charge) and providing both properties are registered (check here for 3 + 3 each property), it is straightforward.

    For each transfer you'll need:

    * TR1
    * AP1
    * ID1

    plus you hand over a cheque for whatever amount you agree.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,585Posts Today

5,622Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke?

  • No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr?

  • Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R?

  • Follow Martin