Help - Warranty Co gone Bust

2»

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Holly303 wrote: »
    Thanks very much for the reply but it was on my debit card - any claim still?

You'd have to investigate whether a Chargeback claim (for the cost of the warranty rather than the cost of any warranty claims you might have in the future) might be accepted, it might be possible given that the warranty now has no value.
  • Holly303
    Holly303 Posts: 12 Forumite
    agrinnall wrote: »
    You'd have to investigate whether a Chargeback claim (for the cost of the warranty rather than the cost of any warranty claims you might have in the future) might be accepted, it might be possible given that the warranty now has no value.

do I do this with my bank?
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    agrinnall wrote: »

Doesn't Chargeback require the bank to recover the funds from the seller's account? They won't be able to do that.
  • Holly303
    will phone my bank and ask their advice
  • uknick
    uknick Posts: 1,624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Holly

How long ago did you buy the car?

Was it an Approved Used Citroen? If so, you should have at least 1 years Citroen backed warranty.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    What does your paperwork saying about the warranty? If nothing I wonder if you can argue they are not agents, but the warranty company are effectively their underwriters.
  • Rain_Shadow
    Rain_Shadow Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    Holly303 wrote: »
    this is also the issue, I was not told I wasn't buying an official Citreon warranty seeing as I was buying a 3 year old car from a Citreon dealership I actually thought I was. The paperwork/receipt also does not say it's through a third party
    arcon5 wrote: »
    What does your paperwork saying about the warranty? If nothing I wonder if you can argue they are not agents, but the warranty company are effectively their underwriters.

I get the impression there isn't a 'warranty company'. I think the dealer was issuing their own warranty and effectively gambling that any claim brought under it could be rejected as not covered or would cost them less than £699 to resolve.
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
  • droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    That was going to be my question - what does the warranty document say? There should be paperwork to say what's covered and what isn't, and who provides the warranty. If there isn't, then it's just the dealer keeping the money, which I would think is unusual - most want to underwrite it somewhere else, at least in part so they can say "it's not covered, but it's not our fault" if anything goes wrong.

I bought a TV with an extended warranty, it failed during the warranty period but long after the shop had closed down, but I phoned the warranty company from the paperwork and they still processed the claim and fixed it.
  • Rain_Shadow
    Rain_Shadow Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    droopsnoot wrote: »
    That was going to be my question - what does the warranty document say? There should be paperwork to say what's covered and what isn't, and who provides the warranty. If there isn't, then it's just the dealer keeping the money, which I would think is unusual - most want to underwrite it somewhere else, at least in part so they can say "it's not covered, but it's not our fault" if anything goes wrong.

But if they were already struggling financially then maybe the prospect of an extra £699 on a few sales would be attractive.
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
  • Holly303
    uknick wrote: »
    Holly

How long ago did you buy the car?

Was it an Approved Used Citroen? If so, you should have at least 1 years Citroen backed warranty.

The 1 year Citreon Select warranty is up on 1st November which is when the extended warranty was due to take over.

It was not made clear that this was with City rather than Citreon although I have previously had a Ford with City Motors & used the extended warranty without any question/problem on a few occasions.

It turned out to be well worth having which is why I purchased it again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure