Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jvr
    • By jvr 3rd Oct 16, 11:17 AM
    • 420Posts
    • 1,304Thanks
    jvr
    Changing habits, wanting freedom
    • 3rd Oct 16, 11:17 AM
    Changing habits, wanting freedom 3rd Oct 16 at 11:17 AM
    So finally looking at starting a diary, need something to keep me on track! So debt stands at 5,481.43 was originally about 6,000 6 months ago. It!!!8217;s a mixture of spending due to buying our first house and not adjusting to me being on a much lower income down about 10,000 a year.
    So I am 27 and live with my OH and two dogs and one cat. We want to think about having children soonish and the debt needs to be gone. Complications are due to the fact my OH is
    from SA, every two years we have had about 2,000 to pay out for visa!!!8217;s we also have to send money back to SA to family over there. Luckily the next visa in 2.5 years time will be for citizenship but could cost about 3,000.

1 year ago I quit my well paid but horrendous job and started working in admin and a horrifying low wage but without any of the stress. I!!!8217;m a bit bored now but love my team and organisation so hopeful that I can change my role within the team and have it be a bit more interesting and more money!! Between me and OH we earn just under 40,000 a year so where the hell does it go!?
    Things holding us back !!!8211; my OH is terrible with money (not that I am perfect) although he is getting better its hard. We also both smoke!!!8230;.. Switched to role ups and have halved the costs but still for our bank balance/ health and hope to have kids we have to stop this. My mental health is also a bit of a problem with on and off depression and anxiety making things tricky.
    I control our spending except for OH!!!8217;s allowance which he often runs out of far too early considering how much he gets. For last 3 months have stopped putting anything on cards, have redecorated down stairs without making more debt and have paid off about 100 a month. Also started a savings account for Christmas and OH!!!8217;s car insurance next year in hope to not spend ages paying debt just to get back into it when a big bill comes along! Did all the switching energy suppliers etc to save money but just seems to end up in black hole. Also started cycling to and from work which saves on bus fair and is good for health!
    Other big expense is I am have driving lessons at the moment which is holding back the debt repayment and feeling frustrating but has to be done if hope to get this other job ~(and just because in life it is good idea!!)
    Been reading lots of diarys and found so many people inspiring yet I still seem to run through money with nothing to show for it!!!8230;. So hoping this will keep my on track!

If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Jessica; 30-05-2017 at 2:32 PM.
    Debt: 10,006 now 8698.38
    Emergency Fund: 456.17/ 1000

Page 20
    • jvr
    • By jvr 5th Mar 18, 9:16 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    jvr
    Hmmm I have just remembered I never put my other personal spends on here.... maybe that's guilt haha

so I spent 19 on some boots... they won't last for ages but are smart flat boots which I don't have for work as my old ones are too scruffy now and I really need to get smarter... all valid points but less be honest I just wanted them. Comes out of my allowance this month and I really need new foundation but may have to survive on the cheap stuff, in my cupboard till 21st, I also got a bracelet for 4 as was the same cost as shipping and got me free shipping. I also got a tape measure and inscense on amazon super cheap.

So confession over, I have brought all my food to work but need to fill up on petrol as I am playing a risky game of getting home tonight....

• jvr
    • By jvr 6th Mar 18, 8:17 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    jvr
    Couple of spends yesterday 34 full tank of petrol and 8 on a kickboxing class, was an hour and a half long and my arms hurt today so I am sure will be agony by tomorrow.
    Feel like I am just counting down to the 21st when I can update signature and know if I have managed month 2!
    I need more foundation and the only one I love is very expensive... 33 but I bought the boots and although I have plenty left in my allowance I have birthday meal for friends on Friday and mothers day on sunday so I am going to use a cheap one in my drawer until the 21st... this may sound like nothing in the MSE world but I have always considered this something I wouldn't cut out. Now I'm not saying I will because honestly it makes m feel so much better but even accepting a delay and a couple of weeks using a rubbish one is a big deal! Having typed that out I realise how incredibly sad that sounds haha

• SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 7th Mar 18, 8:27 AM
    • 1,921 Posts
    • 15,450 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    It doesn't sound like nothing at all JVR. We all have our vices. It's only when we look under the microscope at our finances we see them. So a huge well done on not only recognising it, but also making a plan which won't come back to haunt you.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • jvr
    • By jvr 8th Mar 18, 9:59 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    jvr
    Thanks speky... I'm feeling a bit sulky about it but it's the right thing to do!
    Set off for work this morning didn't get far before I abandoned my car and walked home! Where did this snow come from?!
    Will update money wise when hands warm up enough to type...

• jvr
    • By jvr 9th Mar 18, 8:53 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    jvr
    Well very bizarre day yesterday... set of to work in a snow storm... abandoned my car about 10 mins away from home and walked back. Every road was blocked by accidents and buses jack knifing across the roads.......... by lunch time I drove in and my biggest issue was the glare from the sun!
    I can't remember all the spends this week, but I know it was just extra food bits we had run out of and been unable to get in main food shop due to delivery issues with all the snow.
    Last night I went to a kettlebell class at the local community run gym... 4.50 was really fun although we didn't touch a kettlebell haha.
    Tonight I have a meal for two friends birthdays and need to pick up another little present for one of them, I have 32 in present fund at the moment so its all covered.
    things came to a bit of a head the other night with OH as he has basically no money left till the 21st, because he sent his mum 50. I probably sound really harsh but it drives me mad sending her money. Yes she is struggling...... but she smokes the most expensive cigarettes in SA and lies about how many she has. All marcos money saving suggestions such as buying meat in bulk from our friends farm are just ignored. I feel like I spend so much time menu planning and budgeting and doing without so why are we sending money for them to have to not bother to do that... we have debts too and they just seem to think we have this easy life. We also are expected to visit them every year because they can't afford to visit us, so how can we send 60 a month and save 2000 a year to see them!

Sorry I needed a rant..... I think OH see's my point and realises it is okay to be frustrated

• jvr
    • By jvr 9th Mar 18, 11:24 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    jvr
    Just had some fraud on my cc account... I know will get it back but its annoying and will mess with my numbers! One good thing is unlike normal I'm not panicking about them being cancelled and reissued as we don't use them anyway

• jvr
    • By jvr 11th Mar 18, 10:47 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    jvr
    Friday night was spendy for meal for two of us... We shared a curry with sides and starters but people obviously calculated there total wrong who left earlier and ended up having to put an extra 10 in to cover the bill....wasn't impressed but anyway food and petrol pot basically empty so no way will manage till 21st without raising the pots.

I can see where it has gone wrong... Food shops my diet is more expensive and OH has had to many moments of popping out for bits.

Smoking... Enough said I haven't stopped yet and really isn't money for it.

Not budgeting for meal out, I should have put some aside for it.

It's a very expensive month anyway with car service and dogs injections and needing to put money aside for switching gas and electric supplier as I am sure will owe the old supplier.

So my goal for the next 10 days is limiting the damage and can see where we stand on the 21st.

Oh also spent 10 on sending sis flowers as she has ME and is very ill at the moment, not well enough to even really speak on the phone so I wanted to send something to brighten her room... From home bargains, I didn't even know they did flower delivery

• jvr
    • By jvr 12th Mar 18, 7:39 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    jvr
    So money is very tight.... still waiting to hear how much KLM will give as cold hard cash instead of vouchers, hoping if that comes through soon can plug the gap and boost the EF.

Some spends yesterday, needed dairy free marge to make my mum a cake & flowers. Also picked up mascara and bronzer which really could have waited till the 21st. Needed batteries for my scales which are stupid expensive ones and then got some dairy free toppings also for the cake.... I think that was it!

• jvr
    • By jvr 13th Mar 18, 7:42 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    jvr
    Small spends yesterday.... used my M&S card from switching banks to get some veg and bits for dinner and then spend 10 on jogging bottoms for OH going into surgery.... he looked at 20 ones and then found a cheaper shop... progress of sorts.

He is sure something is wrong with out boiler as water not getting hot enough.... I do find the water is not as hot recently but I think that's down to the weather, baring in mind I still add cold tap to my shower... he had a rant about getting someone out and I had to point out we had NO money! Sometimes feel this is all on me and I constantly have to say no or think about this or that its exhausting and frustrating

• SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 13th Mar 18, 8:48 AM
    • 1,921 Posts
    • 15,450 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Progress indeed! It's the small things which add up. And perhaps holding off with calling off an engineer is wise, given that it's not like you've no hot water.

Rome wasn't built in a day.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • jvr
    • By jvr 13th Mar 18, 3:31 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    jvr
    Oh I'm not calling an engineer... and he is far to lazy to sort it himself so think I am on to a win with that!

Car service came in at 198!! Still waiting to hear for what, we had put aside 200 but had to use 100 to prob up the budget, luckily I could raid our shiny new EF which is now looking sad but at least it was there! Just hoping this isn't the start of the car costing us a fortune but will discuss with OH tonight, hope he won't be too dramatic just because he wants a new car!

• jvr
    • By jvr 15th Mar 18, 10:08 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    jvr
    Inching toward pay day... shop in Iceland's fancy warehouse food place yesterday spent 35 some of that could have waited but I was too tired to think it all through. 4.50 on a swim which was lovely last night. Very over budgets this week and as a result EF taken a hit, but still reducing the debt so its a win of sorts although lots of lessons for next month.
    I think need to increase food budget so I have done on spreadsheet and try to aim to have left over money for holiday fund, cigarettes have also caused my to go over allowance so it back to roll ups and trying to find a way to quit!

The mechanic says the car will need quite a bit at the MOT later in the year so having to mega increase the car fund budget, so saving for that and next years insurance while paying this years insurance monthly!

In super positive news got the refund in cash from KLM instead!! It's less than would get as airline vouchers but 500! The EF fund has been bumped up nicely and with increasing the other budgets hoping it won't get touched. We have my mums 60th in April but have budgeted for present and meal and decorations for the party. Other than that should be a quiet month. Looking forward to updating my totals on the 21st!

• LiveLifeFull
    • By LiveLifeFull 15th Mar 18, 11:10 AM
    • 83 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    LiveLifeFull
    Congrats on the cash refund! That will help so much and fatten up the budgets a little bit!

I feel you regarding the car. They cost so much money but are pretty much essential to most people these days. But just think, before our LBMs, we would have just whacked it on a CC to worry about another day. At least we are actively aware of the situation now, and how much they are costing us, instead of burying our heads in the sand.

Honestly, I just think its all about planning! If you don't plan your budget for the next month, you just throw money away. At least all your money is now given a specific purpose!

I'm cheering you on
    My CC - Feb 18 849.69 Mar 18 839.95 Apr 18 705.78
    My OD - Feb 18 1250.00 Mar 18 1250.00 Apr 18 1250.00
    OH CC - Feb 18 976.00 Mar 18 901.00 Apr 18 802.00
    OH OD - Feb 18 500.00 Mar 18 500.00 Apr 18 500.00
    TOTAL OD/CC DEBT: Feb 18 3575.69 Mar 18 3490.95 Apr 18 3257.78
    OD/CC DEBT FREE DATE: OCTOBER 2018
    • jvr
    • By jvr 15th Mar 18, 12:39 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    jvr
    I know if it was someone else's diary I would be saying the same about how great it is we actually had the money available and saved.... but I feel sad at my poor lil emergency fund haha

I was just sat thinking about OH's pay and realised that his 28 weeks of SSP will be running out soon, this never even crossed my mind so that's 400 a month that will be going. Been messing with budgets to look at reducing debt repayment and which pots could be lower. I feel like we can manage on this but it may be a few months of coasting rather than really doing much with the debt. Frustrating as I hoped once we got 1000 in the EF we could be paying more.... such is life and I'm glad I realised now!

• jvr
    • By jvr 19th Mar 18, 10:08 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    jvr
    Trying to remember where I even am with spends! food spends have been high so need a plan to control these next month.

Friday, I joined my mum with her PT session which is only 5 for an extra person was really fun and think can join her every other week. It!!!8217;s a tiny gym that holds one session at a time so we put on Abba and worked away haha!
    Saturday, I woke with horrendous sinus pain so the day was a total right off, except taking the dogs for their injections 64 (budgeted for yay me) and with the snow I was happy to just curl up in bed, we ordered pizza that evening which is a) bad for my diet and b) bad for finances so that was 9 gone!!!8230;.
    Sunday, I woke up feeling energised from the pain going and started cleaning the house, when OH woke up he joined me and I think I managed 6 hours! It was full scrub down including things like skirting boards which we never do but with two dogs the place was pretty grubby. I made my breakfast and enough left over for lunch, carefully boxed it all up in Tupperware, went upstairs for 10 mins and the dog somehow opened the boxes and helped herself to it all!!!8230; leaving 3 lonely peas! I was not impressed and now have a random lunch of tuna with green beans and two boiled eggs. I am pleased I managed to resist saying oh sod it and just buying lunch but we shall see how I feel come lunch time with my strange selection!!!8230;.
    Today I survived a slippy trip into work although forgot my laptop which is a pain!

I!!!8217;m thinking of starting a new diary as in very different place to when I began this one.
    I!!!8217;m struggling a bit with things I want, mainly clothes really and just a bit fed up of that feeling of not being able to grab what I want!!!8230; mind you that!!!8217;s what got us into this issue!

• jvr
    • By jvr 19th Mar 18, 10:30 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    jvr
    New diary is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5812723

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,014Posts Today

5,872Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin