Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • plainandsimple
    • By plainandsimple 29th Sep 16, 9:18 AM
    • 40Posts
    • 146Thanks
    plainandsimple
    How Much Do You Budget For Groceries?
    • 29th Sep 16, 9:18 AM
    How Much Do You Budget For Groceries? 29th Sep 16 at 9:18 AM
    Looking for some guidance, please. I'd like to find out what other households budget for and spend on groceries and household items each month. For the last 8 months or so we've been going over budget.

We've not increased our food budget for a few years, and I really don't know if we're not budgeting enough or if there's another problem with it. I know food costs have risen, but I cook all our meals from scratch (we perhaps buy something processed like a pizza a couple of times a year).

I grew up in a thrifty house and can turn about anything into a meal. I make my own stock and know how to stretch a chicken. We eat a lot of homemade soups and stews. I've never thought our per meal costs are expensive, and we only eat meat once or twice a week. We eat lots of pulses and veg and it's usually porridge for breakfast. My husband takes a packed lunch to work every day. I work at home and look after our son, so we eat lunch at home. Our lunch is leftovers or a sandwich.

Our household is me, my husband and our 12 month old. We budget 200 per month and that's for food, toiletries and cleaning products. I use one cleaning product for everything. So, is our budget too low or should I be able to make that work? What do you spend for your household and what types of meals do you make?

If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Jessica; 11-10-2016 at 2:23 PM.
Page 5
    • lambda
    • By lambda 25th Oct 16, 10:14 AM
    • 221 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    lambda
    For a household of two adults, I budget 120 a month. Looking at YNAB, I spend on average 113.38 a month.

We shop at LIDL and ALDI for everything, only going to Tesco for the odd item we can't get there.
    October 2015 = -13242.16 DFD 28/10/2016 0
    • bearcat16
    • By bearcat16 27th Oct 16, 10:16 AM
    • 327 Posts
    • 391 Thanks
    bearcat16
    I had no idea how much we spent on groceries until a few months ago I got an app that tracks it. It can only track card transactions (not cash) but I never use cash for groceries anyway.

I thought we probably spent about 250 ish (just 2 adults in our house, and 2 cats)

It was something of a surprise to learn the truth:

That includes food and everything else you get in the supermarket (eg cleaning stuff, washing powder, dishwasher liquid etc etc), but after reading this thread it seems a little on the high side. Hey ho.

I should add that we hardly drink at all, maybe 2 or 3 units each per month (life on the edge!) and don't have expensive tastes.

This also doesn't include our once per week takeaway treat (about 40 over the month) for which we pay cash.
    Last edited by bearcat16; 27-10-2016 at 10:23 AM.
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 27th Oct 16, 2:23 PM
    • 2,507 Posts
    • 2,966 Thanks
    chelseablue
    I had no idea how much we spent on groceries until a few months ago I got an app that tracks it. It can only track card transactions (not cash) but I never use cash for groceries anyway.

I thought we probably spent about 250 ish (just 2 adults in our house, and 2 cats)

It was something of a surprise to learn the truth:

That includes food and everything else you get in the supermarket (eg cleaning stuff, washing powder, dishwasher liquid etc etc), but after reading this thread it seems a little on the high side. Hey ho.

I should add that we hardly drink at all, maybe 2 or 3 units each per month (life on the edge!) and don't have expensive tastes.

This also doesn't include our once per week takeaway treat (about 40 over the month) for which we pay cash.
    Originally posted by bearcat16
    That's amazing! What is the app called please?
    Mortgage starting balance 231,000
    Mortgage after Year 1 225,000
    Mortgage after Year 2 218,000
    • bearcat16
    • By bearcat16 27th Oct 16, 3:20 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 391 Thanks
    bearcat16
    That's amazing! What is the app called please?
    Moneyhub. It is very good, though it's not free. It costs 99p per month (or 9.99 per year).

You enter the login details for your various accounts and it keeps track of all transactions for them. For the first few weeks, it asks you what category you want things put in (eg Asda etc goes into groceries and so on) but it learns as it goes.

That graph at the top is just one part of it, you can scroll down through the transactions that make up that amount - useful if, like me, you think "how could I have spent that much on eating out", then you scroll down and see that the cheap greggs sandwich every other day adds up to 40 over the month.

You can also put assets (like house, car etc) in as well as debts that can't link electronically, such as to family members, and enter transactions manually.

It isn't perfect though, I have found it has trouble connecting to Tesco bank for some reason, and the first couple of tries it somehow switched the account to paperless billing - which I didn't want. But that was an anomaly, overall it's really good.
    It's been a real suprise to learn what I'm actually spending money on.
    • katy_ann
    • By katy_ann 27th Oct 16, 4:50 PM
    • 1,011 Posts
    • 5,429 Thanks
    katy_ann
    For myself, my husband and our soon to be newborn we budget 180 a month, this includes shower gels, shampoos, nappies, baby food and a cooked meal for every night. I'm fairly happy with this amount as it has gotten us everything we need, obviously when our little man is born there may be other things we need and we may need to adjust our budget but we will see
    Officially Debt Free on 10/12/2015 | Married on 02/07/2016
    Mummy to a little prince 25/11/2016

2 Savers Club 2018 No.25
    • omendata
    • By omendata 5th Aug 18, 10:48 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    omendata
    For myself, my husband and our soon to be newborn we budget 180 a month, this includes shower gels, shampoos, nappies, baby food and a cooked meal for every night. I'm fairly happy with this amount as it has gotten us everything we need, obviously when our little man is born there may be other things we need and we may need to adjust our budget but we will see
    Originally posted by katy_ann
    Thats pretty good going - just shows you careful and intelligent folks like you can do it - its the obese and wasters out there who moan that they cannot survive - if you come to Slovakia the average wage is 400 a month and they have learned to use everything and throw nothing out - pretty amazing actually some of the stuff I have seen out here; I have probably seen 10 or 20 obese folks out here in 10 years - makes you ashamed to be British with a small "B".
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 6th Aug 18, 5:32 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 3,483 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    Thats pretty good going - just shows you careful and intelligent folks like you can do it - its the obese and wasters out there who moan that they cannot survive - if you come to Slovakia the average wage is 400 a month and they have learned to use everything and throw nothing out - pretty amazing actually some of the stuff I have seen out here; I have probably seen 10 or 20 obese folks out here in 10 years - makes you ashamed to be British with a small "B".
    Originally posted by omendata
    Bit odd picking on a post from nearly 2 years ago seemingly to slag other people off, but I think this forum is meant to be supportive and non judgemental
    June GC 218.09/ 300; July GC 259.17/ 250 ; August 130.47/240
    Aug NSD target 6/20. Aug Bring Your Lunch to Work Target 5/11 Aug 1 a day 57.94/31
    Cashback YTD 4.34- claims in for 38.91 untracked cashback. Tesco CC 8000 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC 4500 0% 18mnths
    • Teasedale
    • By Teasedale 7th Aug 18, 6:59 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Teasedale
    One of several benefits of no longer eating meat was that the food bill dropped sharply. I also feel healthier and apparently can expect to live longer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

132Posts Today

1,457Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin