How Much Do You Budget For Groceries?

Comments

• SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    There are a lot of previous threads where people have asked exactly the same question as you.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4148389&highlight=monthly+spend+budget

Much of that the prices are out of date, but the ideas are just the same.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • lazer-zxr wrote: »
    Food and Cleaning products from Asda / Tesco / Morrisons.
    2 adults, 2 children (5 & 7), and a cat.
    £290 per month budgeted and achieved.

Some batch cooking, all fresh meat and veg (no ready meals), but mostly own brand products.

Weekly big shop, followed by the odd top up.

I'm comfortable with this value, not looking to save any more.

But by going to Aldi/Lidl, you could probably get this down to £250 without any effort.

That's £480 a year! Enough to knock a sizeable chunk off the electricity, gas or water bill. Or a long weekend away without the kids in a decent hotel. Not to be sneezed at.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    We budget £240PM for food and sundries. In reality I spend around £200 on the 3 of us at the moment, even cooking from scratch I can only save pennies, EG I save 30p a week making greek style yogurt over buying it.

Only our lad eats meat, so I make a massive saving there and quite often im only feeding two of us both veggie, Sounds like to need to up your food budget rather than cut your shopping bill. health is more important than debt.
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    But by going to Aldi/Lidl, you could probably get this down to £250 without any effort.

You assume there is a Lidl or Aldi near them... until recently we didn't have any for 20+ miles - now I only have to drive 8 miles for both ;)

OK fine - I actually work close to an Aldi now, but my point is that not everyone lives close to an Aldi or Lidl... I also find I buy more when I shop there as I'm a sucker for their offers (mini stollen... I mean come on!!! how can anyone walk past them???) and the scandi themed stuff I go nuts on being Scandi...

I need to re-look at our grocery budget again - but I have no intention of compromising on certain things which would be scoffed at on OS or in here: I use an expensive washing liquid and fabric softener because I tend to react easily, I find one that works and I stick with it! Ditto cleaning products.
    Food - If I had time to cook from scratch all the time I could save, but I am out at work for 10 hours minimum a day and often work in the evening too - then I have cleaning and washing to do, spending some precious time with my daughter so from time to time semi prepared meals sneaks in because frankly I'm exhausted! :rotfl:

You need to find a budget that works for YOU - I know what I'm comfortable with personally whilst still hammering my debts :) Could I reduce it? Absolutely and if it was a matter of making minimum payments then I would :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • MrsTinks wrote: »
    You assume there is a Lidl or Aldi near them... until recently we didn't have any for 20+ miles - now I only have to drive 8 miles for both ;)

OK fine - I actually work close to an Aldi now, but my point is that not everyone lives close to an Aldi or Lidl... I also find I buy more when I shop there as I'm a sucker for their offers (mini stollen... I mean come on!!! how can anyone walk past them???) and the scandi themed stuff I go nuts on being Scandi...

I need to re-look at our grocery budget again - but I have no intention of compromising on certain things which would be scoffed at on OS or in here: I use an expensive washing liquid and fabric softener because I tend to react easily, I find one that works and I stick with it! Ditto cleaning products.
    Food - If I had time to cook from scratch all the time I could save, but I am out at work for 10 hours minimum a day and often work in the evening too - then I have cleaning and washing to do, spending some precious time with my daughter so from time to time semi prepared meals sneaks in because frankly I'm exhausted! :rotfl:

You need to find a budget that works for YOU - I know what I'm comfortable with personally whilst still hammering my debts :) Could I reduce it? Absolutely and if it was a matter of making minimum payments then I would :)

I agree with almost everything you say.

But this is, after all, the Money Saving Expert website.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I agree with almost everything you say.

But this is, after all, the Money Saving Expert website.

It is - and for some money saving is getting someone at the best price - for example the best price might need to calculate in petrol to make the extra drive to an Aldi... so not as good a saving.

I always try to get the best value when I buy something, but there are some things I don't scrimp on for my own reasons. In my case some are health over wealth or even sanity over home cooking ;)

Just because it's possible to squeeze a budget (assuming that there isn't other costs like travel) doesn't always mean it's right for that person. Like I can't use any of the fabric conditioners in Lidl... mainly for public safety because if I have to itch all night in bed from the washing liquid and softener then there WILL be a high probability of murders the next day ;)

I could reduce my budget further personally by cooking more from scratch, but the savings at the moment would not make up for the lost time with my daughter. If I had to, then I would. Everyone is different :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • I watched one of those Eat well for Less programmes on the BBC earlier. 2 adults, 1 toddler, 1 about 5 yrs.
    They spent nearly £200a week on groceries in total; he didn't like her
    British style of cooking and wanted things spicier, he bought £94 worth of snacks per week!!!

But they never show them shopping at Lidl or Aldi in this programme, only the big supermarkets and nobody ever goes near a butchers or greengrocers or market stall!
  • This is the area I know I need to cut down on. I spend around £500 per month on shopping (hangs head in shame). That does include all toiletries, cleaning stuff and pet food. We are a family of 5 plus 2 dogs, 2 cats and a lizard.

Tina x
    The £1,000 emergency fund challenge #163 - £536.16/£1000
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I kept a very strict spreadsheet from the start of this year, detailing everything I bought/used. Food, drink, treats, some household items. £50/month would be enough for me.

I have simple needs.

Today I've had cheese & beans on toast (36p) and beef meatballs & butter beans in spicy sauce with noodles (sauce a freebie from somebody's food turf out), 50p (plus the cost of the sauce at full retail price will have added 25p, but I'd have never paid £1.50 for a jar of sauce!).

I've eaten about 10p of sweeties today too.
  • I kept a very strict spreadsheet from the start of this year, detailing everything I bought/used. Food, drink, treats, some household items. £50/month would be enough for me.

I have simple needs.

Today I've had cheese & beans on toast (36p) and beef meatballs & butter beans in spicy sauce with noodles (sauce a freebie from somebody's food turf out), 50p (plus the cost of the sauce at full retail price will have added 25p, but I'd have never paid £1.50 for a jar of sauce!).

I've eaten about 10p of sweeties today too.

Scandelous, 10p on sweeties!! A little of what you fancy does you good, as they say.
    And well done for that £50/month, it is incredible, ( though hopefully not inedible!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure