When did vodafone start locking handsets?

I was just about to take my business elsewhere and Voda got me a deal on a Galaxy S6. Clearing them out before they become worthless?

For the first time in approx 20 years this handset was locked to the network. Whilst on contract Vodafone have never supplied me with a locked contract phone.

Anyone know when they started locking them and if all handsets are now locked or just high end phones?

Whilst trying to get it unlocked they told me various dates from 30 days to 3 months, when i said a locked handset is useless to me and that i want to cancel the upgrade i get the retentions team and they said they will unlock it and i got passed back to customer services, who repeated the first call. Cannot unlock.

Back to retentions and they say leave it with them they will sort it. Next day an email arrives saying i need to wait 30 days. Phone them again and retentions told me to take it to a shop and get it unlocked.. Credited me with £20 to do it also.

This shocked me, Guessing the customer service guy who told me this wasnt recording it.at the time. But sure enough i had a £20 credit on my account.

I wont be jumping through hoops again though, this was a PITA all around and i really wish i had not bothered.

Back to my question now.. Are all their contract handsets now locked? I travel a lot and end up in areas where some networks work better than others. So i need an unlocked phone.

If your wondering why i went with them again.. An S6 for less than £250. New not refurb. This is on ove what we would have paid to go sim free with 3 (£9 per month).
Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

Comments

• It is high time this practice was outlawed.
  • Vodafone
    Vodafone Posts: 4,297 Organisation Representative
    Hi forgotmyname,

All contracted handsets sold by Vodafone UK will be locked to the network.

You can request an unlock of the device after 3 months of the contract.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Sarah

Social Media Operations

Vodafone UK
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • its free to unlock a contrct fone via vf.....
  • https://www.vodafone.co.uk/vodafone-uk/forms/unlock-code-request/

hence dont know why you been told varying amounts to get it done....

There are no charges for network unlock codes.

Click each of the following boxes to confirm that they apply to you.
    • I’m the account holder for this phone and number
    • I’ve been a Vodafone customer for at least three months
    • The phone hasn’t been reported lost or stolen
    • I haven’t already requested a code this year for this number
    • My bills are paid and up to date
    • The address on my account is correct
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,518
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Yeah it says 3 months and some of the customer services people said the same, occasionally one would say 30 days but when i popped into a shop to ask them they read the transcripts or call records and said they have only said 3 months in all calls. I know thats incorrect some said 30 days. Another guy in the shop said its 1 year before they will unlock. And some links i found said there is a £20 charge to unlock.

Thanks Sarah, Any idea when they started locking the handsets? My Galaxy S4 was not locked.
    What is the reason they have started locking them on contract phones?

I understand for pay as you go but regular contract customers? Puzzled why?

• Vodafone
    Vodafone Posts: 4,297 Organisation Representative
    Hello forgotmyname,

The information that sparky93 has given, and that's available on our website is correct.

Most network providers lock handsets that are bought through them directly - Vodafone being one of them. If you buy a device through a third party, then it's likely that the device will be unlocked.

Regards,

Sarah

Social Media Operations

Vodafone UK
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • forgotmyname
    Forumite
    But in 19+ years of being with Vodafone not one of my handsets have ever been locked, this is the first one ever.

Motorola, Sony Ericsson, Nokia, And 4 Samsungs. None of them were ever locked so why now? Always had them directly through vodafone by calling 191 also.

• ryan121
    ryan121 Posts: 209
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Vodafone lock all of their phones to their network, they always have. Three is the only network that doesn't and they only started doing that a couple of years ago. Unless you put a sim from another network in all those phones how would you know they were unlocked? If they had any vodafone branding such as the vodafone logo when you turned the phone on then they were definitely locked.
  • forgotmyname
    Forumite
    edited 3 October 2016 at 6:38AM
    ryan121 wrote: »
    Vodafone lock all of their phones to their network, they always have. Three is the only network that doesn't and they only started doing that a couple of years ago. Unless you put a sim from another network in all those phones how would you know they were unlocked? If they had any vodafone branding such as the vodafone logo when you turned the phone on then they were definitely locked.

WRONG. Contract handsets have not been locked for approx 19 years. How many handsets do you want me to provide you as proof?

Pay as you go ones were, but ever since i had a Motorola 525 they have never been locked on my contract phones. And i have had a new handset every 2 years or so. I think its the 525, then 535, V635,Nokia 6233, Sony C702, Nokia N97 mini and 3 Samsungs? Only handset ever locked is this Galaxy S6.

As mentioned my Galasy S4 which is under 3 years old was not locked, My LIFE SIM worked in it with no issues.
    Last Night i tried my wifes S4 mini and thats under 2 years old and still within the contract and my Life SIM works in that also.

I know they were not locked because ive always had a spare sim from another network because i used to travel around the UK a lot and end up in places where the signal was poor on one network and better on another. There is no 02 signal at my mums unless you goto the very end of the drive and stand on the gatepost wall where you can send a text on a good day. I can walk anywhere on the orange network though and Vodafone is fairly good.

• sparky93
    sparky93 Posts: 392
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    hey vodafone, are you going to confirm this, FREE to unlock outside of term??
    newsflash via mse....
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/phones/2016/10/pay-monthly-mobile-customers-to-benefit-from-free-unlocking?_ga=1.215662366.883531734.1473674649
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure