Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • joonby
    • By joonby 28th Sep 16, 6:18 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    joonby
    P4 Parking Fine in Scotland
    • 28th Sep 16, 6:18 PM
    P4 Parking Fine in Scotland 28th Sep 16 at 6:18 PM
    Hi,

I have read the newbies thread, and have a question.

I have a permit for parking outside my flat, but I did not have it displayed in my car. I received a parking ticket from P4 Parking and appealed it. They denied the appeal as it should have been on display, but I complained some more and they stopped replying.

I then received another parking ticket in the same car park outside my flat, because I didn't have my permit on display again. This time, I didn't bother appealing the ticket.

I am now receiving letters from TNC Debt Collectors. Having read the Newbies thread, it would seem that in Scotland I'm safe to just ignore all these letters. But it refers specifically to 'fake PCNs' and I just wanted to make sure that it's safe to keep ignoring them.

Thanks.
Page 2
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 29th Sep 16, 10:16 AM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 9,307 Thanks
    pappa golf
    ask the courts?

but they will not tell you
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
    • DollyDee
    • By DollyDee 29th Sep 16, 11:27 AM
    • 748 Posts
    • 852 Thanks
    DollyDee
    VCS in Kirkaldy as well. Any ideas what they are about?
    Originally posted by Herzlos
    Just googled "Summary Cause"

www.scotcourts.gov.uk/taking-action/frequently-asked-questions/questions-about-summary-cause-procedure

"To claim sums of money between 3000-5000!!!!

Wonder who they have taken to court.
    • LISS
    • By LISS 12th Mar 18, 3:13 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LISS
    hi,
    I have just found this thread. I apologise for starting the new one.
    i too got a ticket from p4parking, and am now being pursued by TNC parking. I sent a letter, from the Scotland Specific templates from this forum and in the interim received another threatening doorstep debt collectors and an increase of what is owed to 176. I have not admitted liability and replied as keeper of the vehicle to TCN ( who got my details from the DVLA). From what I have read above, I should not reply further( i was 5 days late appealing due to medical reasons, for which I have proof). Should I just sit tight? Given my medical condition, I am fearful and overwhelmed by this situation. I look forward to your replies.
    Thanks
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 12th Mar 18, 3:15 PM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 1,710 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    why did you appeal?
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • LISS
    • By LISS 12th Mar 18, 3:20 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LISS
    ...because i thought i had to
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 12th Mar 18, 3:31 PM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 1,710 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    you are now in ignore mode

the info for scotland states:

Q - ''I'm in Scotland/NI, so is the advice different?''

A - IF THE EVENT TOOK PLACE IN SCOTLAND OR NI, WE SUGGEST YOU DO (ALWAYS!) COMPLAIN TO STORE MANAGEMENT IF YOUR PCN IS FROM A RETAIL PARK, BUT DO NOT APPEAL, UNLESS YOUR CAR IS A COMPANY/HIRE/LEASED VEHICLE, IN WHICH CASE, APPEAL AS HIRER/LESSEE (SEE * AT THE FOOT OF THIS POST).

IN SCOTLAND/NI, DO NOT BE ALARMED BY ODD POSTS SUGGESTING YOU SHOULD 'NAME THE DRIVER'...FOR OBVIOUS REASONS THIS IS NOT THE MAJORITY VIEW AND SIMPLY ABANDONS THE DRIVER (USUALLY A FAMILY MEMBER) TO THE PARKING SHARKS, WITH A LESS STRONG DEFENCE. CERTAINLY COMPLAIN TO THE RETAILERS, BUT IGNORE THE PARKING FIRM UNLESS YOU GET A CLAIM. IN SCOTLAND THIS IS EXCEEDINGLY RARE, AND DEFENDABLE BY A KEEPER, WHO CURRENTLY HAS A FAR MORE PROTECTED POSITION IN LAW THAN AN ADMITTED DRIVER.

WHEN IGNORING IN SCOTLAND/NI, KEEP ALL LETTERS. DO NOT THROW THEM AWAY, FOR 5 YEARS.

followed by advice regarding the likes of TNC

Q - ''I'm in Scotland/NI, so is the advice different?''

A - IF THE EVENT TOOK PLACE IN SCOTLAND OR NI, WE SUGGEST YOU DO (ALWAYS!) COMPLAIN TO STORE MANAGEMENT IF YOUR PCN IS FROM A RETAIL PARK, BUT DO NOT APPEAL, UNLESS YOUR CAR IS A COMPANY/HIRE/LEASED VEHICLE, IN WHICH CASE, APPEAL AS HIRER/LESSEE (SEE * AT THE FOOT OF THIS POST).

IN SCOTLAND/NI, DO NOT BE ALARMED BY ODD POSTS SUGGESTING YOU SHOULD 'NAME THE DRIVER'...FOR OBVIOUS REASONS THIS IS NOT THE MAJORITY VIEW AND SIMPLY ABANDONS THE DRIVER (USUALLY A FAMILY MEMBER) TO THE PARKING SHARKS, WITH A LESS STRONG DEFENCE. CERTAINLY COMPLAIN TO THE RETAILERS, BUT IGNORE THE PARKING FIRM UNLESS YOU GET A CLAIM. IN SCOTLAND THIS IS EXCEEDINGLY RARE, AND DEFENDABLE BY A KEEPER, WHO CURRENTLY HAS A FAR MORE PROTECTED POSITION IN LAW THAN AN ADMITTED DRIVER.

WHEN IGNORING IN SCOTLAND/NI, KEEP ALL LETTERS. DO NOT THROW THEM AWAY, FOR 5 YEARS.
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • LISS
    • By LISS 12th Mar 18, 3:32 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LISS
    Thank-you so VERY much. Thankyou.
    • LISS
    • By LISS 21st Mar 18, 11:34 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LISS
    I have now received a letter from TNC entitled' Notice of Intention to Advise Client to issue Summons' dated 15th March, but arrived today. They cite the case dated 13/1/2017, from Dundee Sherriff Court, where George Way, handed down judgement that a woman pay fees of 24,500 in favour of a parking operator. What should I do?
    Another question I have is, does this go on my credit file if I don't pay?
    Many thanks.
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 21st Mar 18, 11:51 AM
    • 2,430 Posts
    • 2,980 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    Isnt that the one where the driver was known, and crowed about it? Its not really the same.

Does it invite any response?

Yes of course it does, its a judgement against you. But you have amonth to pay (in English courts at least) so dont panic too much on that.
    • LISS
    • By LISS 21st Mar 18, 11:57 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LISS
    It's not a summons, it's a 'NOTICE OF INTENTION TO ADVISE CLIENT TO ISSUE SUMMONS'

It states that I have to respond within 7 days of the postmark, which I assume is the date of the letter, but it's just arrived.it urges me to call their Glasgow number.
    If I don't pay, and they don't proceed with a summons, do i still get a black mark on my credit file?
    • LISS
    • By LISS 21st Mar 18, 12:23 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LISS
    Should I respond to these people? You have urged me to ignore them. Do you think they will take me to court for 179?
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 21st Mar 18, 12:26 PM
    • 17,560 Posts
    • 27,759 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    You don't get any 'black mark' on any credit file. You haven't even got a court judgment against you. Forget any 'black mark' unless or until you lose a case in court and you refuse to pay the costs awarded against you.

TNC are debt collectors - just ignore them. The 24 grand case is thrown at you purely to intimidate you into paying. Ignore it!

P4Parking are the only organisation that can issue court proceedings against you (TNC can't, and won't). P4P have never pursued a single court case in England/Wales, where it is infinitely easier to proceed than it ever will be for them in Scotland.

Do you really think you would be their first ever court case in the entire United Kingdom?

http://www.bmpa.eu/companydata/P4_Parking_UK.html
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 21st Mar 18, 12:43 PM
    • 4,284 Posts
    • 4,330 Thanks
    DoaM
    It's not a summons, it's a 'NOTICE OF INTENTION TO ADVISE CLIENT TO ISSUE SUMMONS'
    Originally posted by LISS
    Exactly - you said it yourself. To paraphrase ...

Pay us now or we might tell our client to think about possibly raising a court claim against you. (We probably won't as if they raise a claim then we won't get paid anything, but if we scare you enough we might scam you into paying it so we get our sizeable cut).
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • LISS
    • By LISS 21st Mar 18, 1:11 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LISS
    Thankyou folks. if they do go ahead and issue summons, I will be back for a wee bit more help. So appreciate you taking the time to address my concerns. Thanks.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 21st Mar 18, 1:39 PM
    • 3,179 Posts
    • 4,206 Thanks
    waamo
    A summons? Can a civil court issue a summons? Not only that but isn't a summons so last century?
    This space for hire.
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 21st Mar 18, 3:24 PM
    • 2,430 Posts
    • 2,980 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    This is Scotland, so it might be a summons there.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 22nd Mar 18, 12:30 AM
    • 57,301 Posts
    • 70,914 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    I can't recall any P4Parking claims in Scotland.

Only a few from Smart, VCS, Horizon and Euro Car Parks, oddly. Maybe a couple more but not P4P.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Jsd83
    • By Jsd83 5th Apr 18, 11:02 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jsd83
    I am in exactly the same situation as LISS, probably a couple of weeks behind. However I have completely ignored all correspondence. My wife had one two or three years ago from parking Eye and we ignored it and after about 7/8 letters they gave up. This p4 parking lot with Tnc seem a lot more aggressive than any letters we got from parkingeye.

Liss, please update with any future letters you receive.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 5th Apr 18, 12:00 PM
    • 17,560 Posts
    • 27,759 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    This p4 parking lot with Tnc seem a lot more aggressive than any letters we got from parkingeye.
    You seem blissfully unaware of current reality.

ParkingEye are now the most litigious parking company in the British Isles. They haven't hit Scotland (to date), but have been initiating 30,000 court proceedings a year in England and Wales. By comparison, P4Parking are no threat. Actually, with or without the comparison, P4Parking are no threat!
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Jsd83
    • By Jsd83 8th Apr 18, 11:43 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jsd83
    This is Scotland, so it might be a summons there.
    Originally posted by nosferatu1001

So what is the step after the "notice of intent to advice client to issue a summons"?

From my experience, p4 seems to be more organised, or at least their auto mail system works better.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,518Posts Today

6,491Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin