Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dogfonos
    • By dogfonos 26th Sep 16, 1:54 PM
    • 33Posts
    • 2Thanks
    dogfonos
    Transferring landline telephone number from Virgin Media to Sky
    • 26th Sep 16, 1:54 PM
    Transferring landline telephone number from Virgin Media to Sky 26th Sep 16 at 1:54 PM
    Has anybody successfully transferred their existing landline telephone number from Virgin Media to Sky (or to any other provider that uses the OpenReach network)? I'd be grateful for any tips, thanks.
Page 1
    • jb66
    • By jb66 26th Sep 16, 5:43 PM
    • 1,610 Posts
    • 659 Thanks
    jb66
    • 26th Sep 16, 5:43 PM
    • 26th Sep 16, 5:43 PM
    Talktalk and EE said they couldnt do it, BT said they could so moved to BT
    • dogfonos
    • By dogfonos 28th Sep 16, 10:21 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    dogfonos
    • 28th Sep 16, 10:21 PM
    • 28th Sep 16, 10:21 PM
    Talktalk and EE said they couldnt do it, BT said they could so moved to BT
    Originally posted by jb66
    And did BT successfully transfer your landline 'phone number?

Did you have to contact Virgin Media about transferring the 'phone number?
    • jb66
    • By jb66 28th Sep 16, 11:52 PM
    • 1,610 Posts
    • 659 Thanks
    jb66
    • 28th Sep 16, 11:52 PM
    • 28th Sep 16, 11:52 PM
    Bt gave me a date of the number port, so I asked virgin to disconnect my BB and TV 2 days after just incase something went wrong
    • bubblegun
    • By bubblegun 29th Sep 16, 5:08 AM
    • 199 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    bubblegun
    • 29th Sep 16, 5:08 AM
    • 29th Sep 16, 5:08 AM
    Has anybody successfully transferred their existing landline telephone number from Virgin Media to Sky (or to any other provider that uses the OpenReach network)? I'd be grateful for any tips, thanks.
    Originally posted by dogfonos
    Sky did it, no problems.
    Took about 2 weeks which seems to be standard for number ports.
    Sky can port numbers from almost anyone.

It will cancel the virgin phoneline but not TV or broadband.
    • dogfonos
    • By dogfonos 29th Sep 16, 11:59 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    dogfonos
    • 29th Sep 16, 11:59 AM
    • 29th Sep 16, 11:59 AM
    Thanks for the info, most helpful.

Sky told me I could keep my current landline 'phone number so I bit the bullet yesterday and signed up. Engineer booked to install/re-instate OpenReach line/master socket next week - that's swift service.

Glad I read your posts first because, as you suggest, it's very important not to cancel (or arrange cancellation of) the contract with the 'outgoing' service provider until the 'phone line has switched otherwise the new provider may not be able to port the customer's existing 'phone number.

I'll cancel broadband (the only other service I have with VM) when Sky broadband is established. Thanks again.
    • tinas
    • By tinas 29th Sep 16, 1:51 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    tinas
    • 29th Sep 16, 1:51 PM
    • 29th Sep 16, 1:51 PM
    I had no problems. Sky managed the whole thing for me about a month ago.

I had the virgin contract run 2 weeks past the sky installation but didn't need it. The phone engineer came round and sorted the lines out, then tested the line and let me see that the line was on the right number before he left.
    • JB162
    • By JB162 3rd Oct 16, 11:51 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    JB162
    • 3rd Oct 16, 11:51 AM
    • 3rd Oct 16, 11:51 AM
    Any telephone provider thats regulated with OFCOM can port numbers.

8 working days is the timeframe.

So BT, Sky, EE, Talk Talk anyone in fact can port to and from Virgin.

As previous posts advise it only goes through if the line your porting from is still active.
    • dogfonos
    • By dogfonos 3rd Oct 16, 4:46 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    dogfonos
    • 3rd Oct 16, 4:46 PM
    • 3rd Oct 16, 4:46 PM
    Any telephone provider thats regulated with OFCOM can port numbers.

8 working days is the timeframe.

So BT, Sky, EE, Talk Talk anyone in fact can port to and from Virgin.

As previous posts advise it only goes through if the line your porting from is still active.
    Originally posted by JB162
    Does that mean I'll be able to transfer my 'phone number again next year if I switch ISP back to Virgin Media?
    • JB162
    • By JB162 3rd Oct 16, 9:39 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    JB162
    Does that mean I'll be able to transfer my 'phone number again next year if I switch ISP back to Virgin Media?
    Yep! you can port your number anytime you want!
    • K-J J
    • By K-J J 13th Nov 16, 8:33 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    K-J J
    Has anyone tried to do it to Vodafone? Have been told by Virgin Media several times that there is no problems moving my land line to vodafone however depending on who you speak to they say that you can and then that you cant. I am quite surprised that Vodafone says you cant and Virgin media the opposite. It is an old bt number so I cant see why it wouldn't be possible. Any advice?
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 13th Nov 16, 8:45 PM
    • 1,600 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    iniltous
    Has anyone tried to do it to Vodafone? Have been told by Virgin Media several times that there is no problems moving my land line to vodafone however depending on who you speak to they say that you can and then that you cant. I am quite surprised that Vodafone says you cant and Virgin media the opposite. It is an old bt number so I cant see why it wouldn't be possible. Any advice?
    Originally posted by K-J J
    My advice would be to use a provider who's staff know what they are doing
    • K-J J
    • By K-J J 13th Nov 16, 11:23 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    K-J J
    The Problem is that I have no idea which of the two is right. I am just so fed up with Virgin medias price hikes now that I want to move somewhere else and Vodafone seems to have the best deal. My phone and broadband package has gone up 20% in the last 8 month without upgrades of nothing.
    • knm123
    • By knm123 1st Apr 17, 4:17 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    knm123
    Same Problem
    Vodafone saying no to port number from Virgin media
    Any idea what can I do?
    • LazyTyper
    • By LazyTyper 1st Apr 17, 4:24 PM
    • 368 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    LazyTyper
    Same Problem
    Vodafone saying no to port number from Virgin media
    Any idea what can I do?
    Originally posted by knm123
    It's ultimately up to the gaining provider to drive this, but there are no obligations from Ofcom to force them to port your number. The obligation only lies with the losing provider to allow you to port.

I suggest you consider any provider other than Vodafone if it's important for you to keep your number.
    • cb361
    • By cb361 10th Aug 17, 12:01 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    cb361
    I moved landline and broadband service from Virgin to BT a year ago without incident. But when I tried to transfer again from BT to EE, no joy. I spent a long time talking to both companies, but both claimed that the other must have made a mistake in requesting the transfer

Eventually I gave up, cancelled my order with EE and placed a new order to transfer from BT to TalkTalk. Similar problem, but in this case TalkTalk cancelled the order on my behalf and said that because my existing telephone number was originally allocated to me by Virgin, BT couldn't transfer it to TalkTalk. TalkTalktold me that there is no point contacting Virgin, because I no longer have any services with that company.

Specifically, I was told by TalkTalk that my telephone number is in Virgin's "range" of numbers. BT had been able to take over the number without incident though. I'm not sure if this is because BT have a special ability to operate numbers in another provider's range, or these numbers can only be transferred from the original provider and not between other providers.

I suppose that I could transfer back to Virgin, but I'm very cross with them for sending an unsolicited salesperson to my door the other week, after they must have noticed me comparing broadband tariffs online. So I'll probably just ask for a new telephone number. The only people who call it are salespeople hawking funeral plans and electric wheelchairs.
    Last edited by cb361; 10-08-2017 at 12:32 PM. Reason: further information
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 10th Aug 17, 1:32 PM
    • 1,600 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    iniltous
    I moved landline and broadband service from Virgin to BT a year ago without incident. But when I tried to transfer again from BT to EE, no joy. I spent a long time talking to both companies, but both claimed that the other must have made a mistake in requesting the transfer

Eventually I gave up, cancelled my order with EE and placed a new order to transfer from BT to TalkTalk. Similar problem, but in this case TalkTalk cancelled the order on my behalf and said that because my existing telephone number was originally allocated to me by Virgin, BT couldn't transfer it to TalkTalk. TalkTalktold me that there is no point contacting Virgin, because I no longer have any services with that company.

Specifically, I was told by TalkTalk that my telephone number is in Virgin's "range" of numbers. BT had been able to take over the number without incident though. I'm not sure if this is because BT have a special ability to operate numbers in another provider's range, or these numbers can only be transferred from the original provider and not between other providers.

I suppose that I could transfer back to Virgin, but I'm very cross with them for sending an unsolicited salesperson to my door the other week, after they must have noticed me comparing broadband tariffs online. So I'll probably just ask for a new telephone number. The only people who call it are salespeople hawking funeral plans and electric wheelchairs.
    Originally posted by cb361
    It shouldnt really matter if the phone number is from VM's number range, if you managed to port the number from VM to BT, you should also be able to port it again, back to VM or to anyone else.
    BT have no special powers, they all use the same (equivalent ) input into the system...the only problem ( apart from providers who don't have a clue what they are doing or have an ulterior motive for not wanting to ) is if you want to move or have moved address as well as porting the number
    If the address is the same address you had VM service at, and had BT at, then really there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to use another Telco to provide the same phone number at that address, but although it's possible, the individual company don't have to do it, if they say you will get another number, it's up to you to either accept that , or use a provider that will do the necessary 'work' to allow you to keep the number you already have
    Last edited by iniltous; 10-08-2017 at 1:38 PM.
    • faddy
    • By faddy 8th Mar 18, 11:46 PM
    • 476 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    faddy
    Glad I read your posts first because, as you suggest, it's very important not to cancel (or arrange cancellation of) the contract with the 'outgoing' service provider until the 'phone line has switched otherwise the new provider may not be able to port the customer's existing 'phone number.
    If you've put in a cancellation but the 30 days hasn't expired when the port is due to take place, will it go through?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

57Posts Today

2,323Users online

Martin's Twitter