Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: Student accommodation: which is most moneysaving?

Halls of residence

12.50% • 7 votes

Private student halls

0% • 0 votes

Student house / flat found through your university

5.36% • 3 votes

Student house / flat rented privately

16.07% • 9 votes

House / flat specifically bought for you by your parents

5.36% • 3 votes

Sharing with non-students

0% • 0 votes

Renting a room in a landlord's home

3.57% • 2 votes

Stay at home with parents

73.21% • 41 votes

You may not vote on this poll

56 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 20th Sep 16, 10:39 AM
    • 9,091Posts
    • 21,933Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Student accommodation: which of these saves you the most money?
    • 20th Sep 16, 10:39 AM
    Student accommodation: which of these saves you the most money? 20th Sep 16 at 10:39 AM

Students (new and old!)

Whether you're a fresher starting university this year or a seasoned student well into your course, finding accommodation that's both suitable AND cost effective can be difficult.

So we thought we'd ask which of the many accommodation options you feel saves you the most money?

• Halls of residence
    • Private student halls
    • Student house / flat found through your university
    • Student house / flat rented privately
    • House / flat owned by your parents
    • Sharing with non-students
    • Renting a room in a landlord's home
    • Stay at home with parents

Other useful MSE Student Reading
    Last edited by Former MSE Matt; 20-09-2016 at 11:14 AM.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 2
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 14th Jan 18, 2:49 PM
    • 3,612 Posts
    • 2,291 Thanks
    glider3560
    In my final year at university, I only had six months of lectures, then a few months to write up my final year project from home, then exams. So I only needed to be there for six months.

Fed up with sharing with un-house trained people by this point, I rented a studio flat for just six months and then moved back to my parents (about 130 miles away) for the rest of the year.

A room in a student house was about 300 per month, but you had to rent for 12 months, so 3600. I paid 525 for six months, total 3150. The place was so much nicer than university halls or a student house.

I discovered rail rovers to use during my exam period. IIRC it was 50 for 8 days unlimited travel within the defined area in a 15 days period, so four return journeys worked out at just 12.50 each (which is great value for 260 miles without having to make any reservations or travel on a specifically timed train). Stayed overnight at a Travelodge, Ibis or Holiday Inn (depending on prices) for the night before the exams, so that didn't cost much.

• NoahJones
    • By NoahJones 12th Mar 18, 12:16 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    NoahJones
    I think, if you got house where you can live. You will save as much money as you can...
    • HannahWilliams
    • By HannahWilliams 14th Mar 18, 9:46 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    HannahWilliams
    I go to uni in London and lived in halls for my first year and then moved into a houseshare because the rent was lower however I actually end up spending up more once travel is factored in. The halls were in a really central location and I could walk/cycle to lectures but to find an affordable houseshare I had to be a long tube journey away, which quickly adds up to 100+ a month.

I don't think you can really generalise on which would cost more overall as it also depends on facilities. I probably spent more on food in halls as the cooking facilities weren't great and it was harder to make things from scratch (had to rely more on ready meals etc.) but I saved money on travel and gym membership as the halls had a couple of pieces of accessible gym equipment.

If I was making the decision again I would look not just at rent but at all the main expenses you'll have and how each would be affected by where you chose to live.
    • WhiteTigerr
    • By WhiteTigerr 19th Apr 18, 11:49 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    WhiteTigerr
    Stay home with parents is the best option
    • bethhursty
    • By bethhursty 23rd Apr 18, 12:08 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    bethhursty
    One thing to think about is that though sometimes halls are slightly more expensive, you are paying for much more than just the room and facilities. They're often well located, and have an aspect of support (security, wardens, live-in tutors etc) that are useful as a fresher. Most of all, it's the personal relationships you build with people - the ability to have a large pool to make friends with so then you can move out to a shared house the year after with the friends you've met and got along with during halls.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,524Posts Today

6,223Users online

Martin's Twitter