Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Weave
    • By Weave 19th Sep 16, 1:26 PM
    • 121Posts
    • 29Thanks
    Weave
    Evans Halshaw versus We Buy Any Car guarantee
    • 19th Sep 16, 1:26 PM
    Evans Halshaw versus We Buy Any Car guarantee 19th Sep 16 at 1:26 PM
    Hi

Anyone used Evans Halshaw to sell their car recently?

I am buying a new car for the wife and the dealer has offered a px of £5500. We Buy Any Car online valuation is £6150 and Evans Halshaw's online 'estimate' is £6700.

Evans Halshaw guarantee to beat WBAC but do they just add another £1 on top of the WBAC price when you get there?

Anyone had any experience of the Evans Halshaw guarantee?

My nearest WBAC is just 3 miles away but Evans Halshaw is a 2 hour round trip. I don't want to go to all that effort to find the price they actually pay is a tiny bit more than WBAC. My concern is their use of the word 'estimate' when they offer £6700 I don't want it to turn into £6151 after driving an hour to get to them!

Thanks.
Page 2
    • Lancashirelad
    • By Lancashirelad 20th Dec 17, 1:38 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lancashirelad
    Sell your car scammers
    I want to share my experiance with evans halshaw burnley with the sell your car team.

I got an online valuation for my car and went down a few days later. I had the appraisal done and we agreed a price. I topped up the valuation by approx 400 pounds paid to them to clear my finance settlement figure. I signed the purchase invoice and handed over my car and keys and log book and all documents relating to the car. The sales person even signed over my car to them on the dvla online system to which i got a copy.

About a week later my finance had still not been settled and they informed me they had found out the car had a hpi issue on nmr (mileage issue) an anomaly they described it as. But not to worry this would be sorted in a few days and payment made. I then got an email 5th dec saying payment was being processed.

Needless to say the payment has still not been paid and ive had to make another finance payment since and the settlement figure has expired.

They now say they dont want my car due to the nmr issue and i must take it back and they will refund my 400 or so pounds back and put the car back in my name. Surely they should of checked this on the appraisal day before they agreed to take the car off me.

I have since bought a new car as i got a purchase invoice off them on the day which we both agreed and signed, and they have had my car since that day 21st nov.

Where do i stand i have a meeting at citizens advice tomorrow, but evans halshaw wont budge and say they never purchased my car and urge me to collect it and they will refund me my monies paid.
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 20th Dec 17, 1:49 PM
    • 1,463 Posts
    • 1,083 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    I'd say that they bought the car.

Even if there are terms and conditions attached, you are now in the position of a consumer against an expert trader and if they had any issues on finance, then they should have established that before the sale was completed. I would take the handing over of money, the assignment of the DVLA paperwork and so on as clear evidence of them executing the contract.

The most they should consider is that if there is a mileage discrepancy which they were not aware of, then they might be due compensation for that difference, but as they were aware of the mileage and the terms of the finance (which as you were handing the money over to them, I take it as they had established the settlement figure etc. rather than you resolving the finance) then I think that it falls into their own due diligence. As long as you had not disguised or misled them, (which is fraud) then they are the experts and should act accordingly.

Anyway, see what CAB have to say, but do not collect the car.
    • Lancashirelad
    • By Lancashirelad 20th Dec 17, 1:55 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lancashirelad
    Thank you for your information and this is what i have been arguing all along but they wont budge. I have opened a new thread on this on the motoring page.
    • Mawilford
    • By Mawilford 9th Feb 18, 4:46 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mawilford
    Turns out their ‘we beat WBAC guarantee’ Is only if they feel like it!

They offered £500 less than WBAC, but when quizzed about the guarantee they offer, they just turned around and said, no, not prepared to.
    • AlTimian
    • By AlTimian 13th Jul 18, 4:53 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    AlTimian
    Hmmm. in a similar position to others on here. Thinking of selling my nan's Vauxhall runner to Evans Halshaw.

Does the EH guarantee actually hold water at the moment? They were adamant of its authenticity on the phone, but I'm dubious. Would like advice from others before I journey the 12 miles from my home to sell it...

Also, WBAC aren't on here, but Evans are DESTROYING all the prices I can see on Motorway when I do a comparison.

Fake news?
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 14th Jul 18, 1:00 PM
    • 11,491 Posts
    • 13,278 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    All i can say is what happened to me, they offered £350 more (on a £14k car) inspected it and stuck with that.
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 14th Jul 18, 1:14 PM
    • 787 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    Do WBAC give a better offer than a scrappy for an old car with MoT but on its last legs and pretty battered bodywise?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,759Posts Today

6,455Users online

Martin's Twitter