Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 18th Sep 16, 1:27 PM
    • 2,762Posts
    • 17,461Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Paid off the 31,000! BUT - still scrimping!
    • 18th Sep 16, 1:27 PM
    Paid off the 31,000! BUT - still scrimping! 18th Sep 16 at 1:27 PM
    Heres to my new shiny diary now that I am debt free!

I have finished my previous diary which detailed my debt free journey. This went well for some months I then failed dismally, managed to pull myself together to pay off half then had a lucky windfall which cleared the rest. If you want to have a look its called Scrimping Behind the Scenes with Debt of 31,000! (sorry, I cant manage to get the link to work!).

In the diary I detailed how I was trying to pay off the debt without alerting the fact to family and friends as I was too embarrassed to let anyone know the extent of my folly!

I have however decided to carry on scrimping as I have a few retirement issues coming up. One of the things that will make scrimping easier is that I dont have to do this in secret anymore! My reasons for cutting back financially will be out there for friends and family to see which will let some of the pressure off!

I am now in my early sixties but my State pension will not kick in for another four and a half years. I will not be getting the full whack as I have had contracted out of the second State pension because I was a member of a previous employers final salary scheme. Luckily this pension will take a little of the headache away and I have a couple of small DCB schemes from other employment over the years though these will not amount to much. I am in my current employers company scheme and both they and I pay into this though again its not going to be life changing!

I calculate that I when I retire my income will be slashed by well over half so to carry scrimping would be a good run up to retirement test for me.

A big worry is that the firm I work for was recently bought out. I have been through this sort of thing with previous employers. What tends to happen is this:

1. Big lovey-dovey honeymoon period between new owners and old owners (who have been paid out, but stay on for goodwill).

2. New owners and old owners start to fall out over the management of the company. The new owners want to run the company their way and old owners think they know better.

3. Bad feeling hits all round and new owners start to have a people clear out.

Im rather apprehensive about the possibility of a people clear out because of my age. I think I will be ok as long as my boss is there but unfortunately he is older than me!

Accordingly, my next scrimpy goal is to fully fund my Emergency Fund. It currently stands at 3,000- but I would like to see it at 10,000 to feel safe. If I can fund it with 1,000 per month (like I did with my debt), I will have 10,000 by end April next year.

So today is going to be a NSD. I have 26.90 left spending money and 18.33 in the grocery budget till I get paid next Friday.

So here we go again interesting times!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- 10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 17/03/2019 - 2,448.68
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 25
    My diary: Paid off the 31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!
Page 60
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 12th Jan 19, 7:49 PM
    • 576 Posts
    • 4,012 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    All sounding good SSG, apart from your friend. Horrible. So cruel.

Your savings are looking very healthy.

I am looking at the Keto diet and more exercise next...something to regulate my sugar crashes would be good and I am sure much better for me. But all good with the LP plan at the moment, onwards and upwards

Have a great eve x
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2019 Savings Rate - Goal 40% [17% Jan'19, 31% Feb] 2019 Income Goal 48/750 March Goals: AFDs 6/25 Decluttering 10/60; LSDs x/10; NSDs x/10 Exercise in March RT xxk, 2/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 12th Jan 19, 7:53 PM
    • 2,762 Posts
    • 17,461 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    I spoke my friend last night. My other friend said that she was very down when she spoke to her before the consultants appointment but when I called her she sounded a lot more positive. The consultant had arranged for her to meet a lady of a similar age who had had the operation and a voice box fitted some years ago. This lady had a very positive outlook - years after the op she she is teaching keep fit to elderly people, involves herself in local community groups and has a full social life. I think meeting her has had a very uplifting effect on my friend. Her conversation with me suggested that she had decided to go through with the operation. She was still worried about speaking and how she would sound, but I said she would still be the person we all love. I'm over the moon that she's turned the corner.

Today was a NSD for ad Hoc spends. Just 6.35 at the greengrocer from the Food/Household Budget

In addition today I started the Clean and Clutter Your House in 31 Days challenge that I put off in November because of the kitchen refit.

Day 1 was - do you normal daily cleaning routine, sort out your spice rack and do the laundry. I go through the flat cleaning wise on a Saturday anyway and I do keep up with the laundry. So I cleaned out the washing machine dispenser instead and gave it and the inside of the compartment a good scrub! Re the spices - I sorted these out before the kitchen refit, but after watching the Marie Kondo series on Netflix I decided to take her advice and I've put the spices in a box so I can pull it out of the cupboard and quickly find the jar I want. I used the bottom half of a square biscuit tin!

• Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 12th Jan 19, 8:01 PM
    • 2,762 Posts
    • 17,461 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    All sounding good SSG, apart from your friend. Horrible. So cruel.

Your savings are looking very healthy.

I am looking at the Keto diet and more exercise next...something to regulate my sugar crashes would be good and I am sure much better for me. But all good with the LP plan at the moment, onwards and upwards

Have a great eve x
    Originally posted by brizzlegirl
    Thanks brizzle. One would pay 4.15 in Pret for a latte and a pain au raisin each morning - 20.75 per working week! I didn't buy them every day but I felt myself going down that slippery route again. And the porridge and fruit are so much healthier.

Re the sugar crashes - have you looked at Dr Michael Moseley Blood Sugar Diet? It's had lots of positive reviews.

• milann
    • By milann 12th Jan 19, 10:52 PM
    • 2,333 Posts
    • 12,453 Thanks
    milann
    Good news your friend is a more positive- Im guessing shell be up and down....
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 13th Jan 19, 4:03 PM
    • 2,762 Posts
    • 17,461 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Hi milann - yes I expect my friend will have lots of ups and downs. I understand that she'll be in hospital three weeks and then there's the life adjustments afterwards. All her family and friends will be there for her though.

Today I picked up some some organic eggs (2.09). In the Co-op the Whole Earth organic crunchy peant butter was on offer for 2 so I bought a jar.

Cleaning/organising ProjectC - today's tasks were clean out the fridge, sort out the cupboard underneath the kitchen sink and in the bedroom: dust the tops of dressers and side tables, change sheets and give the room a good wall to wall cleaning.

So I cleaned the fridge (it wasn't too bad) and I'd already sorted out under the kitchen sink after the refit. I think I will carry on with the Marie Kondo method of organising via boxes. I'll be on the look out for some cheap plastic boxes for this area as it will be easier to get to things in cupboards. Re the bedroom, I dusted yesterday and change my sheets on a Sunday anyway. I did manage to pull out the dressers and side tables out and vacuumed.

This evening I'm off to the cinema to see 'The Favourite'. When I get back will get things ready for work tomorrow and try and catch up with a few diaries.

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 13th Jan 19, 6:17 PM
    • 2,304 Posts
    • 14,644 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I have a spice drawer which is great, apart from the tubs that don't have the name on the lid. It eventually occurrred to me that writing it on with a permanent marker was the solution. Also numbering which one to use if you have multiple jars of the same thing.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 13th Jan 19, 9:31 PM
    • 2,762 Posts
    • 17,461 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    That's a good idea redo on the marking and numbering.

Got back from the cinema - really enjoyed the film although a great deal of historical license was taken I fear!

Have had my soup and roll, made lunch for tomorrow and will catch up with "Vera" then bed!

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 15th Jan 19, 4:29 PM
    • 8,366 Posts
    • 64,603 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Glad you enjoyed the film. I love Vera too .

I must watch Marie Kondo as everyone seems to be talking about it and I do feel inspired to declutter once my cold goes.

Good luck with the diet. I always feel so much more energetic if I cut down on sugar and booze, they seem to make me feel really tired and lethargic when I have them.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = 58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    EMERGENCY FUND 2,000
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 15th Jan 19, 8:11 PM
    • 2,762 Posts
    • 17,461 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Thanks Hairy. I enjoyed the Marie Kondo series. She can be a bit airy-fairy but her tidying ideas are sound.

Yesterday I spent 10 from the Entertainments budget. It was my colleague's birthday yesterday so a few of us females had a lunchtime drink with her at the wine bar.

Today my friend and I had our Monday lunchtime coffees today - 5.10 (Pret's put the coffee price up!). Also had to buy my Clinique toner - 28! I've tried swapping it for something cheaper but I always come back to it and it's a big bottle that lasts a while.

Re. The cleaning project - I totally failed yesterday as I was shattered when I got in from work so had dinner and an early night. So tonight's cleaning task was the freezer but this had been done before the kitchen refit. I also had to organise the odds and end drawer in the kitchen but again I had sorted this already! Finally the maintenance bit was the bathroom but I do flylady's swish and swipe each morning and had given it a going over at the weekend! So a nice and easy one today'!

• milann
    • By milann 15th Jan 19, 10:14 PM
    • 2,333 Posts
    • 12,453 Thanks
    milann
    Is Marie Kondo on tv - sounds interesting. Im not bad on my decuttering but I despair with my dh - I help him organise his junk (hobby stuff) and I turn round and things just find their way back to where they were..... I honestly dont know how 4 of us lived in this house before we had an extension - now there are only two of us with a dining room and bigger kitchen thanks to an extension - I have a room for my crafty stuff and dh has his man cave in childrens old bedrooms and were bursting at the seams...shows how expectations change - we never had cash or time for indulgent hobbies when we first moved in here.

Girlie drinks sound good, as does the pret coffees
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 16th Jan 19, 1:33 PM
    • 2,762 Posts
    • 17,461 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Yes she has a series on Netflix milann "Tidying with Marie Kondo." It's harder to de-clutter though if not everyone in the household is on board. I think some people don't see clutter it's perfectly normal to them and they're quite happy! I was brought up in a small flat and then a small prefab both had two bedrooms my sister and I had one and my grandmother had the other - my parents slept on a sofa bed in the living room until my nan passed away. But we were never surrounded with clutter! People like us had less money to spend and, in general, there wasn't the extreme consumer culture then that there is now. The real consumer bingeing didn't get going till the 80s. When I got married in the early 70s our own home wasn't cluttered either my OH and I didn't have much money and so never had lots of things whether we wanted them or not!

END OF SCRIMPY WEEK 3!

Budgeted Spends Today: Today I've spend 11.25 on Odeon two-for -one tickets we're off to see "Stand and Ollie" on Sunday. Tonight I have my nail appointment (24). I won't be buying anything else today.

Non-Budgeted Spends Today: Nil

So final Scores on the Doors for the week is 46.85 to be winged over to Ad Hoc Savings!

I've been researching the coffee pods I think I'll go with Aldi as their pods are 10.12 for 60 pods! They have also come out top on a Which review of best tasting coffee pods. I mentioned this to DD last night and she said that I had actually been drinking them when I was staying with her and OH over New Year! I thought they were very nice! Can't pick any up till the weekend though.

I received some John Lewis and M&S vouchers as Christmas presents I've been mulling over buying a pouffe type footstool for some time I had a look on the JL website but everything I like is out of stock! There was nothing on the M&S website. I'm going to wait as JL will have new stock in for spring and I'd like to use my vouchers then.

Oh and I forgot - I lost 6lb when I weighed myself on Monday morning!

• in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 16th Jan 19, 9:55 PM
    • 5,609 Posts
    • 34,157 Thanks
    in need of direction
    hello, i'm back. impressed as always by your approach but, do tell, how do you forget a 6lb weightloss?
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 119,481.83 today 69,800.27, target 65,000 by 05/04/19 Offset fund today 447.27 target 5,500 by 05/04/19
    Emergency fund 1,100/5.5k & 200/200 cash.
    Weight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 13st 10lb
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • milann
    • By milann 16th Jan 19, 10:12 PM
    • 2,333 Posts
    • 12,453 Thanks
    milann
    Think I might have found your 6lb - at least some of it anyway....cant stop eating rubbish in between meals

We had some cinema tickets bought us for Christmas and fancy Stan and Ollie

Ill find the cleaning programme on Netflix - might have to pin dh down to watch it
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 16th Jan 19, 10:19 PM
    • 8,366 Posts
    • 64,603 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Well done on the six pound weight loss and I hope you enjoy Stan and Ollie .
    EMERGENCY FUND 2,000
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 17th Jan 19, 7:26 PM
    • 2,762 Posts
    • 17,461 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    hello, i'm back. impressed as always by your approach but, do tell, how do you forget a 6lb weightloss?
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    Nice to have you back inod! re weight loss - I forgot to post it on my diary! Tbh it's good, but it was after the first week of the diet and I always record a biggish weight loss then so I don't get excited about it. It tends to settle down in future weeks.

Think I might have found your 6lb - at least some of it anyway....cant stop eating rubbish in between meals

We had some cinema tickets bought us for Christmas and fancy Stan and Ollie

Ill find the cleaning programme on Netflix - might have to pin dh down to watch it
    Originally posted by milann
    at finding my lost lbs! Re the programme - I think most men who don't 'see' clutter would think they've been dropped into the 10th Circle of Hell if they had to sit through Marie Kondo tidying up! (I've just invented the 10th Circle of Hell - it's reserved for those who like living with or don't see clutter!)

Well done on the six pound weight loss and I hope you enjoy Stan and Ollie .
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thanks Hairy - I'm looking forward to the film on Sunday.

• Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 17th Jan 19, 7:50 PM
    • 2,762 Posts
    • 17,461 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Scrimpy Week 4 - January

So today was a NSD day all round!. I have 51.43 in the Ad Hoc Spends pot for this week so will see how well I do.

I had a great surprise today as I've been checking my top Cashback account regularly to see if the big Cashback payment of 112.93 was ready to be paid. Nearly all of this sum was made up of the really good deals I got through hotel bookings earlier last year as they had bonus Cashback on them. I've had to wait ages for the payout though, but got the go-ahead today so I've withdrawn it and will allocate it in the savings pot when it hits my bank account.

Looking ahead I've a nice weekend coming up - DD and OH are driving down to have a late Christmas as they didn't get to exchange pressies with DSis's family. They'll be staying at DSis's and we're all meeting to have an early dinner out on Saturday night.

Sunday I'm at the cinema but all paid for here.

On Wednesday evening I'm out with DSis to see 'The Bodyguard' so we'll probably have a couple of drinks at the theatre - which is local so not too late getting to bed.

One more day at work tomorrow and then the weekend!

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 17th Jan 19, 9:00 PM
    • 2,877 Posts
    • 18,518 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Well done on the weight loss SSG,. You have done well with your scrimping and your TCB payment , it all counts.

Stan and Ollie seems to have been well received by people who have seen it so hope you enjoy it as well. Have a great weekend with your family DD and partner , DSis as well.

Have you had anymore contact with your friend who is ill?
    CC1 2980 Feb 2019.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 17th Jan 19, 9:04 PM
    • 8,366 Posts
    • 64,603 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    That sounds like a great weekend coming up for you SSG, enjoy .
    EMERGENCY FUND 2,000
    • milann
    • By milann 18th Jan 19, 9:07 PM
    • 2,333 Posts
    • 12,453 Thanks
    milann
    Enjoy your weekend.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 18th Jan 19, 9:09 PM
    • 2,762 Posts
    • 17,461 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Well done on the weight loss SSG,. You have done well with your scrimping and your TCB payment , it all counts.

Stan and Ollie seems to have been well received by people who have seen it so hope you enjoy it as well. Have a great weekend with your family DD and partner , DSis as well.

Have you had anymore contact with your friend who is ill?
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    I phoned her today Cumbria. She's waiting to see the consultant again re the op now she has decided to go down that route - she sounded positive - we are all relieved.

That sounds like a great weekend coming up for you SSG, enjoy .
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thank you Hairy.

But I got up this morning to a text from DD who sent it very late last night whilst I was asleep. An important issue she has been working on has taken off and she has to work over the weekend to prepare for a meeting on Monday morning. She had already spoken to my DSis to let her know. DD and her OH are aiming to come down in two weeks time now. So I feel a bit mewh today as I was looking forward to seeing them.

The positive today was that it was a NSD on both budgeted and non-budgeted spends.

Tomorrow I've got my monthly pedicure in the morning (22). Will also hit the greengrocer and Aldi.

Cleaning/Organising Programme - not much to do the last couple of days as the routine was still concentrating on the kitchen which is really ok because of the recent refit.

The Cleaning part concerned the pantry/larder, the oven, hob and microwave and finishing the rest of the kitchen, I.e. counters, windows, floor etc. It's all ok - I'll do the floor tomorrow when I do my weekly cleaning.

The Organising Part - Food Storage Container Cupboard! Don't have a cupboard, I have a space in a drawer and all ok. Glasses Cupboard - all right here as well! Cutlery Drawer - ditto!

Maintenance Tasks - Laundry Room - haven't got one! Do the Laundry - I keep on top of this anyway! Living Room - will dust and vacuum here tomorrow.

So now the kitchen has been finished, the routine moves on to the Bathroom tomorrow. So things will shift up a gear!
    Last edited by Seasidegal58; 18-01-2019 at 9:11 PM.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,102Posts Today

6,666Users online

Martin's Twitter