Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 18th Sep 16, 1:27 PM
    • 2,365Posts
    • 14,661Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Paid off the 31,000! BUT - still scrimping!
    • 18th Sep 16, 1:27 PM
    Paid off the 31,000! BUT - still scrimping! 18th Sep 16 at 1:27 PM
    Heres to my new shiny diary now that I am debt free!

I have finished my previous diary which detailed my debt free journey. This went well for some months I then failed dismally, managed to pull myself together to pay off half then had a lucky windfall which cleared the rest. If you want to have a look its called Scrimping Behind the Scenes with Debt of 31,000! (sorry, I cant manage to get the link to work!).

In the diary I detailed how I was trying to pay off the debt without alerting the fact to family and friends as I was too embarrassed to let anyone know the extent of my folly!

I have however decided to carry on scrimping as I have a few retirement issues coming up. One of the things that will make scrimping easier is that I dont have to do this in secret anymore! My reasons for cutting back financially will be out there for friends and family to see which will let some of the pressure off!

I am now in my early sixties but my State pension will not kick in for another four and a half years. I will not be getting the full whack as I have had contracted out of the second State pension because I was a member of a previous employers final salary scheme. Luckily this pension will take a little of the headache away and I have a couple of small DCB schemes from other employment over the years though these will not amount to much. I am in my current employers company scheme and both they and I pay into this though again its not going to be life changing!

I calculate that I when I retire my income will be slashed by well over half so to carry scrimping would be a good run up to retirement test for me.

A big worry is that the firm I work for was recently bought out. I have been through this sort of thing with previous employers. What tends to happen is this:

1. Big lovey-dovey honeymoon period between new owners and old owners (who have been paid out, but stay on for goodwill).

2. New owners and old owners start to fall out over the management of the company. The new owners want to run the company their way and old owners think they know better.

3. Bad feeling hits all round and new owners start to have a people clear out.

Im rather apprehensive about the possibility of a people clear out because of my age. I think I will be ok as long as my boss is there but unfortunately he is older than me!

Accordingly, my next scrimpy goal is to fully fund my Emergency Fund. It currently stands at 3,000- but I would like to see it at 10,000 to feel safe. If I can fund it with 1,000 per month (like I did with my debt), I will have 10,000 by end April next year.

So today is going to be a NSD. I have 26.90 left spending money and 18.33 in the grocery budget till I get paid next Friday.

So here we go again interesting times!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- 10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 10/11/2018 - 1801.03
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 29
    My diary: Paid off the 31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!
Page 52
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 7th Oct 18, 6:21 PM
    • 2,500 Posts
    • 15,588 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Your kitchen sounds really modern, I bet you can't wait for it to start.

Prices are sometimes ridiculous for shows, I don't know where they get them from.

Living near Salford Quays , we have The Lowry Theatre , if you live in a salford postcode you can register for 10 tickets . They are short notice usually , but my mum, daughter and I have been to see some really good shows for 10 including warhorse .

The weather here has been lovely this weekend no rain, been up in the hills today and it was cold , but lovely.

Have a good week.
    CC1 3500 Nov 2018.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 7th Oct 18, 6:42 PM
    • 2,365 Posts
    • 14,661 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Thanks Cumbria - mixed feelings on the start of the kitchen but it's not large so hopefully won't take too long!

That's an excellent price for tickets. I have the Cliffs Pavilion and Palace Theatre near me - the first is a biggish venue - they have lots of varied acts and I'm been to concerts there where I've ended up paying half to see the same act than if they were at the O2 or a similar London venue.

Your hill walk today sounded just the ticket. My DD texted me earlier - she was on her way home after a lovely weekend in the wilds of North Wales. Quite envious of you both - no hills unfortunately where I live - everything is rather flat round here!

• Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 11th Oct 18, 9:08 PM
    • 6,429 Posts
    • 44,875 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    My kitchen was from Howdens - I went for the cream and light oak one. Very pleased with it. I had my whole kitchen totally remodelled last year, lots of upheaval but so worth it in the end.

Oh Soft Cell - takes me right back to my youth - Tainted Love on 12inch version
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2010 21.63
    Debt 1880
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    Emergency Fund 4000/10,000
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 11th Oct 18, 9:20 PM
    • 6,527 Posts
    • 47,511 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Your kitchen sounds really nice SSG. It will be worth the upheaval and you'll enjoy using it.

I'd love to go to the theatre again one day. My parents took me occasionally as a child, but I haven't been for years.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = 58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    EMERGENCY FUND = 17
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 13th Oct 18, 9:01 AM
    • 2,365 Posts
    • 14,661 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    My kitchen was from Howdens - I went for the cream and light oak one. Very pleased with it. I had my whole kitchen totally remodelled last year, lots of upheaval but so worth it in the end.

Oh Soft Cell - takes me right back to my youth - Tainted Love on 12inch version
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    I remember reading in your diary when you had your kitchen remodelled SA. My friend has a Howdens cream and light oak shaker style kitchen - it's lovely.

I had the 12" inch version of Tainted Love as well!

Your kitchen sounds really nice SSG. It will be worth the upheaval and you'll enjoy using it.

I'd love to go to the theatre again one day. My parents took me occasionally as a child, but I haven't been for years.
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thanks Hairy. Is there a local theatre group near you? The price of the tickets can be very reasonable.

A week has gone by again since I last updated. to be honest I've been getting in from work and having early nights. Then I started coming down with a cold on Thursday and the boss ended up sending me home yesterday lunchtime as I was sneezing so much - my nose was like a leaky tap! I went to bed when I got in, the got up for a couple of hours in the evening and then slept round till 8am. Feel a bit better but still bunged up. I was going to get some paint tester pots today for the kitchen but I think a quiet day indoors is in order today.

Nothing else much to report this week. I've got to sort out our my home contents and travel insurance which run out at the end of the month. Renewed my annual rail season ticket - 3408! But I bought on my M&S credit card so I'll get the loyalty points and my firm will reimburse me via the interest free season ticket loan scheme.

I finished reading my Steven Saylor novels including the latest one which I hadnt read before. It's funny - I felt like i said goodbye to an old friend when I had finished the last one. However I'm going to begin to re-read my C J Sansom Shardlake books as the latest is being released this month - again these are wonderfully written and the Tudor historical research is impeccable.

So a reading duvet day is in order - as long as my watery eyes can stand it!

Have a good Saturday everyone!

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 13th Oct 18, 9:14 AM
    • 2,500 Posts
    • 15,588 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    My eyes are watering as well at the price of your annual rail ticket ! If I hadn't arranged a visit from my friend I would be staying in today as well.

I love your kitchen colours , it is going to be great well worth the initial upheaval I am sure. Take care of yourself SSG . Enjoy your reading and duvet day.
    CC1 3500 Nov 2018.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 13th Oct 18, 9:30 AM
    • 2,365 Posts
    • 14,661 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Thanks Cumbria. I remember when we first moved out of London when I was fifteen, I had just left school and started my first job in the City. I was paid 8 per week and the weekly fare was 4!

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 13th Oct 18, 9:33 PM
    • 6,527 Posts
    • 47,511 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Your train ticket certainly is an eye watering price SSG. Hope you enjoyed your duvet reading day.
    EMERGENCY FUND = 17
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 14th Oct 18, 9:05 PM
    • 2,365 Posts
    • 14,661 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    The cost of my season ticket is pretty dire Hairy but it's the only way of travelling to get to work and back in good time.

Had another duvet day today - my leaky nose has dried up a bit but still feel rough. Managed to do the laundry but that was all I did re household. Still it meant yesterday and today were NSDs.

I'll see how I feel as to whether I go to work tomorrow.

Things I must do this week though:

- sort out best value home contents and travel insurance.
    - sort out train tickets for my early December trip to DD's.
    - sort out air tickets for my New Year's Eve trip to Scotland.

Off now to catch up with diaries and then bed!
    -

• Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 14th Oct 18, 9:29 PM
    • 6,429 Posts
    • 44,875 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Goodnight SSG, sleep tight xx
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2010 21.63
    Debt 1880
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    Emergency Fund 4000/10,000
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 14th Oct 18, 9:37 PM
    • 6,527 Posts
    • 47,511 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I hope you feel better tomorrow but if you don't then have another duvet day.
    EMERGENCY FUND = 17
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 15th Oct 18, 6:19 AM
    • 2,500 Posts
    • 15,588 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Hope you are feeling better today, if not stay at home and tackle your list of things to do.
    CC1 3500 Nov 2018.
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 15th Oct 18, 8:16 AM
    • 5,421 Posts
    • 32,300 Thanks
    in need of direction
    You've reminded me to sort out my insurance. Also, get those Scottish flights sorted, it's peak time to go there.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 119,481.83 today 71,743.47, target 65,000 by 05/04/19 Offset fund today 412.27 target 5,500 by 05/04/19
    Emergency fund 1,100/5.5k & 200/200 cash.
    Weight 8 July 14st 4lb
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Scott-Weiland
    • By Scott-Weiland 16th Oct 18, 2:25 AM
    • 315 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    Scott-Weiland
    re your rail ticket "How much lol" Is that for London I take it??

I will never moan about my bus travel card ever again
    Cashback Earnings Ish YTD 74.66 Survey Earnings YTD Ish 550.84
    Qmee 57.78 Since 3/11/2018
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 27th Oct 18, 7:05 PM
    • 6,527 Posts
    • 47,511 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Are you having a nice weekend SSG? Hope you're okay.
    EMERGENCY FUND = 17
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 28th Oct 18, 6:14 AM
    • 2,485 Posts
    • 7,758 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hope you are now feeling much better
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 28th Oct 18, 8:23 AM
    • 7,434 Posts
    • 16,404 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Hope you are feeling better.

Our new Howdens kitchen starts being fitted tomorrow. It was delivered last week. Presumably you know that if you take delivery in October you get a massive discount? We have opted for gloss dove grey too. Not sure about wall colours but going for a green/blue after two decades of yellow. We are going for upstands though and coloured glass splashbacks rather than tiles this time. We managed to sell our old one on gumtree which we have never tried before. Is that an option for you?
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • milann
    • By milann 29th Oct 18, 4:50 PM
    • 2,056 Posts
    • 10,091 Thanks
    milann
    Kitchen sounds lovely. Hope youre feeling better now.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 6th Nov 18, 9:22 PM
    • 6,527 Posts
    • 47,511 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I hope you're okay SSG. it's a long time since you've posted.
    EMERGENCY FUND = 17
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 7th Nov 18, 2:54 PM
    • 2,365 Posts
    • 14,661 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Thanks everyone for posting - I actually felt better and went into work but then succumbed to the horrendous cough! Felt quite rough lately but finally back to normal.

Enthusiasticsaver - the work on the kitchen started yesterday. I couldn't have the kitchen delivered before the work started as I have nowhere to store it in my flat. The guy who is doing the kitchen work has been dealing with Howdens for years and has arranged that to get the discount they delivered a couple of doors and shelves to qualify then they would deliver the rest as and when we needed them. They've thrown in the oven, hob, and extractor fan free.

So yesterday most of the old cupboards and work tops went, flooring and wall tiles off. It's not been quite as bad as expected as he has left my fridge in the kitchen as well as the old oven/hob and sink for now and will work round them. Todays work includes the ceiling being painted, walls being made good and plywood being put down on floor ready for floor tiles.

I've changed my mind re decor. I decided the dark blue wall tiles might be too dark for my small kitchen so am now going for long white metro tiles with pale grey grout.

The living room at one end is full of my kitchen stuff though. I thought I might be getting rid of some things when I went through it all but I did have a good declutter this time last year and haven't really bought anything else since then - so nothing really to go apart from a bag of food bits like herbs etc that are past their best.

So I'm off work this week and the work will go on into next but I'll leave the key with him as I've known him years and trust him.

Will pop back later!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,088Posts Today

6,818Users online

Martin's Twitter